What's new

Underdrive Power Steering Pulley

AN8 PS fitting has the bigger port.

The pump itself doesn't move enough fluid to warrant the bigger line but whatever. That's what you need.

The SBC engine with accessories has been built for awhile. It has been waiting a chassis with IFS and IRS. It originally had a stock SBC power steering pump and 130 amp alternator. Ifs rack needs changed that for a Howe TT power steering pump and now to a Radial Dynamics TT pump which can flow in excess of 35 gallons per minute, and consume 30hp at lock.. The intake is -16. The need for more cooling fans add the need for the 370 amp alternator (Why not?). Soon I found out about the HP used by these parts and the belts to drive them. I have always considered this engine as a design project. You can see the Rodec block, Chevy heads, and Weind intake all matched. Internals are similar. The pan is also fabricated, and will have to be done again to miss the IFS driveshaft. The plan is a passenger side kickout and sump. I wanted a fairly simple belt arrangement and didn't want the width of a accessory plate...plus nothing fit the pump. I was able to get a double 6 rib pulley from Jones. It was the same size that Eric Amato liked for the pump pulley. I made the Radial Designs SS hub to fit the Howe pulley. A fun little project. The headache was the crank to water pump belt. By elongating the holes on the water pump I could get about 1/4" of tension. It took about 15 belts before I found the perfect size in Russia. I bought five as they fit some cheap car with no AC. It was amazing the manufacturers printing different lengths for the same belt. Why I got five from the same MFG lot. Then it was making brackets, after weeks of thought, for all to line up. I didn't want any long belts as they are easier to throw. It takes a lot of thought to keep things short out there but worth it. I bet it was 6 months of off and on. My original vision was nothing like I ended up with. Gotta be flexible. I am just finishing the third FI as tech has got better on the throttle body and computer side...but is port injected. Also something that was not available on that intake style. So modified it on the mill. Being on the front edge of tech is tricky. Just like we all do...it seems. Others that get it figured out gives us encouragement that we can do similar. Just gotta put in the work.

Last edited:
I put a V6 80s early 90s camaro/. Firebird pulley on mine.

No one makes them so sourced one at a wrecking yard. It's the only one I could find that has the proper alignment offset for a P pump on a LM7.

I'm running the PSC P pump with ram assist.

Bumped the idle rpm on the tune up to 900 rpm which also helped.

When I put hydro boost brakes in last year I now get a bit of idle on speed groan now and it's been fucky when you hold the brakes and then go to take off on a turn, it sometimes feels like the steering wants to just stay straight then it'll kick in a couple seconds later.

PSC remote res with returns from both steer gear and hydro boost separate.

I think with the hydro boost my fluid is overheating. Just running that single pass 14" psc cooler.. Need to put a plate and fin in.

Top Back Refresh