What's new

The skid steer thread

20240212_132545.jpg
20240212_132600.jpg
20240215_124632.jpg

I really want a machine that size. The prices went through the roof over the last few years and are just starting to drop. I remember passing on a 5519 that was in the low 20's. Now you can't touch one under $40k. :shaking:

I'll happily sell my big tractor if I can pick telehandler for about the same money.

We have the same model genie

It's super handy as a forklift and will lift more than you think. But God damn do the controls suck, even just trying to lower a ~700lb air compressor on a pallet the other day it was not smooth.

With a bucket it sucks, I know that's not what it's meant for, but they could have done a better job with the controls. The big telihandlers I've ran were 10x's better.
Most of them really aren't made for any kind of digging....at least not production digging. I've always seen them marketed as more for doing things like mucking out stalls or scooping mulch or shavings. Most of them seem to be marketed to farmers as agg machines.

My main use would be for lifting logs on the sawmill or throwing a grapple on it to shuttle brush around the property. I'd get a bucket, but wouldn't expect much out of it.

I've always been curious if the aux. hydraulics would hold up to a brush cutter. On paper, they have the flow, but not sure if they have enough cooling to run one for very long. Seem like it'd be handy for cleaning up around the edges of fields and roads.

I really want a machine that size. The prices went through the roof over the last few years and are just starting to drop. I remember passing on a 5519 that was in the low 20's. Now you can't touch one under $40k. :shaking:

I'll happily sell my big tractor if I can pick telehandler for about the same money.

Most of them really aren't made for any kind of digging....at least not production digging. I've always seen them marketed as more for doing things like mucking out stalls or scooping mulch or shavings. Most of them seem to be marketed to farmers as agg machines.

My main use would be for lifting logs on the sawmill or throwing a grapple on it to shuttle brush around the property. I'd get a bucket, but wouldn't expect much out of it.

I've always been curious if the aux. hydraulics would hold up to a brush cutter. On paper, they have the flow, but not sure if they have enough cooling to run one for very long. Seem like it'd be handy for cleaning up around the edges of fields and roads.

Sounds like a perfect situation for a skid steer :laughing:

Sounds like a perfect situation for a skid steer :laughing:

They don't have the capacity or reach. You're well in to the $80k range to get a skid that will lift 5000lbs or better. Clapped out used machines are hard to come by and still run $40k in that size.

They don't have the capacity or reach. You're well in to the $80k range to get a skid that will lift 5000lbs or better. Clapped out used machines are hard to come by and still run $40k in that size.
I think I'm going to build a mini telehandler on tracks. Going to bring over some track frames from the orient to start with.

I think I'm going to build a mini telehandler on tracks. Going to bring over some track frames from the orient to start with.

Yes. Do it. :smokin:

I like the little JCB telescopic skids, but they're too small to justify the cost for my use. In the right environment, they seem like the perfect combo of skid and telehandler.

Yes. Do it. :smokin:

I like the little JCB telescopic skids, but they're too small to justify the cost for my use. In the right environment, they seem like the perfect combo of skid and telehandler.
10k capacity. Electric powered so I can use it in the plants I service.

If I do I'm going to design for production and may make a few.

Xfaxman on TBN has a Bobcat V417 that they use a hydraulic brush hog on: Compact telehandler and have been very happy with it.
They use it for most everything they used to use a compact tractor for.

Aaron Z

The standard are you on crack price...

$50k for a 5100hr beat up S250, couple attachments, and a trailer.

Realistic price, maybe 25-30k.

I have that same exact machine, bought it in 2013 with ~2500hrs for $22k

Xfaxman on TBN has a Bobcat V417 that they use a hydraulic brush hog on: Compact telehandler and have been very happy with it.
They use it for most everything they used to use a compact tractor for.

Aaron Z

Yep, that would be perfect for me....but the prices are still insane. None even currently for sale in the US on machinery trader but the recent ones sold were in the $40k range for 2012-2015 models.

Sound like they might be in my price range in 5 years or so. :laughing:

our is supposed to run hydro snow machines pretty easily. It won't do the high flow stuff though. It's super compact and has decent reach and good lift capacity. Had to wait about a 1 year to get it but production is slowly picking up. I love the steering on it but they guys are having a hard time with the 2 rear steer modes.

our is supposed to run hydro snow machines pretty easily. It won't do the high flow stuff though. It's super compact and has decent reach and good lift capacity. Had to wait about a 1 year to get it but production is slowly picking up. I love the steering on it but they guys are having a hard time with the 2 rear steer modes.
Your what?

I decided to run over to the local TigerCat dealership, which also sells Develon (Doosan North America and Europe) and looked at one of their 5 ton mini excavators. It seems they are borrowing frame and chassis design from Bobcat, machine layout from Yanmar, and CATs control systems.

