What's new

Unfinished projects

One thing that motivates me above all else is if I have another person taking their time to help me. Doesn't really matter who, if they are there, we're head's down working.

I don't think I've ever "finished" anything. Can't think of a single project that I've got completed past "good enough for now".
makes me real worried when I look at the current state of my house, lol

I don't think I've ever "finished" anything. Can't think of a single project that I've got completed past "good enough for now".
makes me real worried when I look at the current state of my house, lol
Your house has been "good enough for now" for more than a century. :lmao:

I was half tempted to stay off work for a month or so and start getting house shit done but bank account said no 😂
In the last 3!days I have
-weed whacked 95% of the backyard hill down to bare dirt(so we can put weed killer stuff down at the roots)
-raked all that shit down and stuck it in the yard waste bins. Those will be emptied in the AM.
-Mowed the weeds/grass on the flat section minus moving shit out of the way(kids have one less football now since it was hiding)
It feels good continuing to get shit done but I’m sore as fuck.

One thing that motivates me above all else is if I have another person taking their time to help me. Doesn't really matter who, if they are there, we're head's down working.
Had this discussion with neighbors a bit a go...

we all hate finishing our own projects - house, yard, vehicle, whatever. Suggested that we take one weekend/quarter and rotate projects. Get all 4 households working to finish one person's project... then rotate.

My wife has helped me get better at completing projects by nagging the shit out of me.

4 years ago I tore apart my 71 to fix the cab mounts and replace the clutch. Which turned into learning way to much about panel forming, replacing floors, and I should have just got a better cab. Currently it sits on its back and I have a fantasy the cab welding will finally be finished by may. Maybe by next spring it will even be driveable. I have a hell of a love hate relationship with this stupid thing

Attachments

• IMG_20211128_165347.jpg
    IMG_20211128_165347.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
Bump!

New kid here and the hallway still isn’t painted 😆 fuck.

Got the gazebo built but it’s not in its permanent home (not sure if that was on the first page)

Got my doors hung but not painted 😆

Sold the black TJ Rubicon and got that headache out of my life.

Willys project… not much of an improvement. Frame rails are tacked. Moved onto a more permanent structure so hopefully progress starts happening but its super cramped right now (it was before the container) until I figure out my work space.

Anyone else still making a snails pace?

Attachments

• A1791138-D843-4392-9615-E67EB5CFD3F0.jpeg
    A1791138-D843-4392-9615-E67EB5CFD3F0.jpeg
    410.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 9A3AE379-1DC3-43D9-9B66-FAE6A403B63E.jpeg
    9A3AE379-1DC3-43D9-9B66-FAE6A403B63E.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Bump!

Anyone else still making a snails pace?
Truck wise -

Got a new bombproof, billet everything Allison from Grendel and have that installed
Upgraded the engine mounts, improved coolant system routing, got the fuel system venting properly.
Got the on board air system built and the T-case air shifters hooked up and dialed in
Rear Teak floors are installed for the most part but I need to make another set of seat brackets
Started on getting the wind-up windows installed.

Big enjoyment moment and validation was taking it to the beach for a week in Avon, NC. My girlfriend and brother's wife also added to the attention we got on the beach.

20220913_112242 (1).jpg

Machine tool hoarding wise...
Decided my friend electrician will never come here to finish the machine shop wiring and light fixture exchange so I've started doing it myself
Got some parts in and made to fix some of my machine tools
Started sorting and selling surplus (talking more than 4 of one size) of drills, reamers, cutters, etc.
Bobcat + Pallet + steel plate = scaffold when you have 12' ceilings

20220926_165207.jpg

I figured that the hardest part for me is to get started to do the work.
Once I got my ass in gear it's somewhat easy.
Soooo, for 2022 I made a commitment to put it at least 30mn every day, no matter what.
Turns out that I almost every time went over the 30mn, just because I started the task.
I have tried to do that, it helps, even if it's just picking up the tools that I left out the last time.

