What's new

The skid steer thread

YotaAtieToo

Thick skull
Member Number
Loc
Bonners Ferry, ID
Thought it might be fun and slightly informative to have a general thread about skid steers (or ctl's for the nerds:flipoff2:) I've ran a decent variety, but am always curious about what others experience is. My experience is basically just seat experience, not as much working on them or sourcing parts.

I've most ran Cat, Lot of 259, 279, 289 and 299s. Plus 2 different 257's (has the asv style tracks. Type of work was either moving and or grading rock/or dirt, moving brush or large logs, and even some demo.

Out of all the ones I've ran or been on site with, I've seen very little break downs or issues. I like that you can use set the hand throttle to 100% and the pedal becomes a decelerator. The rear viability is pretty bad, especially in the bigger ones, but almost all of them have back up cameras which I haven't seen on another brand. Most any of the newish ones also have a heated seat, open or closed cab, which is nice.

Side viability is decent, unless the bucket is raised about 3'. With dirt or rock, you can easily keep it lower, but with brush, keeping it low creates a ton of dust and sometimes a limb will find its way under the track.

The 2X9 cats ride decent as the do have some suspension. The 289 and 299 have the feature that floats the bucket at speed, which makes them ride even better. The 2X7 machines ride like a fucking dream, much better than you would expect.

Another down side is the swing out door. The boom has to be fully lowered or fully raised for it to open. Can make random tasks like unloading an axle off a trailer with no help a huge pain in the ass.

Cat seems to have the most nannys to make happy just to get it started. You have to be in the seat, flip the bars down, turn the key on for a second, then turn it over. Once it's running, you only need to turn off the parking brake, but starting is annoying, especially when you are trying to warm it up for a bit while doing something else.

Overall, I think they are hard to beat, especially when you factor in their parts network.

The next most common machine I've ran is bobcat. A friend has a 2012 t770 that was used for brush clearing and mulching. It's pretty best up, but has not been very reliable. He had lots of issues, ranging from joystick problems, final drives and now it keeps eating lift pumps.

I worked for a company who had 4 new bobcat t750s on rent for large tree clean up. These were so unreliable that they had an extra one to swap out when one would go down. Mostly just electronic and sensor type issues, with a few of the bobcat brand grapples cracking. They also liked to eat front windows. Even if you just hit a bump wrong. I broke 3 in a few months, where 10 times the hours on cars and zero broken windows. :homer: a friend of mine had similar issues with a new bobcat mini. They put the side windows on the OUTSIDE of the metal grate, vs inside like everyone else, so those are much more venerable also.

I would absolutely avoid new Bobcats personally. They sold out to Doosan ~10 years ago, and seem to be plagued with issues since.

I've only been in one deere and it was a larger wheeled machine. We were just using it to move spoils from a large drill. The few things I noticed that was much different than the cat was that it was really loud inside for being basically new and the arms sat higher and caused a huge blind spot when carrying the bucket at the typical ~1' off the ground. The foot well also seemed cramped compared to others. The last thing I noticed was that the area where the bucket release hydraulics were was a very poor design. Rocks would get trapped in there and cause things to get smashed. This can happen in the cat, but for the most part, if you just tip the bucket down, the space opens up and the rock falls out. I tried this on the deere and it just wedged it more, then I couldn't roll the bucket back, meaning I couldn't set it flat, meaning I couldn't get out to remove the rock :homer:

Spent a little time in a tl8 and tl12 takahuchi. Small owner operators seem to love these guys as they claim to be super reliable.

Coming from other equipment, the controls are TERRIBLE. Very cheap and loose feeling. Then the put the arms rests too high and you end up holding them more like a shift knob.

The tl8 was miserable on dry pavement. You could NOT turn with out it hopping really bad, I have never experienced that any other tracked machine. The tl12 did not seem to do that. Maybe it's massive 12k+ lb wieght helped :laughing:

Speaking of size, holy shit is that a big machine. The cab feels twice the size of most machines. They were also smart enough to keep it under 83" track width, unlike the large from bobcat t870 that requires a deck over trailer to haul. :homer:

Both tak's ride very rough due to zero movement in the tracks.

