What's new

"Tiny" - A Semi Project

Wouldn't it be the crossmember that was welded to not the frame? Or do they consider the frame rails and crossmembers to be the "frame"? To me the crossmember is riveted to frame and he welded to it so might be in the clear?

Wouldn't it be the crossmember that was welded to not the frame? Or do they consider the frame rails and crossmembers to be the "frame"? To me the crossmember is riveted to frame and he welded to it so might be in the clear?
It's welded straight to the top of the frame, not the cross member.

Tiny is getting loaded to the brim, leave tomorrow early to go racing! This will be an awesome trip, going to sleep in it for the first time, bought a projector to setup a movie on the back of the cab, and throwing some other cool toys on it to play with. Short trip but will be packed with fun!

PXL_20240425_214404704.jpg

This will be an awesome trip, going to sleep in it for the first time, bought a projector to setup a movie on the back of the cab, and throwing some other cool toys on it to play with. Short trip but will be packed with fun!
I love traveling in mine. Even enjoy camping out of it. Maybe not as comfortable as the toy hauler, but having the bunk, fridge, tv, etc in the cab with you, plus being able pull over anywhere to crash for the night along the way...
We used to take a projector with us and play wheeling video's on the side of the trailer. Was always a hit at camp.
Have a good trip.

The shop I work at does truck/trailer repairs and State/Federal inspections.

Some states are worse than others with those regs.

And just like states with "regular" vehicle inspections, you can find a range of "scrutiny" for inspection stations. It probably is a little less variation from station to station just because a 4000# car crashing into things typically warrants less investigative attention to who inspected it last than an 80,000# tractor trailer crashing into things...

Or do they consider the frame rails and crossmembers to be the "frame"?

If you read the text, they tend to use "frame" and "chassis" interchangeably - using one then both then the other. The frame rails themselves are the most significant part, though. Worst case for a crossmember is you have to drill the rivets out and replace it if you fawk it up too terribly. Replacing a frame rail is a bit more involved, but it is certainly possible to repair or replace. I've seen inspections failed for things welded to a chassis without the proper documentation.

It's welded straight to the top of the frame, not the cross member.

Tiny is getting loaded to the brim, leave tomorrow early to go racing! This will be an awesome trip, going to sleep in it for the first time, bought a projector to setup a movie on the back of the cab, and throwing some other cool toys on it to play with. Short trip but will be packed with fun!

PXL_20240425_214404704.jpg
Looking good and have fun!

Ah ok sorry my dumbass thought all the frame welding talk was about the hitch not the winch. I was thinking how did you weld the hitch to the top of the frame so I re-read the previous comments.
On the shift pattern thing the most confusing one for me was I had two squarebodies at one time before and while one had the normal SM465\205 combo in it the other had a swapped in SM420\221 setup and I constantly went for reverse in the 465 pattern. I also DD'd a subaru loyale at the time so three different patterns but the trucks were only ones I ever mixed up really.

Ah ok sorry my dumbass thought all the frame welding talk was about the hitch not the winch. I was thinking how did you weld the hitch to the top of the frame so I re-read the previous comments.
On the shift pattern thing the most confusing one for me was I had two squarebodies at one time before and while one had the normal SM465\205 combo in it the other had a swapped in SM420\221 setup and I constantly went for reverse in the 465 pattern. I also DD'd a subaru loyale at the time so three different patterns but the trucks were only ones I ever mixed up really.
Well you're on the money too, the winch plate isn't the first thing to get welded either. I already welded angle iron all along the rear frame section so the flat bed could bolt down, and I hadn't even thought of the hitch (though is on a cross member as you said).

I'm just ignoring all the welding talk (reading but have nothing of value to add), if I fucked up some rule then it is what it is and I have a year to use the semi. I doubt it will be an issue, but that's spoken from a position of ignorance for trucks too.

It's funny you mention shift pattern, for the most part I've remembered it well but the other day I got all sorts of fucked up forgetting where 3rd was (what I start in) and then forgetting which direction 5th was. I don't even know what gear I ended up in after I got into neutral but I kept it moving!

Well you're on the money too, the winch plate isn't the first thing to get welded either. I already welded angle iron all along the rear frame section so the flat bed could bolt down, and I hadn't even thought of the hitch (though is on a cross member as you said).

I'm just ignoring all the welding talk (reading but have nothing of value to add), if I fucked up some rule then it is what it is and I have a year to use the semi. I doubt it will be an issue, but that's spoken from a position of ignorance for trucks too.

It's funny you mention shift pattern, for the most part I've remembered it well but the other day I got all sorts of fucked up forgetting where 3rd was (what I start in) and then forgetting which direction 5th was. I don't even know what gear I ended up in after I got into neutral but I kept it moving!

You won't have any issues with inspection.

