What's new

Two post lift installation in shop

Old post, I know, but since this thread is back on the first page: Anyone know why the minimum floor requirements for an existing versus a new slab are so different?

New slab reqs from Bendpaks site:

1631902625633.png
I'm fairly certain that is if you are saw cutting your existing too thin floor and dropping in footers. That is why there are also length and width specs.

I'm fairly certain that is if you are saw cutting your existing too thin floor and dropping in footers. That is why there are also length and width specs.
I'm more curious why they recommend a 12" slab thickness when an 4" existing slab thickness will suffice.

I'm more curious why they recommend a 12" slab thickness when an 4" existing slab thickness will suffice.

Since this is for an addition to a underspec slab, this is probably close to the mass needed as stand alone since they can't guarantee or know the existing slab or tie-ins being used.

$2k shipped for 9000lb atlas from Greg smith equipment
I'm thinking about a lift and searched out this thread.

A years time and that lift has almost doubled in price :eek:

Damn it I guess I should have done this a couple years ago...:laughing:

Anyone else got a line on a good lift in the $2000 to $2500 range?

I'm thinking about a lift and searched out this thread.

A years time and that lift has almost doubled in price :eek:

Damn it I guess I should have done this a couple years ago...:laughing:

Anyone else got a line on a good lift in the $2000 to $2500 range?
no idea if it's worth a damn or not

Triumph NT-9 Baseplate 2 Post Auto Lift, 3-Stage Arms, 9000-Lb Capacity
$2,589.00 free shipping

Also bumping this, credit card in hand...

Recommendations on a clear floor 9-10k?

Shade tree shop, occasional crew cab long bed diesel truck

Also bumping this, credit card in hand...

Recommendations on a clear floor 9-10k?

Shade tree shop, occasional crew cab long bed diesel truck
12. My 10 was ok, but not super comfortable with the CCSB Diesel.

I had a Dannmar 10K lift and would regularly use it on my 06 3500 Ram mega cab that weighed in at 8800lbs and never felt uncomfortable with that on there. Also it was on an old slab that when I drilled though the anchors it measured at 4 1/2". I also installed a 12K atlas on the same slab and would lift van motorhomes that were 11K lbs and never was sketched out by that either.

I've got a 10k eagle and regularly put my 8.5k diesel on it without any concerns. I try to use support jacks most of the time, but I use them on everything so not really because of the weight.

If you're worried about the lift falling over forwards or backwards brace it.

You can always add more meat to the floor plate and chip out the concrete to make room if you're worried about the lift caving in.

There's so many "I wrench on cummins diesel trucks with my 8/910k lift on a 4" slab" stories out there that I wouldn't give it a second though.

Last edited:
I've got a 10k eagle and regularly put my 8.5k diesel on it without any concerns. I try to use support jacks most of the time, but I use them on everything so not really because of the weight.
How do you like the eagle? Build quality?

Anybody willing to give me the cliff notes on symmetric vs asymmetric?

Ill have a 20wide 32' deep bay, lift to the back, intent is to back a truck in and be able to use a forklift to move engines and axles, and have some room to work in front of the truck

I was in a safety class at work, the people that were in there were from the crane/lifting end of things

They told us that the stamped max weight on the hardware was like 4/5x what the actual failure point was

I told them that they should have never said that out loud in that room full of misfits , the look I got was :laughing:

How do you like the eagle? Build quality?

Came with the house so I didn't have much say :laughing:

From what I've read/heard, they're a budget brand. A little slow, a little loud, but they're cheap and considering I'd never had or used a lift until I bought this place, I'm overly thrilled with it. Can't compare it to a rotary or any other brand, but it suits me fine for normal homeowner use.

I've been keeping my eye out for a deal for another one for the other side of the shop where I could park more long-term projects. Seems like my wheeling rigs are always stuck on the lift waiting for parts or free time. I've had to do my last 3 oil changes on my dailies in the gravel because the lift was tied up! :laughing:

unless you're on bedrock I just can not see doing an aboveground hoist
the scissor ones are okay for what they are, but the post style ones just suck absolute ass compared to in-ground ones

you don't even gotta do too much concrete work to retrofit one, just cut out a 8x10' hole in your floor and dig 9-10' deep with a mini ex
backfill is pea gravel so the can is removable later where it wouldn't be with clay or sand

the scissor ones are okay for what they are, but the post style ones just suck absolute ass compared to in-ground ones

you don't even gotta do too much concrete work to retrofit one, just cut out a 8x10' hole in your floor and dig 9-10' deep with a mini ex
backfill is pea gravel so the can is removable later where it wouldn't be with clay or sand
I agree, but $$$$ is the limit here.

Every chicom factory is building a two post above ground lift. They are cheap. Single center piston in-ground lifts can be found used (rarely) but suck unless you are a brake/alignment shop. Nobody in their right mind would want one as their only lift. Two-post in-ground lifts are the shit but they are $$$.

I've been looking for a cheap in-ground lift (because looking for shit years in advance of when you'll need is how you get good deals, as you know) but nobody is selling used ones and I haven't found cheap new ones (yet).

I agree, but $$$$ is the limit here.

Every chicom factory is building a two post above ground lift. They are cheap. Single center piston in-ground lifts can be found used (rarely) but suck unless you are a brake/alignment shop. Nobody in their right mind would want one as their only lift. Two-post in-ground lifts are the shit but they are $$$.