I bought a nice dry erase board to hang in the garage so I didn't have random lists laying around everywhere. It's been on the table in the garage in its original wrapping for 4 months lol, once that thing gets on the wall maybe I'll start something
It helps if you update the project list from time to time, I have a whiteboard on the wall by my computer, it still has todo items for the big snowblower I sold a year ago...

Aaron Z

Setting aside dedicated time has helped me. Just having the scheduled time has helped me focus. Tuesdays and Thursdays after the kids go to bed, I go into the garage to work on projects.

The ford flatdeck is done..ish. Crane is on it, I do have a 2500lb atv winch for it that needs to be mounted and wired, and it needs an underbody box.

4runner rear window works again, and I have the rear springs, but I think there is a bearing on its way out in the rear diff.

Panda...I've done nothing since the shop collapsed last winter. Depressing.

Bw200 is running deadly.

Yz250f is running great.

Ttr50 is working great.

Parent's house is done and going on the market next spring.

I have a problem finishing house projects. I have zero confidence when it comes to carpentry. I go in with high hopes and get frustrated quick. My old house I had a bathroom gutted for 6yrs lol. Vehicle projects I have learned to take them in in small chunks and only modify a few things at a time to keep it drive able (wheel able for my Tacoma). If I don't do that it will get stuck on jackstands for years. Example is only keep the truck down for work for a few weekends. I'm getting ready to backhalf my Tacoma and im putting together a written work plan to avoid the "while I'm in here I may as well 4link it, 1ton swap, build a tube bed, cargo racking system etc..." Scope creep. It's cut the ass end of the truck off, install new frame rails, Chevy 63s, air bumps, raise the fuel tank and put the bed back on it and wheel.

I had posted this on our local forum years ago. Seems fitting to post here.

How to Survive the Project From Hell?​

So one day you walk out to the garage to see your latest project covered in dust and the boxes your wife moved out of the basement. You walk back in the house and ask your wife what she was thinking and she responds they've been there since last Christmas.

Uh oh... You're in project car hell!

Chances are, if you've taken on a big project you've ended up here. You might be thinking about parting it out for pennies on the dollar. You have hopes that someone would want to trade a finished project for your pile of parts. You've already mastered the avoidance trick. You've got tons of excuses to tell your friends, and they are all old and stale.

So how do you get out?

1. Find your happy place. Some of my favorite car memories are the day a project pays off. The day I drove my Wagoneer around the block after rebuilding the engine. A trip to Paragon after swapping in 60s. And my latest, driving across the lake bed in Johnson Valley after completing tearing down the TJ and rebuilding it. You need one. Working on your rig in 90* summer heat sucks, and so does walking out there when it's 0* and snowing. Everybody has their own pay-off, whether it's hitting 2-tracks up north with family and friends or making that 200' dune jump for the record.

2. Make a long term plan & stick to it. Chances are you got here because you changed your plans at some point in your build.

Sure, nothing ever goes strictly to plan; but you need to have an idea of what you want it to do. Everybody wants their rig to everything well, but there's compromises. Ever lived off a futon for more than a weekend? Do you want to do that again?

I have had many friends fall into Project Car Hell because one week they plan to make a super light crawler, then they go to a mud bog and decide that's what they want, then they hit an offroad race and that's the new plan. Then they drive to Dairy Queen in their wife's minivan and miss their jeep, so it has to be street legal.

So figure out what the mix is, and what compromises you plan to make. If you are going to do it in steps, figure that out, too. Except for a small group that do it as a hobby, buying and sell parts likely won't make you money, it'll just burn up the funds you've been setting aside.

3. Work on it. Here's how you stop the excuses. Start small, pick a time once a week that you can dedicate 3-4 hours to working on it and do it. Guard the timeslot like you would poker night, golf league, whatever. If you have a family, you may need to trade a different social night for it.

But here's the deal.. you need to actually work on it. Don't be lazy and sit on the couch after you've explained to your wife how important it is. Don't turn it into the beer drinking league. Turn off the computer and stop the random browsing. Turn off the shop TV. Move the boxes from the rig onto all the chair and stools in the shop so you can't sit down.