Anyone put any hours on this new line of equipment? Skid steers, excavators, loaders, or dozers? Its still essentially Hyuandai but no longer associated with the Bobcat line. Has a 3 cylinder Doosan non DEF 48 hp engine.
20240219_151947.jpg

Of course I drove the old truck over there to help with making friends. Turns out I might get some side work for the machine shop from their service department.

20240219_151956.jpg

Last edited:
^ What do those retail for? What engine do they have in them?

I just ordered a half dozen 1.5 ton chinese minis. My last order was 1 tons, this time it's 1.5. I figure by this time next year I'll be in the 4 or 5 ton neighborhood. :laughing:

^ What do those retail for? What engine do they have in them?
2.4L Doosan D18 Turbo, non DEF.

The one I spec'd today, with a Thumb, 24" bucket, and pin grabber, with VA Sales tax, was $81k otd. That was for the DX50Z-7 cab machine and full comfort package.

So what do people know about the little gehl skid steers? Looks like I could pick up a 500hr 105 wheeled machine for 15k or less or a tracked equivalent for just under 20

So what do people know about the little gehl skid steers? Looks like I could pick up a 500hr 105 wheeled machine for 15k or less or a tracked equivalent for just under 20
Gehl tracked machines were at one point built by Takeuchi with gehl paint. Different cabs. I have a mustang mtl16 which is the same as a takeuichi tl130 which also crosses over to one of the gehl machines. It’s been a great machine i really have no complaints with it. Bought it with 400 hrs, probably has 3500 on it now. Has a yanmar non turbo 65ish horse. Its a pretty simple rugged machine.

2.4L Doosan D18 Turbo, non DEF.

The one I spec'd today, with a Thumb, 24" bucket, and pin grabber, with VA Sales tax, was $81k otd. That was for the DX50Z-7 cab machine and full comfort package.

How much cheaper than a u55 or 305 is that?

Last I looked, the price difference was no where near enough to make sense.

How much cheaper than a u55 or 305 is that?

Last I looked, the price difference was no where near enough to make sense.
I didn't price the Kubota because I just didn't want one and I didn't price the CAT because I knew where it would have landed, more than I could afford.

What I found and what I did... Virginia has 5.3% sales tax too, so that is in these numbers.

I priced the Develon 5 ton with a thumb and manual aftermarket coupler, 24" toothed bucket, straight blade, diverter valve. - $81k OTD 5 year 5k hr warranty. 0% for 72 mo with 15% down. Cheap money, cheap machine. It was an okay machine but it had some short cuts in overall assembly. Hoses outside of the boom frame, no guards for the blade cylinder, no belly guards, etc.

I looked at a Takeuchi 350R cab with manual coupler, 24" toothed bucket, straight blade, diverter valve, no thumb, $86k before tax $91.7k OTD - 3 year 3k hr warranty. Finance rates were 7% for 60 mo though with 10% down. This made it a $98k machine.

Yanmar Vio 50 standard cab, TAG hydraulic Thumb, Yanmar brand pin grabber, angle blade, 24" tooth bucket, diverter valve - by far the best base price at $72,600 but... finance required 10% down and the rate was 12.9% which made the final price of the machine way higher unless you had the cash up front. After finance it was a $96k machine.

Bobcat E55 Long Arm, Deluxe Cab, with Straight blade, hydraulic thumb, diverter valve, depth check, X-change hydraulic coupler, 24" tooth bucket - 3 yr 3k warranty, $96k OTD with 0.9% for 60 mo. with 15% down - $98k total cost.

Bobcat E48 Long Arm, Deluxe Cab, Angle Blade, X-Change hydraulic coupler, hydraulic thumb, Depth Check, X-change hydraulic coupler, 18" tooth bucket, 3 year 3k hr warranty, $87k OTD with 0.9% for 60 mo - $87.1k total cost with 15% down

John Deere 50P, Long Arm with heavy Counter weight, cab with standard options (Deere is about as bare as the Yanmar, everything, including a radio is an add on), hydraulic thumb, angle blade. - I never got the financing information but was told it would be around 2.9 to 3.9% - I was being offered a better deal than what I can say here but the reasonable price for that machine should be around $103k OTD before finance. But, its a Deere.

I didn't price CAT and I didn't even look at Kubota because I just flat out didn't want one after Dad had sold Kubota for a few years recently.

I bought the Bobcat E48 deluxe cab. It fit my needs for frame size, power size, non DEF, etc. I already caught crap from people saying its the same machine as the Develon and it is absolutely not. Develon is a Hyundai... and they are just buying the same engine from Doosan (who owns Bobcat currently). Its a 1/2 ton chassis size smaller than all the other machines compared, but has specs that are pretty well close to those other units. Its just a personal and family property maintenance machine. YOLO and I wanted one.

20240311_185400.jpg

Top Back Refresh