What's new
  • Check out our new Group Buy Program! We're kicking it off with Baja Designs! $10 Flat rate shipping no matter how much you order!

Tech in Chit-Chat

What to do with threads in Chat

• Create a 'General Fabrication' forum under 'General 4x4'

Votes: 9 6.4%
  • Don't bitch about mods moving threads

Votes: 39 27.7%
  • I don't see a problem

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Bacon

Votes: 20 14.2%

• Total voters

Austin

Blame Canada
Member Number
Loc
St.Louis, MO
We've been getting a few comments about tech in Chit-Chat so I'm curious your thoughts on what to do about it.

I get that when you post in Chit-Chat it may get more love but ... not everybody is here just for the Chat and it would be beneficial to have tech in the right places. Chit-Chat doesn't score as well in SERPS as opposed to the Tech forums so it's not helping the forum either.

So what to do? I'm down with a new 'General Fab' if we can agree to put stuff there. Stuff like:
These are just Random posts I picked, nothing against these idiots :flipoff2:

1. General Fab sounds like a great sub forum

2. I have no problem when "tech" threads are started in chit chat and then moved to the appropriate sub forum after a couple of days. Some of the threads you posted above wouldn't have been seen by many of us if they were posted in the appropriate sub forum to begin with.

3. I would use the "New Posts" function more often if I could acces it from the chit chat sub forum main page. I wouldn't miss the stuff being posted in the tech sub forums as much that way.

Last edited:
If there is a thread I'm not interested in....I don't open it and move on to something I might be. 🤷‍♂️

So for those whining about tech in chat....reach back, grab a handful of those panties and give them a good yank. :flipoff2:

When I hop on I hit the new post button, so if it is a topic I can contribute too it will still pop up in my feed, no matter the forum.

Moving stuff to the appropriate forum is good, but how do you determine that?

Does my equinox AWD thread will fit with the GM stuff? There is not one equinox thread in the chevy section.

Or my Altima CVT thread really fit in the nissan section? there is not one altima mention in the nissan section.

I post for help, and members here are awesome about helping. So I do want traffic. But no I don't want to clutter the board either.

In edit, I know i am a big offender of this, so Not gonna vote, but happy to follow the rules however they end up.

I was a recent offender with light tech question on a motor swap. Posted in GCC, got the answer with great banter, the vehicle is running, and the thread resides in the Chevy forum.

I hindsight, it could have been posted in the Brand Specific or Tow Rig section, but I might still be waiting for the traffic to get my answer.

I don’t think anyone who clicked into that thread did so against their will and it is archived where it belongs.

1. General Fab sounds like a great sub forum

2. I have no problem when "tech" threads are started in chit chat and then moved to the appropriate sub forum after a couple of days. Some of the threads you posted above wouldn't have been seen by many of us if they were posted in the appropriate sub forum to begin with.

3. I would use the "New Posts" function more often if I could acces it from the chit chat sub forum main page. I wouldn't miss the stuff being posted in the tech sub forums as much that way.
I only use the “new posts” button.

I think a lot of the tech in Chit chat is more daily driver, broken garage door opener, I need some general answers now so i can get started on some 101 shit, not super specialized knowledge

I know I really appreciate being able to post up some super basic 110v wiring question while I'm standing in home depot and getting an answer in gcc, versus getting some super technical blueprints hammered out over 30 days in "shop and tools" I guess

:homer:

I like the solution proposed by multiple folks of: let a thread get its traffic in Shat, then move it to a Tech subforum.

Only snag in that = you have now threads in Tech that got the Chit Chat level of derailing and fuckery.

Tech in Chit-Chat has always been a thing. It's fine.
Only caveat there = don't complain about your tech discussion being shit up if you post it in Chit Chat.

Can't remember if it was PBB (or more likely JKO:confused:) but 2 posted noob rules were~
  • Don't shit up Tech threads because we'll fuck you up for it
  • Don't put your tech in Chit Chat because we will shit it up :laughing:

Does my equinox AWD thread will fit with the GM stuff? There is not one equinox thread in the chevy section.

Or my Altima CVT thread really fit in the nissan section? there is not one altima mention in the nissan section.
See below about DD stuff.

I think a lot of the tech in Chit chat is more daily driver, broken garage door opener, I need some general answers now so i can get started on some 101 shit, not super specialized knowledge

I know I really appreciate being able to post up some super basic 110v wiring question while I'm standing in home depot and getting an answer in gcc, versus getting some super technical blueprints hammered out over 30 days in "shop and tools" I guess

:homer:
Fully agree, PJ.

The 455 thread should go into other builds. The diff spool thread can go into newbie tech. The crane thread I wouldnt care were it was but CC has more traffic.

Bacon/Profit.

I agreed with the above.

Only snag in that = you have now threads in Tech that got the Chit Chat level of derailing and fuckery.

and when newish people read those threads in tech, they think they can shit up new threads that are started in tech. And then everything turns to shit.

I think they should just be left in GCC. I don't see a problem. Final answer.

[goes to look for 'new post button' I just learned about.] :homer:

I think gcc is probably like scrolling tictoc or you tube for a lot of guys here, log on, scroll a little bit, get some memes, get some world event updates, a little bit of politics if you want, some random builds you didn't know you were interested in, throw in your 2 cents or smart ass remarks, some big dumb loads, a badass house build and help some dude get his bumper

I think we made gcc what we want it to be, it's not perfect, but it's still pretty good. it's like free pepperoni pizza, anybody that complains about it is a ****

What if you could post in GCC and ALSO select a subforum that would fit it best where people could also interact with the thread?

That's probably not how billboard forums work huh?:lmao:

Edit: The latest posts column on the top right is an excellent way to find hot threads outside of GCC, I really like seeing what the homos in the Toyota section and the Chads in Suzuki section are up to. :lmao:

Last edited:
Let people create tech threads in CC, then later on, once they fizzle out, have mods move them to the appropriate forum.

no ones gonna go back and move threads that are on page 8 so why bother then?

subforms are terrible for traffic.

let it be

so should there be less sub forums then? Put them all into one place.

When I hop on I hit the new post button, so if it is a topic I can contribute too it will still pop up in my feed, no matter the forum.

Moving stuff to the appropriate forum is good, but how do you determine that?

I post for help, and members here are awesome about helping. So I do want traffic. But no I don't want to clutter the board either.

In edit, I know i am a big offender of this, so Not gonna vote, but happy to follow the rules however they end up.

sub forums have always been for 4x4 related stuff, cars that type if thing was CC.

THIS !

Leave it alone. Tech in Chit-Chat has always been a thing. It's fine.

Nah you'd get flamed and your thread would go to crap pretty quickly if in the wrong space.

Part of the reason the sub forums don't get traffic is stuff get posted all over. Lots of gun and outdoor stuff get posted in GCC which means less traffic in the sub forum.

I don't think a new forum or sub forum is gonna do much.

Austin - Chit-Chat doesn't score as well in SERPS as opposed to the Tech forums so it's not helping the forum either.

So there is a issue with just posting in GCC, don't know how big of an issue it is for Austin with this.

So we have a bunch of nazi's who want to restrict free speech in chit-chat? Man, fuck those people, anything goes in chit chat as far as i'm concerned. I'm with the guy who said move them when they fizzle. Otherwise fuck off.:flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh