What's new

Thinking of selling out and becoming ghey with the rest of you

dntsdad

Central California
Member Number
Loc
Central California
I am contemplating selling all my 4x4 shit and going to the SXS side.

I don't need or want the biggest and baddest. Just something that can get through the Rubicon, go play at the desert, and keep my in the mountains and going places.

I have been looking at the Honda Talon 1000x. Obviously, Honda is a quality product in most regards so that is attractive but not sure if their SXS offering is up to par. I trust Japanese makers more than Polaris honestly but Polaris has been in the game longer. Also looked at the Kawasaki offering and I am not sure why honestly, but always been biased against Kawasaki since way back in my motorcross day starting in my teens.

Any opinions on the Talon?

j9Zj5ig.jpg

This is all I got:flipoff2:

Sold my Ranger a few weeks ago.

Was it or the Mb4/94

I tried a talon and was beyond disappointed in it. Spent more time in the shop than on the trail, sold it for a loss after a year.

They're terrible for rock crawling anyway, no front locker, tall gearing and jumpy clutch engagement.

I don't know why you would want a SxS for the Rubicon anyway. You enjoy running 3/4 of the trail and then having to go all the way back out to the trailer?

CA also has been known to be picky about green sticker rigs on certain FS roads.

The krx1000 seems to be the king of sport sxs's, or the rmax is a good in between unit if you really want to be homosexual.

Reactions: Clb
Krx is a beast, but slow
Can Am is fast but pricey, tons of aftermarket support for the x3
Polaris is the OG. lots of parts easy to work on

i have both right now. the jeep is great but everything is 2-5 times more expensive than the X3. even the fuel consumption on the X3 is great.

only 2 downfalls of the X3 that keep me from selling everything and going SxS is the street legality and AC. if i could drive it around here (louisiana/mississippi) on the streets, id be a happy dude

Buy a KRX. That's what I'll probably end up with if I ever sell my Honda Talon short course car. The kawi's are built like brick shit houses and can definitely take trail/crawling abuse better than a race model SxS.

Polaris RzR's are garbage. If you like wrenching on your stuff all the time buy one of those. :laughing:

CanAm x3 is the new hot ticket item. Upgrade it to 15 inch wheels and 35s with full skids. There are probably more X3 side by sides on the trails than anything so spare parts and knowledge will be available.

My father in law has some Robbie Gordon Artic Cat thing. It's cool, but no one else has what he has, so everything THEY have that HE doesn't he has to find some work around. Instead of buying a built in GPS he buys some cheap tablet with OnX off road subscription and a Go Pro for a back up camera. His back up camera is mirrored and he doesn't like it. Heck, he was pissed off about the GoPro not working as a backup camera and I told him "well it wasn't built with the intention of being a back up camera, and you could just buy a back up camera and a screen."

The Honda Talon may be quality built, but the engineers totally F'ed up the suspension geometry. Those things will give you kidney problems. I went with the KRX because of ride quality, and where I ride in Arkansas it's all woods trails and rock crawling so I don't need 200hp. If I were closer to a lot of sand I'd go the turbo X3 route.

I have a 2020 4xp Turbo, currently all stock, with 180 hours on it, and we got a 2022 General Deluxe with 30 hours on it for the wife to take out on the trails and for yard use.

I like them, Haven't had any issues, but I feel I know how to drive decent and did most of my stupid shit in my old rock crawlers and my last crawler/ultra4 buggy.

Don't drive them like they are indestructible, and they will last in stock form and be a lot of fun...or build them up more and go beat on them :idea:

My goal was to get out in the woods exploring as much as possible, and to cover a lot more ground comfortably. They do a great job of that.

Thanks everyone

I will look more into the Kawasaki. I have looked and by all accounts it's a nice machine.

Don't see them used as much and not sure I want to stomach the price of new.........and then all the bullshit making it up to par. BUT the same can be said about the Honda's as well.

I hope to stay away from the Polaris. Those fuckers couldn't even make my pool cleaner not break all the time. X3 is super pricey and not really wanting a full race rig for a bazillion HP. I may sometimes but the occasional want will pass and I'll trade reliability for it at this point in my life.

I tried a talon and was beyond disappointed in it. Spent more time in the shop than on the trail, sold it for a loss after a year.

They're terrible for rock crawling anyway, no front locker, tall gearing and jumpy clutch engagement.

I don't know why you would want a SxS for the Rubicon anyway. You enjoy running 3/4 of the trail and then having to go all the way back out to the trailer?

