What's new

Thoughts on high mileage 2019 Duramax?

I just have a hard time being ragged on by an idiot. If he had a valid point I'd be okay with it.
:confused:Wow you are a ****. I didn't drag you into this, you dragged yourself into it trying to compare a 1990 chevy with a 6.2 and 2wd to an l5p truck. Then you tried to compare it with your fucking vw bug with a tdi. You're an idiot and can't see that, but it's OK, everyone knows you're an old **** anyway...

How is my point not valid? Beside you, who else is claiming my mpg numbers are off? Not one person here is arguing that my numbers are off, you know why, because I'm right. I drive my truck every day, i put the fuel in it every time it needs it, and i can, wait for it, calculate the numbers in my head. Let me help you with that. Let's just say that you went 400 miles, and you put 20 gallons of fuel in, you would've made 20 mpg over the life of that 20 gallons of fuel. It's not that difficult you smug bitch.

I repeat, anyone and i mean ANYONE who claims they are averaging 24 mpg with an L5P truck is lying. The 2wd versions may be getting close to that, but not the 4wd. Anyone, and i mean ANYONE who claims they are averaging over 12mpg while towing with an L5P truck over 10k lbs is also lying. So if those are your claims, let's see the proof. Prove me wrong please.

Btw Fuck You SanDiegoCJ:flipoff2:Whiney fucking bitch

Reactions: DMG
:confused:Wow you are a ****. I didn't drag you into this, you dragged yourself into it trying to compare a 1990 chevy with a 6.2 and 2wd to an l5p truck. Then you tried to compare it with your fucking vw bug with a tdi. You're an idiot and can't see that, but it's OK, everyone knows you're an old **** anyway...

How is my point not valid? Beside you, who else is claiming my mpg numbers are off? Not one person here is arguing that my numbers are off, you know why, because I'm right. I drive my truck every day, i put the fuel in it every time it needs it, and i can, wait for it, calculate the numbers in my head. Let me help you with that. Let's just say that you went 400 miles, and you put 20 gallons of fuel in, you would've made 20 mpg over the life of that 20 gallons of fuel. It's not that difficult you smug bitch.

I repeat, anyone and i mean ANYONE who claims they are averaging 24 mpg with an L5P truck is lying. The 2wd versions may be getting close to that, but not the 4wd. Anyone, and i mean ANYONE who claims they are averaging over 12mpg while towing with an L5P truck over 10k lbs is also lying. So if those are your claims, let's see the proof. Prove me wrong please.

FB_IMG_1609613922426.jpg

IMG_20201214_070253460_HDR.jpg

My setup was 10mpg. My current LLY is a little easier on fuel, and doesn't have DEF.

So yeah, when people that say the newer ones do better on fuel, I have a hard time believing.

While fuel mileage is being discussed.....Take a typical 3/4 ton 4x4 late model stock Diesel, GM, Ford or Ram, what is realistic fuel mileage running empty on the highway?

My setup was 10mpg. My current LLY is a little easier on fuel, and doesn't have DEF.

So yeah, when people that say the newer ones do better on fuel, I have a hard time believing.

Especially considering that when it does a regen burn, it eats fuel like a mofo...
Thing is, a ton of people who own a diesel(any brand), and does not use it to work, like to claim astronomical mpg numbers. When asked how they came about those numbers, you get blank stares. When i ask how many miles it drove on the last tank, and how many gallons they put in to fill it up, i generally get an answer like "i don't fill it up every time" well then how the fuck do you know what kind of mileage you're getting? i check my mileage every tank, it will tell me if something is wrong, or the fuel there sucks. Most people don't rely on their trucks to make money, but i do, and i need to know if there's something going on before it happens. A major change in mileage can tell you a lot... but hey, I'm the idiot here:flipoff2:

As usual you entirely missed the point. No sense in trying to get you to understand it as it's obvious you never will.

