What's new

Useless things about your day!

Well, it's in the 70's and raining fish (on TX side). Weather Channel is predicting single digits wind chill Sunday morning.

I fucking hate this place.
50s in KC Friday and the bottom is dropping out Friday night, high of 20 and snow Saturday.

Drove the rig to work to throw some bump stops on in preparation for a big trip next weekend. Motherfucker decided to do this goofy thing where it won’t start unless you pull start it. Crank crank crank and it just won’t hit, but as soon as you pull it it will kick off instantly.

Riding home pissed off in an uber after an already shitty day full of nonsense. Going to bed asafp just to go ahead and begin the reset process.

Drove the rig to work to throw some bump stops on in preparation for a big trip next weekend. Motherfucker decided to do this goofy thing where it won’t start unless you pull start it. Crank crank crank and it just won’t hit, but as soon as you pull it it will kick off instantly.
prolly a weak battery
lotsa chrysler trash will just not fire at all below like 9.5v or some such totally normal cranking voltage

I won't bother making a thread on it, but working on the HOnda Shadow tonight. Fighting a no spark. Just tracing wires for the time being.

However, top of the stator cover where the pulse generator leads into the cover. That little rubber jobber to create a seal. I'm getting a whitish bubbly fluid popping out of it. Could it be full of water? I'll yank the cover tomorrow, but curious ahead of time.

I mean, what the hell could be in with the stator that's causing a fluid to come out of the pulse generator hole?

Sold my trailer about a year ago, 12k trailer, 14' plus a 2' dove. Pretty nice trailer. Always was a bit too short for anything bigger than my old YJ so ramps had to come off every time. Was a bit annoying.

Plan was to buy an 18 or 20 footer to replace it. Yeaaa, should have just kept mine. Everything out there is junk with no title or old junk that is priced similar to new :shaking:

Bro, climate change. If you'd stop driving those gas guzzling vehicles and got you an electric car the weather would fix itself. :homer:

:flipoff2:
Hunting season, I've been driving my truck (gm 6.0) alot the last 2 months. 11mpg is flat out destroying the weather patterns around here.

I've seen it rain frogs before, but never seen it rain fish.

270223397_3114694935425885_257843419854263486_n.jpg

Hunting season, I've been driving my truck (gm 6.0) alot the last 2 months. 11mpg is flat out destroying the weather patterns around here.

I've seen it rain frogs before, but never seen it rain fish.
Throw them in a container of salt and wait a month. You'll have the perfect beer drinking snack.

Dissimilar metals buried underground with water going through them? What could possibly go wrong?
IMG_20211230_114202~2.jpg

(Galvanized 3/4" NPT to barbed fitting where the inside was eroded enough that it ate through to the root of the threads)

Aaron Z

Brand new battery, but not exactly a top of the line unit. You may be on to something though.
prolly a weak battery
lotsa chrysler trash will just not fire at all below like 9.5v or some such totally normal cranking voltage

Well, fuck.

I stopped by the only local electronics store, Frigid North Electronics Supply, to pick up some resistors.

And they're gone. Closed, dark, building for sale.

I've been buying overpriced components, wire, PC parts, etc from them since the 90s. It was like the army surplus stores back then- a big dark barn you could walk through, full of miles of shelves with millions of components in tiny boxes, with some gruff old guys who knew where every single thing was, and could help you reverse-engineer a Space Shuttle.

Well, bye, Frigid. :frown:

OWWNM3OWKVHBXAUFAVRRLMUO3Y.jpg

Frigid North launched when Jimmy Carter was president. It sold cables, wires and outlets for builders, plus hard-to-find components for computers and telecommunications equipment.

The business closed its doors on Dec. 7.

Tom McGrath, a founder, sold the business in 2014.

Bryant Trujillo and two partners bought it, around the time oil prices were crashing. Trujillo said his first year was a good one.

But the slowdown in the oil and gas industry and the reduction in other commercial activity sparked a multi-year recession, hurting sales.

Then the pandemic hit in 2020, causing more problems. Municipal requirements and concern for workers’ health forced the store to close its doors except for pickups.

Customers also increasingly shopped online, and the pandemic hurt electronics production and supplies. Prices for items like copper wire surged. Shipping delays lasted months.

There’s another long-term issue, Trujillo said. People these days increasingly replace electronic items instead of repairing them. That has hurt demand for parts.

“We’ve had a lot of customers who have been pretty upset and sad to see us go,” Trujillo said. “But most people who have shopped here for years have seen that the Alaska market has drastically changed, at least in our segment.”

