What's new

The Mountain Bike Thread

New shoes. 👍
3EFBA164-DBAA-44DB-83EB-0CAADC64B104.jpeg
B25B0F19-DDFE-4CD0-A295-6CF28B71AA61.jpeg

About 15 years ago, some local old school riders came up with the idea to ride every MTB trail in Memphis on the same day. According to the story I heard, they doubled down after a few beers and decided to do it by riding from one trail to another on their mountain bikes. The ride became known as One Lap of Memphis.

The route has changed over the years as land ownership has changed, but overall the goal is 100+ miles, every trail system in town, hottest day of the year

15 of us started this exhibition of stupidity, 10 completed it. Temps were 101 and heat index around 108. The fastest rider finished 6hrs 33mins, I was pretty square in the middle of the pack. I was happy that my strategy before and during the ride paid off, but it still ended in a miserable suffer fest for the last 90 minutes.

Would do again :laughing::laughing:

261F0FFF-F8F0-480E-BC37-683BD5328238.png

Horrible bike rack idea... or not?

Taking the family to Mammoth to ride next week. Bringing our motorhome, and towing the wife's little jeep to get us from camp to the mountain. We've got a 2 bike hitch rack and normally that would be chill.. except now we've got kids with real bikes who want to ride. Now I've got fit my son's 20" bike, so I'm thinking I will install some cross bars on the roof and put a roof rack up there.... except apparently it's impossible to get my hands on a roof mounted tray for his bike . Queue the bad idea: I've got some some extra Thule T2 hitch racks lying around. Plan is to pull one of those t2 trays off, steal the brackets they use to clamp them to the hitch rack, and make them fit on two roof mounted cross bars instead. Bad idea? Anyone tried it?

Thinking I could steal two of these brackets and use them on one tray:
1658857867661.png

Taking the family to Mammoth to ride next week. Bringing our motorhome, and towing the wife's little jeep to get us from camp to the mountain. We've got a 2 bike hitch rack and normally that would be chill.. except now we've got kids with real bikes who want to ride. Now I've got fit my son's 20" bike, so I'm thinking I will install some cross bars on the roof and put a roof rack up there.... except apparently it's impossible to get my hands on a roof mounted tray for his bike . Queue the bad idea: I've got some some extra Thule T2 hitch racks lying around. Plan is to pull one of those t2 trays off, steal the brackets they use to clamp them to the hitch rack, and make them fit on two roof mounted cross bars instead. Bad idea? Anyone tried it?

1658857867661.png
Sell all those and get an upright rack that'll take all the bikes

About 15 years ago, some local old school riders came up with the idea to ride every MTB trail in Memphis on the same day. According to the story I heard, they doubled down after a few beers and decided to do it by riding from one trail to another on their mountain bikes. The ride became known as One Lap of Memphis.

The route has changed over the years as land ownership has changed, but overall the goal is 100+ miles, every trail system in town, hottest day of the year

15 of us started this exhibition of stupidity, 10 completed it. Temps were 101 and heat index around 108. The fastest rider finished 6hrs 33mins, I was pretty square in the middle of the pack. I was happy that my strategy before and during the ride paid off, but it still ended in a miserable suffer fest for the last 90 minutes.

261F0FFF-F8F0-480E-BC37-683BD5328238.png

There's a lot of road in there, but damn that is still impressive!

How many bikes?

I've got a 1up tray rack that's great. But I think it will only do 4 bikes.

The uprights will do more than that

What about welding in a front receiver on the motorhome?
3 bikes for now, but a 4 bike rack hanging off the back of a little TJ would be comical, and most of the time not used. If we're not doing the motorhome/dingy thing, we've got a truck with a tailgate pad. When the TJ isn't going on camping trips, it gets used by just the wife and I to go ride local trails, so no 3rd rack needed.

In a prefect world, I'd just go pick up a used thule sidearm and throw it on the roof, except I can't find one local that will get here before this weekend.

3 bikes for now, but a 4 bike rack hanging off the back of a little TJ would be comical, and most of the time not used. If we're not doing the motorhome/dingy thing, we've got a truck with a tailgate pad. When the TJ isn't going on camping trips, it gets used by just the wife and I to go ride local trails, so no 3rd rack needed.

In a prefect world, I'd just go pick up a used thule sidearm and throw it on the roof, except I can't find one local that will get here before this weekend.
1up is a 1 or 2 bike base, with "add-on" portions for spots 3 and 4 that are 2 bolts each to add on or off.

1658857867661.png
I don't know the rack well-enough to know the clamps (and can't see them well in the pic). But, I'd think a little ingenuity will lead to some sort of booty-fabbed solution to hold it to the roof bars, for sure.

1658857867661.png

Nah. Go for it. I did the reverse with some Yakima roof trays years ago. Needed a hitch mount rack but was poor.

It worked until I gave it all away

ah, gotcha. The velocirax are pretty sweet, but a whole lot of extra weight to be hanging off the back of our little TJ.

Would be pretty badass to have their 7 bike version to hang off the back of our motorhome for dedicated mountain bike trips.

Been hitting it hard the past few weeks, pushing to see how far I could get.
This past weekend, it was 10 on Thurs. 10 on Fri. and then 6 hours in the saddle for a big day on Saturday:

nice, did you do loops or was it unique trail?

that is some next level misery. there is a part of me that kinda wants to give it a shot, but the other part reminds me how stupid of a idea it is. one is louder than the other

that is some next level misery. there is a part of me that kinda wants to give it a shot, but the other part reminds me how stupid of a idea it is. one is louder than the other

There were a couple of dudes who set up a little aid station for us at mile 95. They said it was like working a shift in the ER with everyone talking funny and showing up looking like cracked out zombies

Some was unique, much of it was looped.

You could probably do 25-30 miles with only a few connectors looped. It's a big park, 3,500 acres, + the new bike only ride park they just added is probably another 350 acres.

ah, gotcha. The velocirax are pretty sweet, but a whole lot of extra weight to be hanging off the back of our little TJ.

Would be pretty badass to have their 7 bike version to hang off the back of our motorhome for dedicated mountain bike trips.
Can't see it weighing more than 25# more than the Thule

Chased off the hill today, Lightning and thunder and rain only thing I missed was the hail storm. Only made it 5.5 miles. Puddles, not seen much in Las Vegas area.
9A8C29D1-563D-4BD3-80F5-A5989C3D9FA1.jpeg
E463AD52-0E07-4D36-8896-29DA32148980.jpeg
6C169027-7231-4B93-9946-FB05C9BC9ABC.jpeg

no wonder you guys can rack up the miles, that trail is SMOOTH. All the trails I ride in CT are constant roots/rocks/chunk around here unless I hit the fire roads/gravel.

no wonder you guys can rack up the miles, that trail is SMOOTH. All the trails I ride in CT are constant roots/rocks/chunk around here unless I hit the fire roads/gravel.
Ah yes, the ol east coast chunk argument. I had a Taekwondo instructor who once told me "In Taekwondo, we're extremely proud of our kicks. They're the same as everyone else's, but we're proud of them." :flipoff2:

Ah yes, the ol east coast chunk argument. I had a Taekwondo instructor who once told me "In Taekwondo, we're extremely proud of our kicks. They're the same as everyone else's, but we're proud of them." :flipoff2:
I dunno....TKD kicks tend to be higher than my karate ones. And WAY more of them.

Top Back Refresh