What's new

Tape measurer that doesnt cost a fortune

What's best for layout work on steel?

Like it I had a 6x6 plate that needed holes on the edges spaced 1" from the edges?

PXL_20230816_024728913.jpg

Oh i'm ordering a couple of those:lmao:

Anybody come across "decimal" measuring tapes?

Wanna have some fun? Toss a couple of those in your contractor friend's truck. Best results if you match his preferred brand.
Found a handful of metric tapes at a yard sale. Same effect.

I'm surprised nobody is making 75/80/90% scale tapes.

They would really aid in documenting that all your shit is to code. :laughing:

Stanley powerlock is my preference. Bought two at home Depot last month, didn't realize how bad my old powerlock was getting

Screenshot_20230815-191310-867.png
Don't buy that one. Hot garbage. The tape is thinner than the made in USA ones and immediately bends/kinks/limpdicks under normal jobsite use.

Spend the extra $8 and get these ones
IMG-7483.jpg

I buy these and for some reason they divide my friends as much as they divide measurements... they get picked up and its either, "oh shit, thats cool" or "what the fuck is this? I can't read this shit!"

Its great for finding centers, or breaking things down into even spaces, divide to center, divide to center, etc.

Screen Shot 2023-08-16 at 8.18.24 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-08-16 at 8.14.30 AM.png

I "discovered" the Komelon self-lock tape measures a few years ago and it was a game changer for me. I always hated trying to fumble around to lock a tape single-handedly or unlock it when I was done. With these, pull the tape out and it stays out until you push the button and it reels back in. Brilliant!

EV2825_angleExtended.jpg

Harbor Freight has Bauer versions: Harbor Freight Tools – Quality Tools at Discount Prices Since 1977

56350_W3.jpg

Stanley has the lever lock as well.

Hhaven't seen any with accurate measurements.

Fine for framing, b
A speed square, not a measuring tape..

I buy these and for some reason they divide my friends as much as they divide measurements... they get picked up and its either, "oh shit, thats cool" or "what the fuck is this? I can't read this shit!"

Its great for finding centers, or breaking things down into even spaces, divide to center, divide to center, etc.

Screen Shot 2023-08-16 at 8.18.24 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-08-16 at 8.14.30 AM.png
I mistakenly bought a box of those. I gave them away.

For metal work and car building I like the 3/4" Stanley 12 ft leverlock. It's small and works great with one hand. They used to have them with metal bodies, still have a few.

Stanley Levelock 25 or Fat Max 25. That's what's in my store room.

I bought the Milwaukle two pack and don't like them, they don't seem to stay hooked and aren't stiff enough. Gave them away

Cheap HF calipers make nice metal scribes. And you'll be real mad when you pick up your good ones and use them the same way before thinking.

Tapes are a manufactured item. You need to check them when brand new. HF may have a higher incidence of rivet issues, but ALL brands can screw up from time to time. The tapes below were "high dollar" stanley.

tape.JPG

I bet that caused a good fight or two, before shit was figured out :lmao::lmao:

Tapes are a manufactured item. You need to check them when brand new. HF may have a higher incidence of rivet issues, but ALL brands can screw up from time to time.

tape.JPG

That top tape is cut short...

But you do realize that most tape measure ends move a bit to account for thickness of the latchy/catchy thing.

Can you make a video so we can learn how to use one of those things?

1692201986279.png

That top tape is cut short...

Yep. Came from the stanley factory that way. Discovered in use at an accredited manufacturing plant during an audit. The floor manager was a bit embarrassed.

Point being, it isnt that uncommon that the tapes are cut wrong when made. Even from a reputable maker. Or the rivets are jacked up, or the hook is bent, or.... It isnt hard to compare a newly purchased tape to one you know/trust to make sure they measure correctly.

But you do realize that most tape measure ends move a bit to account for thickness of the latchy/catchy thing.

I do, probably more than most. Metrology is part of my job.

Yep. Came from the stanley factory that way. Discovered in use at an accredited manufacturing plant during an audit. The floor manager was a bit embarrassed.

Point being, it isnt that uncommon that the tapes are cut wrong when made. Even from a reputable maker. Or the rivets are jacked up, or the hook is bent, or.... It isnt hard to compare a newly purchased tape to one you know/trust to make sure they measure correctly.

I do, probably more than most. Metrology is part of my job.

I mean, as long as you're using the same tape measure repeatedly for every measurement/cut it, a little inaccuracy isn't the end of the world.

If you're trying to build something to spec or with multiple tapes, then ya, big issue lol

The lever lock you have to hold the lever for it to lock. The self locking ones stay locked until you push the button - so you can sit it down with the tape extended.
I thought I remembered it the opposite, but it has been 10+ years since I handled one.

For me I guess it has to do with what you are used to. I like the push to lock button. What I used most of my life. I have a few leverlocks and I get frustrated when I use them cause they kinda work backward from what I expect. All a personal preference, no perfect system.

New craftsman tapes from Lowe's or Ace. Mines identical to a fatmax but has a lifetime warranty. My work tape is probably 2 years old now which is as good as anything else ever lasted

They were 2 for $15 on a holiday sale last time I bought them. I should have stocked up

Don't buy that one. Hot garbage. The tape is thinner than the made in USA ones and immediately bends/kinks/limpdicks under normal jobsite use.

Spend the extra $8 and get these ones
IMG-7483.jpg
I like these. Haven't been able to find them though just the 🏳️‍🌈 overmolded transformers looking ones :shaking:

Top Back Refresh