What's new

The skid steer thread

I probably just ruined our chance of getting any snow this year.
It is unusual for me to get something done before I need it.
SS snowblower.jpg

A buddy has a Takeuchi 140 he bought used last year. Been using it a bit and really like it vs my tractor with FEL. Kicking around buying a CTL in a year or so when the housing market corrects and all the one man show dirt contractors are out of work and selling off equipment. I would prefer a 9-10k machine, tracks, cab would be nice and not clapped the fuck out. Would be used personally on acreage at Dad's (mine when he passes) clearing fencerows, sprouts and general dirt work around there. Prefer to keep the bill under 25k if possible but with inflation it might be more like $35k in couple years. I have used my buddy's and I am not sure what controls his has but it's two joy sticks left controlling L/R/F/R and right controlling bucket movement. I don't really want foot controls so what type of controls should I be looking for when searching FBMP and online ads?

A buddy has a Takeuchi 140 he bought used last year. Been using it a bit and really like it vs my tractor with FEL. Kicking around buying a CTL in a year or so when the housing market corrects and all the one man show dirt contractors are out of work and selling off equipment. I would prefer a 9-10k machine, tracks, cab would be nice and not clapped the fuck out. Would be used personally on acreage at Dad's (mine when he passes) clearing fencerows, sprouts and general dirt work around there. Prefer to keep the bill under 25k if possible but with inflation it might be more like $35k in couple years. I have used my buddy's and I am not sure what controls his has but it's two joy sticks left controlling L/R/F/R and right controlling bucket movement. I don't really want foot controls so what type of controls should I be looking for when searching FBMP and online ads?
Never gonna leave the property? Get a big ol' piece of iron.

it's possible it will be used other places as well. so need to be able to move it behind a 3/4t truck.

Ive been looking for a low hours (under 2000) 2012 or earlier (pre emissions) bobcat t870 for a few years now. Imo its the best machine you can buy for 30k if you dont plan on hauling it every day. If I remember correctly its about 12000lbs, 100hp, but is to wide to fit between the fenders of a regular trailer.

Anyhow might be a decent machine for you to look into. To big and to old for the everyday contractor but still small enough to drag around if you have to.

Ive been looking for a low hours (under 2000) 2012 or earlier (pre emissions) bobcat t870 for a few years now. Imo its the best machine you can buy for 30k if you dont plan on hauling it every day. If I remember correctly its about 12000lbs, 100hp, but is to wide to fit between the fenders of a regular trailer.

Anyhow might be a decent machine for you to look into. To big and to old for the everyday contractor but still small enough to drag around if you have to.
according to this that's a 13k machine and Tier 4 diesel?

I bought an ASV SR80 that has everything you are looking for if you can find one at the right price. I have been happy with it so far.
It weighs about 9k.

I have used my buddy's and I am not sure what controls his has but it's two joy sticks left controlling L/R/F/R and right controlling bucket movement. I don't really want foot controls so what type of controls should I be looking for when searching FBMP and online ads?

ISO or H controls. ISO is the 2 joysticks and H is the 2 sticks and foot pedals. I like iso as I have short legs.

I bought an ASV SR80 that has everything you are looking for if you can find one at the right price. I have been happy with it so far.
It weighs about 9k.

ASV seems to have a huge following. Almost cult-like in certain circles.

And in other circles, they seem to be hated as POS’s.

289C or 299C CAT if you are looking at the 100+hp class. No emissions bullshit, mechanical engine with electronic controls (preferred IMO).
Best engine ever made for a skid steer in those, CAT 3044 or Mitsubishi S4S, fucking awesome engines, small block chevy type reliability ease of maintenance.

ASV seems to have a huge following. Almost cult-like in certain circles.

And in other circles, they seem to be hated as POS’s.
My feet hurt if I do a bunch of time in hand/foot control. I spent 7-8 hours a few days ago moving logs and grading the lot. Could barely walk the next morning.

Also a bit harder to use with winter boots.

I do like it wayyy better to "feel" the machine.
Probably hydraulic pilot controls are similar but the electric pilot im not abuse fan of. Feels like there's delay, delay, delay and then huge movement.
Probably not all like that though.

My feet hurt if I do a bunch of time in hand/foot control. I spent 7-8 hours a few days ago moving logs and grading the lot. Could barely walk the next morning.

Also a bit harder to use with winter boots.

