What's new

Dont Ever Buy A Dodge - 93 D250 12valve

Pic I dug up from a while back... where I tried out this loose 60 housing while doing a suspension switch-out. Its a 99-04SD style, but coils are in their buckets. :grinpimp:

d60_99-04SD.jpg

EDIT: ya its the same 2wd D150/250 2wd suspension as OP. :homer:

my 90 cummins has 99-05 f450/550 leafs up front with a chevy d60 under it, cross over steering and a track bar. rear has 63" chevy leafs and a 14b out back, bilstein shocks all around and it rides great down rough dirt roads, the nv4500 sucks towing heavy loads in the mountains. i have a nv5600 laying around i need to swap in some day. if i was doing it over building in stages like i did only thing i would change is switch the chevy 63" leafs for some newer ford 08+ 66" leafs. if i was starting from scratch and purchasing it at once i would go with 05+ ford axles and the suspension with a nv5600/g56 and 271 driver drop t-case.

Pic I dug up from a while back... where I tried out this loose 60 housing while doing a suspension switch-out. Its a 99-04SD style, but coils are in their buckets. :grinpimp:

d60_99-04SD.jpg

EDIT: ya its the same 2wd D150/250 2wd suspension as OP. :homer:

my 90 cummins has 99-05 f450/550 leafs up front with a chevy d60 under it, cross over steering and a track bar. rear has 63" chevy leafs and a 14b out back, bilstein shocks all around and it rides great down rough dirt roads, the nv4500 sucks towing heavy loads in the mountains. i have a nv5600 laying around i need to swap in some day. if i was doing it over building in stages like i did only thing i would change is switch the chevy 63" leafs for some newer ford 08+ 66" leafs. if i was starting from scratch and purchasing it at once i would go with 05+ ford axles and the suspension with a nv5600/g56 and 271 driver drop t-case.
Maybe I should look into SD axles. I know they used to be cheap. Probably not anymore but I will look into them. What year did they stop having freespin hubs. I hate how the new trucks are always locked in.

Maybe I should look into SD axles. I know they used to be cheap. Probably not anymore but I will look into them. What year did they stop having freespin hubs. I hate how the new trucks are always locked in.
car-part.com showed a SD front 60 near me recently for $500 at a salvage yard.

We had a 18 model F250 shop truck in Alaska that had free spin hubs.

i have a 1990 cummins, i can confirm everything besides the engine and frame(frame isnt as good as some people make it out to be, its not 8" the whole length) is junk :laughing:

you couldnt ask for a more reliable engine(in a LDT) that makes 400ft-lbs of torque from the factory and gets awesome mpg
I thought it was the later 1st gens, 91.5 - 93 that got the beefier frames and not the earlier models?

I think the 93 and 98 both have d70s. I plan on using airbags in the front. I have a bunch of big ones but I need to find a smaller diameter airbag for the front. Maybe I should use the kp60 now and if I dont find another I will pull it and put the cad60 in before I sell it.
One thing to watch for on the 93 250's is that the D70 is actually a Dana 70U, 32 spline 1.41" shafts and not the 1.5" 35 spline shafts of most D70's.

I thought it was the later 1st gens, 91.5 - 93 that got the beefier frames and not the earlier models?

One thing to watch for on the 93 250's is that the D70 is actually a Dana 70U, 32 spline 1.41" shafts and not the 1.5" 35 spline shafts of most D70's.
The late diesel ones you mention have the biggest frames (8"). Maybe some wiggle room on the year.

Most D70's from 91+ are 32-spline, even dually. I've got a few.

Most D70's from 91+ are 32-spline, even dually. I've got a few.
I'd always heard the 350's were all 35 spline, I've Neve had one so could never verify. I did verify on my 250 though. That style 70 is one of the dumbest designs IMO. For the unique 32 spline axles and for having to pull the axles to do the brakes, instead of just pulling the drum and making it easy.

I've been thinking of putting a locker in it and the 35 spline Detroits are cheaper. Figured I'd just put 35 spline Yukons in and locker at the same time...

you are correct, i was not aware, my frame is indeed the weaker one which makes sense that ive had to repair/reinforce/bootyfab it in a couple(steering box and engine cross member/track bar) spots :laughing:

Here's my backyard mockup pics of an '07 SD axle under a W-series dodge. Radius arms line up nice with the frame rails. Coils need to come inboard, our build the coil-buckets outboard. It has hub locks; I believe they work on vacuum too.

Attachments

• IMG_20171116_141208.jpg
    IMG_20171116_141208.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20171116_141321.jpg
    IMG_20171116_141321.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20171116_141253.jpg
    IMG_20171116_141253.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 53
Here's my backyard mockup pics of an '07 SD axle under a W-series dodge. Radius arms line up nice with the frame rails. Coils need to come inboard, our build the coil-buckets outboard. It has hub locks; I believe they work on vacuum too.
That does not look like it would be hard to put those in. The coil buckets on my 2wd look like they almost line up with that.

That does not look like it would be hard to put those in. The coil buckets on my 2wd look like they almost line up with that.