One benefit is that they use a front door similar to an excavator. Slides up over your head. This means that you can open it no matter where the bucket is. Also means you can leave it open if you are getting in and out a lot.

I've moved and sat in a few kubota's. They share the same rigid tracks and door style as the takahuchi. I also am a believer in kubota reliability. We run thier mini's at work with realy good reliability.

The machine that made me start this thread.

20221118_143423.jpg

My boss rented this for snow removal this year.

Obviously, the boom and cab design is completely different. I believe volvo is the only other manufacturer with a similar style. Right off the bat, I'm a huge fan. Getting in and out is so much easier than any machine. I've had a few slips and many close calls climbing over muddy, wet, icy, buckets or attachments. The bucket disconnect is hydraulic standard (most other brands are manual standard) and is fully enclosed to eliminate the issue I mentioned with rocks on the deere.

Once your inside increased foot room and viability are very noticeable. I think this will be very useful getting snow out of tight places.

I only moved it about 100 yds total, but it did seem a little jerky at full rpm. Which must be a common thing because the salesman told me "just turn it down half way" :homer:

As far as the single boom, I'm not sure how to feel about it. Your knee jerk reaction is to think it can't be as strong. Especially if you get a lot of wieght off one side. Which is common when moving logs. But in reality, I don't think this would be a good forestry machine with all those exposed windows anyway.

I also keep thinking about how all excavators, telehandlers and many other things have a single boom that works just fine.

Speaking of telehandlers, this is the teliskid version! I've seen them before and was always curious about them. So kinda excited to see if it's actually useful or not.

Also, just for all the people who think wierd multiuse equipment is actually useful. They had one of these retarded machines there :flipoff2:

20221118_123506.jpg

Last edited:
Thought it might be fun and slightly informative to have a general thread about skid steers (or ctl's for the nerds:flipoff2:) I
^ I think this was for me.. :grinpimp::beer:

The CAT stuff indeed rides way better than the other brands out there. However, all those extra moving parts makes the cost of undercarriage replacement a bit higher, so if you're a typical one of us guys buying a used CAT, avoid anything that has undercarriage condition under 75% because its gonna be 'spensive to fix (in comparison to the unpleasant riding other machines). CAT seems to be the GM Truck of the skid steer world. They make it ride nice, theres a lot of innovation and changes, as well as modular ideas with tons of parts availability.

Bobcat indeed is not what they were in the late '90s to early 2000s. I think the Great Recession and its impact on the residential and landscape industries took a lot of wind out of their sales which forced them to regroup and change resources (get in bed with Doosan) to become more of a global market player. I've had a T190 for a few years now, and been through the hydralics on it, replaced drives, and pumps, etc. Most of the damage to my machine was caused by ignorant mechanics and the previous owner. However, I have run other brands of machines, (mostly Deere and Tak) and the Bobcat feels like a Gen 1 Dodge to me. Its got someone elses reliable engine (Kubota) and the frame and chassis system is durable and function well, but the fit and finish is lacking, the planning for service is lacking, and a lot of things seem like an afterthought.. but damnit, she gonna start and run!. A lot of folks seem to complain about a lack of parts for the Bobcat stuff and it seems that its become more of a problem the past two years post Covid. They're slowly abandoning the support of the early 2k machines and even up to about 2013. Anything older than that yet, is even more of a laugh to open the parts book. I've got a '94 X331 Mini and the entire parts list is just NLA with a middle finger. The thing about the late 90's and early 2k Bobcat stuff, is that they were still using industry common parts, seals, fittings, etc. so most things can be sourced through some other venue to make the repairs. I've been piecing together cylinder kits just on spec dimensions and its way easier than sourcing through Bobcat.

