What's new

Wait, What? WHO warns against COVID-19 lockdowns due to economic damage

Over here, in a country that is fully masked and distanced (no lockdowns) we have about 4K new infections.
USA, were 50/50 do masking and people meet up for BBQs, about 53K new infections, down from 71K. ((compared to Germanies 16K, adjusted)

What is different? (Writing this from my office, where everything is as normal, nobody is wearing masks and shit, people getting food delivered and everyone talking about wtf is going on in the USA.

You don't want to adjust our numbers down from a population of 331 million to Germany? Or just taking everything at face value? :confused:

Over here, in a country that is fully masked and distanced (no lockdowns) we have about 4K new infections.
USA, were 50/50 do masking and people meet up for BBQs, about 53K new infections, down from 71K. ((compared to Germanies 16K, adjusted)

What is different? (Writing this from my office, where everything is as normal, nobody is wearing masks and shit, people getting food delivered and everyone talking about wtf is going on in the USA.

the difference is that the virus has fewer areas to run through in Germany compared to the US.

current US infections are being driven by the mid-west. Initial infections were driven by north east and north west, then mid summer numbers were driven by the South and the West and now it is driven by the Midwest.

this is the first wave, it is spreading like a wave, a fire or a virus. pretty typical shit.

Hey smooth
​​​​​​ brain: https://www.mylifeelsewhere.com/coun...states/germany

There's your main difference.

You also discount cultural differences, germans keep to themselves and follow rules, americans do not. No amount of masking edicts will change that. In my time in germany I never heard "I'm a hugger" as some swamp creature is just instantly hugging you the second they meet you:mad3: unlike here in the states.

Hopefully Americans never start following absurdity and "rules." At least not as a whole. We'll always have those European nut swingers here that think we should try to be like Europe, which in my American opinion is a huge, heaping pile of garbage. :flipoff2:

Eviltwit still doesn't get it that we don't care what they think...insanity.

the difference is that the virus has fewer areas to run through in Germany compared to the US.

current US infections are being driven by the mid-west. Initial infections were driven by north east and north west, then mid summer numbers were driven by the South and the West and now it is driven by the Midwest.

this is the first wave, it is spreading like a wave, a fire or a virus. pretty typical shit.

I do not understand how people can't see this.

I realize this, but isn't that dismissing science? I can easily make that argument to my mil. Since that is how she discredits the Federalist article....

yes and no, we can say that UC Berkley and the State of CA concluded resoundly in 1919 that the mask mandates were minimally effective, if at all. that is science.

we can also say that we do not yet know if masking orders are minimally effective or not at all for 2019-2020, because we can only make that claim looking backwards.

the greatest disservice to science is calling this virus "airborne". it is not, in no way, never was and should never be considered 'airborne', as we confidently know that it, and all of it's type, require to catch a ride on rather large ships to fall through the air.

yes and no, we can say that UC Berkley and the State of CA concluded resoundly in 1919 that the mask mandates were minimally effective, if at all. that is science.

we can also say that we do not yet know if masking orders are minimally effective or not at all for 2019-2020, because we can only make that claim looking backwards.

the greatest disservice to science is calling this virus "airborne". it is not, in no way, never was and should never be considered 'airborne', as we confidently know that it, and all of it's type, require to catch a ride on rather large ships to fall through the air.

We can say that masks are ineffective in 2019 due to the average citizen inability to use them properly, we can also say that masks were tried with a far more deadly, and contagious virus with very minimal mitigation. Also with new science we can say that more people with masks are getting the virus than people that aren't wearing masks. I assume mostly because inability to use them properly though.... those are things that we can prove, it's at this point a waiting game for that data to be shared. :rolleyes:

We can say that masks are ineffective in 2019 due to the average citizen inability to use them properly, we can also say that masks were tried with a far more deadly, and contagious virus with very minimal mitigation. Also with new science we can say that more people with masks are getting the virus than people that aren't wearing masks. I assume mostly because inability to use them properly though.... those are things that we can prove, it's at this point a waiting game for that data to be shared. :rolleyes:

well, I would say all those things. the WHO, and even until overly politicized the CDC, agreed for a very long time. the WHO didn't cave, inasmuch as they have still only softly supported masks, until significant political pressure.

so yes, demonstrating that the materials are ineffective for their purpose, the sanitation aspect is wildly against them, and the obvious negative associated with them, we can all KNOW that general mask mandates are wholly a negative to every effort, but we cannot yet "prove" with the science that they are complete trash, because that can only happen afterwards :rasta:

They initially discouraged masks so there wouldn't be a massive run on them and medical professionals "who needed them" would have them.

That's not what he said.

"If you look at the masks that you buy in a drug store, the leakage around that doesn't really do much to protect you. People start saying, 'Should I start wearing a mask?' Now, in the United States, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to wear a mask." - Dr. Anthony Fauci

The current population of Germany is 83,860,174 as of Tuesday, October 13, 2020

The current population of the United States of America is 331,552,784 as of Tuesday, October 13, 2020, based on Worldometer elaboration of the latest United Nations data

:usa:

I went and studied the CDC guidelines for mask usage as PART of the overall strategy for mitigating transmission. Then I observed human nature and everyone almost constantly touching their mask and face without the appropriate disinfecting that is supposed to be done. I arrived at the conclusion that the mask bullshit is about as effective as tossing a fucking floor mat on a steel winch cable to slow it down when it breaks under high load. About fucking useless.

You're not wrong. But that is only in getting infected yourself.

If an infected person comes into a space and touches their mask and rubs their eyes, then coughs or sneezes, the mask still prevents droplets from escaping, thus protection OTHER PEOPLE.

You guys are arguing against basic physical science because you don't like the mask.

If you want a reasoned approach to this issue, go to my "Anti-masker" thread.

Hey smooth
​​​​​​ brain: https://www.mylifeelsewhere.com/coun...states/germany

There's your main difference.

You also discount cultural differences, germans keep to themselves and follow rules, americans do not. No amount of masking edicts will change that. In my time in germany I never heard "I'm a hugger" as some swamp creature is just instantly hugging you the second they meet you:mad3: unlike here in the states.

That is certainly a big part of it. Although bbq and garden parties with family, friends, neighbors are litte super spreaders here as well. But summer is short. Or it's so hot and humid that nobody nobody moves. Then it rains. And rains... And rains. Then you have three days of nice weather, during the work week of course, because this weather follows govt. rules too.

You're not wrong. But that is only in getting infected yourself.

If an infected person comes into a space and touches their mask and rubs their eyes, then coughs or sneezes, the mask still prevents droplets from escaping, thus protection OTHER PEOPLE.

You guys are arguing against basic physical science because you don't like the mask.

If you want a reasoned approach to this issue, go to my "Anti-masker" thread.

I'm not arguing against the mask, I'm astounded that the mask is the hill so many are willing to die on when it is only one small part of the mitigation factors and the way they are worn are for all intents and purposes, fucking useless. Observation is not a position. It is as absurd as 5'-11" being inside the spray zone and 6'-0" being safe.

One wave looks like the rest of them to me. But yea, if we take the countries of the EU into account, there are some "idiot states" as well...

​​​​​

One wave looks like the rest of them to me. But yea, if we take the countries of the EU into account, there are some "idiot states" as well...

​​​​​

alright, well if the waves all look the same, then you should plainly be able to see the propagation of the virus across the great land mass of the USA. "idiot states"....would you say that CA and NY are "idiot states"? they went into similar mandates and lockdowns as Germany, yet they've both had significant outbreaks and spread of covid, just like germany has.

the "idiot states" vs the "authoritarian states" are BOTH experiencing similar spreads and similar levels of infection with only minor difference in spread rates, potentially, and with no change in total infections, likely

Top Back Refresh