What's new

Trailer Tips, Tricks and things you would change.

Dan_Goodwin

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Birmingham, AL
There was a thread on the old site about this and since I didn't see one here I figured one was necessary.

What are the mods you've done on your utility/ car hauler trailers that make your life better? Also, for those that have built their own trailers, what are aspects of your build that worked well and things that didn't?

Good SOLID 8 point tiedowns.
Easy ramp storage that have access when parked in between 2 other towpigs.
Rear landing legs.
Ditch side o.v.m. Box
Tie downs for each rig.
Nuthin sticking out\down to get hung up on.
Thru the deck storage box ,to hide the goods...
On deck lighting.

brb

Last edited:
Love rub rails with stake pockets. Tie-down points everywhere.

Chain/binder storage on trailer as a backup in case you have issues with your straps.

Stake-pocket d-ring adapters. Makes it really handy to strap/chain something in the same exact spot every time.

Ramp thing to make changing tires easier:
https://www.etrailer.com/Wheel-Chocks/Andersen/AM3604.html

Having a receiver mount at the front of the trailer is really nice, gives you the ability to put a winch on to winch up dead trucks.

One thing I don't understand is people not having decent straps. Once I finally bought my own trailer (which isn't that nice/fancy), that was the first thing I bought. Had to use some shitty straps again this weekend and it reminded me how nice good straps are.

One thing I don't understand is people not having decent straps. Once I finally bought my own trailer (which isn't that nice/fancy), that was the first thing I bought. Had to use some shitty straps again this weekend and it reminded me how nice good straps are.

seriously....The have at least $2500+ in a towrig, trailer, and buggy(bare minimum)....but cant spend $150 on straps..... Let alone the people with a $50k towrig, new trailer and nice jeep

-Trailer and equipment maintenance maintenance maintenance x100 or your own laziness will bite you in the ass.
-Check suspension hardware, lug nuts and tire pressure periodically.
-Store the 7 way plug face down to hopefully deter moisture from corroding the terminsals.
-Inspect and clean 7 way j-box internals peridocally. Clean and install diaelectrc grease.
-Volt gauge on the trailer battery is nice.
-I installed a manual circuit breaker between the battery and inverter on my camper to lessen potential for a slow drain.
-Carry atleast one spare hub and brake assembly along with lug nuts.
-Provision to carry more than one spare tire. Having one spare is good but if you run over some gnary shit or if one blow out causes another, you're fooked with just one spare.
-Have dedicated "trailer/camper" tool bag / kit.

-Take the time to initially wire the trailer right and/or make wiring repairs correcrly. Don't hack it, let the wiring rot, or your own laziness will bite you in the ass.
-No sharp-pointy corners-edges under side of trailer. Your head will find them when you're under the trailer in the dark. Even more fun when it's cold.
-Inconspicous locaions where you can grind paint off/repaint easily for welding ground points.
-8 beefy tie down points / tabs per vehicle & locate tabs so they don't cause hooks to bind on the ratchet strap webbing when tight.
-Solid tounge jack. You're going to rely on it often so don't chince out. Carry wheel chocks too.
-Dedicated floor jack lift points
-Provision for vice

Check out my recent trailer rebuild thread. You might get some ideas from it or find some things that do and don't work for you.
https://irate4x4.com/tow-rigs-and-trailers/132770-death-metal-trailer-beater-18-trailer-refresh

-Andy

Last edited:
Buy plenty of trailer to start with. Length/width/GVW then buy the correct hitch components to run the trailer level while you are loaded. Almost everyone around here runs overloaded with the tongue up high on a bro-dozer and as a result has bent rear axles. I always weld on plenty of "D" rings so I don't pull the stake pockets off.

I bought a 7k 20ft, I wish I would have got the 10k to begin with. But for upgrades, 4 Drings front and rear. Rear stabilizer legs, toolbox with winch mounted inside of it. Battery mounted under box. 2 Hid lights, 2 spare tires. Plus tools and straps.
Click image for larger version Name:	KIMG3281.JPG Views:	0 Size:	531.3 KB ID:	267108

Last edited:
Where can I get that setup for that price??:lmao:

just saying those numbers as like a bare minimum i could imagine one spending, and those people are still too cheap....maybe that wasnt the best analogy.

Got exactly what I wanted when I had mine built.... in hindsight, I have learned I want more...

instead of 18’, I’d have done 22x’.
instead of 10k, I’d have done 14k

Still love the trailer....

Last edited:
Got exactly what I wanted when I had mine built.... in hindsight, I have learned I want more...

instead of 18’, I’d have done 22x’.
instead of 10,2k, I’d have done 14k

Still love the trailer....

Yep, been there, done that. I tried to run 18' car haulers, 7k GVW maybe? They hauled the racaecars just fine but not much else. Along the way I started paying attention to GVW, tire ratings ect. then started weighing trailers and loads. :eek:

I run 14k/22''s with 14 ply tires now with almost no issues. Pricey though. The last GN,14k/22' Lamar was $5700 about 1 year a go.

Of course now I'm converting a single axle boat trailer to haul my RZR so I don't have to haul those heavy trailers around just for the RZR.

I'm likely building a 10k 20' trailer this fall and am seriously considering building it 102" wide. Has anyone regretted going (or not going) full width on a trailer?

First carhauler I had was an 82 or 83" wide deck. Definitely wish i had gone with a 102" wide buggy hauler, but eventually bought a 102" wide deckover.

Grommet mounted LED lights

Dedicated ground wires for ALL lights. (not individual wires but no frame grounding)

I'm likely building a 10k 20' trailer this fall and am seriously considering building it 102" wide. Has anyone regretted going (or not going) full width on a trailer?

I wouldn't say I regret not doing it, because I'm not sure the extra cost was worth it at the time, but I have definitely wished my trailer was 102" wide with drive over fenders more times than I can count. It hasn't ever been a critical need, but would have made the haul easier.

Duane

Load Range E light truck tires (Speed rated and WAY better than trailer tires)
Balance the wheels / tires
Mount spare tire on a spare hub with actual lug nuts

I bought a 7k 20ft, I wish I would have got the 10k to begin with. But for upgrades, 4 Drings front and rear. Rear stabilizer legs, toolbox with winch mounted inside of it. Battery mounted under box. 2 Hid lights, 2 spare tires. Plus tools and straps.
filedata/fetch?id=267108&d=1610392547

is it just me or are the axles in a weird spot on this trailer? they look too forward

Last edited:
Overloading a small trailer a few times a year is less of a pain in the ass than dealing with a bigger trailer the rest of the year, especially if you can go from double axle down to single.

or just do what i do and get two trailers so you dont bend your axle and start wearing out tires overloading it like a :homer:

is it just me or are the axles in a weird spot on this trailer? they look too forward

Not really. Not having a dove makes its look weird
KIMG4612.JPG

I want to buy a complete spare axle assembly and bolt it under the front of the trailer like I've seen in Baja.

Load Range E light truck tires (Speed rated and WAY better than trailer tires)
Balance the wheels / tires
Mount spare tire on a spare hub with actual lug nuts

At the advice of several other members I put LR E truck tires on my trailer and it runs so much smoother. They weren't much more than china bomb trailer tires either.

Drive over fenders. Flush mounted rear lights. Storage for straps. I prefer 8 lug even if the load doesn’t require it. That way I have two spares between truck and trailer. And fuck trailer tires truck tire take offs ftw.

my next upgrade Jack strong enough to leave load on the trailer.

Top Back Refresh