What's new

Thinking of selling out and becoming ghey with the rest of you

but It will not replace your crawler imo.
im going to put that to the test.
35' stickies
4" 30% portals
sliders and cage
boxed arms
(still need to plate the rear trailing arms)

A7348DA3-198F-47EF-8282-1BE53851894A.jpeg

Last edited:
Also, the wheelbase of 4 seaters get crazy. Rzr and talon are ~117" the new krx is 125", the x3 and pro R come in at 135" :lmao:

Kinda ruins the maneuverability of a SxS and obviously breakover angle is horrible.
cant argue that, this thing is a full on school bus on the trail.

god forbid you have to turn around or miss a turn. :shaking::shaking:

The other thing that I hated was how loud the thing was. Like to the point my buddy asked if I was worried about my kids hearing being damaged in the back seat :homer:
that is a good point - an intercom kit is almost mandatory for these 4 seats if you want to talk to the backseat.

one of the upsides of these 4 seat is that the front seat is farther removed from the motor, so its nicer (cooler and quieter) but its damn near impossible to communicate with the back seat.

I've had a SxS since Sept '16. I'll never go back to a Jeep for wheeling.

As was said before, don't beat on them like a trophy truck and they'll last. I'd stick with Polaris, Can Am or Kawasaki. The Can Am 4 seaters are as long as a fuggin bus though. Lol

im going to put that to the test.
35' stickies
4" 30% portals
sliders and cage
boxed arms
(still need to plate the rear trailing arms)

You guys have such a different dynamic over there though. Network of short trails all close to the tow rig vs 2-3 day trips miles and miles into the woods.

I have also heard that portals kill a lot of the high speed ability. But I can't imagine it making it as slow as the average crawler :laughing:

As was said before, don't beat on them like a trophy truck and they'll last. I'd stick with Polaris, Can Am or Kawasaki. The Can Am 4 seaters are as long as a fuggin bus though. Lol

The kawk 4 seat is almost as long and the pro r is the same as the can am.

If you don't want an all out 200hp sport machine, I really like the Rmaxx, the 4 seat is only 90" wb and they still have the same hp and suspension travel as a talon x.

You guys have such a different dynamic over there though. Network of short trails all close to the tow rig vs 2-3 day trips miles and miles into the woods.

I have also heard that portals kill a lot of the high speed ability. But I can't imagine it making it as slow as the average crawler :laughing:
yeah, my first time at the hammers was mind blowing...

Polaris XP4 is 12'
KRX4 is 13'
Can Am X3 Max is 14'

I have several friends with a 4 seater and they say they don't even notice the extra length when riding. yes on super tight eastern trails it may be an issue but I think most people get used to it and plan for it when coming up on corners. My next buggy will be a 4 seater. :grinpimp:

Honestly it will depend on if the OP wants a sport utility crossover type like a General or Rmax. I will say the trailing arm style suspension will ride much better even at slower trail speeds than a dual rear A-arm suspension. My first RZR was a 900s. It was a ton of fun but even $800 in dual rate springs it didn't come close to riding as good as my XP did with shitty stock springs on it.

The other thing that I hated was how loud the thing was. Like to the point my buddy asked if I was worried about my kids hearing being damaged in the back seat :homer:

If you want to go fast. Pick up a SxS, but It will not replace your crawler imo.
I have a KRX, 05 LJ, and an early 2000s era Werock buggy. The KRX with 35" Roxxilla stickies, skid plates, and a cage w/ harnesses is the best crawler of the bunch. It is loud as hell with a solid roof reflecting everything back down at you so I just use a mesh top for a little shade and less noise.

I beat on the KRX mercilessly and have had no issues other than standard maintenance.

yeah, my first time at the hammers was mind blowing...

Hammers is probably the most similar to east coast stuff. You're never all that far from the trailer.

Rubicon is 27 miles. No bail out trails, so if you break in the middle, it's 13.5 miles uphill through some decently hard terrain.

The 4 seat Rmax has less rear travel than the 2 seat version.

Good to know, my point was that it's not a Polaris ranger type machine.

Rubicon is 27 miles. No bail out trails, so if you break in the middle, it's 13.5 miles uphill through some decently hard terrain.
nope. nothing like that here. we do have some cross state style longer "trails" that are "95% offroad" but most of it is flat gravel roads.
and im personally 7-11 hours away from any decent wheeling. gotta love that tow rig

Yesterday for Dad's day, went on a 6 hour round trip excursion to visit my parents at their place on a nearby lake, wife and youngest daughter (5 years old) in her '22 general, my second youngest daughter ( 8 years old) in a '17 ACE 150, and me in the '20 4xp turbo...

We ran a bunch of tight trails, squeezing the tires in and rubbing plastic for miles, swamp crossings, creek crossing, higher speed FSR, some small rock crawling and hill climbs, open range cattle dodging. A quick run down the shoulder of the highway where the FSR's don't line up and a ranchers locked gate cause a detour. Had to tug the Ace through some deep rutted mud but all in all, SMILES for everyone.

An awesome family trip everyone enjoyed.

I loved rockcrawling, racing and 4x4'ing my trucks and buggies, but I spent way more time wrenching and building them, then I do on the side by sides. The 4xp turbo in bone stock form still, goes plenty of places to keep my happy (will be getting some new mods eventually, need to install the upgraded axles I have soon, and get some slightly larger tires once these are dead) The wife loves her General Deluxe, has a stereo, roof and windshield, Dogs ride in the back, its not as fast or comfy suspension wise as the 4xp, but she has a blast and its plenty capable for our usual longer distance exploring. Her and our youngest are usually found at the end of the trail, music blasting and big smiles on their faces.

Seems to be way more fun for the whole family vs when I had rock buggies and 4x4's. Yes I guess I could of have built to offroad trucks or buggy's but that would eat up way more time on the building and wrenching, and around here limit where we can fit and go.

Maybe I am :rainbow: but my wife seems to really enjoy it... :laughing:

Yesterday for Dad's day, went on a 6 hour round trip excursion to visit my parents at their place on a nearby lake, wife and youngest daughter (5 years old) in her '22 general, my second youngest daughter ( 8 years old) in a '17 ACE 150, and me in the '20 4xp turbo...

We ran a bunch of tight trails, squeezing the tires in and rubbing plastic for miles, swamp crossings, creek crossing, higher speed FSR, some small rock crawling and hill climbs, open range cattle dodging. A quick run down the shoulder of the highway where the FSR's don't line up and a ranchers locked gate cause a detour. Had to tug the Ace through some deep rutted mud but all in all, SMILES for everyone.

An awesome family trip everyone enjoyed.

I loved rockcrawling, racing and 4x4'ing my trucks and buggies, but I spent way more time wrenching and building them, then I do on the side by sides. The 4xp turbo in bone stock form still, goes plenty of places to keep my happy (will be getting some new mods eventually, need to install the upgraded axles I have soon, and get some slightly larger tires once these are dead) The wife loves her General Deluxe, has a stereo, roof and windshield, Dogs ride in the back, its not as fast or comfy suspension wise as the 4xp, but she has a blast and its plenty capable for our usual longer distance exploring. Her and our youngest are usually found at the end of the trail, music blasting and big smiles on their faces.

Seems to be way more fun for the whole family vs when I had rock buggies and 4x4's. Yes I guess I could of have built to offroad trucks or buggy's but that would eat up way more time on the building and wrenching, and around here limit where we can fit and go.

Maybe I am :rainbow: but my wife seems to really enjoy it... :laughing:

Sounds like your area is set up well for them. I totally get the appeal of them in areas where you can just go and go, jaunt down a highway, ect.

Imo, norcal is not. Especially if you're in an area where the rangers want to be dicks. There are even many fire roads that require full plates.

Also, I don't think they require less wrench time than a crawler if you do more than bebop down dirt trails. I had many more hours of shop time in mine that seat time.

Yota it sounds like you had a shitty experience with your Honda. Sorry you feel that way but not everyone has had that experience. I know how you feel, you bought a Honda thinking I can't go wrong with Big Red! they built the 250R! No was is the Talon/Pioneer a POS. well guess what. they are and now you have a bad taste in your mouth. If you are happy with your redneck SXS (sidekick with OHV tires on it) then you can keep your redneck SXS. We don't care. we will still ride with you. (prolly make gay jokes) but we will still ride with you.. :rainbow:

Yota it sounds like you had a shitty experience with your Honda. Sorry you feel that way but not everyone has had that experience. I know how you feel, you bought a Honda thinking I can't go wrong with Big Red! they built the 250R! No was is the Talon/Pioneer a POS. well guess what. they are and now you have a bad taste in your mouth. If you are happy with your redneck SXS (sidekick with OHV tires on it) then you can keep your redneck SXS. We don't care. we will still ride with you. (prolly make gay jokes) but we will still ride with you.. :rainbow:

My Talon R has had zero problems and it's been nothing but a race car since it rolled off the showroom floor. Some people have shit luck and/or shitty dealers...

474A0438.jpeg.jpg

IMG_0023.jpeg.jpg

474A8726.jpeg.jpg

That junk ass Honda with a stock motor and nothing more than an internet tune and a POS HMF exhaust got me quite a few heat race and feature podiums last year racing the Texas Outlaw Series at Texplex Park. I also finished 2nd in overall points...:smokin:

Doesn't change my point about certain areas being more conducive to sxs's or not. Imo, nor cal isn't a good place. At least if you're coming from a crawler you can drive down the road.

