What's new

things we don't see in homes, but should

X2 for deeper garages, I'd say minimum 30'. When my folks built their house they oversized the garage to ~25' deep and it was great, then we tried to fit a plow truck in it and a regular cab long bed with plow just fits with a few inches in front and in back so you have to climb over the plow or through the cab to get across the garage. It also means that that one bay can never have a shelf or anything against the back wall if the truck is still going to fit
Mine is 33'd and 30'w and it's barely adequate for my 98 4Runner, the 1500 Ram and my wifes kiddie car Hyndaudi, but it's way better than the old 3 car garage I had in Vegas that could barely fit a FS Bronco, a 911 and a two place PWC trailer.

LED's.jpg

I just built a house....I asked the electrician to put some outlets in our walk in closet. He asked why. I told him "so my wife can charge her toys...duh":flipoff2:
We have an outlet in the closet in our master bedroom. Have a motion activated nightlight plugged into it.

I am going to add one to my broom closet one of these days though. Right now there is one on the outside wall next to it, so it wouldn’t be too hard to tap off the back of that to put one actually inside the broom closet. Then I’d be able to plug in and charge the vacuum and dust buster and such in there while they are being stored.

We have an outlet in the closet in our master bedroom. Have a motion activated nightlight plugged into it.

I am going to add one to my broom closet one of these days though. Right now there is one on the outside wall next to it, so it wouldn’t be too hard to tap off the back of that to put one actually inside the broom closet. Then I’d be able to plug in and charge the vacuum and dust buster and such in there while they are being stored.

That's a good one. Currently the batteries are out to get charged... Which turns into always being out. Annoying.

Only because some dumbass decided the workbench and toolboxes should go at the end of the bay vs off to the side.
I'll be sure to consult you the next time I set up a garage. What you can't see is the drill press, 60g air compressor, chop saw, grinder, MIG and 15" sub. Nor can you see the racks of sample products for my job. The tool boxes are where they can be easily accessed without having to walk around a vehicle.

Dumbass.

That's a good one. Currently the batteries are out to get charged... Which turns into always being out. Annoying.
Exactly. When all it will take is an old work box, a little Romex, a keyhole saw, and an outlet and I’ll have power inside the closet instead. Just need to get around to actually doing it.

I'll be sure to consult you the next time I set up a garage. What you can't see is the drill press, 60g air compressor, chop saw, grinder, MIG and 15" sub. Nor can you see the racks of sample products for my job. The tool boxes are where they can be easily accessed without having to walk around a vehicle.

Dumbass.
All I see is under-utilized wall space. :flipoff2:

Motion activated light in the pantry. Times out after 30 seconds. Wife wasn't too sure when I first mentioned it, but now loves it.
ya, we just put some push button light jobbers in all the closets. run on AAs, but will last long enough for how much they'll get used.

Great ideas.

Gonna order me some of those motion night lights. They would make it easier to not fall on my a$$ in the middle of the night.

I have done some of this stuff. Also added a lot of led accent lighting and plugs under cabinets and stuff like that.

You would have loved a house we did in Alb, all the exterior lights could be run from the front door, the back and the master bedroom. there were 2 banks of 4 switches in every spot, and before all you jump in and start telling me how you could do it with low voltage and touch pads. This was 1994 all that stuff was still experimental especially in ALb Nm
You made my dream a reality when I was only 8. Something I forgot was my house has windows in the shower wall, and the tub/shower wall. It's really nice to be able to watch the sun rise or birds in the feeders while in the shower. The switch for the outside lighting will have to go just outside the fake rock surround.
choose your sink to be one that doesn't have much if any countertop in front of it so that you can drop your dong in there
This is a sound method that has served me well since my teenage years. Sucks for whoever uses the hand towel after me though.

Also, In cabinet lighting, I'm going to run a simple rgbw strip inside my lower cabinets, and just leave it on 24/7 since they draw so little power.

We have a boiler in the basement, so we use a lot.
Probably ought to look into putting a pot on top of the boiler and putting a fill valve on it.

Aaron Z
Shower with the door open. We heat with wood and run a copper tea kettle full time. But since leaving the shower door cracked several inches there has been a noticeable improvement in the lack of crusty bloody nose buggers in the morning.

Last edited:
I don't know why covered parking and walkways are not more of a thing. Especially in snow country. But even rain, leaves and tree sap are just as annoying.
Wait until mice become a problem in your car. Then closed garages are a better choice. Cant wait to have a closed garage again. Will never take one for granted again.

Zero height entries. I never realized it until I became a cripple, but every fucking house has at least 1 step to get in. Maybe thats less of a problem in places with no basements, but around here they are not common
I'm about to start on a home

this is going to be engineered from day 1, zero steps:grinpimp:

I could run a brothel out of mine, and she would never know.
Macking them, then pimp, pimp, pimp 😎
nintchdbpict000356589937.jpg

Stand alone shop only. Fuck working out of a garage connected to the house.
For commercial uses, yes... But here, if connected to house, it lowers the taxes.

New house would have a shrine outside for Old Glory :usa:. Plus i would have two dedicated rooms for...
1) a round table for lawyers
2) tax prep/CPA

Also, In cabinet lighting, I'm going to run a simple rgbw strip inside my lower cabinets, and just leave it on 24/7 since they draw so little power.
rgb led gay
Shower with the door open. We heat with wood and run a copper tea kettle full time. But since leaving the shower door cracked several inches there has been a noticeable improvement in the lack of crusty bloody nose buggers in the morning.
run a li'l space heater in the bathroom when I'm in there (heat with gas so it stays like 60 in the house)
when done showering turn it to 'fan only' and have it blowing in the bottom of the doorway to circulate air and 'dry out' the bathroom into the rest of the house

normally I'd be running the fart fan to exhaust the humidity but not in the winter

rgb led gay
run a li'l space heater in the bathroom when I'm in there (heat with gas so it stays like 60 in the house)
when done showering turn it to 'fan only' and have it blowing in the bottom of the doorway to circulate air and 'dry out' the bathroom into the rest of the house

normally I'd be running the fart fan to exhaust the humidity but not in the winter
Yup summer is fart fan and an open window.

Just got back from some family stuff... spent some time in a 22x23 garage (w 8x18 door). Not as good as my 24x24 standard idea, but would be totally doable for 99% of America. 4 door shortbed and an Expedition, plenty of room to get in and out of either. Just an extra 100sf and it's actually usable for 2 vehicles.

Just got back from some family stuff... spent some time in a 22x23 garage (w 8x18 door). Not as good as my 24x24 standard idea, but would be totally doable for 99% of America. 4 door shortbed and an Expedition, plenty of room to get in and out of either. Just an extra 100sf and it's actually usable for 2 vehicles.
My old place was 24x26 with 18x9ft door.

Was plenty big for use as a garage. Crew cab schlong bed dually 3500 fit ok.
As a workshop, it was small.

Exactly. When all it will take is an old work box, a little Romex, a keyhole saw, and an outlet and I’ll have power inside the closet instead. Just need to get around to actually doing it.
I wonder how common is it for batteries to catch fire?

I considered to build an enclosure for power tools’ batteries and their chargers. The enclosure is to store them and to contain the fire if a battery should ignite.

If I could I would have my whole property covered, paved and no grass. Done. Stupid rain.
i've got a ton of concrete at my place. its great and all most of the time, but it also needs to be cleaned allot.

i use the leaf blower once a wk min, and sometimes everyday. then there is the green slime and junk that builds up. it can get slick enough that i've had to back up and get a run at it in the van. it takes 8-12hrs to powerwash it.

I wonder how common is it for batteries to catch fire?

I considered to build an enclosure for power tools’ batteries and their chargers. The enclosure is to store them and to contain the fire if a battery should ignite.
I have a 4'x5'x2' cabinet (was a old RR Signals control cabinet) that is going to get a small heater and outlets so my batteries stay above freezing and are contained if one of them catches on fire.
Also has a metal shelf (one of the cheap ones that you assemble) to put all the cordless tools on.

Aaron Z

My old place was 24x26 with 18x9ft door.

Was plenty big for use as a garage. Crew cab schlong bed dually 3500 fit ok.
As a workshop, it was small.
As a workshop, all garages are small.

Personally- I'm rich as fuck... i keep a grand or two in checking at all times just because I can.... I don't have to worry about wrenching where I park anymore. I have separate areas of the estate for parking.

Throwing FCAW sparks down the side of the wife's DD is so 10 years ago.

:flipoff2:

i've got a ton of concrete at my place. its great and all most of the time, but it also needs to be cleaned allot.

i use the leaf blower once a wk min, and sometimes everyday. then there is the green slime and junk that builds up. it can get slick enough that i've had to back up and get a run at it in the van. it takes 8-12hrs to powerwash it.
Good point. Hopefully being covered would alleviate all that. I wonder if pervious concrete would be any better? But then again with all the tree crap falling on it around here it might just fill all the holes in.

Alas, I may just have to go pick up that street sweeper project that I've been eyeballing for a while, lol.

Top Back Refresh