Especially considering that when it does a regen burn, it eats fuel like a mofo...
Thing is, a ton of people who own a diesel(any brand), and does not use it to work, like to claim astronomical mpg numbers. When asked how they came about those numbers, you get blank stares. When i ask how many miles it drove on the last tank, and how many gallons they put in to fill it up, i generally get an answer like "i don't fill it up every time" well then how the fuck do you know what kind of mileage you're getting? i check my mileage every tank, it will tell me if something is wrong, or the fuel there sucks. Most people don't rely on their trucks to make money, but i do, and i need to know if there's something going on before it happens. A major change in mileage can tell you a lot... but hey, I'm the idiot here:flipoff2:

When I was a hotshot in a 2009 Ram 3500 6.7/manual 4x4, those liars drove me nuts. Even a lot those in the industry would lie about their economy. I know that if I was empty, I got 18-19, tops. Sure, it would creep up as high as 23-24 on the overhead, but then a regen would suck all the economy away. That was with 3.42s in the diffs (SRW). When towing a loaded enclosed trailer, it was 12-13, and I only went 60-65 mph (even in the 80 zones) to keep fuel consumption in check. The worst I got was when my dumb ass towed a 30' wind sail of a Renegade Stacker from Indy to PHX. I had to take side roads, as the wind off the semis would toss me all over the place (not enough truck for the job, should have been left for a dually or MDT), and I got something like 7.5 mpg on that trip. Talk about eating into the profit projections!

When you use them to make money, you look at ALL the expenses, to include those pesky fuel filter changes and EGR services every 67,500 miles. Unless I was towing heavy and often, I wouldn't buy a modern diesel. In fact, my current "tow rig" is a 2005 Dodge Sprinter 3500 with a 2.7 liter diesel. All the economy I need, and all the towing ability I currently need. If I need anything more in the future, I'm looking 6.8 Ford or 8.1 GM, unless I can score a 6.2/7.3 Alumiduty for a reasonable price. Its just not worth the cost, nor the potential heartache of a fuel system or emissions problem in a modern diesel truck.

As usual you entirely missed the point. No sense in trying to get you to understand it as it's obvious you never will.

:homer:Fucking retarded. We weren't talking about your old ass truck. You missed the point. Why are you keeping on with it, you seriously thought adding a non comparable in this thread actually made it better. You're the Fucking dumbest fuck on this board since all the trolls went away. Why dont you do the same?

A lot of people mistakenly trust the mileage computer function on their display and think that it's real. In my experience, that is usually a bit optimistic and can be 2-3 more MPG than reality.

In all honesty the idiots claiming those numbers are likely guessing or getting their numbers from fb or a diesel forum. Most are not calculating their mpg's.i also learned that a lot of them only tow about 10 miles max. Take their 6k lbs camper to the local campground and boom, i got 18 mpg while towing muh camper:rolleyes: I assume SanDiego CJ is one of those retards.

While fuel mileage is being discussed.....Take a typical 3/4 ton 4x4 late model stock Diesel, GM, Ford or Ram, what is realistic fuel mileage running empty on the highway?

17MPG hand calculated is about what I get unloaded hwy average in a 7200# CC LB 4x4 Cummins. I drive normally and not trying to hypermile it or hot rodding it. I have the fuckers calling high 20's or even 30's mileage in their Cummings tucks

ETA, this is in the mountains of northern NM from 5000-8000' elevations and not flatland driving.

17MPG hand calculated is about what I get unloaded hwy average in a 7200# CC LB 4x4 Cummins. I drive normally and not trying to hypermile it or hot rodding it. I have the fuckers calling high 20's or even 30's mileage in their Cummings tucks

ETA, this is in the mountains of northern NM from 5000-8000' elevations and not flatland driving.

I have done 19 mpg hand calc'd flatland from San Antonio to Houston in a 2017 Ram one ton SRW. Towing it's 12-13 mpg, depending on if it's a highway haul or just around ranch roads.

A buddy has the same truck but a 2018, he deleted it and all that stuff, he says he gets 26 mpg doing an 80 mile round trip highway commute each day unloaded.

... get blank stares. When i ask how many miles it drove on the last tank, and how many gallons they put in to fill it up, i generally get an answer like "i don't fill it up every time" well then how the fuck do you know what kind of mileage you're getting?

While there is a valid answer that could be given in place of that blank stare, like "i don't always fill it up but I do keep track of how many gallons have gone in and miles traveled in between when I actually do fill up..." Some people have this amazing ability to make some BS up in their head, speak it out of their mouths, then it gets picked up by their ears, and goes back into their brains as if it's true because it came from their own mouth. I had a friend like that, he was a good guy, just stupid.

I get 20-25 empty on the highway, 2017 l5p

I had a guy in my shop tell me that his Cummins got 24 mpg towing 14k. He said he couldn’t tell it was back there. 🙄. I suggested a bet; we take a ride in his truck towing 14k for a tank of fuel. If he got 20mpg or more I give him $10,000. If not, he gives me the truck.

I had a guy in my shop tell me that his Cummins got 24 mpg towing 14k. He said he couldn’t tell it was back there. 🙄. I suggested a bet; we take a ride in his truck towing 14k for a tank of fuel. If he got 20mpg or more I give him $10,000. If not, he gives me the truck.

and then? how often do you drive your new truck?

What about the people that claim 40 to 50k miles on tires on 3/4 to 1 ton trucks? I'm lucky to get 15 to 20 tops. And thats with them aligned pretty well and rotating every 5k or so.

Maybe they do with all road miles and no towing. Best I’ve ever done on a 3/4 ton is around 30.

I get 20-25 empty on the highway, 2017 l5p

2wd?
Deleted?
Is that your 50 mile average or tank average?
How many miles on your truck?
How many gallons of fuel have you used in the lifetime?
What size tires?
Are you adding a % to compensate for anything?
Are you hand calculating?
What truck style?
Sure my best 50 Mile average(on the display reading:rolleyes:) is 24 mpg, but my tank average never even comes close to that number.

What about the people that claim 40 to 50k miles on tires on 3/4 to 1 ton trucks? I'm lucky to get 15 to 20 tops. And thats with them aligned pretty well and rotating every 5k or so.

Lol actually i got 60k out of my og set... but should've replaced them at 40k:rolleyes:They were almost gone, and yes that's with towing at least 30k miles with 12k lbs load.
My new set are 50k rated. We'll see, they have 20k on them now and look great.
As a disclaimer, most all of my miles are freeway miles. I rotate the shit out of them. Every other oil change is rotation time.

Maybe they do with all road miles and no towing. Best I’ve ever done on a 3/4 ton is around 30.

Tires on the 08 had to be replaced at 30k, I'll never buy those again. Can't ferment the brand.
The best 10 ply tire was the Firestone at2 E range imo. Maybe not tread patten wise, but they lasted forever. I still have a set from my 08 gasser hd truck mounted and holding air. They are bald as shit though:lmao:

and then? how often do you drive your new truck?

He said he couldn’t bet his truck because he owed a bunch of $ on it it. I asked what the risk was if he was so sure it did 24 and all he had to prove was 20. He got sort of butthurt after that.

I got 75k out of the originals on that Ram, IIRC... but that was 98% highway driving like a grandpa.

Technically my 04 Sprinter 2500 was a 3/4 ton, and I'd get 120k or so on a set of Firestone Transforce HTs... but that thing's not putting down massive power or carrying huge loads.

Last edited:

My old man got 120ish thousand on a set of Michelin LTX's on his 6.5 burb 2500. Highway miles. Turning is what wears out tires.

my 05 CTD 3/4 ton would get 50k on a the old tread pattern Toyo ATs.

my 17 one ton RAM got 45k on the Michelin 10 plys.

My old man got 120ish thousand on a set of Michelin LTX's on his 6.5 burb 2500. Highway miles. Turning is what wears out tires.

My old boss would get 100k out of good year silent armors, like 3 times on 2 different trucks too. He was super anal about rotation and not turning while stopped.

Top Back Refresh