I can't tell you when to plan the time. 10 years ago, I could block off an entire Saturday or Sunday. Now with kids it's a week night. Figure it out. If you don't work on it, it won't get done. Unless of course you've got a money tree and you can drop it off a shop.. but then you wouldn't be in Project Car Hell.

4. Baby steps. Part of Project Car Hell is what we call at work "analysis paralysis". You don't know where to start, so you stand there, grinder in hand, trying to figure out what needs cutting.

Since you know what the long term plan is, you need to figure out what the best way to start. My friends and I have figured out that building suspension is best done at full bump. We generally work from the bottom up. Other guys build them a different way. But the thing to do is break the project down into pieces that you can see progress on. Don't think of it as "build jeep"; do it in pieces: build front suspension, install motor, build exhaust, etc.

This helps you from becoming overwhelmed.

5. Don't compare yourself with others. Some guys can buy a pile of junk and have it rebuilt and on the trail in a week. Who cares? Likely they've got a different skill set, different life priorities, whatever. Just focus on your project.

6. Invite friends.. but don't be a leech. Once you've got your standard time slot for working on it, you can speed the progress by getting friends to help out. It becomes easier to get them over once they know they can plan a certain evening when they have free time to come help. And if they know you'll be around to return the favor, then they may actually come and help.

With the big project broken into smaller projects, you'll be able to hand off jobs to them that they can complete, and everything moves forward. Also recognize when you need them and when you don't. If you've got a job that you need to get done on your own before you get started on the next part, tell them. That way they aren't standing around all night, drinking beer, watching TV, and getting you off track.

All of this seems so simple.. but how many folks live in Project Car Hell and can't get out of it? So, what's your advice? How did you break out of the Project from Hell?

Hmm bunch of rc shit I'll probably get to this winter, the wonton durry I'm building, my old daily flatbed needs the head pulled and replaced, the 83 methmobile needs the head and front end off the engine pulled and replaced. That's about it... Shit no I have the parts to do a suspension swap on a couple mini bikes and an enclosed trailer built off the U-Haul box I pulled of Wonton. Oh and my old odyssey now has a 600 sled engine on it and I'm told I can have it back, it's too sketchy for the kids to ride. :lmao:

Funny this got bumped today. The 1 rig I thought was good for now stared missing and threw a cel for #3 misfire. It's got near 350k miles so I shouldn't be surprised, but the timing just seems to always be the worst. Hopefully it's so stupid like a plug wire or Injector and not a hole in the piston :laughing:

Everything I have is a project.

81 Toyota: new to me crawler, just did a thrash fest to build a family cage and mount seats for 5. Took it to trail hero and beat it pretty good, it still drives, but needs a bunch of work

87 samurai: supposed to be a little redneck sxs. Has 32s and basic up grades. Was chasing a wierd fuel starvation issue and finally just threw a $600 fuel tank at it. Fixed that issue, but the last time I drove it, it randomly died. Was not out of fuel and wouldn't restart untill it sat for a bit? Starts right up now, but don't want to get stranded somewhere....

82 Toyota: stock truck that I got from my mom, was the truck I came home from hospital in. Hasn't ran in years and probably needs everything gone through.

99 suzuki sidekick: hacked it up to put 1 tons and 40-42s on. Lost motivation and not its a parts shed with 60s tacked under it :laughing:

97 f350: 7.3 was great for the last 10 years. Made it to 340k before eating a hole between the cyl and water jacket. Could have probably drove it another 10 years with a $1k 7.3 and $500 in parts, but I'm an idiot and decided to dive into a 12v cummins swap. It's mostly kinda done, just need to button up a bunch of details.

Various dirtbikes: wife's crf150f is great, my only 300xc is decent, probably needs some love. The kids bikes are pretty rough. Kx65 needs something fixed with the front brakes, then yesterday it really puked a loot of spooge out the pipe for some reason. Pw50 is OK, but is really weak. Ttr50 is hammed to shit. Gave up on the estart a along time ago, but it's really easy to push start, so meh.

The other problem is I have no where to store them. I can put them in the garage, but it fills it. I really want to get a small enclosed that they live in full time with gear, fuel, tools, ect. Then it's just hook up and go. Stupid trailers are like double what they were though. :homer:

The wife's 15 F150 is mostly problem free knock on wood but I'm not sure I trust anything newer all that much.

