Tagging and Consolidation Forums ...

Tagging and Consolidation Forums ...

• A) Consolidate Now

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • B) Hold off a while

Votes: 49 77.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think if anything merge the Jeep sub forums into just one Jeep forum like you were discussing a few months ago.
If we don't consolidate overall, thats happening.

I guess I’m not allowed to create new tags. Probably a good call. I definitely wasn’t trying to tag a thread “harddickmakemehorny” or anything:flipoff2:
I also got denied. I dont have permissions to create new tags, "Jimmyflatratesucks", will have to wait.
To be fair you both look shady AF :flipoff2:. Have you tried outside of Chit-Chat and The TP?

Consolidation is a good idea. Can we get the TP as a sub forum off shitshat?
Ah, It was like that on PBB wasn't it.....

Can you make it so we can right-click the "quote" button on a post? I often do that to put something in another tab while I finish the page and then respond, or sometimes put together multiple ones manually to have a multi-quote.
Multi-Quote

I vote for leaving things exactly how they are. Who wanted it consolidated?
When we first moved over ... damn near everybody. Which is why I was looking into it and figured that tags would be the only way to keep some orginization.

Is it possible to require posts in the broader categories to have a "brand" prefix, like the classifieds already have for the states? Then you could use a filter setting to show/hide whatever brands you want.
meh .. technically yes, but with my previous rig I wouldn't know what to prefix it with. CJ5 with Chevy LS swap and Rockwells ... what is that? lol

If I can make the sirch function at the old shit hole work and find what I was looking for, I'm pretty sure I can manage over here. #hashtaghater

The first time I search and get "array" I'm coming to shit in a sunroof

:flipoff2:

Consolidate a little if you need to. Jeep section, sure. or maybe just CJ and earlier yj and newer or something. But don't put all domestics together. I like being able to go through things how they are, its simple, and quick.

Fuck searching by tags. Add them as an option if people want to, but don't make me search things by them if I don't want to. I can always find an old project I'm looking for by going to that section. You have to remember the tags it was tagged with if you have to search by tags. I can't remember peoples names for their rigs later, so if i'm looking for your "wrong way" project five months from now, I won't remember your tag of "wrong way" But i will remember your cj5 project, and its probably in the jeep section.

And speaking of your "wrong way" example. People here don't post 10 different threads relating to one project. Its all on one thread, so the use of tags to search everything related to that build isn't going to bring up much.

And remember, You created this site because these people didn't want to change.

And speaking of your "wrong way" example. People here don't post 10 different threads relating to one project. Its all on one thread, so the use of tags to search everything related to that build isn't going to bring up much.

And remember, You created this site because these people didn't want to change.

It literally just came up that somebody wants to do that to avoid finding stuff in a massive build. Makes perfect sense to me.

I created this site so WE can direct what it is, which is why there is a vote before I just pull the trigger on something. At first everybody wanted less forums, which is what brought about all this. If this vote was in the first week or so, it would already be like this. If we're past that, which I prefer because it's easier to leave it as is, I'm good with it.

Guess I'm the odd one out then. I prefer the big thread over a bunch of little ones for the same rig. Its nice to see the progression, and bonus points if it actually gets out on the trails/road. I usually go to specific build threads to see the updates. I'll probably miss a lot of things I would enjoy reading about if people start breaking them up into different threads. Seems like that is the fakebook/instagram build thread way. Hard to follow. Seems like if you break it up, you'll just be answering questions/ referring them to your other thread when people see something on your suspension in a picture that is in your engine thread. Seems like there would be a lot of redundant posts talking about the same stuff in one thread because someone asks about it, even though it was already covered in a different one. But, that's just me, and I guess that keeps activity up.

Am glad you're taking input from your subjects though. We do appreciate what you've done :beer:

I think Foreign and Domestic is too broad.

There doesn't have to be a sub forum for every model, but the usual manufacturer sub forums makes sense to me, i.e. Jeep, Toyota, Dodge, Chevy, etc. maybe a catch all for the less popular Mitsubishi, Isuzu, and other oddball stuff.