When you move the coil off the inner C (stock) and onto the bumpstop pad, you'd be better lined up for the dodge 2wd coil bucket.

Pair of axles with wheels.... or better yet, get the whole rolling chassis as mentioned before.

At some point you're no longer modding a Dodge with shit you already have... :stirthepot:

Some pics of the Dodge frame. I guess its not as rusted as I thought. The one rust hole was originally a hole looking at the other side it just rusted out more. The Dodge frame is 8” I measured the winch truck frame it is 8” too.

Dodge with rust hole on driver side.
A339606C-2A4D-4C13-BE90-805BAC3A1804.jpeg

The same spot on the pass side
45DB55D9-0D0E-4875-AE4E-C76D1859A3B6.jpeg

Rust on shackles. Cracked weld holding the bed on. I dont know why they welded it on. Its bolted in the front.
CD2DBDE6-C5D4-4FF4-AB57-D49DD7463C1E.jpeg

C5817A59-50A9-4251-8A64-83BCDA418AD1.jpeg

I pulled the bruce jenner out of the 98 today. I just pulled it over on its side to make it easier. Tomorrow I will cut the axles and such out of it and scrap the rest. What a jewel. I wish this 98 wouldn’t have had so much rust I would have just found a new engine for it. It was all there and it was straight when I got it and had a clean interior too.

3E28DC06-4BCB-4BFF-95FE-5126A7D92F4C.jpeg

The easy way to pull bruce jenners and axles.
8EFC60E7-50D0-43D4-A182-F643291462B8.jpeg

I think this might be a Dana 80 I know it does not have the same cover as my 60s or 70s I already have.
D711B791-EB87-47DE-B752-1D17DCCE5362.jpeg

Here is where the rod made like a tree and leaved. On its way out it said a big fuck you to the starter too.
F8412B81-6E55-417D-BCF8-1A2EA2110C5C.jpeg

This is the most I have ever lifted with the winch truck. Not sure how much it is but it handled it.
8D3A8A44-F2FF-43C8-B177-DF0CF438112B.jpeg

Definitely a Dana 80, gonna be 35 spline and around 70" or so wms. It would match up real well with a 05+ Dana 60, just need to redrill the 60 unit bearings to 8x6.5. And pick up an axle, you could probably trade one of the front axles you already have.

10-4 I think If I can find an 05 plus SD axle for cheap that is what I will use up front.

I think this 80 has some kind of locker in it. Trying to roll it around trying to turn it you had to hold one tire and rock the other and I could feel it unlock and roll free then it would lock up again. Maybe just a good lsd or someone put a detroit in it?

Too bad you got one of the worst 12v's there is. Theres hardly anything good with that drivetrain.

Too bad you got one of the worst 12v's there is. Theres hardly anything good with that drivetrain.
Fuck if I care. Quit dimming my shine. I would rather have the worst 12valve than the best 6.0 or 6.4 Powerstroke. You are not picking up what Im putting down. Im not building for power and speed I am building for reliability. Ive been pulling with an 03 Denali XL with 4l65e and a 6.0 vortec so it might not have as much power as that but should be more stable. Before that I pulled with my RV that had a 145hp 3.9 Isuzu Turbo Diesel so I know all about pulling slow. I dont see how this could be slower than that.

Every time I see pictures of trucks that rusty I’m sure glad I don‘t live in the rust belt.:eek:

That blue truck is way too clean for a rustbelt truck, it still has most of the rocker panels.

Last edited:

No worst 12v's.... They start at 'really good' and go up from there.

The 2ndgen body/chassis deteriorate horribly. Most are rustier than 1stgens now.

Good thing you posted that up, I'm sure everyone could learn a lot from your vast knowledge bank:flipoff2:

No worst 12v's.... They start at 'really good' and go up from there.

The 2ndgen body/chassis deteriorate horribly. Most are rustier than 1stgens now.
x2

love my VE pump 1st gen 12v(fires up after half a crank of the starter:grinpimp:), turn the fuel screw up put a manual tranny behind it and have enough truck to do what ever you need. i dont need to do 60mph up the grades towing 10k pounds

such a simple and basic drive train you can literally drive it without a working alternator or battery :laughing:

Good thing you posted that up, I'm sure everyone could learn a lot from your vast knowledge bank:flipoff2:

Based on the title, i refrained from beating the guy up too much. Bar none, first gen 12v's are the worst of the lot, but im sure you already knew that.

Well hell, why dont I just stop wasting everyone’s time and take the 93 to the scrap yard and go to the bank and get a loan for something new. Since my 93 is the worst thing ever made already and the engine is junk. This thing isnt even a shipping crate, its just a flaming bag of dogshit on my front porch.

Off to ask my dad what kind of truck he wants to see me in. :flipoff2:

I'll buy it for scrap prices if that what's your offering:flipoff2:.

Engine, 205 X case, King pin 60 front are desirable pieces IMO. Dana 70U could be to a person that wants a replacement or if they need to replace a hub that is FUBAR....ask me how I know about the last bit:homer:

Top Back Refresh