What's new

The Moonshine Motel - Enclosed Gooseneck "Crawler Hauler" Build

Use electric winches on each of the jacks to make them powered. You could also then possibly power them separate to help level when parked.

My buddy Nick suggested something very similar, but hydraulic. This company specifically: http://www.thebigfootleveler.com/

I ordered sprockets, chain and pillow blocks just an hour ago. $100 invested. Thanks to aczlan for the surplus center link. I've got a lathe and a mill, so I'll make the hubs and pins needed to make this chain system work, then probably just reuse this current cross-bar for the upper.

In the next week or so, I'll get this area cleaned out and start planning for the genset mounting.

I ordered sprockets, chain and pillow blocks just an hour ago. $100 invested. Thanks to aczlan for the surplus center link. I've got a lathe and a mill, so I'll make the hubs and pins needed to make this chain system work, then probably just reuse this current cross-bar for the upper.

In the next week or so, I'll get this area cleaned out and start planning for the genset mounting.

You'll be glad you decided to go this route, down low between the landing gear will transfer the least amount of vibrations. With proper air baffling and sound deadening that thing will be whisper quiet:smokin:

I am so glad that I could be a bad influence ! I think you’re really going to appreciate keeping that genny. They’re hard to find and very nice ! I think moving the Jack post up is the simplest, and cheapest idea. If you find that you love the generator, then you can switch to individual electric motors, or hydraulics later.

I have been finding some F rated trailer tires, they take 110 psi, and I haven’t blown any yet on my rig. You should definitely look at upgrading to them. I thought that 17.5, or 19.5 were in my future, but these are still Japanese, but seem to be holding great.

And, now you don’t need propane.

Before you add a propane cooktop, go camping a couple times. We rarely ever cook inside. We prep inside and bring everything outside. With a $35 camping grill, we have gone for a long time, and if it gets trashed then it gets thrown in the garbage and by a new one.

Hot water might be an issue. Those electric tanks don’t seem to heat that quickly, but you may find that yours works great.

as far as heat, what about a webasto ?

you could possibly even find a diesel hot water heater, I know they make them for the big RVs that have hydronic heat.

:usa::flipoff2::usa:

I am so glad that I could be a bad influence ! I think you’re really going to appreciate keeping that genny. They’re hard to find and very nice ! I think moving the Jack post up is the simplest, and cheapest idea. If you find that you love the generator, then you can switch to individual electric motors, or hydraulics later.

I have been finding some F rated trailer tires, they take 110 psi, and I haven’t blown any yet on my rig. You should definitely look at upgrading to them. I thought that 17.5, or 19.5 were in my future, but these are still Japanese, but seem to be holding great.

Before you add a propane cooktop, go camping a couple times. We rarely ever cook inside. We prep inside and bring everything outside. With a $35 camping grill, we have gone for a long time, and if it gets trashed then it gets thrown in the garbage and by a new one.

Hot water might be an issue. Those electric tanks don’t seem to heat that quickly, but you may find that yours works great.

you could possibly even find a diesel hot water heater, I know they make them for the big RVs that have hydronic heat.

About time you found this thread :D

Which tires are you running? Brand/size?

I found this product this morning that would do hot water, heat, preheat the genny, and it runs on diesel/shore power. Pricey, but does the work of a few different appliances in one. The 125 model seems about right.

http://www.aquahot.com
https://expressrvshop.com/products/aqua-hot-125d

​​​​​​I assume you still use propane for your camping grill?

Got the new genny compartment cleared out. Working on freeing the generator from the current location so we can figure out the mounting in the new one.

PXL_20210211_125125370.jpg

Yeah, the new coaches use that type of heater for hydronic floor heating.

pretty much any cheap 16 inch tire, just make sure you get one that’s 110 psi, not 80, and I think there F rated. i’ll look in a little bit.

About the tires, don't worry about it if you're referring to all brands, just specifically the F rated 110psi ones. I'm still on the fence about 17.5s, but that's a bridge I'll cross later.

About the AquaHot, they call it hydronic heating, but it's not heated floors. It uses air-air heat exchangers (radiators) in different sections of the camper. It also serves as an instant hot water heater. So, unlimited cabin heat, and unlimited hot water, all running off diesel. Maybe instead of a cooking surface I just bring along our InstantPot and do all of our cooking in that. Outdoor cooking can be a charcoal grill.😏

http://www.aquahot.com/Products/RV/125D.aspx

wxFppH1190jrN4eh9TDGsdk6hYaZP5mKTICznKmAOjuIhMVioQq8RUcmMQcfy7P0sJ0tgDvIwaSP8R9vxID5oFKmwhdalqJwHOsL8GXv=s0-d-e1-ft

:usa::flipoff2::usa:

We never used the propane cooktop in our cheap toy hauler that we had before either enclosed trailer. Always prepped the food inside and cooked (propane camp grill, propane camp stove, etc) outside. Only cooking apparatuses we use inside is the microwave and toaster oven. Drawback to no cooktop is that we have had to grill under the awning in the rain before to make sure food got cooked, but that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.

