What's new

Waste of time and money... Turbo TBI

I have a 91 TBI engine that I put a TBI designed Whipple supercharger on about 10 years ago. At 7 psi of manifold pressure at 3750 RPM's it went extremely lean, so I installed a 454-throttle body and it raised the lean condition to about 4100 RPM's. Took the vehicle to a dyno shop that could tune a TBI, and he was able to get a little more fuel out of it but still went lean about 4500 RPM's. Helped the power from the 2000 - 4000 RPM range but was not worth the money or trouble. Took the whole system off this year and installed a Fitech fuel injection system. Has more power over 4000 than it did with the supercharger. Morale of the story...install the turbo but use a fuel system that can flow some fuel. The TBI system will never get you what you desire.
Holy crap... a new member with useful information? Say it ain't so!:laughing:
I have a 93 K3500 I put a whipple supercharger on with a whipple designed chip and fuel pressure regulator and an upgraded fuel pump they recommended, I think it was a Corvette pump, It gave me a lot more power, got 6 mpg loaded pulling a carhauler with 5000 pound vehicle on it or empty. Had to run premium too. It blew the motor when I'm pretty sure I paid for premium that wasnt premium.Heard some knocking far from home, 30 miles later POOF! Cloud of smoke and done . Pulled the whipple and sold it for about what I paid for it and loved the gas money savings.

I have a 93 K3500 I put a whipple supercharger on with a whipple designed chip and fuel pressure regulator and an upgraded fuel pump they recommended, I think it was a Corvette pump, It gave me a lot more power, got 6 mpg loaded pulling a carhauler with 5000 pound vehicle on it or empty. Had to run premium too. It blew the motor when I'm pretty sure I paid for premium that wasnt premium.Heard some knocking far from home, 30 miles later POOF! Cloud of smoke and done . Pulled the whipple and sold it for about what I paid for it and loved the gas money savings.
I forgot to mention the horrible fuel mileage! Sounds like you had a lean condition also and with non-premium fuel they eat themselves for sure. We had the whipple designed chip in the ECM also but it never ran as expected. Possibly the TBI manifold was restrictive and not letting the system get its full potential.

I forgot to mention the horrible fuel mileage! Sounds like you had a lean condition also and with non-premium fuel they eat themselves for sure. We had the whipple designed chip in the ECM also but it never ran as expected. Possibly the TBI manifold was restrictive and not letting the system get its full potential.
I put over 20,000 hard miles on it, at the end of which gas was approaching 5 bucks a gallon. Don't miss it at all. Still have the truck with a new used motor.

Top Back Refresh