What's new

Turbo 5.0L 2000 Ranger

Sweet, had the same issue on my 36-1 VR setup and adding resistance to the VR+ side fixed mine. Glad you got it sorted

Journal bearing turbo i'm assuming? I've heard the same do/dont run a restrictor but a call to the mfg said no restrictor on a journal bearing turbo. If you get smoke your drain is not sufficient.

Yea journal bearing. It’s a turbonetics t72 knock off.

I drilled out the restrictor to 3/16” which was the ID of the fitting. Drove it around for a half hour last night and it seems to be doing well. I will have to put some more hours on it locally before I start driving to work with it.

I definitely do not need 3.73’s with this setup.

The biggest drawback to the microsquirt is having to have the laptop plugged in to log.

Its handy for sure, been using it cuz I'm too lazy get my factory tach going.
Looking at moving to this for one of my projects

945AACF0-2042-4EFD-B2EA-E563355037F0.jpeg

Oops. There was a nice brand new white Porsche convertible blocking the left lane. I saw an opening to fly in front of him.

I knew it was bad when the vibrations stopped at 115.

Shockingly I made it home another 10 miles. There’s a streak up the last two blocks to my house. No idea how it made it like that as far as I did.

Totally my fault for pushing it even though I knew it was not great.

Is your tranny mount solid steel? Or is there an insulator in there that I don't see?

Is your tranny mount solid steel? Or is there an insulator in there that I don't see?

No it’s not solid. My angles just suck and I didn’t notice until the end of the build. Just glossed over it. It’s fine until you’re 90mph+. I was planning on fixing this winter but maybe I’ll have to do it now.

C77C81B1-02F6-418C-9253-EE464F8E9E37.jpeg

The off-ramp still about a half mile from my house. Really don’t know how I made it home.

Put it back together today, as well as changed the oil and swapped in stage 8 locking header bolts.

Happy to say that nothing was destroyed! Well, it made it around my mile long test loop a couple times anyways.

I decided I’ll wait to fix the driveline angles until it’s parked for the winter. As long as I stay under a hundred there’s no vibration…. Kinda making it into a forced speed limiter for now. I tend to lack in the self control aspect.

That e85 made for some really fucked up oil. It was my startup oil, and I had quite a bit of time of forcing it to run at well better than 10:1 (gas scale). I’m sure there was a ton of raw fuel in it.

I ended buying my daughter's old tablet (s6 lite) and bought that app. Seems pretty slick! On the f250 with the ms3 it hooked right up but it didn't like the micro with the serial to USB adapter.

I hope to be able to log with this next time I have the camper hooked to the 250 so I don't have to run the laptop precariously on the trans hump.

Just put the ranger away for the winter.

I put probably 500 miles on it after replacing the extension housing. Just had to keep it under 90 or so.

I've been doing stoplight burnouts all over town and it's a fucking riot. Still maxing out on spring at 6 psi. I haven't had the desire to turn it up even though I have a boost controller. With these little shitty tires it'll completely roast them out through most of 3rd gear and by then I'm out of mph with the angle issue.

Passenger side header gasket is basically completely blown out.

I got right at 10mpg on E with beating the fuck out of it.

This winter I need to:

Reposition engine/trans
Redo axle pads and clock properly which will also probably mean redoing shock mounts
Maybe regear the 8.8. I need to lower driveshaft speed.
Do a real exhaust, this one is way too rigid.
Find my Exxon-valdeez size oil leaks
C-notch the rear frame. I've bottomed it out HARD a few times.
Real wheels and tires.
Hope I don't have to buy another damn driveshaft afterwards.
De-wire all the unused circuits.
Maybe a floor mounted shifter.
In which case, manual trans column swap
New steering wheel

Long term I'll probably link the rear, tub the bed a little, have to go to a fuel cell, upgrade the pump, injectors as I'm a bit undersized. Maybe upgrade the micro to a ms3x or a pro? I'm pretty happy with how it's configured now but I'd like more I/o.

I'm still fine tuning the map but I'm seeing duty cycles in the high 80's already, although that's with real vs commanded afr being 10% high.. but it's also calculating peak flow of like 290lph, and I only have a 340. I'm turning this 200k mile engine to 6300 rpm!

