What's new

The Moonshine Motel - Enclosed Gooseneck "Crawler Hauler" Build

Glad to see you already tearing into the new-to-you trailer. Never had to mess with moving a used rv toilet so no advice there other than to try not to breathe to on the safe side. :laughing:

Also glad to see you got a weight ticket. Weight/scale tickets also interest me since I am a numbers nerd.

some light reading in the parts book shows there's a stop solenoid.
it appears to have a mechanical pump.

if it were mine, I'd disconnect the control board from the solenoid, apply 12V to it to open the fuel to the pump and then spin it.
it should be mechanically governed from there.

at least then you'll know if it has any glaring mechanical issues, but judging from that control box I'd say that somehting in the control board side of things is fuckered.
a new control board kit is like $250.

so I'd make sure it ran before I invested the time and money into unfucking it's control side of things.

depending on plans and what you have there already, it would also be the time to decide if you want to upgrade it to remote controls for the interior if it didn't already have them.

but that thing is a beefy ass liquid cooled low RPM commercial diesel genset, so I'd be interested in saving it if it was less than $500.

Glad to see you already tearing into the new-to-you trailer. Never had to mess with moving a used rv toilet so no advice there other than to try not to breathe to on the safe side. :laughing:

Also glad to see you got a weight ticket. Weight/scale tickets also interest me since I am a numbers nerd.

I'm a numbers nerd too. I'm religious about getting a weight ticket every time I go on a long trip.

some light reading in the parts book shows there's a stop solenoid.
it appears to have a mechanical pump.

if it were mine, I'd disconnect the control board from the solenoid, apply 12V to it to open the fuel to the pump and then spin it.
it should be mechanically governed from there.

at least then you'll know if it has any glaring mechanical issues, but judging from that control box I'd say that somehting in the control board side of things is fuckered.
a new control board kit is like $250.

so I'd make sure it ran before I invested the time and money into unfucking it's control side of things.

depending on plans and what you have there already, it would also be the time to decide if you want to upgrade it to remote controls for the interior if it didn't already have them.

but that thing is a beefy ass liquid cooled low RPM commercial diesel genset, so I'd be interested in saving it if it was less than $500.

That's what I'm thinking too. The control has engine protection shutoffs, electric lift pump power, glow plug relay, and a few breakers, looks pretty simple both to diagnose and repair.

I'm grateful that the PO kept all of the literature for the generator. Saves having to search around for the wiring diagrams and whatnot.

I fixed a 20KW kohler a few years back.

once you understand how it all works with the control board they're not that hard.

I'd read in the owner's manual and see if there's a means to get the board to display diagnostic codes.

this one was a big girl with a ford 2.5L 4 banger in it.
ran on propane.

2017-10-09_03-48-30.jpg

there's a generator forum on smokstak.

some factory techs hang out there. they may be able to help you in the diagnosing as well.

I R amateur.

I'm a numbers nerd too. I'm religious about getting a weight ticket every time I go on a long trip.

Our local Farmers Co-Op has a scale house in the main parking lot so I have weighed EVERYTHING we own multiple times just because I can.

Got the generator running this weekend. For whatever dumb reason, someone was inside the control and unhooked things, while wiring other things wrong. I have a new control circuit breaker coming in the mail, and it'll be buttoned up.

I only have one spot I can stick this thing, and I'm just not sure it's going to be quiet enough to run overnight while in AC. I wish I could stick it towards the back of the trailer, but there just isn't room between the deck and the bottom of the frame crossmembers.

I'll play around with the layout and put some renderings here in a while.

Here's a youtube video showing the generator running. Right now I have to pull the control fuse to kill the motor, because hitting "stop" fries the fuse. I'm on my very last fuse, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-win9YWmto

Figured out the awning. The fabric is 15 years old and ripped, but it works!! Need to look into getting new fabric, or if this one can be repaired.

1612795840833-png.2579334

Got her pulled up to the street for a test fit. Moonshine fits pretty damn well. Have ~38" of room from the front bumper to the goose to play with for shower/shitter/kitchentte. Should be just enough.

1612795975832-png.2579335

1612796012486-png.2579336

Empty pics:

1612796050909-png.2579337

The white scribble on the floor is our rough layout for the wet bath/kitchentte.

