What's new

Unfinished projects

I moved. Built a new shop while off on parental leave last summer, traded the leaky toolcat in on a newer one. Been working on an LMM swap into my 2010 Yukon XL a couple hours a month since going back to work. Still have at least a few months to go on it. At the rate I've been working on it.

Bought an unmolested 96 2 door Tahoe to build into another wheeler but havent touched it yet. Also bought a majorly molested 93 2 door Yukon on 42"s to rob of it's solid axles, transfer case, drive shafts and bumpers for the 96.

Haven't touched the Chevelle. Thinking about dropping it off to get it finished before I start on the Tahoe as I said earlier in this thread.

Next major project is to upgrade our electrical service from 100A to 200A and install a generator plug with transfer switch for critical loads, hook up the hot tub and fix the leak it's had for years and add a few more ceiling light fixtures in the house.

This summer I want to finish the LMM swap and finish the yard off. I have a couple trees to move around, two raised garden beds to move and then some sod to lay down to repair all the holes and trenching. If I decide not to finish the Chevelle on my own I'll drop it off mid August before I go onto night shift for our turnaround in Sept.

I have been booking days off when the kids are in daycare to work on my projects because I get zero time off on weekends. That has made a huge improvement in my mood and has me feeling like I am accomplishing things again, even if it is house/yard projects and not my vehicle projects.
I will need to book time like this as well. Weekends are a write off. I function better during the day versus at night; just the way I am wired.

I had to save vacation for Mexico but our year end is odd and ends in April. Had three days left so I am taking them in April to get whatever I can done… house or jeep stuff.

Fingers crossed one or both kids are not home from daycare those days 😂

Yeah i love our kid, but if hes around i dont get much done :laughing:

Someone, somewhere wrote about dedicating even a single hour if possible.
But to use that hour as best as doable.

This is what i try to do. An hour or two if i can, because anything i get done is something. I definitely used to get more done than i do now. Working night shift helps, but after almost 17 yearts of it im tired, all the time. The boy is turning 7 this summer, and i enjoy hanging out with him and doing random things, so while that cuts into project time, it doesnt bother me much.

Got off my ass yesterday and last night to glue these down. The landing needs glue and the nosing strip installed and then I can work my way down. A little bit of touch up paint required

Attachments

• IMG_5308.jpeg
    IMG_5308.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 22
I'll chime in here since I'm also good at creating more than I can do.
Life keeps on keepin on no matter how you feel about it. If your family is safe and fed then you've done your job. Stress is truly pointless,especially over some jeeps or house trim.
Spreading out your brain over ten projects is not cool. Write them down in order of importance and complete tasks to completion. If it doesn't get done then fuck it, Everyone is fed right?
There's always going to be a door,piece of trim or jeep that needs to be done. You could complete every task and the list will just start over till your dead. Only thing you can do is change how you look at it and understand it doesn't fall into the (are the lights on) category.

Why don't we trade work?

Someone here will wrench for house paint

Someone needs welding done but don't want to be part of post your shitty welds thread but can do house repairs etc etc

Last edited:
I have about 30 unfinished projects. I just started my computer up to check todays to-do list. I accidentally opened irate. I found this thread. Now I have 6 pages of crap to read before I make any progress on anything. It's a terrible cycle.

Good thread.

I considered to liquidate my projects.

But I decided to stop acquiring new projects or make things into projects.

I started my spring cleaning with scrapping a ton of shitty, broken or mismatched tools, parts, hardware etc.. Organize my tool box so I can work on my projects more efficiently.

-Re silicone and paint door trim in kitchen
-Build shelf to kee shit from falling behind the stove
-Make a box to cover vent pipe going into ceiling
-Hang lights in garage, add JBoxs for the screw in ones I bought too
-Add additional outlet in garage so freezer isn’t on an extension cord
-Run wire and put outdoor 110/220 outlets in sideyard
-Get garage door fixed
-Clean garage(this will never be done)
-Finish digging and build retaining wall in sideyard
-Build new side gate and weld hinges to hang on post
-dig out weeds behind fence and fill with weed barrier and left over base rock.
-Spray weeds sticking through around driveway
-Put down more rock and drive on it to compact it
-Throw away all the shit in the other sideyard, weed whack, rake up and spray it
-Tons of weed whacking, mowing, raking, weed killer-ing going on
-Figure out where to put play structure and trampoline
-Clear off patio, throw shit away
-Need a shed for all the bikes and other yard tools
-a fuck ton more stuff but that’s just SOME of the house stuff

Don’t even get me started on the bronco list :lmao:

This was from Feb 1st 2022
I've done 4 of these things🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️ some things changed but other shit has come up since then that needed addressing first.

