What's new

Unfinished projects

[memphis]

Web wheeler
Member Number
I am terrible at finishing projects. Fell into a slump with my Willy’s project and haven’t touched it since before Christmas. It was months before that when I last tinkered with it.

Bought a TJ last February to take my mind off of the long term project and tackle small things. I learned about auto body paint, replaced the fenders but I have more bodywork to do and now the driver side body mount support is toast

My house is half painted, missing trim on my office downstairs and I can’t figure out where two years came and went… wife then wanted to replace a bunch of doors, got three done and three more to go.

I feel totally buried… between our 18 month old and one more on the way… I actually can’t sleep tonight because I’m so stressed out.

Oh yeah I just bought another TJ Rubicon today… why? Because it’s in better shape than mine cancer wise but the transmission is screwed. Ugh 😩

I know I’m not alone here but damn it! It’s a crappy feeling

LOL. My buggy project just entered year 8.

Mine took the better part of 5-6 years...it's funny (not funny) when you look at it around that 2 year mark and think, man, I'm almost there, this'll be done by next season!

JNHEscher , maybe a sore subject, but what ever happened to that little kid buggy thing you were building?

Stop buying into more projects and force yourself to commit and finish the current projects. Start with finishing painting your fucking house. :laughing:
In my defence Covid really F’d up the house renovations with delays and not being able to go into stores to view trims etc.

I thought I’d unload my current TJ or maybe just clean up and flip this new unit for a quick buck to dump that money into the Willy’s project.

In my defence Covid really F’d up the house renovations with delays and not being able to go into stores to view trims etc.

That's the excuse I'm using for my front porch renovation being stalled...I intended to have everything in place to do it by Fall 2020. Then I didn't receive the columns til March 2021, once I had those I was able to figure out the top rail material for the half wall, and I kind of designed the rest of the components around the sizing of that composite material, which then got backordered into oblivion and eventually cancelled. By Fall 2021 I was basically starting from scratch on that part of it, it was starting to get cold out, so I'm in research and fuck-it mode until Spring.

Mine took the better part of 5-6 years...it's funny (not funny) when you look at it around that 2 year mark and think, man, I'm almost there, this'll be done by next season!

JNHEscher , maybe a sore subject, but what ever happened to that little kid buggy thing you were building?
Being a stay-at-home dad, I've no income at all. I started the build while I was still working full-time in Missouri. Then, all of a sudden, when our first son was at about 6 months, my wife got the opportunity to start a job in Colorado, so I was left at home with our son. He outgrew the seat and the buggy parts are just occupying tubs or being cannibalized for the bus. Worst feeling I've ever had.

I have a 70 C10 project that I have not seriously wrenched on in a few years. Then I got a TJ Rubicon which I DD mostly to make sure it does not end up in the same situation. Between keeping my Jeep and some CJs that I wheel with on the trial I don’t really have the drive to finish up the Chevy. Plus it was getting close to the body work and paint part of the project which will be a lot of learning for me.

Really need to Redo all of the finishes in my current house and sell it so I can get out of the hood and maybe get a place with a shop.

Sell rotted TJ, buy/rebuild transmission for rubicon.

Just make progress on something, otherwise you're just hoarding.
Honestly I’m thinking about just unloading both (I know it’s a bit irrational). It doesn’t save me much on insurance ($30/month) it’s not a DD so fuel isn’t a concern.

One of them is going sooner rather than later.

Stop buying into more projects and force yourself to commit and finish the current projects. Start with finishing painting your fucking house. :laughing:
This.

Finish one thing at a time and you’ll feel better. I get tunnel vision on any project I’m working on. A bunch of half finished projects would make me insane.

I've got plenty of stalled projects, mostly because I rotate between hobbies as I burn out on them. Make lists, finish SOMETHING no matter how small and move on. Half hour to an hour a night, if you do it consistently will get things done faster than you think. I try to get out in the garage or do something around the house after dinner every day, even if it's only 20-30 minutes, progress is still progress.

Also helps to not acquire more projects when you aren't getting anywhere on the ones you already have, that took me a while to accept.

Plus it was getting close to the body work and paint part of the project which will be a lot of learning for me.

Yeah, I find if I'm not entirely confident in what I'm about to do, it's way easier to push it off. Let me just do a little more reading, watch another video, maybe find a new tool or something that should help.