Plus, if you're shooting for a global audience, Foreign and Domestic sub forums are going to be different depending on where you're at.

Voted wait and see. This site is still in it's infancy, time will hopefully bring people and content.

Hell no on the level of consolidation you are talking with Foreign and Domestic.

I dont want to have to wade through a dozen of ghey brands to get to Toyota stuff.

All the other gheys that do Jeeps can have their Brokeback dedicated forum. If they want to diddle themselves to YJ, FJ, KY, etc then cool. I don't go in there anyways as I don't want my computer to get the AIDS

I vote leave it alone for at least 6 months and reevaluate then.

To be fair you both look shady AF :flipoff2:. Have you tried outside of Chit-Chat and The TP?

I tried a couple times to put tags on my build thread in the Ford section.

tagtest.png

Less forums. But more than two. Jeeps should be 2 or 3 forums. Toyota should be it’s own (I think 2, crawlers and more mild builds), but the rest of the jap scra.... imports, should be one forum. Mercedes, Land Rover, other weird European shit should be in one. Ford by itself. Gm by itself. IH is a tough one, I don’t know what else you would lump it in with, but it’s a pretty small audience all by itself. Dodge boys will lose their shit if they don’t have their forum. Add a side by side, quad, and dirt bike forum. It is something a lot of members have moved to, and would be a reasonable draw since that’s what most of the sport has moved to, at least out east. And you know irates will do it bigger, better, and more in depth than any of those pussies on those other sites. Just how I used to look at all the cool broncos and dent sides pirates were building from the safety of the bronco forum, you’ll get side by side dweebs over here lurking and learning from the fuckery we will have going on. I mean, slowpoke butchered a brand new side by side just because he wanted to go race. It takes a crazy bastard to do that, and if you have a designated place to show that off, more of them will find this place. They don’t belong in general 4x4, in my mind that’s for axle, brake, doublers, roll cage tech, plating knuckles, etc.

So my vote is less forums will be better, but two isn’t enough. Also, ban evernoob

edit- and a buggy and 4400/4600 car forum. Those beautiful bitches deserve their own showcase. It will be pretty slow, but I think it’s worth it

Like a Bill in Congress, hidden it the wall of text:lmao:

I am not a side by side guy, I will never own one. And I broke the fuck out of the first and only one I ever played with (turns out left foot braking is bad for belt clutches), but I can see the future of the sport, and what will draw traffic to irate4x4. I will concede, we should probably make it so a mod has to approve threads to make sure they contain actual tech, not just some dipshit bolting on a sick light bar, bro
:flipoff2:

I was referring to the evernoob portion of the Bill!

Even the author overlooks the pork:lmao:

I think Foreign and Domestic is too broad.

There doesn't have to be a sub forum for every model, but the usual manufacturer sub forums makes sense to me, i.e. Jeep, Toyota, Dodge, Chevy, etc. maybe a catch all for the less popular Mitsubishi, Isuzu, and other oddball stuff.

Plus, if you're shooting for a global audience, Foreign and Domestic sub forums are going to be different depending on where you're at.

This.

Stick to the basic manufacturer forums, but cut out the sub forums (CJ, YJ, TJ...).

Austin, this is your playground, so obviously it is ultimately your choice, but I personally don't see much benefit to tags and I know I won't ever be searching for things by "tags", and I am strongly opposed to consolidating the forums the way it was done in the screen shot you posted.

I think the tech forums should be consolidated by make (i.e., just one Jeep forum), and the makes that don't have much activity (Isuzu, Land Rover, Mitsubishi, Mercedes, and Nissan) should just be posted in "General 4x4" since it is not make specific. I also think "Newb 4x4" should be combined with "General 4x4" since there are plenty of non-hardcore threads in "General 4x4" anyways and there has never been a very clear delineation between what goes in which forum. I have seen people post some pretty hardcore stuff in Newb just because it wasn't ground breaking or they weren't forging their parts from ore they had mined themselves :flipoff2: There are also a lot of picture threads in "General 4x4" and topics that are pretty damn basic. In my opinion, that is the extent of consolidation that I think would be healthy. If people just want to see a bunch of active threads jumbled together, they can always just click the "Latest Activity" tab.

I prefer individual forums over tags. I often just click to a forum to browse. I especially do Willys and Land Cruisers.

By going with tags, you are relying upon a user to remember or take the time to tag. A forum is virtually a tag already and the lazy user doesn't have to tag his post with "FJ40".

By limiting number of tags and forcing a user to burn up one to classify the make/model, you impacted use of tags. As you noted, build threads can bring a whole new level of tag hell; my own is FJ55, FJ62, Silverado, Dodge, S10, Tacoma, Ford, etc.

I think the division of forums on the board that shouldn't be mentioned was too over the top. I think Jeeps should be 'old' vs 'new' as mentioned. I also think Toyota should be trucks/SUV and Land Cruisers.

Less forums. But more than two. Jeeps should be 2 or 3 forums. Toyota should be it’s own (I think 2, crawlers and more mild builds), but the rest of the jap scra.... imports, should be one forum. Mercedes, Land Rover, other weird European shit should be in one. Ford by itself. Gm by itself. IH is a tough one, I don’t know what else you would lump it in with, but it’s a pretty small audience all by itself. Dodge boys will lose their shit if they don’t have their forum. Add a side by side, quad, and dirt bike forum. It is something a lot of members have moved to, and would be a reasonable draw since that’s what most of the sport has moved to, at least out east. And you know irates will do it bigger, better, and more in depth than any of those pussies on those other sites. Just how I used to look at all the cool broncos and dent sides pirates were building from the safety of the bronco forum, you’ll get side by side dweebs over here lurking and learning from the fuckery we will have going on. I mean, slowpoke butchered a brand new side by side just because he wanted to go race. It takes a crazy bastard to do that, and if you have a designated place to show that off, more of them will find this place. They don’t belong in general 4x4, in my mind that’s for axle, brake, doublers, roll cage tech, plating knuckles, etc.

So my vote is less forums will be better, but two isn’t enough. Also, ban evernoob

edit- and a buggy and 4400/4600 car forum. Those beautiful bitches deserve their own showcase. It will be pretty slow, but I think it’s worth it

this makes a lot of sense.

for the Jeep boards if they must be split I would say do TJ and older, JK and newer, and Jeep Unibodies (that covers XJ, ZJ, MJ, KJ, etc)

I agree with this whole idea.

To everybody’s ‘if I want to see Toyota stuff I go to that forum’ tags also help if that user posts in wiring, trailering, for sale etc. again not pushing it on you, just giving examples how it can help ya.

I love all the Jeep guys, consolidate others but keep ours broke down-ish. :flipoff2:

I'd love to have a forum for the Ultra4 rigs, but we need to get them there. I have a $1k nugget out there and none came over. I'll be pushing this again once we get some more growth.

Anyway, All good points, all taken into consideration.

The plan:
  • Jeep is being consolidated into one
  • If it gets to a point where there is one particular type of model of vehicle just taking over a brand, it will be pushed into a subforum. I hope we create have this problem :grinpimp:
  • TP is getting moved under Chit-Chat
  • ’ll add a sxs forum for the quitters :flipoff2:
  • Moving classifieds section to under the’ Misc’ section
  • Tags are staying on, ignore them if you don’t like them, help add them if you do
  • No other forums are being consolidated for now

this makes a lot of sense.

for the Jeep boards if they must be split I would say do TJ and older, JK and newer, and Jeep Unibodies (that covers XJ, ZJ, MJ, KJ, etc)

I agree with this whole idea.

ya thats not a bad idea, IH could probly get grouped into ford, toyota could stay just one, i dont frequent the jeep subs but do you really need more than one?