Deere stuff... they are so consistently inconsistent, that its predictable. In true Deere fashion, they are all over the place with their quality control and engineering but you will certainly have access to parts, but at a cost. Deere still wants to be the industry Cadlillac and they do have very well engineered hydraulic controls, from my experience and seem to have better feedback and loadsensing on the newer machines. (Ive only a few hours in two of their newer RT Skids and a few hours in a newer 724K loader. They are certainly operator friendly because I had the GF running around in the 724K after giving her about a 3 minute lesson; and that was with a set of 15' salvage forks on it.

Tak - I have a few contractor friends who swear by these machines. I've only run the older TL130s and TL150s and will validate the the joysticks seemed a little "vague" at times. However, I did get to unload a friend's newer TL12V2 earlier this year and holy shit that thing is a TANK. I think the rear view camera on it might be more clear than whats in my '20 model truck.

So, my dad is actually a Kubota and Wacker Neuson dealer these days, which makes for fun banter since I have Bobcat machines at the moment. He was telling me to wait out on buying anything Kubota for a year or two because they are going through some restructuring regarding their North American sold products. As for the WN stuff, they seem really easy to service in comparison to some of the other brands and the machines he has on the lot right now are powered by Kohler Diesels. I've got my eyes on maybe a WN mini in another 2 years or so.

AlxJ64 - any experience with Kubota?
I almost bought an SV series for the "non-electric-over-hydraulic" hand controls. Going from 90's 773 to the Deere 317g has been an exercise in getting used to the disconnected feeling of the electric over hydraulic controls.

I almost bought an SV series for the "non-electric-over-hydraulic" hand controls. Going from 90's 773 to the Deere 317g has been an exercise in getting used to the disconnected feeling of the electric over hydraulic controls.

My neighbor has a 2022 SSV 75, Bought it last winter.

He uses the hell out of it, and I am allowed to borrow it when needed, was a very easy machine for me to jump in and feel comfortable with. Only issue he has had was a stuck hydraulic valve on the quick attachment hydraulic cct. Fixed under warranty.

nice thread, have JD at work. A 317 and a 320D that I helped purchase, wheeled. Bobcat support was horrible 10 years ago and still a bit scared of them.

317 is an okay machine but older, hand controls only. Bit rough but it works well enough

320D is a bigger machine compared to the 317, I like it better with the electric joystick controls. The glass exit is more of an issue as mentioned above as it goes out. And the arms do block alot of the view when they are up about 2-3'. Like if forking out of the back of a normal truck bed it's pretty hard to see.

I like the single boom tele-skid idea, Manitou has a few smaller machines that are a spin off of the tele-steers.

I have minimal experience with the Kubota Skid steers; and a touch of experience with the Mini ex and my experience differs to what a few other friends who are underground utility contractors say.

The skid steer experience was just running a rental unit for a day, I think it was an SV or SVL 75. I just looked it up, and yea it was a 75. It was okay but seemed weak to cut with then again I was the "operator" for a friend's father in-laws driveway project. One of those "I'ma rent a machine on Friday and have it picked up on Monday and cut and grade my extra parking spot even though I've never run a skid in my life". So the Son in law got the call, and he ended up calling me.
The machine felt like it was between a Deere and a Tak regarding control feeling and I didn't hate it but I am just not a Kubota equipment guy... and its mostly because of the background I grew up in.. Kubota was for landscapers, and that was it. Seeing it as rental units at Home Depot somewhat reinforces that mindset too. Some guys LOVE them, and the machines have great ratings and seem to perform well.
As for the servo hydraulic controls... I am not a fan of them for an older machine, but something newer than 2015 or so, it seems the durability and reliability has improved. Family friend just had a joystick replaced in his 2005 Bobcat T300 and the dealer charged a recalibration fee, on site service, etc etc. Cost him close to an extra $1k over the price of the parts.

I can see what you're saying about the kubota's being a "landscapers machine" the mini's are very popular around here as it's the only dealer for quite a while. They seem decent, but not on the cat or deere(Hitachi :flipoff2:) level of mini. A little slower and a little weaker, more rattles, ect.