I see other parts of the country where sxs's seem to make a ton of sense.

My Talon R has had zero problems and it's been nothing but a race car since it rolled off the showroom floor. Some people have shit luck and/or shitty dealers...

474A0438.jpeg.jpg

IMG_0023.jpeg.jpg

474A8726.jpeg.jpg

That junk ass Honda with a stock motor and nothing more than an internet tune and a POS HMF exhaust got me quite a few heat race and feature podiums last year racing the Texas Outlaw Series at Texplex Park. I also finished 2nd in overall points...:smokin:
I know you have had great luck with your Talon. I just feel like Yota has a hard on for sxs in general and feels like he needs to bash them at every chance he gets..

I honestly don't care what brand people buy as long as they have fun, have good trail manners and be responsible.

I know you have had great luck with your Talon. I just feel like Yota has a hard on for sxs in general and feels like he needs to bash them at every chance he gets..

I honestly don't care what brand people buy as long as they have fun, have good trail manners and be responsible.

Can you not wrap your brain around that different parts of the country are....... Different?

I even said that they were good for certain areas. Back east you mostly have parks. You pull into a parking area, unload and beat on it for a few hours, then drag it back onto the trailer. It's just not like that out west. Lots of trails are long and sometimes you need to drive down a fucked dirt road to get to the beginning of the trail. Ever tow 15+ miles on a rough ass dirt road? It's not all that fun. As mentioned, some rangers can and will enforce registration tickets on certain roads. I was actually stopped years ago in my samurai for driving a green sticker rig, on a dirt road. Only reason I didn't get a ticket, was because there was still big snow drifts on that road.

I just laugh at the guys who spend all the money on a big truck, trailer and sxs, just to drive down the same roads and trails I drive in my old stockish 4runner.

Another thing is that you're supposed to wear helmits full time in CA. Kinda annoying if you're just out for a trail ride. I'm also not sure if the benefits of a full face helmet are worth it on young kids, their head is so far from anything, yet all that wieght in their neck can't be good.

Last edited:
Thought you upgraded everything short of the engine? I still sorta like the Honda and Yamaha platforms but they are not the most popular at the moment.

This! ^ all the this! ^
Last race in Braodview, 200 miles Mike Slawson raced a stock Polaris turbo and won by 7 minutes. He doesn't wrench on it much and rarely breaks anything. 2nd place was also R trubo and he broke a couple things here and there but it's been very low maint for him. They seem to hold up for some anyways.

Thought you upgraded everything short of the engine? I still sorta like the Honda and Yamaha platforms but they are not the most popular at the moment.

I only upgrades a few suspension and steering components that are known issues to make it reliable for race use. The only other parts I broke/swapped for aftermarket were because of a crash. Can't blame Honda for that, 100% my fault.:homer:

I've had a friends 2021 Yamaha YXZ short course car at my house for a month or so and have driven it a few times. Meh..... It's cool if you like noise and revving the fuck out of a motor to make it go. Makes zero torque down low and I feel like I never stop shifting the damn thing.

:beer:

I only upgrades a few suspension and steering components that are known issues to make it reliable for race use. The only other parts I broke/swapped for aftermarket were because of a crash. Can't blame Honda for that, 100% my fault.:homer:

I've had a friends 2021 Yamaha YXZ short course car at my house for a month or so and have driven it a few times. Meh..... It's cool if you like noise and revving the fuck out of a motor to make it go. Makes zero torque down low and I feel like I never stop shifting the damn thing.
yeah the yxz leaves some to be desired. The platform seemed good just the parameter they used are odd. I do like the noise, doesn't sound like a lawn mower atleast.

Well my samurai is too much of a project currently to downsize and attempt to do sxs things, so I bought a sxs last night.

I wound up with a 2012 rhino, original owner who was a farmer. Well cared for, no undercarriage scratches, never even applied the registration stickers nor locked the front diff in (switch was frozen). He passed two years ago and the family is leaving the state, so it was time to go.

Not looking to go fast, trying to blend utility with maneuverability for work around the house, trail work and hunting. Even if I had dumped the purchase price into my samurai I still feel this stock rhino would be quicker and smoother through the woods and trails I plan to run.

Attachments

• 37229E77-DF6A-4D49-8DC7-5E3CD5EE043A.jpeg
    37229E77-DF6A-4D49-8DC7-5E3CD5EE043A.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 17
Rhino's are great, they really are the og sxs. Sure there was utility stuff like the gator and mule before, but nobody wants that on the trails.

Not exactly family friendly though. There are rear seat kits, but they're kinda wierd and not typically CA legal.

Just started the write up on the toyota crawler to try to sell it.

Wanting the 4 seater Kawi.

We shall see

Top Back Refresh