Jeep newb
jeep hardcore

toyota

ford
dodge
chevy
domestic other
jap foreign
euro foreign
SXS/motorcycle

gen 4x
newb 4x
tow rig/trailer
shop and tools

maybe something like this^?

idk

I think the Tags are a good idea, I don't see any downsides to having them either, people not understanding them doesn't count as a downside :flipoff2:

It has been said before, but I am tossing my input in just cause, foreign and domestic would be too much. Mainly because I am pretty much on here for only Toyota stuff. The Toyota section is already consolidated compared to the old site ( 80's Pickups and New Tacoma's being combined, which was a needed merger ) merging ALL foreign vehicles would be too much. I enjoyed the old websites very narrow and specific forms. I understand that we could still sort all the Toyota posts with the Toyota tag, but that would be relying on everyone to tag their posts with "Toyota", which I do not think most people would either remember to do, or care to do. Reading this thread it already looks like a decent amount of people don't like the tags or already swore them off as some stupid Instagram feature lol

all the cool build are in "other builds".

Just sayin. :flipoff2:

wheeling is dumb.

my thoughts, as a fucking super nerd that's been on bulletin boards since the 80s.

Tags work. Tags make searching a giant database of shit way easier. Tags are literally meta. I like tags.

but the problem with tags is that they are double edged. Yes, they make finding specific things very easy, but what if you don't know exactly what you're looking for? They also require the users to tag shit properly, and consistently.
If you're searching whole posts in a forum that's pretty relevant, you'l get all the results. It's messier, but sometimes the ability to cast such a wide net helps you find some shit that you wouldn't have other wise.

It's like the difference between bit torrent and FM radio. FM radio just plays shit, you find a channel that's in the genre you like and you just listen and enjoy. Sometimes you change it because they play a song you hate. When you're torrenting music you have to already know what you're looking for. There's nobody to say, "here, listen to this shit", you have to be educated enough about the shit you like to know what you need to find.

I still pay for sirius radio in my car even though there's 30GB of music in it's dashboard, because sometimes I just like turning it to a channel and letting someone play shit I like.

The separate forums are messy, yes, but sometimes I just like popping into one and looking around. Maybe I find something I like, maybe I change the station.
I think you lose that ability with consolidation and then forcing users to use tags. You already have to known what you're looking for to find shit you might like.

I'd love to have a forum for the Ultra4 rigs, but we need to get them there. I have a $1k nugget out there and none came over. I'll be pushing this again once we get some more growth.

Don't waste your time. Racers don't share tips, tricks, or what they are doing and how. Go find me a off road race forum with open tech, discussion, and Q&A. All of the tech discussed is years old because nobody shares the latest advantage

my thoughts, as a fucking super nerd that's been on bulletin boards since the 80s.

Tags work. Tags make searching a giant database of shit way easier. Tags are literally meta. I like tags.
giphy.gif

Don't waste your time. Racers don't share tips, tricks, or what they are doing and how. Go find me a off road race forum with open tech, discussion, and Q&A. All of the tech discussed is years old because nobody shares the latest advantage
This is exactly why I was thinking ... but it doesn't hurt to try

yes.

this is exactly how I dance too.

a head full of logic and numbers doesn't do rhythm very fucking well.

I basically endeavored to become mr spock when I was like 6, and here I am later in life emotionally and socially crippled, but real good at problems.

paid off.

On instagram, which is pictures, I get using tags to make the pictures searchable.

On a forum, where words are already searchable, it seems redundant. :confused:

Honestly, I don't care. I'm just glad to have a Canadian-free clubhouse! Thanks, NewLance!

I'm on board now you just need to give us the permissions to do it. :flipoff2:

where are you trying to do it that you cant?

EDIT: It's for the OP's original post only, not every Tom Dick and Harry's post. Tom Dick and Harry CAN add tags to the OP's post if they want to help ... just know the OP can remove them if they are not wanted.

Top Back Refresh