Also, every time I have to try and dig a vertical wall on the opposite side of me, I cuss the stupid thing as the bucket doesn't roll back for shit. You end up so far away from the hole that you often can't see, and have no reach going down, so you have to track up as you're trying to cut down :homer:

Edit: I should add, they seem very reliable though. They would be high on my list if I were to buy a machine for personal use.

Last edited:
I have minimal experience with the Kubota Skid steers; and a touch of experience with the Mini ex and my experience differs to what a few other friends who are underground utility contractors say.

The skid steer experience was just running a rental unit for a day, I think it was an SV or SVL 75. I just looked it up, and yea it was a 75. It was okay but seemed weak to cut with then again I was the "operator" for a friend's father in-laws driveway project. One of those "I'ma rent a machine on Friday and have it picked up on Monday and cut and grade my extra parking spot even though I've never run a skid in my life". So the Son in law got the call, and he ended up calling me.
The machine felt like it was between a Deere and a Tak regarding control feeling and I didn't hate it but I am just not a Kubota equipment guy... and its mostly because of the background I grew up in.. Kubota was for landscapers, and that was it. Seeing it as rental units at Home Depot somewhat reinforces that mindset too. Some guys LOVE them, and the machines have great ratings and seem to perform well.
As for the servo hydraulic controls... I am not a fan of them for an older machine, but something newer than 2015 or so, it seems the durability and reliability has improved. Family friend just had a joystick replaced in his 2005 Bobcat T300 and the dealer charged a recalibration fee, on site service, etc etc. Cost him close to an extra $1k over the price of the parts.
Thx.
I have a 317G and a 27d... coming from a 773 w/ 709 backhoe attachment.

I miss the responsiveness of the 773, and I think it offered a bit more power because of the more "direct" interaction w/ the hydraulics. I do NOT hate working on it nor do I miss using it on hills. The transverse engine mounting in the bobcats made some service horrible.... and I have yet to roll the 317... I do wish the 317 had the electric quicktach, 2-speed and a cab... but otherwise, much better machine than the 20 year old unit it replaced.

I've had a svl95 2s kubota for about 6 months. Not a professional by any means but I like it. Controls seem sluggish when you first fire it up. It's almost like the machine has to get used to the way you are running it. Went from a 95 853 bobcat to this kubota so it's definitely a big difference.

Something I thought of is the "modes" in the 320D don't seem to change anything that I can tell of. Crawl, productivity, etc modes.

I've had a svl95 2s kubota for about 6 months. Not a professional by any means but I like it. Controls seem sluggish when you first fire it up. It's almost like the machine has to get used to the way you are running it. Went from a 95 853 bobcat to this kubota so it's definitely a big difference.
Hey mister 853 bobcat!

How do you actuate the auxiliary functions?

I ran new Holland's when I was a teenager for residential subdivision development. It was a blast, def fucked off a bit while also working with that thing. Loved riding a wheelie in it. I think they were 185s..maybe 195? Didn't run tracks. 20 yrs ago tho. Used my buddies bobcat recently old auction unit couldn't tell ya the size...but enjoyed that too. Different than the new holland but ehh. Sorry not much to offer but the new holland was solid and skid steers are fun anyway.

We demo'd a cat 299. It was a decent machine, but our Deere 333D was 50% more productive. Deere was smoother riding and smoother in the controls.

The 333D & 333E have more leg width area than the cat. Being a taller person, it is a huge deal. With the cat, my legs would be cramped within and hour or so.

The 333E got lower arms for better side visibility and also got a backup camera.

We demo'd a cat 299. It was a decent machine, but our Deere 333D was 50% more productive. Deere was smoother riding and smoother in the controls.

The 333D & 333E have more leg width area than the cat. Being a taller person, it is a huge deal. With the cat, my legs would be cramped within and hour or so.

The 333E got lower arms for better side visibility and also got a backup camera.

50% more productive is a pretty tall claim for comparable machines.....