I've done 4 of these things🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️ some things changed but other shit has come up since then that needed addressing first.
Hopefully all 4 items were on the bronco list!

Hopefully all 4 items were on the bronco list!
The bronco DID get a donor vehicle for the engine and trans since then so I guess that’s something 😄
Bought a commuter car and did a head gasket in July 2022. A lot of work on the truck since 2022. I’ve got another list for the bronco but I’m not going to bother taking up an entire page. I’ll just keep getting stuff vicariously through you and the commando

Lot of that is minor annoyance stuff I'd probably never get to either

But we've been living on subfloor since we moved into our place nearly a year ago, so pulling weeds and organizing doesn't even hit my radar

What I'm saying is start a major project and throw that annoyance list in the trash :laughing:

The bronco DID get a donor vehicle for the engine and trans since then so I guess that’s something 😄
Bought a commuter car and did a head gasket in July 2022. A lot of work on the truck since 2022. I’ve got another list for the bronco but I’m not going to bother taking up an entire page. I’ll just keep getting stuff vicariously through you and the commando
Kid 2 due in July. Commando ain't going nowhere!

At what point does a project, become not a project? Is a project ever finished?

We talked about three… I want three but I don’t want three. I’m stressed of feeling poors with two
#3 wasn’t planned. First was a crank baby and an easy toddler. Second was the opposite. Third is a combination of both love and chaos. I think 2 or 4. The third throws the numbers of sharing anything off. Example is amusement parks that have side by side seating

Deep breath.......:homer:

I got my fucked up project house finished, done, finished. Because I was selling it when I found a bigger one on bigger land, and it's a major project too:laughing:

My 79 f150 project was coming along pretty good in the parts gathering stage when my 14yo told me she wanted a 67 impala to drive to high school. We found the car, time is short, she gets her learners permit soon, she's holding up her end of the deal, straight A's and I don't wrench unless she wrenches. Getting the car road worthy and legal in July is priority, then a DIY single stage paint job by November

At this point, having family over in my new house for Thanksgiving is the goal

20230809_173752.jpg
20230611_170233.jpg
20231001_100523.jpg

She's changing the fuel pump, we did the tank and carb rebuild together. She replaced the starter and the rear u joint with supervision, actually makes a pretty good hand for a girly girl:usa:

20231217_131555(0).jpg

After the carb rebuild she got to take it on the maiden voyage. I've since put about 15 miles on it. I've got a punch list were working thru, hei, new radiator showed up today, needs rear springs, then reassess the drive shaft length and bentness. I may buy some tires and wheels for it and sell my DD making this my temp to keep the fire lit

Deep breath.......:homer:

I got my fucked up project house finished, done, finished. Because I was selling it when I found a bigger one on bigger land, and it's a major project too:laughing:

My 79 f150 project was coming along pretty good in the parts gathering stage when my 14yo told me she wanted a 67 impala to drive to high school. We found the car, time is short, she gets her learners permit soon, she's holding up her end of the deal, straight A's and I don't wrench unless she wrenches. Getting the car road worthy and legal in July is priority, then a DIY single stage paint job by November

At this point, having family over in my new house for Thanksgiving is the goal

She's changing the fuel pump, we did the tank and carb rebuild together. She replaced the starter and the rear u joint with supervision, actually makes a pretty good hand for a girly girl:usa:

After the carb rebuild she got to take it on the maiden voyage. I've since put about 15 miles on it. I've got a punch list were working thru, hei, new radiator showed up today, needs rear springs, then reassess the drive shaft length and bentness. I may buy some tires and wheels for it and sell my DD making this my temp to keep the fire lit

Following up from my late March post… actually got a few things done around the old joint!

Cut the stair treads down a bit because I am planning to install some faux trim that matches the stairs going up into the kitchen. The oscillating tool worked pretty damn good for this.

Installed my inner C’s on the axle as well. That was a cu^t

Attachments

• IMG_5458.jpeg
    IMG_5458.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5463.jpeg
    IMG_5463.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5464.jpeg
    IMG_5464.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
I heard this thread calling, thought I heard it calling my name.

MSP is swapped now do I can weld again after a month or so.

Rig still needs lots from me but I think I’m done buying parts.

Took two years but I swapped the frame out as well! Aftermarket fits pretty poorly… side trim pieces don’t match up. Still need to install the top header gasket but I got rained out so I tossed the cover on and will finish removing the double sided tape indoors.

Attachments

• IMG_5494.jpeg
    IMG_5494.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5496.jpeg
    IMG_5496.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5495.jpeg
    IMG_5495.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
Top Back Refresh