Grind it till you find it :flipoff2:

I'm pretty good at going braindead in Chicago from time to time and find high range (9th/10th) instead of low (4th/5th) after flipping back and forth for an hour in 5-10mph rush hour traffic.

You won't have any issues with inspection.

Grind it till you find it :flipoff2:

I'm pretty good at going braindead in Chicago from time to time and find high range (9th/10th) instead of low (4th/5th) after flipping back and forth for an hour in 5-10mph rush hour traffic.
Ain't that the truth. Yesterday driving through Vernal and the wife is like you've gotten really good at shifting, no issues today! And that totally threw me for a loop and the next stop light I tried every fucking gear before realizing I was in high range :grinpimp:

Made it to the race course, had probably 3 hours of rain we drove through including some snow at a pass we crossed. Last time I checked we were at 9.2mpg with cruise set at 75 until we got off the interstate.

PXL_20240426_171855400.jpg

PXL_20240426_220215790.jpg

No pictures, but got home, bit of rain on the way back but nothing crazy. I got exactly 10.0mpg round trip, which absolutely blows my mind. And right now diesel here is $3.46/gal, 20c cheaper than 85 octane and 60c cheaper than 91 octane. I was telling someone I didn't need the semi to get good gas mileage, just be in the ball park of what my Tundra got so at least it was the same price to drive (excluding maintenance), but if you equivalate the price of diesel to premium right now the semi is closer to like 12mpg for the Tundra which it's lucky to get unloaded.

As stated before, time will tell how it plays out, but I honestly couldn't be happier with it. It's actually really comfortable and easy to drive (excluding the learning curve of shifting). The biggest thing I would want to change is a quieter interior since at interstate speeds its decently loud, though still quieter than probably half my vehicles. This road trip was a ton of fun, and had a lot of challenges thrown in between the weather, going over the first mountain passes where I actually had to downshift out of 10th, and the most traffic lights and start stops I've done yet going through towns. On the drive home I didn't have any hiccups with shifting, and the thing runs and drives like an absolute champ. It really feels like a big toy that I look forward to driving and modifying and playing with, which really changes the dynamic compared to the Tundra which was always a question of optimizing weight and what should be brought and planning gas stops. Hell I used maybe a 1/4 tank this whole trip driving across the state and back!

It's also cool learning new things. I always gave semis a lot of room and passed them quickly and would flash lights for them to merge and stuff, but it's cool to learn the nuances from now driving one. It's also funny since I look at other trucks and see how they're configured with the cabs and stuff, which before I didn't think about more than if I saw a particularly huge sleeper or cool trailer.

Anyway, I had to make a post since the fuel mileage while hauling a buggy and all the gear on the back is just wild. I thought getting 9mpg was maybe a fluke, and the fact it can get quite a bit better without doing anything special is just icing on the cake!

Next big trip is in a couple weeks going down to our relatives in Arizona we visited on the first trip. Not sure yet what configuration we'll do for Tiny, maybe put the camper on the bed again and then tow either the buggy or can-am. I think I'll replace the shocks, fix some leaky air lines, and probably need to figure out some trailer plug setup.

I was telling someone I didn't need the semi to get good gas mileage, just be in the ball park of what my Tundra got so at least it was the same price to drive (excluding maintenance), but if you equivalate the price of diesel to premium right now the semi is closer to like 12mpg for the Tundra which it's lucky to get unloaded.
I was the same way with my Dodge. I was getting around 7-8 with the Cummins and 2 rigs on my gooseneck. Once I moved to the big truck, my mileage stayed the same, but now the truck doesn't even know the trailer is there, and I take my hotel with me.

As stated before, time will tell how it plays out, but I honestly couldn't be happier with it. It's actually really comfortable and easy to drive (excluding the learning curve of shifting). The biggest thing I would want to change is a quieter interior since at interstate speeds its decently loud, though still quieter than probably half my vehicles.
If I can somehow justify it in my head, I would rather take the semi on a road trip than my pick-up. But the newer ones are definately quieter. I can't really bitch too much about how loud it is, if my pick-up had 1.1 mil miles on it, it would probably rattle and squeek too. I have considered pulling the interior and adding some sound deadening to it, especially under the dash. When that Detroit is working, you can't hardly hear yourself think.
planning gas stops. Hell I used maybe a 1/4 tank this whole trip driving across the state and back!
Used to plan bathroom breaks around fuel stops. Now we have to plan rest stops just to get out and walk around. I do like being able to drive the entire trip on a single (maybe 2) fill ups, but I hate having to re-finance the house to afford to fill it back up.

Non roller version

1714595482345.png

Non roller version

Also called a "level wind" or "level winder" for anyone who cares. I wish someone made double cut screw ones like you see on big marine shit in automotive sizes. For the dumb side pulls people who are winching recreationally tend to need to do they'd be tits.

Top Back Refresh