I ran the deere and cat back to back and didn't think the leg room was better, maybe worse actually? Is the 333 a large frame machine like the tl12 and t870 bobcat? If so, I could maybe see the extra production.

How is your experience with deere parts and service? I'm guessing you go to spokane Pape?

I wouldn't buy a deere just for how terrible they are with parts and service in my experience.

Deere service has been absolute dog shit. They promise the best service when trying to sell you the machine, but when you need actual warranty work, it's like pulling teeth to get anything done.

They also charge labor on warranty work. I guess the warranty only covers parts :shaking:

The 50g excavator has the worst HVAC system. The main unit fills with dirt (even with filters in place and cleaned daily) and won't flow. You have to vac out the A/C and disassemble the whole thing to clean it out and then they send you a bill for $1600 after they said it was covered in the warranty.

Deere service has been absolute dog shit. They promise the best service when trying to sell you the machine, but when you need actual warranty work, it's like pulling teeth to get anything done.

They also charge labor on warranty work. I guess the warranty only covers parts :shaking:

The 50g excavator has the worst HVAC system. The main unit fills with dirt (even with filters in place and cleaned daily) and won't flow. You have to vac out the A/C and disassemble the whole thing to clean it out and then they send you a bill for $1600 after they said it was covered in the warranty.

Well dang, I was hoping to hear one success story :laughing:

We have a new 624 loader at work. It's had some little issues, but trying to get them to come up and fix it is like pulling hens teeth. :homer:

Yet you stubborn fuckers keep buying deere :flipoff2:

It's funny too because my boss will bitch and bitch about deere. Then rave about how good cats service is the few times he's used it. But still buys deere :laughing:

^ I think this was for me.. :grinpimp::beer:

The CAT stuff indeed rides way better than the other brands out there. However, all those extra moving parts makes the cost of undercarriage replacement a bit higher, so if you're a typical one of us guys buying a used CAT, avoid anything that has undercarriage condition under 75% because its gonna be 'spensive to fix (in comparison to the unpleasant riding other machines). CAT seems to be the GM Truck of the skid steer world. They make it ride nice, theres a lot of innovation and changes, as well as modular ideas with tons of parts availability.
I can't speak to the others but the CAT I am pretty familiar with...

Undercarriage on the 2x9 models is pretty bulletproof on maintained machines. There are some zerks on the roller frame mount shafts that have to be maintained but if they are it's a non wearing joint for 4k+ hours.
Rollers are oil filled no maintenance, if the seals are good they will be too.

Tracks and sprockets are the wear items and both are easy as hell to change.

The cab door situation sucks ass, that is true. D model and up AC is 1000% improved over B models and early Cs. We don't have complaints on functional HVAC performance.
The D models have the Kubota engines and associated emissions and wiring. The entire setup is bullshit. Tiny 20 ga wire, japanese style connectors and engines that take several hours just to get a valve cover off and that is not due to emissions shit just bad design.

The 2x7 undercarriage (ASV) is really hard to work on, even just changing tracks is extremely difficult even requiring special tools on some models. Fuck all those ASV bastards.

IMO for a home gamer I think a 289C is hard to beat.
It has the superior suspended undercarriage. It has a C3.4T/3044 Mitsubishi/CAT engine that is extremely bad ass, it's like a small block Chevy, 6BT etc. No fancy shit just a rotary fuel pump and pencil injectors and a turbo. First class shit.
But the machine still has more sophisticated controls electro/hydraulic etc.

It's funny too because my boss will bitch and bitch about deere. Then rave about how good cats service is the few times he's used it. But still buys deere :laughing:

I guess that's the price you have to pay to get the best performing machine...

:flipoff2:

Well dang, I was hoping to hear one success story :laughing:

We have a new 624 loader at work. It's had some little issues, but trying to get them to come up and fix it is like pulling hens teeth. :homer:

Service is a crap shoot these days but we have some Impressive stats...
We have 15 dedicated skid steer field trucks operating in North Texas. We have 5 dedicated skid steer shops in North Texas .
Those numbers don't count the 45+ field trucks in North Texas or the 6 full service shops.
We get behind but try to keep skid steer service to same or next day.

I mean the aux hydraulics that are hydraulic quick connect on the boom, like what you'd use for a clam or brush grapple.
How do you control that?
The switch on the control panel activates the switches on the stick. Push once for the rocker switch and twice for the trigger. There should be an indicator light when it is on.

The switch on the control panel activates the switches on the stick. Push once for the rocker switch and twice for the trigger. There should be an indicator light when it is on.
Thanks!

I was hoping it was analog control and not click-click.

4 in 1 Buckets - who likes em, who hates em, someone has even told me its a gimmick / not worth it because its okay at everything but not as good as the attachments it replaces.

I have a lead on a good deal for a brand new in the crate Kubota brand one but its 6" narrower than my machine track width... trying to decide if the price is worth it. I'd mainly be using it for the cleanup / clamshell feature for clean up grading work around my place as I am perpetually increasing my driveway / trailer parking / moving my container and building a barn on it, etc.

4 in 1 Buckets - who likes em, who hates em, someone has even told me its a gimmick / not worth it because its okay at everything but not as good as the attachments it replaces.

I have a lead on a good deal for a brand new in the crate Kubota brand one but its 6" narrower than my machine track width... trying to decide if the price is worth it. I'd mainly be using it for the cleanup / clamshell feature for clean up grading work around my place as I am perpetually increasing my driveway / trailer parking / moving my container and building a barn on it, etc.

I've used them on loaders, backhoes, ect.

They're pretty handy for grabbing the last little turd of dirt or rock on a hard surface.

They're kinda just OK for grabbing stuff. Especially on a smaller machine. There is probably a reason why you don't see them very often on skid steers imo. Assuming you already have a regular bucket, I'd rather have a dedicated grapple. Especially since the 4/1 is too narrow. That makes the "dozer" feature useless.

If you had to have one bucket (kinda like on a backhoe or skip loader) they're sweet, but with the ease of switching them and already having a normal bucket, meh.

Edit: I forgot to add how gay a narrower bucket really is. I knew it would suck, but have wound up in a machine with a bucket narrower than the tracks, and it's horrible. Don't even think about grading. :laughing:

Last edited:
I am here to pick the collective brain on skid steers.
I have been thinking about buying one for a while, and I am not 100% sure what I need.
The major use for it will be snowblowing, so high flow will be just about mandatory, as will an enclosed cab.
The general consensus that I hear is that CTL's suck in the snow, so a machine with tires.
I want something old enough to be mechanically injected, and would prefer a machine with no computer on it.
Is there anything out there that meets all this criteria?

I put screws in my tracks and go where I want now.
Last year was my first with T190. Absolutely sucked in the snow. I had a bunch of screws leftover from a couple metal roofing projects. These are 14x1¼. 1" would be better, but its what was laying around. I even help a buddy with his long, steep driveway on the mountainside (two switchbacks). No problems.
Our nosy neighbors claimed I'd be pulling them out of flat tires all summer. I put about 250 in last year and lost less than 10. We live on a gravel road with dirt driveways. This year Ive only used 100 and could use a few more to hit every pad.
They sell studs, that I'd like to try, but these are practically free.
2004 Bobcat T190. No emissions crap, no high-flow, no enclosed cab. Old school joysticks and foot controls.
It needs pins/bushings and from what I saw doing maintenance a few weeks ago, gonna need a drive motor soon.
It still cost less than half of anything decent I found online and it was local.

4 in 1 Buckets - who likes em, who hates em

I've got one and find it useful. As mentioned, it doesn't work as well as the dedicated options - grapple, bucket, blade - but it saves the expense and space of having all the dedicated options and saves you from changing back and forth on a job where you may be using them together.

but its 6" narrower than my machine track width...

That'd be a pass for me unless it was an exceptional deal - and then it would be a matter of using it to determine how much use it would be to me and looking to upgrade it - and hopefully sell it for enough more to make the trouble worthwhile.

Top Back Refresh