I do like it wayyy better to "feel" the machine.
Probably hydraulic pilot controls are similar but the electric pilot im not abuse fan of. Feels like there's delay, delay, delay and then huge movement.
Probably not all like that though.
The CAT is adjustable controls from slow,normal,fast. Some operators still complain fast isn't fast enough but it is at least as fast as pilot controls.
If you don't have the color display you have to change the response setting in in the computer with CAT ET, but if you have the color display you can change it like a radio station and even set up different operators with specific settings.

The CAT is adjustable controls from slow,normal,fast. Some operators still complain fast isn't fast enough but it is at least as fast as pilot controls.
If you don't have the color display you have to change the response setting in in the computer with CAT ET, but if you have the color display you can change it like a radio station and even set up different operators with specific settings.
I've never run a CAT. The 2 Case machines we had allegedly the dealer could adjust but everytime it went it, it got worse so we gave up. TR270 and 370

Have run Bobcat, Takeacoochie, Deere, Case, Kubota. All have their pros and cons.

We have both cat and deere in town. Starting to see alot of Doosan stuff on jobs. The few that I ran werent a bad machine
So it looks like Doosan has rebranded in North America to Develon. I climbed all over a bunch of their stuff at a field days event yesterday and it was decent. The machine is a little cleaner built than the Yanmar stuff that was near it, but it still wasn't as nice as the 306 Cat that was in the line either. I know Doosan bought Bobcat years ago and just recently broke off to be Doosan Bobcat and now they are just Bobcat again... but still part of that Doosan Heavy group.

Well, according to the salesman, Doosan is stepping back into the North American line again with a cheaper line of machines that are built alongside the Bobcat stuff - Develon. They don't have any skids out yet but the salesman said they are in the works. The most interesting thing though is it appears Hyundai runs it all...

Will be interesting to see how the Develon machines hold up and if they are just a different colored Bobcat.

Don't know if they frequently have sales but weld on cuttings edges are mostly 10-30% off depending on size and thickness. Stacks with 10% off when signing up for their news letter.

Ordered 2 66" 1/2 blades for a future project for $250 shipped, had them in 2 days.

I used $25 length of 1/2" thick mild steel on a clapped out bucket 10 years ago. It's still in decent shape.

Figured I could change it out 10+ times before coming near the cost of a "real" cutting edge.

Don't know if they frequently have sales but weld on cuttings edges are mostly 10-30% off depending on size and thickness. Stacks with 10% off when signing up for their news letter.

Ok, what am I missing?

From their website:
The bar comes unpainted so you can weld it and get started immediately—just bolt on after drilling your custom holes and begin enjoying the unparalleled carbon steel craftsmanship.

Yeah. I get that you can bolt it on or weld it on, but they make it sound like you weld it on by drilling holes and bolting it... :homer:

Our parts/marketing guy just left, but some of the stuff he wrote you about had a brain aneurysm trying to decipher WTF he was trying to say.

I probably just ruined our chance of getting any snow this year.
It is unusual for me to get something done before I need it.
SS snowblower.jpg

How do you like that thing now that we got some snow?

I'm still using the regular bucket with high sides and rubber flaps at work. It works well for what we do with it (small parking lots, side walks and back dragging in between cars) I'd like to try a snow blower, but they're not cheap and I'm not sure it would be a huge advantage for us, so I haven't tried to talk the boss into yet :laughing:

Small update for the jcb:

It's still a still a pos as far as fit and finish, knobs fall off, doors pop open, screen occasionally stays black, ect :homer:

I also noticed the little knob in the front that the boom engages to when it's on the ground is almost worn through at 150 hours... :homer:

IMG_20240108_172310_02.jpg
IMG_20240108_172310_01.jpg

We also rented a deere 330g because 1 skid steer wasn't enough for our snow contracts. It's the biggest wheeled machine I've ever been around, tires are a true 37" tall :laughing:

So far the wheels have been soooo much better for snow, less sliding but mostly 13 mph vs 7 mph.

Over all it seems decent. Although I feel like they tried to make as many blind spots as possible. When back dragging, the arms are directly blocking your view unless you lift the front about a foot off the ground. The the pivot point is right in the way if trying to look at 5 and 7 o'clock. Also, it's a 1st world problem, but the back up camera is a joke, points at the ground and the screen is literally smaller than a cell phone. :laughing:

I do REALLY like how deere did the engine compartment, it's basically like a wheel loader or even better for access. Top opens like a car hood, then you can slide the side panels out the back. If you need to get to the front area, the cab lifts up on struts if you take 2 bolts off.

