What's new

Thefishguy77’s attempt at chainsaw art...

Waiting on sand paper and belts to finish the tree set so I started another commission job. This owl will sit on a stump and I will carve an owl in a log below the full body owl. Haven’t done a full body owl for over a year. Its going surprisingly well. Stopping point for the night.
IMG_8676.jpeg

Debating if I finish it. Would add cost and time. I sell the framed trees for $125. Figure Bigfoot same size and wood is $150 unfinished and finished would be a minimum of $175.

Its about 1.5x1.5’ and and inch and a half thick

Had a squatch frame break apart so I ended up with this. Going to try and get another owl carved and 2 more of each squatch style. The Bee supply store I use liked my stuff so I am now selling out of her store as well. Probably going to cut the squatches out with a jigsaw seems like an easier way to get it done
IMG_8936.jpeg

Incredible work you do. I wish I could haul all tree I fell to give to you
Dont do that. I am running out of room as it is. :lmao: I am quickly turning into a wood snob for carving. Redwood or Cedar only. I do have some dug fur projects planned though, couple bear benches I have nice slabs for. That escalated quickly:lmao:

ETA:
Gong to start spraying my finishes. HF HVLP gun and a spar urethane. I know I need to thin it to get it to spray better but opinions are all over the place on how much to cut it with thinner. Anyone have an opinion on it.

got your booth at the Washington state Fairgrounds locked up yet?:grinpimp:
Another quote :homer:

This is why I am not ready for the state fair. Bears have to be on point before I even try and play with the big boys. I figure I need to carve a few dozen before I’m happy with them. Fucked up the front paws so I am going to open them up a bit and slot a welcome sign in there. :lmao:

Still need to finish the eyes and nose and back paws (going to paint the bottom of the pads) as well but its an average bear at best.
IMG_9467.jpeg

Holy shit I’m whooped. We are tearing down our carport to replace it with an actual garage. Moved all my slabs and a bunch of 16’ 2x6 T&G. A mix of milled up Cedar, Dug Fir Slabs and a bunch of Maple slabs
IMG_9492.jpeg
IMG_9493.jpeg
IMG_9497.jpeg

Holy shit I’m whooped. We are tearing down our carport to replace it with an actual garage. Moved all my slabs and a bunch of 16’ 2x6 T&G. A mix of milled up Cedar, Dug Fir Slabs and a bunch of Maple slabs
IMG_9492.jpeg
IMG_9493.jpeg
IMG_9497.jpeg

Do you have a mill?

Alright. Got started on part of that owl commission piece. Got the main part of the owl in the tree done. Need to detail the face and decide if I have a little baby owl head sticking out from behind this one. Cant fuck this one up. Love the pressure but also need to watch the ego overruling smart. Then that whole body owl will sit on top of the stump and I will shape the top to drain away and not pool along with adding bark texture to the stump. Removing the bark on the stump is hell on the chain. Still have the back side to do
IMG_9891.jpeg

Last edited:
Well decided against the baby owl face for now. Need more practice, then I can add it later. Need to wait till they come out to place the big full bodied owl and till the burn ban is lifted to burn in the owl and stump. But here is where she sits. May go out tomorrow and paint the eyes, beak & shadow in the nook the owl is in. Also my shoulders are whooped doing all the bark texture over my head still need to figure out the best way to remove the bark on the back side, it’s against the railing but thinking it will loosen this winter and can pop it off next spring
IMG_9896.jpeg

Top Back Refresh