Got a few pics that show a couple things better..

I didn't even realize the angles were this bad, lol.

Attachments

• PXL_20221030_204229639.jpg
    PXL_20221030_204229639.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 39
  • PXL_20221030_220748368.jpg
    PXL_20221030_220748368.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 39
  • PXL_20221030_220644982.jpg
    PXL_20221030_220644982.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Do extended length leaf spring perches actually help axle wrap at all?

I have to cut mine off and reweld for drive line angles, if they help this is the time to do it.

I can't see them having any real effect.

I don't have bad wrap now , but with only 205s there's not enough traction to cause it I don't think.

Attachments

• PXL_20221111_235624284.jpg
    PXL_20221111_235624284.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 13
Do extended length leaf spring perches actually help axle wrap at all?

Only so much as reducing the length of the spring by the same amount would (all else being equal).

There's better ways to skin that cat.

Last edited:
Drove my friends 302 ranger last week.

Would yours even be drivable lol? His ranger would spin out if you looked at the gas pedal

Not driveable in the rain. And gotta be real careful in turns... But I have absolute crap tires ATM, they're just garbage tires I bought to figure out what I need to actually get. I wasn't sure where it was going to end up.

I'm going to lift the front an inch and drop the rear a half inch to an inch.

Last edited:
OP cool build! I'm in.

Why no WC T5?

I didn't think any t5 had any chance of survival, and I can't currently afford a trans that would... 4r70s are 2-300 bucks in the scrap yard all day long. I didn't even drop the pan on this one. Out of a 2000 or 2001 v6 mustang.

I'd absolutely love to put a manual in this but there really aren't any budget friendly options here.

I didn't think any t5 had any chance of survival, and I can't currently afford a trans that would... 4r70s are 2-300 bucks in the scrap yard all day long. I didn't even drop the pan on this one. Out of a 2000 or 2001 v6 mustang.

I'd absolutely love to put a manual in this but there really aren't any budget friendly options here.

His has a t5 but his is a mild build

You have under 4000lb of traction to break shit with. M5OD should be fine.

ZF would work too but they're more mnoey and combine the worst attributes of ze germans with the worst attributes of a truck 4spd and all you get out of it an an OD gear.

You have under 4000lb of traction to break shit with. M5OD should be fine.

ZF would work too but they're more mnoey and combine the worst attributes of ze germans with the worst attributes of a truck 4spd and all you get out of it an an OD gear.

Yea I've had a few m5s... I wasn't putting one of those in. The only real Ford option is the t5.

My personal goals are really low 10s. I don't think a t5 was going to like that.

At the end of the day this 4r isn't horrible. I need a good shifter or I need to hookup paddle shifters to make it more fun. (Microsquirt controller)

Why? I love them.

4R100 is a good choice too.
Eh? I always thought they were slow and clunky. Hard to shift at high(er) rpm.

From my understanding the 4r in the 2000-2004 range are pretty stout. All the j-mod stuff is already baked in, it's got the best the factory has to offer in hard parts. And they're cheap!
Ive got full control over the entire transmixer. I'm shifting at 6200 currently. Try to get a m5od to do that lol

Funny. Coming from truck 4spd transmissions I always thought the M5OD shifted like a sports car. :laughing:

I see nothing wrong with the 4R100

Funny. Coming from truck 4spd transmissions I always thought the M5OD shifted like a sports car. :laughing:

I see nothing wrong with the 4R100

No it's a good transmission. I've got a e4od in the f250 that's been mostly 4r'd. They're not cheap though! And probably more than needed for this build.

I was not expecting the amount of money it took to get this on the road. Had to make sacrifices!

Started with a $600 ranger and a $600 explorer. I'm not going to add it up but I'm pretty sure I'm north of $5k to get it on the road. I don't even know where the fuck it all went but it went fast. I probably have $500 in fucking an fittings.

I started with "yea, I bet I could get this on the road for under $2500 total".... Uh, nope.

I still have the explorer trans sitting around for a spare too. Would just have to swap output shafts and housings.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh