What's new

Thefishguy77’s attempt at chainsaw art...

Started an eagle and the head turned it in to a seagull. :lmao::lmao:😔
EB53573A-C2AE-4712-AD25-A071F4B98840.jpeg
6A579B40-DBE5-4910-A0A0-D8D8E5B6C133.jpeg

End of the week clean up for those worrisome moms out there:flipoff2:

A cordless leaf blower would make short work of that between projects and breaks.... and probably make it much more pleasant.
Leaf blowers only spread is more actually. Gave up on that shortly ofter starting carving. Its so fine with the 1/4 pitch .050 chain that its like blowing dry topsoil. Rake broom and shovel. Then wheelbarrow to the hole I am slowly filling in. Fire season hits I am going to throw a few inches of dirt on top of my sawdust fill till winter. And done for a while. Be no time with everything leading up to easter. And my oldest birthday is this coming week as well. There is a layer of gravel jist under the top dust layer ETA whats funny is my neighbors like me carving as the area always smells like a cedar sawmill
3F2B1DDB-7639-4F16-B684-95F7B0C657F8.jpeg

So got asked to clean and finish another carving in town. Not mine but a Big bear. Probably 10’ tall 48” across. They have 3 gallons of an acceptable finish. The carving has never been sealed before. I told them I wont modify someones are but will clean and finish it to protect it. Thinking a mild bleach based cleaner to brighten it back up, light sand where needed and then finish. Cleaning will be a day then let it dry back out. Sanding will probably be a day with an air blow off at the end of the day. The finish will be a day as well.

I have zero idea what to charge for this. Any ideas?

So got asked to clean and finish another carving in town. Not mine but a Big bear. Probably 10’ tall 48” across. They have 3 gallons of an acceptable finish. The carving has never been sealed before. I told them I wont modify someones are but will clean and finish it to protect it. Thinking a mild bleach based cleaner to brighten it back up, light sand where needed and then finish. Cleaning will be a day then let it dry back out. Sanding will probably be a day with an air blow off at the end of the day. The finish will be a day as well.

I have zero idea what to charge for this. Any ideas?

At a personal residence or a county park? If a personal thing then full blown retail. If at a park and you can afford to not charge or charge very little ask for a small writeup with a few pics of you doing it and of your products and where they can be found in the paper.

At a personal residence or a county park? If a personal thing then full blown retail. If at a park and you can afford to not charge or charge very little ask for a small writeup with a few pics of you doing it and of your products and where they can be found in the paper.
It’s at a regional library. The thing about it is that its going to paid for by a private organization that completely separate from said library. I have been told to “make sure I get paid” for it as well by the gal in charge of the money.

It’s at a regional library. The thing about it is that its going to paid for by a private organization that completely separate from said library. I have been told to “make sure I get paid” for it as well by the gal in charge of the money.
Free plus a small plaque underneath with "maintined by fishguy" and a qr code going to your etsy store or whatever.

Are you going to get 1099 at the end of the year for this? If so $1500. If not $1000

Free plus a small plaque underneath with "maintined by fishguy" and a qr code going to your etsy store or whatever.

Are you going to get 1099 at the end of the year for this? If so $1500. If not $1000
I will be claiming the income for sure. I honestly dont want to be associated with the carving as I am not a fan of it. I like the artist normally but this was not one of their better pieces IMO.

Well tomorrow is the first farmers market of the year. Knee has put me way behind on carving fortunately having 3 weeks of spring in February I carved some generic shit I forgot about till today. Next week I need to bust out a turtle or 2 before the doc tells me I cant injure me knee anymore. Have my first orthopedic appointment next Thursday. So hopefully I can block out w few turtles and maybe finish another bear. Also want to try and get a few owl in logs carved and then try and do something like this I saw on a RyanCookCarvin video on YT
C5BF887C-20F6-4E00-B274-917439B777B0.png

Good start to the year got the skunk off right away. Sold a few small dollar items and medium ticket item. Considering it was raining and the first one it was a solid start. Also met another carver that has some legit real skills. We talked for a bit and he is going to set up a time where I can go to his place and learn so stuff:smokin:

Got home and felt like carving. Am a bit rusty and had to walk away from 2 block outs before I ruined them. Fucking saw started leaking fuel from the impulse line. Going by a saw shop tomorrow so I will probably get new parts there and also buy another saw if he has one in stock. Wanting a ms170 for my dime tip bar and put an 18” bar back on my ms250.
68F04087-8429-42B0-A725-B26A132191CE.jpeg

ETA: got an email from the loggers jubilee wanting to know if I would be interested in carving a Big project for them this year. With my knee all fucked up I had to decline but it’s cool as fuck to know someone told them about me and thought I may be worthy of doing something for a big yearly event. :smokin:

Are you doing enough to go full time at this whittling thing?
Full time artist:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Not really. It would take a lifestyle change. I feel if I carved my ass off and ran the carving show circuit I could do ok but I still have a ton to learn. Just locally I think I would max out around 3500-4000/month gross during the summer months. Honestly not sure on winter months. A buddy who I set up next to at the farmers market and I are talking about setting up across the street from the tourist bar during busy times. Friday and Saturdays mostly year round. Drunks will throw cash at cool shit. That should push my to where I would need to be ish and help with the problem of summer months only. We are a hell of a ski town.

I think I'm close and a lot of people are telling my I need to run the carving show circuit. Thinking maybe next summer I give it a trial run. Washington, Oregon and Idaho fairs and carving competitions. Doubt I would even place but feel I would sell a ton of small shit while I make sawdust at the show. If I get my bears quicker just get more rounded in the animals area I think I may try and give it a go.

I figure if I can dial in some big items. Bears, bigfoot, elk/deer I could sell enough big ticket items to make it probably work

What happened to your knee ?

Make contact with a chain saw ?

What happened to your knee ?

Make contact with a chain saw ?
Tore my inner meniscus and the tear is lodged in the joint. Found out I have been missing my ACL in the same knee for 20ish years give or take.

Roughed out one of my commission pieces. Going to hang on his cabin entryway hall. Should be able to have it ready for finish hopefully Wednesday.
IMG_8673.jpeg

Also plan on making several Go Away/Welcome signs for individual sale. Also going to see if I can knock out a few squatch silhouettes framed like the trees. Also need to carve 2 owls minimum for the weekend. Apparently I am getting requests through my fuck face page.

Tore my inner meniscus and the tear is lodged in the joint. Found out I have been missing my ACL in the same knee for 20ish years give or take.
If it helps
I had a whole bunch done to my knee replacing most of everything. The actual anxiety going into the surgery was worse than the actual surgery

If it helps
I had a whole bunch done to my knee replacing most of everything. The actual anxiety going into the surgery was worse than the actual surgery
Im just fixing the meniscus. The ACL hasn’t been in play for 20ish years and making one from a hamstring will definitely tighten up the knee and more than likely contribute to arthritis. Besides being laid up for 4-8 months. I have been snowboarding, hiking, hunting and working out without and ACL forever. Why change that unless its needed. A full knee replacement actually has a faster recovery time than making a new ACL. I will wait till I fuck it up enough and then just get a new knee. :lmao:

Top Back Refresh