GCI also removed its business about five years ago, as GCI was acquired by Colorado-based Liberty Broadband, McGrath said. GCI now purchases items out of state, he said.

McGrath still owns the property that houses the facility. He ran Frigid North for decades, with his wife, Judith, playing a key role.

“I hate to see it go, but it’s time,” he said. “It was a good run. I enjoyed it. And I provided a service for Anchorage.”

McGrath is handling the sale of final items at an online auction. McGrath will also sell the buildings and one-acre lot.

Trujillo, 34, said he plans to leave Alaska and work in the Lower 48 in software development.

“I love living here, but I see the economy up here struggling for a long time,” he said.

With Radio Shack already worthless/closed, the internet's all that's left. :/

And I missed the liquidation sale, too.

prolly a weak battery
Yeah, well...last time the alternator in my Grand Cherokee crapped out, I found out that Chrysler did one single thing right electrically- the spark plugs (and FI) were the very last to go, as the battery drained. That thing was still driving down the road with zero lights, no signals, no blower, no sign of life except the engine. :laughing:

Sold my trailer about a year ago, 12k trailer, 14' plus a 2' dove. Pretty nice trailer. Always was a bit too short for anything bigger than my old YJ so ramps had to come off every time. Was a bit annoying.

Plan was to buy an 18 or 20 footer to replace it. Yeaaa, should have just kept mine. Everything out there is junk with no title or old junk that is priced similar to new :shaking:

Called a guy about a trailer with almost no details on it other that needs work and one of the axles is broken. Also only to call, no texts or emails.

Hey, do you know the length/width of the deck?
Nope.
Uhh, could you measure it?
Nope.
Okayyyy then. Can I come see it? (about 30 mins out)
Not today.

Oh for fucks sake. He said call back on Saturday and he might have time to look at it/show it.

Called a guy about a trailer with almost no details on it other that needs work and one of the axles is broken. Also only to call, no texts or emails.

Hey, do you know the length/width of the deck?
Nope.
Uhh, could you measure it?
Nope.
Okayyyy then. Can I come see it? (about 30 mins out)
Not today.

Oh for fucks sake. He said call back on Saturday and he might have time to look at it/show it.
ask him if it cranks over.

I had a 14' plus a 2' dove goose neck. I put a set of folding ramps on it. Yeah, wished I'd kept it too. But at the time I wasn't wheeling anything and it just set taking up space.

Wasn’t thinking when pulling a raw water hose off the heat exchanger on the generator. 6+’ of head pressure pushing water through a 1.5” pipe. It was either me or my tools covered in salt water. Haven’t done much else besides fab stuff for the last few months so I guess i was due to get wet. One pant leg wet, splashed on my face, my shirt got covered and the ends of my long sleeve shirt, sweatshirt and work shirt

went to the range today with a buddy since he has cans in ATF jail.

He's developed a bullpup obsession over the last year.

AUGs are weird and I wasn't a fan. Super neat though. It was the full AUG experience with the waffle mags and OG scope. Wanted to grow my hair long and change my name to Karl.
Really dug his FS2000. I could get down with that.

Man, having gone through that heartbreak 5 or 10 times in the last decade.

Fuckin' ain't none of the old guard of local suppliers and surplus stores left. :c
:old man yells at cloud: Where am I gonna get parts to repair my wireless set?

I searched "Anchorage electronic component supply". First hit is BestBuy.com. Fuck off, Google.

Played golf with my Dad and my nephews (6 & 4) today. Our condo is right on the course so we just walk out after hours and play a few holes, they just kinda dink the ball along.

I was telling the older one a funny story my dad experienced on this one hole we were playing, and he stopped me halfway through with the punchline and said 'you told me that one last year!'

Thinking back to what I remember when I was 5, and now 6, I realized they're now able to call me out on shit. I need to adapt to that :laughing:

Played golf with my Dad and my nephews (6 & 4) today. Our condo is right on the course so we just walk out after hours and play a few holes, they just kinda dink the ball along.

I was telling the older one a funny story my dad experienced on this one hole we were playing, and he stopped me halfway through with the punchline and said 'you told me that one last year!'

Thinking back to what I remember when I was 5, and now 6, I realized they're now able to call me out on shit. I need to adapt to that :laughing:
My grandparents lived on a golf course in Arizona and out their back yard was a water hazard. We waded in like ankle deep and pulled out probably 50 balls. Sprayed them off and set up a table for golfers to buy them. We sold all of them, I forget how much for but we made a decent amount for being kids.

Top Back Refresh