What's new

The mini excavator thread

So to buy a thumb for my machine, would you buy off EBay or some other source?

Only hydro.

Mini ex

2FFF5D06-2AB2-4C0F-83AF-CDD0823EE99D.jpeg

T
IME a wheeled skit steer is 100% useless at digging any kind of a hole whatsoever.
OP will be happy with a min for what he wants. It would be worth keeping an eye out for a $1000 5+ yard dump truck to haul away the diggings and park the ss.
hat dump truck will be stuck every minute :lmao:

So on the subject of thumbs, hydro vs fixed? Obviously, the hydro is nicer, but is it worth it?
I get along just fine with my mechanical thumb. Hydro would be nice, but a mech works okay for my uses.

FWIW it is pretty easy to bend the thumbs on those little machines. Also easy to bend the wider buckets with the thumb on those little machines:laughing:

his intended use didn't include clearing/ grading, and so it sounds like all other target uses aside from pond building are appropriate for a 3.5-5 ton mini.

big machines = bigger parts / longer hoses = bigger repair bills/service call fees that are nearly assured for a ~$15k larger machine.

Generally true and something in the 15k area will be on its way to the scrap yard. Still a ex is handy as hell and once you have one you find all kinds of new and creative uses for it, just like a skid steer.

Cool picture. That fuckery would be so painful knowing what you could actually accomplish with newer equipment

They are just hard art at this time but my dad always called those shovels and a “garden shovel” a spade, just made me think of that.

95% sure this is the one I bought. You will have to validate for your model AND any quick attach you might have. I messed that up and had to modify mine a bit.

Decent enough guy. Had no issues in the ~5 years of use

I’m out. I’m so spoiled with all the excavator we have and that if I’m not digging with a 100,000 plus pound excavator I don’t want to do it. Sad thing is my big excavators cost the same as the minis mentioned here :mad3:

I bet you can get a smoking hot deal on a piece of shit thumb from eBay.

Where does your dad want you to buy it from?

Haven’t bent anything on my machine overworking it.

I bet you can get a smoking hot deal on a piece of shit thumb from eBay.

Where does your dad want you to buy it from?

Haven’t bent anything on my machine overworking it.
I also am a thumb snob. I want nothing to do with it unless it hydraulically rotates about the same pin as the bucket. Even better if it has a progressive link to it. :lmao::flipoff2:

I’m sorry I’m no help. If It was my mini I would just fab my own up from scratch and make it how I want. Not buy some under built bad geometry pos off the web.

Last edited:
As soon as you get above what fits on a gooseneck and hauled by a 1ton, the price drops substantially. If you dont need to move it on road, go big and save some coin. :smokin:
Crazy thing is I hire out the moves on my big ones. Usually costs 2-300$ for the heavy haul guys to move the 50tonners between pits.

Thats not bad
No and all I have to do is make a phone call. They do everything. No wrestling 10-12 1/2” chains.

No having to buy a $168,000 4 axle trailer nothing :smokin:. Buddy stopped over yesterday and was shopping for a 4 axle lowboy and that’s what he was quoted without the FET.

With that said with me buying that Toys-are-us crusher I have a feeling a 10’ wide 4 axle trailer is in my future.

Glad we bought this PC35 new in about '09. It was $ 36,000.00 then. It's treated as 3 labors typically. Just assists with the bigger machines. If I had to buy another one now I don't think I could go with something else. Only issue has been replacing the instrument cluster and I don't think that was over 500 bucks.
mini.jpg

Top Back Refresh