The other gripe I have is that it takes def, which sucks because it's the same class machine as the jcb (10k lbs) but has like 8 more hp, putting it over 75hp. What's annoying is that it only lasts about 2 tanks. But what's really fucking retarded is it won't even take a whole jug.

So I'm out plowing snow, buy a jug, dump half in and now what? I have to keep half a jug of def in the tiny cab with me? :homer::shaking:

Did you have the DEF freeze and have the machine go into limp mode and not go off of idle. Our 333g is doing that. Gotta call the deal for a forced Regen and reset. Last time the fawkers charged $1500. :mad3:

Other than that, I love it. Mostly because I am not the one paying for it :homer:

Did you have the DEF freeze and have the machine go into limp mode and not go off of idle. Our 333g is doing that. Gotta call the deal for a forced Regen and reset. Last time the fawkers charged $1500. :mad3:

Other than that, I love it. Mostly because I am not the one paying for it :homer:

No, we got it like 2 days ago, after the hard freeze. Our loader froze that cold day and started but wouldn't move or lift the bucket. Letting sit and warm all the way up to 15* did the trick :laughing:

Have you ran many other brands? I feel like the hydraulic pump is loud as shit on this thing for literally brand new. Never noticed that on any other brands.

I think a lot of guys go for the biggest baddest skid steer, which comes with def. Most would probably be fine with a few sizes down. My buddy is thinking about selling his 2017 299 cat and dropping to a 259 or 279 (8k and 9k lbs)

The big ones are nice for moving huge logs or big HP for masticating, but general dirt and snow removal, there isn't much benifit.

1000001902.jpg

Got to do a bit of plowing the past few weeks. It's nice. Doesn't have the push power I'm used to with the wheel loader but its certainly more comfortable to spend the time doing a good job. I got a set of chains for it coming and ordered a pallet fork attachment too.

1000001902.jpg

Got to do a bit of plowing the past few weeks. It's nice. Doesn't have the push power I'm used to with the wheel loader but its certainly more comfortable to spend the time doing a good job. I got a set of chains for it coming and ordered a pallet fork attachment too.

I thought about chains, but my buddy was saying they can be pretty rough without tons of cross links. So far in about 24 hours of plowing I haven't wanted for them. Although we do mostly flatish stuff and it's been cold so pretty grippy.

No, we got it like 2 days ago, after the hard freeze. Our loader froze that cold day and started but wouldn't move or lift the bucket. Letting sit and warm all the way up to 15* did the trick :laughing:

Have you ran many other brands? I feel like the hydraulic pump is loud as shit on this thing for literally brand new. Never noticed that on any other brands.

Not really. I used a cat 262 a few years ago. Good machine, but like every other cat, no foot/leg room. My legs cramp like crazy if I can't move them around.

We did test out a cat 299. Slower than the deere 333. And same foot/leg room problem.

I have a New Holland L555, but it's old as dirt and doesn't count :lmao:

I thought about chains, but my buddy was saying they can be pretty rough without tons of cross links. So far in about 24 hours of plowing I haven't wanted for them. Although we do mostly flatish stuff and it's been cold so pretty grippy.

I ordered the ones with 2 link spacing. Hopefully it's not too bad.

First storm was 1' of heavy wet snow. I tried doing what I do with the w7 and just plow down the hill with a giant pile up front. Didn't get far before it stuck, then spent the next 3 hrs sliding around taking little bites with a regular bucket to finish. Definitely chains needed for the wet stuff on my hill, dry snow it does ok.

Not really. I used a cat 262 a few years ago. Good machine, but like every other cat, no foot/leg room. My legs cramp like crazy if I can't move them around.

We did test out a cat 299. Slower than the deere 333. And same foot/leg room problem.

I have a New Holland L555, but it's old as dirt and doesn't count :lmao:

The last deere I ran was smaller and I want to say was as small or smaller than the cat. This 330 I assume is just a wheeled version of the 333 and yes, it's pretty roomy, I like the little tray under your knees to set things in. The jcb is also roomy, maybe even more so over all, but no where to put much, so my coffee cup ends up all muddy from rolling around on the floor :laughing:

Top Back Refresh