I put off building the engine harness on my buggy for a very long time until one night staring at it, it suddenly clicked how I had to lay it all out, and what components I needed to do it. Two days of parts ordering and it was game on hardcore for that one, ended up working perfectly.

Yeah, I find if I'm not entirely confident in what I'm about to do, it's way easier to push it off. Let me just do a little more reading, watch another video, maybe find a new tool or something that should help.

I put off building the engine harness on my buggy for a very long time until one night staring at it, it suddenly clicked how I had to lay it all out, and what components I needed to do it. Two days of parts ordering and it was game on hardcore for that one, ended up working perfectly.
Vette you sound like my twin 😆

I have purchased a lot of tools this past year, glad I finally grabbed some thread chasers and I had to get some pullers and installers for the LS engine going in the Willy’s.

5 years ago, I resided, insulated, put in new windows on 2 sides of my 100 year old farmhouse. Thought I'd save up and do the other side the next year. The problem is I did the side you see when you drive up first. Better get the other sides done this year.

Doing much better on car projects, finally figured out its better to just order all the parts you need and pick away at it everyday, instead of budgeting out a little at a time. It's harder to tear a hole in your house, got to time it with weather and schedules of everyone else living here.

-Re silicone and paint door trim in kitchen
-Build shelf to kee shit from falling behind the stove
-Make a box to cover vent pipe going into ceiling
-Hang lights in garage, add JBoxs for the screw in ones I bought too
-Add additional outlet in garage so freezer isn’t on an extension cord
-Run wire and put outdoor 110/220 outlets in sideyard
-Get garage door fixed
-Clean garage(this will never be done)
-Finish digging and build retaining wall in sideyard
-Build new side gate and weld hinges to hang on post
-dig out weeds behind fence and fill with weed barrier and left over base rock.
-Spray weeds sticking through around driveway
-Put down more rock and drive on it to compact it
-Throw away all the shit in the other sideyard, weed whack, rake up and spray it
-Tons of weed whacking, mowing, raking, weed killer-ing going on
-Figure out where to put play structure and trampoline
-Clear off patio, throw shit away
-Need a shed for all the bikes and other yard tools
-a fuck ton more stuff but that’s just SOME of the house stuff

Don’t even get me started on the bronco list :lmao:

Hi, my name's Patrick, and I'm a procrastinating parts hoarder.

E07-Problem-Dog.mkv_001997164.jpg

Now, at 11:30pm, I need to go downstairs and un-install the brand new $600 hydronic heater I just finished putting in, so I can exchange it for one without shrieking bearings. After this Youtube video. Faaaak.

I was in this situation last year. I felt like I was drowning in things that had to be done and it was really stressing me out. I sold or traded in most of my vehicular projects and started hammering things off my to do list every Friday when I'm off work.

I am down to finishing the wiring on my 16' car hauler and replacing the tires, fixing a hydraulic leak on the skid steer so I can sell it, fix a hydraulic leak on the toolcat, put the rest of my shop lights up, put in an air header in the shop and finally to get the Chevelle drivable.

Once all that is done then I will allow myself to start on a new wheeler to replace the one I sold.

it's funny (not funny) when you look at it around that 2 year mark and think, man, I'm almost there, this'll be done by next season!
Seriously. I could dig up Internet posts where I signed up for wheeling events 6 years ago. LOL. But 2022 is THE year! :smokin:

I probably should not bring up the entry way tile job I started 20 years ago. One of these days I will seal the grout and replace the trim on the steps. :lmao:

Hire out the house projects and get rid of some projects or figure out the root cause of your lack of motivation .

Seriously. I could dig up Internet posts where I signed up for wheeling events 6 years ago. LOL. But 2022 is THE year! :smokin:

I think what happens is you instinctively want to get into that crunch mode, then you remember why the previous rig went to shit, and the new one starts coming together nicely, and it becomes rewarding to take time with the details on it. I know I reached a point where it became something more than just throwing a new truck together, it was actually applying everything I learned from nearly two decades of doing this.

Not saying I didn't slack on it at times, but I think the fact that I haven't changed a damn thing on mine since 2016 is pretty good proof of that process working out.

Story of my life. Try buying at least a 100 yo house to juggle into the mix.:laughing:

Spent more time and money on the house than it will ever be nearly worth. And it's always needing something done. Same for all my projects as well I guess.

Well. I slept for three or so hours… this will likely be an unproductive day now.

First order of business is “the list” after daycare drop off.

Top Back Refresh