CA also has been known to be picky about green sticker rigs on certain FS roads.

The krx1000 seems to be the king of sport sxs's, or the rmax is a good in between unit if you really want to be homosexual.
I just was using Rubicon for an example of the terrain I would likely use it most on. Not necessarily THE Rubicon. Just an example most people reading would know. Poor wording on my part.

I have only been through it a couple times personally a long ass time ago. I can't remember, would you not be able to take the SXS through all the way?

I have a YXZ and X3...both have tons of shit done to them. They both shine in their respective arenas, both are street legal, both are extremely capable, all of them will end up needing parts and pieces to optimize them for what you're doing. It seems like you're doing your research, be sure of what is important to you. I've found that the X3 has become the most versatile for what we do...Moab, dunes, rocky/muddy mountain trails.
IMG_9007.jpeg

IMG_3764.jpeg

I just was using Rubicon for an example of the terrain I would likely use it most on. Not necessarily THE Rubicon. Just an example most people reading would know. Poor wording on my part.

I have only been through it a couple times personally a long ass time ago. I can't remember, would you not be able to take the SXS through all the way?
I haven't seen a ton of them on the con. Not anything like I have in SW Colorado or Moab.

Probably because the best thing about SXS is going fast and there are too many random rocks every 3 feet on the trail. I saw exactly one on my recent rubicon trip and it was parked right before Buck with 2 broken axles.

Polaris RzR's are garbage. If you like wrenching on your stuff all the time buy one of those. :laughing:

I have 4000+ miles on mine
all I have done is belts (2) and oil changes

if you remember that it isn't a trophy truck and will not last if you treat it as a win-at-all-costs machine, they are a good machine
and yes we are not easy on it, was on its top again this winter in the snow :grinpimp:

if op wants a crawler
I don't think there is not much better bang/buck as a old school Rhino

full diff lock front/rear
those things will go anywhere.......just not faster than 42mph without mods :grinpimp:

I don't want a crawler. I want to go fast in the right places. I just need to always be going the fastest in the group. I do want to be able to crawl though also but again I don't need to keep up a pace with my 2.8/4.7 5.29 Toyota.

I just want to be able to get to most places either slow or fast depending. 4 seater is a must if I didn't say it above and is relevant.

I just want to best of both worlds and never break anything. :flipoff2:

Not a popular statement on this forum

...but I haven't met a crawler on the trail that even remotely out preformed my sxs, even still in 2wd:flipoff2::stirthepot::laughing:

I gotcha.

Most are absolutely capable of making it through. It's more the issue of being tied to a trailer on one end. They also have zero space to pack camping stuff and look like they loose all ground clearance when they are packed with 4 people and a ton of stuff for camping.

My buddy also said that Boulder type wheelin is rough in a SxS. You're just bouncing off the frame and often have to use momentum to get through stuff. Not family friendly imo.

Moab type trails look like a blast though.

Also, the wheelbase of 4 seaters get crazy. Rzr and talon are ~117" the new krx is 125", the x3 and pro R come in at 135" :lmao:

Kinda ruins the maneuverability of a SxS and obviously breakover angle is horrible.

I gotcha.

Most are absolutely capable of making it through. It's more the issue of being tied to a trailer on one end. They also have zero space to pack camping stuff and look like they loose all ground clearance when they are packed with 4 people and a ton of stuff for camping.

My buddy also said that Boulder type wheelin is rough in a SxS. You're just bouncing off the frame and often have to use momentum to get through stuff. Not family friendly imo.

Moab type trails look like a blast though.

Also, the wheelbase of 4 seaters get crazy. Rzr and talon are ~117" the new krx is 125", the x3 and pro R come in at 135" :lmao:

Kinda ruins the maneuverability of a SxS and obviously breakover angle is horrible.
Yeah wheelbase is something that Im concerned with somewhat but with a soon to be 4 year old grandaugther. There is no choice.

Add single but going to start looking soon to change that, and I need to have options.

How is a BJ while drive in a SXS? Is there plenty of "headroom"? :grinpimp:

Yeah wheelbase is something that Im concerned with somewhat but with a soon to be 4 year old grandaugther. There is no choice.

Add single but going to start looking soon to change that, and I need to have options.

How is a BJ while drive in a SXS? Is there plenty of "headroom"? :grinpimp:

The other thing that I hated was how loud the thing was. Like to the point my buddy asked if I was worried about my kids hearing being damaged in the back seat :homer:

If you want to go fast. Pick up a SxS, but It will not replace your crawler imo.

Top Back Refresh