IFS stuff on woodpecker in early 2001

AZ Run I (42).JPG

Wipeout Hill at EJS 2003, still IFS
wipeout13[1].jpg

Me out hunting in my dad's 83 Yota...maybe around 1986
old pics_0019.jpg

Charoleau Gap early 2005 about a year after my first iteration of SAS
gap16.JPG

Was that when he converted it to have less sheetmetal?

I'm pretty sure that was the year. Turned it into a little pickup bed. As far as I know it's still that way, but he he hasn't owned it in quite a while. Damn now I have to dig up pictures.

I'm pretty sure that was the year. Turned it into a little pickup bed. As far as I know it's still that way, but he he hasn't owned it in quite a while. Damn now I have to dig up pictures.

Well, whenever it was, he did a very nice job from what I could see.

XtremeJ : CO vs CA fuckfest on Proving grounds, 2003...

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

I had a slight driveshaft issue here...
orig.jpg

:homer:

Man what a great week that was.

think I had 1000 into both XJs Max including getting them to Moab. Some guy I had never met from the NAXJA board flew into Denver and we put him in one and headed him in the direction of Moab. Was glad to see he made it that far.

Had some great wheeling trips around that time including the Jack trip when Goatman rolled. We had friends with us who could not believe the trails or the lunatics we hung out with.

miss those days

Nice to see your still around, I’m not sure why I didn’t make the user name connection. :homer:

I must be jaded, I always thought you guys were pretty mellow. Since I’m the shy silent type you guys are kind of mouthy but never lunatics.

Since I’m the shy silent type you guys are kind of mouthy but never lunatics.

You've obviously never camped near them in JV after they toured the other Western trails and finished there. Every night after a trail run it was like 3 manic episodes of Monster Garage Cutting, banging, beating, grinding, sparks flying and they even spent a few minutes working on the rigs for the next day. We saw one of them trying to figure out how to reattach the rear plastic lift gate pieces which was a solid 2 hours of great entertainment. Up until that point I never knew were plastic.

You've obviously never camped near them in JV after they toured the other Western trails and finished there. Every night after a trail run it was like 3 manic episodes of Monster Garage Cutting, banging, beating, grinding, sparks flying and they even spent a few minutes working on the rigs for the next day. We saw one of them trying to figure out how to reattach the rear plastic lift gate pieces which was a solid 2 hours of great entertainment. Up until that point I never knew were plastic.

Nope I would have no idea. :laughing:

Had some great wheeling trips around that time including the Jack trip when Goatman rolled. We had friends with us who could not believe the trails or the lunatics we hung out with.

miss those days

I was behind Goatman when he rolled. Was a great trip.

Found a couple while cleaning out my filing cabinet. IIRC it was the summer of 1988, Tan FJ was my daily and was just wrapping up the project. 350sb 3 speed with 4:10 homebrew swap wand homebrew ps conversion/ backyard paint. It still had the OG fuel tank which maybe gave me a 60 mile range on a good day, I got used to hauling extra fuel cans that year.
20210116_162712.jpg
20210116_162753.jpg

Found a couple while cleaning out my filing cabinet. IIRC it was the summer of 1988, Tan FJ was my daily and was just wrapping up the project. 350sb 3 speed with 4:10 homebrew swap wand homebrew ps conversion/ backyard paint. It still had the OG fuel tank which maybe gave me a 60 mile range on a good day, I got used to hauling extra fuel cans that year.

Wow; wheelin' at the Equator....:flipoff2:

Found some old wheeling pictures from when I was stationed in Panama (Army) 1990 - 1995:

The jungle had just about reclaimed this road. When I got through this section, I had enough insects crawling on and in my Jeep to start an insect zoo.
1668355050180.png

1668355090392.png

Panama had no shortage of mud.
1668355181460.png

Red Jeep above was my 1st Jeep. A '78 CJ5 w/ a 304. My second Jeep was a yellow '82 CJ5 w/ a 258, but had 4.10's, LSD in the rear and PowerLoc in the front (it eventually got a 327 SBC swap and Detroit locker F&R (seen at the bottom of the hill in the next pic).

Slope is steeper than it looks (as usual). I think he broke a rear driveshaft U-Joint. Before I climbed on the front corner the front tire was just a couple of inches off the ground. Blue Jeep had a Buick V-6 in it IIRC.
1668355255955.png

Soldiers were not known for having the best running vehicles. This POS Chevy Blazer was so rusty that after a few hours of wheeling, the entire driver's side door sill fell out on the ground when the owner opened the door. Just prior to this picture, the battery holder ripped loose and the battery was hanging from the battery cables dragging on the ground. Attempting this hill, the T-Case kept jumping out of gear whenever it was put in 4WL.
1668355753754.png

On the positive side of being in Panama, labor was cheap. This paint job cost me $500 plus materials (in 1995). Acrylic Lacquer color coats, Dupont Imron clear coat. It's hard to see in the picture, but the yellow is a pearl yellow. I eventually had the wheels painted to match: pearl white with blue spoke centers.
1668356130058.png

Snagged an envelope of pictures that one of my dad's long time friends brought over recently. Earlier-ish 1980's? Paul's CJ-5 would've been new or damn near new at the time. The MB is my dad's.

IMG_20221224_0006.jpg

IMG_20221224_0002.jpg

IMG_20221224_0007.jpg

IMG_20221224_0008.jpg
Very Washington looking there for sure. I lived in far SE Wa and ran up into the hills out of Naches in the summer. It was like stepping back in time. All the Jeeps looked like that and it was like 1994. Ok there were some more "modern builds", but a ton of traditional stuff. I liked it then and now.

Very Washington looking there for sure. I lived in far SE Wa and ran up into the hills out of Naches in the summer. It was like stepping back in time. All the Jeeps looked like that and it was like 1994. Ok there were some more "modern builds", but a ton of traditional stuff. I liked it then and now.
Pretty sure the last two are Elbe, might be Naches. I need to find the other photo albums he had, lots of pics from Naches and Shoestring. Also have pics of Elbe back when all this long wheelbase big tire stuff everyone runs now wouldn't have fit down most of the trails.

I want to get it back together and do the Naches from end to end next summer.

I was almost too big to fit through some of it. I had 60" axles in a CJ but with 12" wide bart wheels. Snowcrawler thing. Guy in front had a set of 32" tru trac tires and a weak powr lok rear end. Stock 58 CJ with a 4-cylinder. He got stuck twice on one hill. I ask him how often this happens, and he says, "today?". It was a time warp.

I have always been real curious about rim rock lake area etc. but I think my Bronco is too wide for that.

Pretty sure the last two are Elbe, might be Naches. I need to find the other photo albums he had, lots of pics from Naches and Shoestring. Also have pics of Elbe back when all this long wheelbase big tire stuff everyone runs now wouldn't have fit down most of the trails.

I want to get it back together and do the Naches from end to end next summer.
demo old 3.JPG

This was us building the bridge at the bottom of the busywild in 05. We had just finished and are ripping the old one out.

Top Back Refresh