Oh and the 96 4runner was the one "older" rig that didn't need anything. Been a daily for a while. Until today, crossing my fingers it doesn't need an engine.

Last edited:
Kinda funny to look back at the first page of this thread and see myself talking about "Not acquiring more projects", between stuff that's fallen in my lap and stuff I inherited from my old man since I posted that (February) I've now added:

'87 Kawasaki Tecate 4, not a big project but I turned into more than it needed to be
'77 KZ650, more or less full re-choppering someone else's hack job
'53 IH R120, restoration/4 wheel drive conversion my dad started in the 70's, last licensed in '79
'45 Willys MB, dad's race Jeep, bought in '79, originally parked up in the early 90's and revived around '99? Then parked again, drove under its own power for the first time since then yesterday

Also have his '70 F-100 but that's more or less maintenance and tuning now. Needs little stuff like weatherstripping and a windshield.

I am sitting here watching it rain and thinking about all the shit that I need to do.

#1-- in my 64 Willy's Traveler I have the engine (350 SBC) on a stand rebuilt and mostly ready to go back in. The SM465/NP205, Bell housing, flywheel are out. The "new" 700R-4/NP 208 is on the floor in the way. It's been pushed out in the yard out of the way.

#2--08 JKUR Blew the engine on the way home after buying it (went 62 miles). After 8 months all the parts I ordered are here. Got the old engine out and all (I think) the parts I need are off of it. It's been sitting half done for at least a month now.

#3-- My car/ flat bed trailer. I fell through the deck so it needed to be replaced. I made the mistake of loaning it out, it came back with almost all the wiring fucked up and most of the lights missing or gone. Got new wood for the deck in 2 weeks, it took 8 months to get all the wiring and lights in. It's resting in front of the shop 20% or so done.

#4-- Camper, needs a new bed frame built and the 20 gal water tank swapped out for the 50 gal tank that's been sitting here for almost 2 years. The new electric jack needs to be put on. It needs a new awning. The fridge shit the bed and needs to be replaced so I can quit using my 2 Iceco fridge freezers

#5-- My little (5x9) trailer I built from an old 40's pickup bed or horse trailer needs rewired and a new battery box w/battery put in.

#6-- A trailer I'm building off an old Chevy truck frame is almost done just needs 10-15 hours of welding and 3 8 lug 16" steel wheels.

#7 I traded my 78 Blazer body for an 88 Suburban body. The engine/ trans-xfer case, axles and springs need to be swapped over.

I'll skip a few other hobbies I'm lagging on.

To be fair I've had some issues come up during these projects. Had my right leg chopped off above the knee, 4 surgeries on my left foot, separated my right shoulder and a couple of other little things. They slowed me down but are no excuse for not doing something/anything on any one of the projects.

figure out the root cause of your lack of motivation .

I finally figured out what was slowing me down, apathy.

Hmm bunch of rc shit I'll probably get to this winter, the wonton durry I'm building, my old daily flatbed needs the head pulled and replaced, the 83 methmobile needs the head and front end off the engine pulled and replaced. That's about it... Shit no I have the parts to do a suspension swap on a couple mini bikes and an enclosed trailer built off the U-Haul box I pulled of Wonton. Oh and my old odyssey now has a 600 sled engine on it and I'm told I can have it back, it's too sketchy for the kids to ride. :lmao:

Fuck I forgot about the 4 rc cars I haven't touched in well over a year :laughing: Capra needs a new stub shaft or pin or something and the 3 scx24s need whatever the kids at the party did to them fixed. Those things are great, but you almost need to be a surgeon to work on them :lmao:

Seriously. I could dig up Internet posts where I signed up for wheeling events 6 years ago. LOL. But 2022 is THE year! :smokin:

I probably should not bring up the entry way tile job I started 20 years ago. One of these days I will seal the grout and replace the trim on the steps. :lmao:

:frown: Well, the good news is, 2022 was THE year. Glad you got to wheel.

The bad news is motivation for the rest of us.

Top Back Refresh