What's new

Tape measurer that doesnt cost a fortune

fordguy

blah.
Member Number
Whats a goos tape measurer that doesnt cost 40 bucks? I need like 4 and that shit fets expensive!

have you been to lowes or HD? they're like 20 bucks for a 25-footer

Prices are dumb, but I'm kinda snobby about tape measures:homer: Grab a bag of 16' fat max's and be happy:laughing:

Go find whoever on CL or marketplace is selling an assortment of hand tools that includes a tape for $20 or whatever.

Enjoy your free hammers.

Do you NEED 25' tapes for all of them? Assuming that's what you want since you mentioned $40

I like the Milwaukee 48-22-5506

They're only 6 foot, but that covers a lot of what I measure. They also make 10 footers. It's nice to use the shortest tape possible.

Do you NEED 25' tapes for all of them? Assuming that's what you want since you mentioned $40

I like the Milwaukee 48-22-5506

They're only 6 foot, but that covers a lot of what I measure. They also make 10 footers. It's nice to use the shortest tape possible.

16' is about perfect. Any smaller an they are hard to find

Regular old classic stanley powerlock 25' are $20

Just make sure you get the one with the American flag on it. The ones without the flag are absolute junk

wrist strap!

181808_69030.png

Last edited:
Stanley powerlock is my preference. Bought two at home Depot last month, didn't realize how bad my old powerlock was getting

Screenshot_20230815-191310-867.png

My kid is a Fatmax fan, a little wide for me

Last edited:
Yeah, not. I have a couple around here, I measured with the harbor fright tape, came back later and picked up the Stanley powerlock and measured a ¼" shorter. Toss in trash and bought two new Powerlock tapes
The rivets at the end get sloppy on the HF tapes. Gotta know how much slop is in your tape. :laughing:

Yeah, not. I have a couple around here, I measured with the harbor fright tape, came back later and picked up the Stanley powerlock and measured a ¼" shorter. Toss in trash and bought two new Powerlock tapes

As long as the whole crew has the same shitty hf measure you can all be wrong together.

I "discovered" the Komelon self-lock tape measures a few years ago and it was a game changer for me. I always hated trying to fumble around to lock a tape single-handedly or unlock it when I was done. With these, pull the tape out and it stays out until you push the button and it reels back in. Brilliant!

EV2825_angleExtended.jpg

Harbor Freight has Bauer versions: Harbor Freight Tools – Quality Tools at Discount Prices Since 1977

56350_W3.jpg

Stanley powerlock is my preference. Bought two at home Depot last month, didn't realize how bad my old powerlock was getting

I bought a bunch of those in 16' that were on sale. Did not realize that the first 12" is broke down to the 32nd. My eyes arent good enough for that many lines on a tape:homer:

I have the stanleys, komelons, and I grabbed a 2fer of Kobalts last year. Wider tape, locks good, and has magnets on the clip end. The rivet slop is deadon for push or pull measurements.

Anybody come across "decimal" measuring tapes?

Wanna have some fun? Toss a couple of those in your contractor friend's truck. Best results if you match his preferred brand.

The ones that screw me up are the combo tapes. 10ths across the top an inches across the bottom.

The ones with the fractions printed out screw me up too, for some reason

The ones that screw me up are the combo tapes. 10ths across the top an inches across the bottom.

The ones with the fractions printed out screw me up too, for some reason
We have to live with metric/standard combo tapes.

I can't fuckin stand not having the same marks on the top of the tap as the bottom.

I never could do it. Kept a 10ths tape handy in the truck, and an :usa: tape in my bags:flipoff2:

Not to be a dick....but. If a tape measure is difficult to operate, maybe you shouldnt be the guy holding the smart end:flipoff2:
More that I'm always trying to juggle a bunch of other things too. Measuring with one hand while writing things down with the other while balancing a clipboard on my thigh or similar. The self-lock version just works so much easier.

More that I'm always trying to juggle a bunch of other things too. Measuring with one hand while writing things down with the other while balancing a clipboard on my thigh or similar. The self-lock version just works so much easier.

Yup, love my self-lockers...and they aren't even that expensive, like $10-15/each is all I've paid.

Top Back Refresh