I've been looking for a cheap in-ground lift (because looking for shit years in advance of when you'll need is how you get good deals, as you know) but nobody is selling used ones and I haven't found cheap new ones (yet).
come out and pick one up and you can have the most worn out one of my four

ETA: never mind, mine is mine
all four are the same model and everything, parts are good to have on hand

come out and pick one up and you can have the most worn out one of my four

ETA: never mind, mine is mine
all four are the same model and everything, parts are good to have on hand
If a random Aerostar shows up in your driveway it's there to buy shit not steal your cats. :flipoff2:

My buddy bought a 2 post inground lift out of a dealership. He buried it a extra 6” underground in his shop so he can put diamond plate over it. You don’t even know it’s there until he lifts it up. Super cool. He just loses 6” of height when lifted all the way up. He’s short anyways so it doesn’t matter lol.

My buddy bought a 2 post inground lift out of a dealership. He buried it a extra 6” underground in his shop so he can put diamond plate over it. You don’t even know it’s there until he lifts it up. Super cool. He just loses 6” of height when lifted all the way up. He’s short anyways so it doesn’t matter lol.
This is exactly what I am planning on doing IF I can find an in-ground at a reasonable price.

Glad to see I'm not the first person with the idea.

For future reference I have installed my own lift before . I did my homework . Spoke with the two biggest lift installers in my metro area . Both companies were very helpful . They recommended 6 inch floor on my 10k 2 post lift since I was pouring it fresh . But they do NOT want footers , they do NOT want anchors dropped in the floor prior to install . They were extremely adamant about both . They also do NOT want any extra rebar as all you’re doing is increasing the odds off hitting rebar when you drill for your anchors . The single most important thing both of them told me was to make sure and drill all the way through the slab and to clean/vacuum the holes out the best I could prior to install . They said they need to grab below the slab not inside the hole so footers would only hurt the ability of the anchor bolt . It’s pretty simple don’t over think it . Also when your floor has cracks where they want to set your post and they want to pour fresh pads they don’t pour some giant footers they just pour fresh concrete in your existing floor and tie it in well .

Last edited:
This is exactly what I am planning on doing IF I can find an in-ground at a reasonable price.

Glad to see I'm not the first person with the idea.
He got the lift for like $3-400 at a dealership auction. No one wanted to deal with the underground lift. He did splurge and buy a new power unit from rotary.

For future reference I have installed my own lift before . I did my homework . Spoke with the two biggest lift installers in my metro area . Both companies were very helpful . They recommended 6 inch floor on my 10k 2 post lift since I was pouring it fresh . But they do BOT want footers , they do NOT want anchors dropped in the floor prior to install . They were extremely adamant about both . They also do NOT want any extra rebar as all you’re doing is increasing the odds off hitting rebar when you drill for your anchors . The single most important thing both of them told me was to make sure and drill all the way through the slab and to clean/vacuum the holes out the best I could prior to install . They said they need to grab below the slab not inside the hole so footers would only hurt the ability of the anchor bolt . It’s pretty simple don’t over think it . Also when your floor has cracks where they want to set your post and they want to pour fresh pads they don’t pour some giant footers they just pour fresh concrete in your exciting floor and tie it in well .
Of course they don't want anchors. They'd rather drill holes than fuck around with a die grinder making slots when your anchors are 1/8" off.

Hitting rebar is a fact of life when drilling concrete. Rebar is soft and they make bits that can take it. The fact that they want less rebar because they'd rather not drill through it kinda raises red flags.

I would be very hesitant to take commercial installer's recommendations as anything other than the bare minimum.

Of course they don't want anchors. They'd rather drill holes than fuck around with a die grinder making slots when your anchors are 1/8" off.

Hitting rebar is a fact of life when drilling concrete. Rebar is soft and they make bits that can take it. The fact that they want less rebar because they'd rather not drill through it kinda raises red flags.

I would be very hesitant to take commercial installer's recommendations as anything other than the bare minimum.
They’re not asking for bare minimum . Still asking for standard rebar . I think you’re taking the recommendations the opposite of reality . These guys install 99 percent of the lifts in every shop and home in a two state area . If they screw up or have issues with a lift install, word spreads fast they can’t have failures either, it’s opening themselves up to a lawsuit.

be a cool idea with proper drainage applied
without good drainage the pit style hoists are often full of water and very rusty even when installed just flush with the floor surface

without good drainage the pit style hoists are often full of water and very rusty even when installed just flush with the floor surface
Makes me wish I had broken up the old slab before we put the shop in, its down about 2' below grade under about 1/2 the shop and based on what they had to go to get through for the one hole that interfered, the guy who put it in used half a scrap yard worth of assorted metal as reinforcing rods.

Aaron Z

I have a 20' long almost 4' wide pit in our shop and I really don't use it much. I've really been thinking about getting some 10' long hydraulic cylinders and making a heavy steel top for it. Make it so it can go down 6' into the ground, and 4' above as a pit, a mower/four wheeler lift, and a giant welding table all in one type of deal... Of course it's just a pipe dream, but maybe someday I won't have 1000 other more pressing projects and can think about sourcing some parts. :laughing:

Top Back Refresh