What's new

Thoughts on high mileage 2019 Duramax?

Spiritof76

Member Number
Looking at a 2019 Chevy 2500 duramax with 105k on it. Single owner. He buys them, puts a ton of highway miles on and sells them. No towing. Does the same thing every year apparently. Looks clean as hell. Always buys and sells at the same dealer.

thoughts?

My gut tells me there is some bullshit somewhere. I would be asking myself why would anyone buy a 2500 Duramax for just driving, I bet that thing has been a tow pig it's whole life. He may be one of those guys who hauls RV's to dealerships, that would explain the miles and how clean it is.

He buys them, puts a ton of highway miles on and sells them. No towing. Does the same thing every year apparently.

thoughts?

bet you hop in and hit your head on the roof, knees on the dash, while the rear view mirror is pointed directly at the bedliner

I drive a 2019 for work. Almost 80k on it. No, I wouldn't buy it. Very few issues with mine, but soooo many in our fleet are just the opposite with same miles. Really a craps shoot.

Depends on the price.
The warranty is gone so any problems are going to be on you.

The L5P engine is looking to be the best of the Duramax linage for power and fuel system. As always the Allison trans is solid.
The fuel and emission system’s are what I worry about.

About once a month I lurk over on the Duramax forum to see what the latest good and bad are.

Fuel injectors, cooling system surge tank, and DEF tank seem to be the biggest problems and most of those are warranted items that happen before 100K

Prices are crazy for new ones but when will they go down?
If your going to buy one I would look for 19 with lower miles and warranty, my opinion.

If you weren't an ignorant moron you'd realize 2019 is an L5P with a Denso pump, Denso injectors, and even a factory lift pump.

Your argument is invalid.

Whoa sorry dmax king. Some of us aren’t up on all the new fancy 96 month note, daddy’s pick trucks. Still a Chevy. Fuckin garbage. Settle down junior. :rolleyes:

My gut tells me there is some bullshit somewhere. I would be asking myself why would anyone buy a 2500 Duramax for just driving, I bet that thing has been a tow pig it's whole life. He may be one of those guys who hauls RV's to dealerships, that would explain the miles and how clean it is.

I know a guy that does exactly that. 2500 Duramax 4x4. Refuses to tow anything and I'd be shocked to learn he used the 4wd. I do not claim to understand.

There are a lot more old guy Cowboy Cadillacs than RV haulers. If it has evidence of a 5th wheel that may mean something but it more likely has a gun rack and a hat holder.

I know a guy that does exactly that. 2500 Duramax 4x4. Refuses to tow anything and I'd be shocked to learn he used the 4wd. I do not claim to understand.

Bunch of schmucks around here like that. Most of them are F-150 city boys that don’t even put a bag of mulch in the bed but you see plenty in 2500 Denali’s too. Lots of them are “contractors” that just drive around all day giving bids and sub everything out. Don’t ever see them hooked to enclosed or dump trailers.

Somewhere, pickup trucks turned into a “status symbol” which led to the race to cram as much BS tech into them as possible and drive the prices through the roof.

My 18 has almost 90k on the clock and no issues as of yet. Same truck basically.
Depending on asking price I'd probably go after it considering these trucks will go 300k with little to no issues.
Most people whining on here about gm trucks are likely fan bois of another brand. Imo new trucks should all be pretty reliable from the dealership. It's all a matter of body style choice at this point. There will always be new vehicles with major issues. That is a fact of life, and luck of the draw.
I do not like the new body style gm hd trucks. My dad has an 18 with about 25k on it. I'll be trying to buy that when I'm ready for a new one.

Reactions: IGT
My 18 has almost 90k on the clock and no issues as of yet. Same truck basically.
Depending on asking price I'd probably go after it considering these trucks will go 300k with little to no issues.
Most people whining on here about gm trucks are likely fan bois of another brand. Imo new trucks should all be pretty reliable from the dealership. It's all a matter of body style choice at this point. There will always be new vehicles with major issues. That is a fact of life, and luck of the draw.
I do not like the new body style gm hd trucks. My dad has an 18 with about 25k on it. I'll be trying to buy that when I'm ready for a new one.

Then there's some of us who own fleets of Chevy trucks and get to see the bad first hand, and pay for it.

Are the 2019s still where you have to remove the cab to get to the injectors? Dumbest shit I ever saw.

Then there's some of us who own fleets of Chevy trucks and get to see the bad first hand, and pay for it.

Are the 2019s still where you have to remove the cab to get to the injectors? Dumbest shit I ever saw.

How many duramax trucks with the l5p do you own?
How many issues have you had? What issues are more prevalent between trucks? What mileage are these issues occurring?

There are fuck tons of these trucks on the road. I think folks have issues for sure, but if they are such big pieces of shit, why am i not having issues(i have towed a 12k trailer well over 40k miles with this very truck, but if it wasn't for bad luck i wouldn't have any:homer:)? Why are my buddies who drive the same truck not having issues? So please expound upon your specific issues with these trucks so i know what to look out for.
It doesn't look like you need to remove the cab, but replacing one injector looks to be about a 6 hour job at the dealer. It does indeed look like most injector issues are actually harness connector issues on these trucks. Not seeing many other issues beside the injector harness though.

What is the price? If he wants $70,000 I’d pass. If he eats $20,000 I’d buy it. I have no experience with Diesel engines other than a Duramax and I believe the L5P is the new flagship Chevy will keep for the next decade. I like them I just can’t afford a new one.