Genny freed from its place up top, and moved down to the bottom by way of a 4x4 ramp. Only mildly sketchy.

Gutted the goose today, and found some leaks. Good to find and fix them now rather than let them leak behind walls. Just seems like the sealant in the roof overlap is insufficient, so it should be easy to fix up.

Next up finishing the genny compartment with the chain sprockets, aluminum 20gal tank I picked up at auction for cheap, and the generator.

PXL_20210214_170713579.jpg

PXL_20210214_171330467.MP.jpg

PXL_20210214_201702780.MP.jpg

You can buy new awning material from Amazon, Ebay ect. Measure the old one and them shop by size and material quality. More than likely the old one shrunk considerably vs new so just go with the closest bigger size to get the correct fit.

I think the last one I bought for my 5th wheel camper was in the neighborhood of $250 shipped, so not too terrible.

You can buy new awning material from Amazon, Ebay ect. Measure the old one and them shop by size and material quality. More than likely the old one shrunk considerably vs new so just go with the closest bigger size to get the correct fit.

I think the last one I bought for my 5th wheel camper was in the neighborhood of $250 shipped, so not too terrible.

Found this site via YouTube. Price seems similar to what you're saying. Any thoughts on these people? Right now this is the route I'm gonna go.

https://www.toughtopawnings.com/col...ain-replacement-awning?variant=31650252423238

Genny freed from its place up top, and moved down to the bottom by way of a 4x4 ramp. Only mildly sketchy.

Gutted the goose today, and found some leaks. Good to find and fix them now rather than let them leak behind walls. Just seems like the sealant in the roof overlap is insufficient, so it should be easy to fix up.

Next up finishing the genny compartment with the chain sprockets, aluminum 20gal tank I picked up at auction for cheap, and the generator.

My 38' trailer had some leaks at the roof overlap. I put this Eternabond Tape down on the roof overlap and never had the slightest leak again.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=eternabo...767&tag=91812054244-20&ref=pd_sl_1ip5culn0i_e

My 38' trailer had some leaks at the roof overlap. I put this Eternabond Tape down on the roof overlap and never had the slightest leak again.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=eternabo...767&tag=91812054244-20&ref=pd_sl_1ip5culn0i_e

I'll remember that eternabond stuff, thank you. I was considering painting the entire roof with a RV roof coating like this, seems like 5 gallons will do it.

https://www.roofcoatingsupply.com/GACOROOF-100-SILICONE-ROOF-COATING-p/gr1600-col.htm

I have an Onan 6K I got from DE_Jeeper if anyone can use it.

<Jim> my truck got a APU/genset, battery bank, solar panels, etc.

Gavan when through that genny when he first got the Repete. I went through the wiring again a little later and it worked very well when in the truck.

Machine work for the relocated jackshaft system is now complete. Need to make some mounting plates for the bearings, cut down the old jack shaft, and get it glued together.

PXL_20210219_012051722.jpg

PXL_20210219_010122588.jpg

Back to the propane cooking chat. I built a flip down shelf at the end of my enclosed trailer that would fit my camp stove. It allows me to use it with the ramp up or down.

I like that it isn’t a permanent fixture, is out of the weather, and still feels like it’s outside in this location.

05B8A6BE-ED10-4311-924B-5E8117C92ECA.jpeg

B201AAEF-D615-4861-B830-06E732272FF6.jpeg

Relocated jack shaft system is finished, and it seems to work well! Welded two plates to a crossmember in the top of the compartment to hang the pillow block bearings. Adjusted the chain tension with washers between the plate and pillow block, as well as with the slotted holes in the pillow blocks.

Next, gotta clean the Cnc plasma and cut out the generator mount plate. Will use that and a piece of 2.5x2.5 1/4 wall rectangular tubing to create the new home for the generator/fuel tank.

Also, video for your pleasure:
https://youtu.be/o6__W2M_dj8

PXL_20210225_233308410.jpg

PXL_20210225_233339779.jpg

PXL_20210225_233255789.MP.jpg

Generator mounting plate cut out, crossmember tube selected, compartment prepped. Should have the generator in its new home within the week.

Click image for larger version Name:	PXL_20210227_233641337.jpg Views:	0 Size:	319.5 KB ID:	326882

Top Back Refresh