1612796114436-png.2579338

Last edited:
I would sound deaden that entire sheetmetal cabinet it sits in and send it.

but at least now it runs and shit, so it's worth significantly more than it was.

around here that awning fabric would be an amish job.

Progress is looking good on the new-to-you trailer.

Here's a YouTube Playlist I've thrown together with various videos (tips/tricks; how to replace awnings; ac easy start info; etc) that could be helpful for you.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL80VitiUhiY8O-6pu-C-5lUKJQ2yavGpu

Awesome, thanks man.

I've got a question for you about the torflex lift kit. The #12 lift kit says it's good for 7k axles (which I have) but not for 3" tall brackets. From reading, I took this to mean you can't lift triples, but from measuring, my brackets are about 3" tall. I assume your brackets are shorter?

Talking about the bracket welded on the frame I assume. It's an L bracket, and it's ~3" tall:

ACtC-3daGkv5k8GMrwU_4hwyuL9lV7-pQ56x1A8d4onn0yP3ZKk2jY3J7iIhRgEmOxaCl6sej9aJ62_ynqleWbGbXwo9KpmMaEcEQZPg5VLT6eSdo3vCbWeYGHa0A9oalI_GZb-uMhP9JpVcO0aaaMohlEYWYA=w2518-h1889-no

I would sound deaden that entire sheetmetal cabinet it sits in and send it.

but at least now it runs and shit, so it's worth significantly more than it was.

around here that awning fabric would be an amish job.

My current thinking is that I don't want it running next to my head, so I'm going to move it down to the kitchenette area, then seal/insulate the shit out of it. I think moving it that far will help a lot.

I'll put up more details in a while to get more opinions.

Awesome, thanks man.

I've got a question for you about the torflex lift kit. The #12 lift kit says it's good for 7k axles (which I have) but not for 3" tall brackets. From reading, I took this to mean you can't lift triples, but from measuring, my brackets are about 3" tall. I assume your brackets are shorter?

Talking about the bracket welded on the frame I assume. It's an L bracket, and it's ~3" tall:

Both of my trailers came with the lift kit already installed.

The 38' trailer had the 3" lift bolted in place and the 28' trailer has the 3" lift welded and bolted in place. Comparing the pictures of the 38' trailer to the 28's trailer, it appears the brackets are the same size between the two trailers with the upper bracket (welded to the trailer frame) is a little over 3'' and the lower bracket (welded to the trailer axle) is a little over 3.5" to the bottom.

38' trailer v
Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1419.jpg Views:	0 Size:	382.2 KB ID:	302793
Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1420.jpg Views:	0 Size:	436.3 KB ID:	302794
38' trailer ^

Last edited:
28' trailer v

Quick turnaround on the pics!! Thank you sir!

That 28' lift kit doesn't look like a "kit" so much as a piece of box steel welded in. I like it. The 38'er looks to me like a torflex lift kit.

This is my trailer, seems to be the same. Guess I'll order the torflex lift kit and give it a whirl, not sure I want to be welding on the axles just yet.

ypQMznBIyTkuorNYxSnmS6FEjwDatIFfL1jkcYyw8nY92GsNxEoPjgPAK_JS-SNjj48HTn55gjB1COsTgb7ymAYesWT4Em6nWbW9e-idjwgHYgLjkQfk-rFLeoT-2CApMBfLef2xgccpPYdJL3iIKe8Wv8EAas9O30W1S9vCXowb03EIQBWw5DuKPd6N7aGTuLYSLsdyPvSkRCK0MkVBtTeB18LEvlwMCUxNZzVmClLeh5f4nyAaWzaJegU8nimAoeBwU_NGxZrLOdaqoTFsu6yPw9XY6jagAqUeecx8QDmEcRee-ZZ8xs27hODAbkMp-pg8sZ5Nr-5HiunfqKLp6CJo_3PRT0pM-KC7dy2yfHLpCM6hl_ciu5jSNnrNqRTa_tYB2Ywayjx_jSoQ3RBD_yy-iFPOy1OIqp0ON_3DiPGdY9LwpjXs0wAX4f3eMiHALwOzGOE8dh71DyNXbQWl3G9zIqrXXW2ktOpcu-OOknkkemqwIDpBQMRyqlPRMl8eDeNyPxZt9Imv4jLyY-rxQgqoZ5xhmV1hAnHWB6c0vP2jlgYAVNDe0ele6GSw1Tc6PkfKTw--RilX7-S192mdAMJXKfB3cH_TCC7uvrnLRJUK2GBzUovZrMPdKRYmNf_RyeTNyiemyzfOfdXU-g6gKbS6ZHQ_Q9fycknk8KMt8EO3AptQ49f9ZuldrradjA=w2068-h1552-no

Quick turnaround on the pics!! Thank you sir!

That 28' lift kit doesn't look like a "kit" so much as a piece of box steel welded in. I like it. The 38'er looks to me like a torflex lift kit.

This is my trailer, seems to be the same. Guess I'll order the torflex lift kit and give it a whirl, not sure I want to be welding on the axles just yet.

No problem on pics. I may or may not have put my work status as "away" and went outside to take pics and measurements and then came back to work :grinpimp:

After comparing the pictures of the 38' and 28', I believe you are correct that the 38' was a kit and the 28' was a home brew.

My current thinking is that I don't want it running next to my head, so I'm going to move it down to the kitchenette area, then seal/insulate the shit out of it. I think moving it that far will help a lot.

I'll put up more details in a while to get more opinions.

I didn't realize it was up in the tongue area, thought it was down by that battery.

at least it sounds like it runs well.
toss a few heaters at it to see if it's good under a load.

Playing with the layout today, and I just don't see how I'll be able to keep the generator. It's basically 2'x2'x3', and with the truck inside, there just isn't much room without giving up either the kitchentte or shower/shitter. Have a look:

ACtC-3e44GWH7kgrMD6AMRbpqRt1f0ecxboPTMsnXaQBEE8MaKNHlQIJT5UMYCO-V3Xv-RIBruxWUhoYSgMdHhQd-3gIv4Zw66uwbctvX4yQhxlbQrIF9n9Z0Bx0VPrigBfNW47Wvifw_Hs5y6xZaQjvkF6ZCw=w1765-h1129-no

I'm not interested in putting this on the truck bed, and my wheelbase isn't long enough to put it in a side-box. I've got a honda 2200 that i'll run on propane and use to power my AC. The rest of everything else will be 12v.

Keeping all the lights and most everything else12v will eliminate the need for running a generator most of the time, and when we do, that Honda can be chained to the back of the trailer away from the sleeping area for nighttime AC.

So, who is interested in a Cummins Onan 6kw generator with ~900 hours?

Playing with the layout today, and I just don't see how I'll be able to keep the generator. It's basically 2'x2'x3', and with the truck inside, there just isn't much room without giving up either the kitchentte or shower/shitter. Have a look:

I'm interested in the generator (but not really) since I'd have to basically start over with my current trailer to make it fit somewhere too.

Over the weekend I saw a Sundowner crawler hauler trailer with a generator mounted on the roof behind the ac unit. It made me think of the hay storage compartments on the horse trailers, but don't think that's a viable option with the curved roof.

IMG_2844.jpg
IMG_2845.jpg

Last edited:
Could you build a platform, that hangs from the ceiling and holds the genny over the hood of the FJ? When you get to your site, lower it down and roll it out the back/side door. The E2200 sounds like just as good of a plan, but Id rather use tow rig fuel vs rig fuel. If you are going to have built in propane tanks for the stove/fridge anyway, it likely isnt a big deal.

Another idea is up front under the neck. That is where alot of gennys and propane tanks, etc are stored on campers/toyhaulers.

Could you build a platform, that hangs from the ceiling and holds the genny over the hood of the FJ? When you get to your site, lower it down and roll it out the back/side door. The E2200 sounds like just as good of a plan, but Id rather use tow rig fuel vs rig fuel. If you are going to have built in propane tanks for the stove/fridge anyway, it likely isnt a big deal.

Another idea is up front under the neck. That is where alot of gennys and propane tanks, etc are stored on campers/toyhaulers.

His FJ60 is diesel too, so truck, rig, and current gen would all use the same fuel source.

I'm interested in the generator (but not really) since I'd have to basically start over with my current trailer to make it fit somewhere too.

Over the weekend I saw a Sundowner crawler hauler trailer with a generator mounted on the roof behind the ac unit. It made me think of the hay storage compartments on the horse trailers, but don't think that's a viable option with the curved roof.

That's an interesting idea. It's a lot of weight to have up on the roof in a structure that's not really designed to support it though. Not sure I'm interested in all of that work JUST to be able to run a welder in the campground. I've got a ready-welder that sits unused 99.99% of the time already.

Propane isn't a big deal, is what I'm thinking as well. I could run that generator for something like 6 days on 20# of propane.

What do you mean up under the neck? On the bed of the truck or on the trailer hanging under the neck on the outside?

That's an interesting idea. It's a lot of weight to have up on the roof in a structure that's not really designed to support it though. Not sure I'm interested in all of that work JUST to be able to run a welder in the campground. I've got a ready-welder that sits unused 99.99% of the time already.

Yeah I figured that was an overly complicated way of keeping the generator on the trailer. Could only imagine how much fun troubleshooting or basic maintenance would be from up there.

ACtC-3e44GWH7kgrMD6AMRbpqRt1f0ecxboPTMsnXaQBEE8MaKNHlQIJT5UMYCO-V3Xv-RIBruxWUhoYSgMdHhQd-3gIv4Zw66uwbctvX4yQhxlbQrIF9n9Z0Bx0VPrigBfNW47Wvifw_Hs5y6xZaQjvkF6ZCw=w1765-h1129-no

I'm not interested in putting this on the truck bed, and my wheelbase isn't long enough to put it in a side-box. I've got a honda 2200 that i'll run on propane and use to power my AC. The rest of everything else will be 12v.

Keeping all the lights and most everything else12v will eliminate the need for running a generator most of the time, and when we do, that Honda can be chained to the back of the trailer away from the sleeping area for nighttime AC.

I'd be interested in the genny. Wonder how much it would be to get it out west?
There's no way you could fit it in somewhere near the front of the trailer under the tongue or front? That's an awfully nice genset.

There's no way you could fit it in somewhere near the front of the trailer under the tongue or front? That's an awfully nice genset.
I would try to fit it in on the other side of the wall from where you have "Kit" placed so it is tucked up against the floor of neck (if that will clear your truck at a 45 degree turn).

Aaron Z

I could stick it on a pallet and get a quote. Pm if serious, shipping LTL freight isn't cheap.

I would try to fit it in on the other side of the wall from where you have "Kit" placed so it is tucked up against the floor of neck (if that will clear your truck at a 45 degree turn).

Aaron Z

Can't extend the cladding out towards the truck any further. There's only about 6"of room from the truck to the trailer on a 45*.

If we could come up with a way to move the jack bar, the one that ties the two landing jacks together, then I could stick the generator here. Wouldn't take up interior room, would be well vented, and I could keep it. The generator won't fit in front of, above, or behind this bar, I've looked at those options.

Pic of the aforementioned space between the interior head wall and exterior cladding. Any ideas how to move/remove/work around the jack bar that bisects this space?

Click image for larger version Name:	PXL_20210208_225644327.jpg Views:	0 Size:	404.8 KB ID:	303398

Click image for larger version Name:	PXL_20210208_225633130.jpg Views:	0 Size:	392.7 KB ID:	303399

A handfull of pillow blocks and chain/sprockets will let you put that bar where you want.

I could stick it on a pallet and get a quote. Pm if serious, shipping LTL freight isn't cheap.

Can't extend the cladding out towards the truck any further. There's only about 6"of room from the truck to the trailer on a 45*.

If we could come up with a way to move the jack bar, the one that ties the two landing jacks together, then I could stick the generator here. Wouldn't take up interior room, would be well vented, and I could keep it. The generator won't fit in front of, above, or behind this bar, I've looked at those options.

Pic of the aforementioned space between the interior head wall and exterior cladding. Any ideas how to move/remove/work around the jack bar that bisects this space?

Use electric winches on each of the jacks to make them powered. You could also then possibly power them separate to help level when parked.

Top Back Refresh