Probably round $38-40k price, fully loaded. Crew cab. No fifth wheel or gooseneck. 4x4.

What is the price? If he wants $70,000 I’d pass. If he eats $20,000 I’d buy it. I have no experience with Diesel engines other than a Duramax and I believe the L5P is the new flagship Chevy will keep for the next decade. I like them I just can’t afford a new one.

How much towing do you do?
To be honest, if i didn't tow 25-35k miles a year I'd go back to a gasser. I love my dirty girl, but would never own one without a need for towing. Yeah, it's got gobs of power, great mileage, and torque for towing. Biggest downfall is the cost of operation(and purchase:laughing:). $90 oil changes, $120 for a fuel filter, and maintenance costs are way over a gasser. The gasser is great in its own rite, but not if you tow a ton.

How much towing do you do?
To be honest, if i didn't tow 25-35k miles a year I'd go back to a gasser. I love my dirty girl, but would never own one without a need for towing. Yeah, it's got gobs of power, great mileage, and torque for towing. Biggest downfall is the cost of operation(and purchase:laughing:). $90 oil changes, $120 for a fuel filter, and maintenance costs are way over a gasser. The gasser is great in its own rite, but not if you tow a ton.

I tow when I need to. I don’t need a 9,500 pound winch every day I drive my Jeep and I have one of those. Same logic applies. It’s great to have when I need it. I like the trucks and accept the cost of owning a 2019 Duramax in the form of $210 oil and fuel filters. I’ll take everything the newer truck offers including 20+ mpg and 1,000 ft pounds of torque over 15 mpg and $50 fuel filters if I could afford the payment. So for $20,000 I’d buy the ‘high mileage’ L5P the OP hasn’t put a price on yet. I wouldn’t for $50,000 because I can’t afford it. Maybe you should think about buying a commuter vehicle to keep your maintenance costs on the truck to a minimum.

Probably round $38-40k price, fully loaded. Crew cab. No fifth wheel or gooseneck. 4x4.

buy it.i would if I could afford it.

105k miles of highway driving and the only towing would be bumper pulls.

I'm not a GM truck guy at all but if I had to buy a Duramax that would be it. My boss has over 100k on his, his wife DD's it about half the time dragging a big horse trailer around. Other than the starter shitting the bed on a trip, it hasn't given him a bit of trouble. It does have "free flowing exhaust" though so no emissions issues. The front end "issues" are it might need some upper ball joints between now and 150k. With the way the truck market is around here 38-40k sounds about right.

There are a lot more old guy Cowboy Cadillacs than RV haulers. If it has evidence of a 5th wheel that may mean something but it more likely has a gun rack and a hat holder.

If it's not a long-bed, it's unlikely to be an RV hauler right? They don't let you 5th-wheel with short beds and a slider hitch anymore, too many crunched-up RVs. Actually they kind of put the nix on that since the '90s, last time I looked like 5 years ago I couldn't find a single RV-hauling thing that didn't have a short-bed disclaimer.

Just saying if it's not an 8' box it's probably a Cowboy Cadillac. Pickups are the Personal Luxury Vehicle for rednecks, any ol' Duramax is a convertible Eldorado with horns on the grill.

I tow when I need to. I don’t need a 9,500 pound winch every day I drive my Jeep and I have one of those. Same logic applies. It’s great to have when I need it. I like the trucks and accept the cost of owning a 2019 Duramax in the form of $210 oil and fuel filters. I’ll take everything the newer truck offers including 20+ mpg and 1,000 ft pounds of torque over 15 mpg and $50 fuel filters if I could afford the payment. So for $20,000 I’d buy the ‘high mileage’ L5P the OP hasn’t put a price on yet. I wouldn’t for $50,000 because I can’t afford it. Maybe you should think about buying a commuter vehicle to keep your maintenance costs on the truck to a minimum.

:lmao:The same logic does not apply. It's a 1k winch vs 20k difference in operating costs over the life of the vehicle... (not including the 15k difference in price) the winch cost is static, the cost of owning a vehicle absolutely not.

My truck makes me money, I'm not complaining about the cost of owning one. I was simply comparing it to a gasser since nobody ever seems to do that. They all want to talk about mileage(in most cases they're lying:rolleyes:) in order to justify the cost of buying one.
If you want to hear the real mileage numbers, here they are. It has 83k on it now. Over the last 70k it has an average of 14.3 mpg. While towing my 12k trailer it gets anywhere from 9-12 mpg. Dead heading it gets between 18-20 mpg. Those who claim they get 24 mpg every day are liars, and those that claim they get anything over 14 mpg while towing are also liars. This is my second duramax, and the 08 gets about the same mileage, but has far less power. It's also not near as comfortable. They're both work trucks, and on the job every day.

$210 in oil and fuel filters? You nuts?

I paid 14 fucking dollars for Delvac 1300 Super 15w40 2.5 gallon jug at Advance Auto (farm store had it on sale Advance Auto matched it) (after rebate) and $4 for an AC Delco oil filter with Advance Auto points.

The fuel filter can be had cheap too, it's just a single cartridge filter near the tank. TP 1015, I think. Do yourself a favor and get the filter socket, the filter base is composite and needs a nice 6 point socket on it so you don't mar it up.

I can change the oil on my Duramax cheaper than my 355 small block Chevy. :lmao:

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh