What's new

Useless things about your day!

Easy Monday job for the A&M fire service boys up on the Red River.

Had to update some ECMs to allow the brake pedal to change to decel pedal. During flashing my comm adapter cable takes a shit and blanks the engine ECM... So that's a fun story to tell the bosses.

Scrounged a old spare (that was bad) and I'm 87% through trying to unfuck this...

1000014481.jpg

1000014480.jpg

Easy Monday job for the A&M fire service boys up on the Red River.

Had to update some ECMs to allow the brake pedal to change to decel pedal. During flashing my comm adapter cable takes a shit and blanks the engine ECM... So that's a fun story to tell the bosses.

Scrounged a old spare (that was bad) and I'm 87% through trying to unfuck this...

1000014481.jpg

1000014480.jpg
Well isn't that fancy. Last dozer I ran I hought was fancy cause it had a cab and heater. One before that used cables for the blade.

Well isn't that fancy. Last dozer I ran I hought was fancy cause it had a cab and heater. One before that used cables for the blade.
Yeah this is about as fancy as it gets but since it's fire service they are extra persnikity about how much fancy they actually want...

So...

I think I mighta knocked the rings outta the car again.
This'll be the fifth time I've had the head off in the last 100k.

Just took off a couple more ply separated rear tires 70 mi ago, too.
Oh well, it's close enough to timing belt time anyways.

cables can be nice in certain areas, they don't age out like hydraulic seals do and they ain't particularly specialized when they do get frayed (or idioted)
Yeah I've come to realize that a lot of that ancient shit ages better than the newer stuff even if the newer stuff runs nicer. I'd rather pull a 40s cable machine out of the woods than a 60s hydraulic one.

Yeah this is about as fancy as it gets but since it's fire service they are extra persnikity about how much fancy they actually want...
Would figure you fires you'd want a mechanical dozer, 1990s tech at most, and not this new fangled stuff with computers and DEF.

So...

I think I mighta knocked the rings outta the car again.
This'll be the fifth time I've had the head off in the last 100k.

Just took off a couple more ply separated rear tires 70 mi ago, too.
Oh well, it's close enough to timing belt time anyways.
How do you knock the rings out?

How do you knock the rings out?
get them too hot and they butt

The simple answer is too much fuel. The alternative answer is too small of a turbocharger.
I'm going with the second one.

Don't know if I'm gonna pull the engine from the insight and stick it in the jetta or if I'm gonna pull the jetta motor apart.
jetta motor has a timing belt that's about 10k from needing to be replaced, insight one is brand new but about 8 years old. Insight also needs a different motor adapter plate, since the current one is wrong for a couple reasons...
Eh, fuck.

That's the spirit. :laughing:
It's especially funny because I was just making fun of a bunch of people on a different forum for being weenie idiots and buying tiny aftermarket bolt-on turbo "upgrades" that aren't actually significantly better.

While I've got the little tiny turbo off a '13ish dodge dart fiat multiair motor booger welded to my manifold. Too small.
Dunno if it is getting an HX40 or a TP38, either way it's going on with one volute blocked shut because 1.9 liter displacement

Blowers are not really interesting, I'd like to do a centrifugal at some point, but fixed displacement just doens't do it for me
I’m surprised you’re not slapping a new cartridge in whatever diesel truck turbo is in the trash at work.
I actually never work on diesels "at work"
Way too snooty and progressive of an area for that kind of scum to come in.

One time an ALH came in for a no-start. Of course I'm not the one that looks at it.
I ended up wandering over to the guy that got it to look at and diag-ing it for him in a few seconds
Really shoulda let him condemn it to death, then scooped it up for scrap money.

While I've got the little tiny turbo off a '13ish dodge dart fiat multiair motor booger welded to my manifold. Too small.
Dunno if it is getting an HX40 or a TP38, either way it's going on with one volute blocked shut because 1.9 liter displacement
I’ve got a brand new hx35 if you need one. Was a spare for a gm vortec generator. If not, I’m gonna see how long a stock samurai will last on it.

I’ve got a brand new hx35 if you need one. Was a spare for a gm vortec generator. If not, I’m gonna see how long a stock samurai will last on it.
Gas engine application ones got really big housings
what's the number inside the turbine inlet flange? Bet it's like a 21cm^3

which is to say, thanks, but you use it for your own learnings, I'm perfectly capable of buying them as they come up reasonable

Gas engine application ones got really big housings
what's the number inside the turbine inlet flange? Bet it's like a 21cm^3

which is to say, thanks, but you use it for your own learnings, I'm perfectly capable of buying them as they come up reasonable
It’s sat on my shelf for 4 years. IIRC it’s a T3 flange.

wtf
car maybe honey badger healed itself?
I have no idea at all
it still has a fuckton of blowby but it isn't 10psi under the oil cap worth like it was last night
Maybe the rings were just stuck in carbon poop or something.

Guess we'll see what it does when I drive it today.

wtf
car maybe honey badger healed itself?
I have no idea at all
it still has a fuckton of blowby but it isn't 10psi under the oil cap worth like it was last night
Maybe the rings were just stuck in carbon poop or something.

Guess we'll see what it does when I drive it today.
Road draft tube and send it

Road draft tube and send it
it's been farting into a gallon antifreeze bottle for the last 200k or so
really glad it is every time I've stuck or broken piston rings since it pretty much immediately ejaculates all the oil out the piece of heater hose shoved in the enlarged valve cover hole
that into the intake wouldn't hydrolock or anything, it just makes limping it home more difficult being unable to dump the slop back into the crankcase every couple miles

Send that shit into the turbo and rig up a Detroit style gate valve in case it runs away. :flipoff2:
has a flapper in the intake
it just isn't hooked up to anything, been meaning to set up a bicycle brake cable on it for cable-yanking action, but ain't got no roundtoits yet

So the car is back to normal.
Maybe it had a bunch of coke built up in the piston bowls that had gotten hot enough to burn, so it was running hard against itself on that false fuel (ALL the ignition advance since the fuel's in there as the piston's going up) causing the extreme blowby when it was hot, then.

Dunno.

In case anyone was wondering you can't buy replacement brackets for the HF tow bar. Got some Curt brackets on order. We'll see if they fit. Internet says they're too wide so I might have to weld some washers on.

Top Back Refresh