• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Austin

Blame Canada
Member Number
Loc
St.Louis, MO
Read before voting ...

I’ve enabled topic tagging as an additional tool to get what you want to see.

EDIT: see tags at the bottom of this post
  • 5 tags max per topic
  • You don’t have to tag your posts
  • Others CAN tag your posts
  • If you don’t like what they tag, OP can delete them. Mods as well.
  • 3 letter minimum / 25 max
  • If 2 letters are needed let me know. IE: CJ, FJ, Etc
  • Keep them 4x4 related
  • No tagging in chit-chat or the TP
Tagging will play a big part in the growth of ibb. From what I understand, the general consensus is still to greatly consolidate forums. At some point in the future, it won’t make sense to keep them that way. I’m thinking if you have 500 or 1000 tags for a given word, primarily manufactures, only then will those will be broken off into their own forum. IE, Ford, Isuzu etc. We’ll never have a D60 or Rockwell forum for example. If you really want a dedicated forum, get active and help tag.

Tagging can really come in handy for your build as well. If you’re calling the rig ‘Wrong Way’ for example, and you have 10 threads highlighting different aspects of the build, people can easily find them all by looking for that tag.

About the Poll:
Tags are on from here on out, you don’t have to use them. Big question is, do we still want to drastically reduce the number of forums? Basically taking all the ‘Manufacture Specific’ forums down to just ‘Domestic’ and ‘Foreign’ and letting them grow out by tagging usage. I 100% agree that we’ll all probably see more than normal if we do. My only concern is the URL’s in the search engines. Having the word ‘Ford’, ‘Jeep’, ‘Toyota’ In the urls certainly helps us get found by non-members.

So the basis for the poll is:
A) give up seo and make it easier on us to read, make it look more active by having less forums
B) keep it as is for a few more months and see how well tagging gets us what we want to see

can we have both? :laughing:

normal sub forums and then "the live feed"

i guess we already have that with "new topics"

whats it going to look like with out all the sub forums? :confused:

whats it going to look like with out all the sub forums?

Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 5.17.43 PM.png

With the forum so new I think it would be better to hold off and see how it grows. I would think having brand specific areas would help direct newbs, and be easier for them to find what they need. I do agree we don't need a page for each model of jeep etc.

I don't have even the slightest, tiniest clue WTF you are talking about.
If I understood I would vote. If there was a "hold off forever" I think I would vote that option. I generally like things that don't change.

So.......

Did VerticalScope make you an offer on this place?

:flipoff2:

Last edited:
I saw let it be on consolidation for now. I don't mind tags of people want to use them, but I do like going to the Ford forum to as a question about an F-150. A general tech forum would be a pile of refuse worth of posts to wade through. JMHO

I read 'Ford' regularly, and DGAF about 'Dodge'.

Having 'Foreign' and 'Domestic' seems like a half-measure- if I've got to wade through Chevys and Dodges, why not throw in Isuzu and Renault as well?

I'm happy with the way it is.

I also do not get what Tags are. :homer: Is that like a FB 'Like'? That OP needs a one-line "Tag the little white box for areas/posts/people/animals you like." It reads like a chat in the ModLounge, among people who know what's going on.

Or are Tags some Instagram # thing?

I'm so confused!!!!!11!!!!!

Having 'Foreign' and 'Domestic' seems like a half-measure- if I've got to wade through Chevys and Dodges, why not throw in Isuzu and Renault as well?

I also do not get what Tags are. :homer: Is that like a FB 'Like'? That OP needs a one-line "Tag the little white box for areas/posts/people/animals you like." It reads like a chat in the ModLounge, among people who know what's going on.

Austin should turn tags on for chit chat for a day, we'll all figure it out quick

Similar to a hashtag. If you go on instagram and search #4x4 it will pull up all the related posts that are tagged #4x4.

That was easy :flipoff2:.

It is not a IG integration thing, strictly for IBB. They go in the OP's post and are up to 5 words that relate to the post. They appear at the bottom and you can click on them to find all similarly tagged posts, kinda like IG.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 5.40.30 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	164.0 KB ID:	85304

So you can click on 'Jeep' there and see all post tagged with 'Jeep' .... which there are very few because I just turned it on.

If you just want to see F150s .... search for that tag or click it from within a post and find them all.

Clear as mud? :flipoff2:

fawk, I'm old and I don't understand.....And no don't bother spoon feeding me. I opt for the wait awhile and see option. Cause change is bad.:flipoff2::flipoff2:

So you can click on 'Jeep' there and see all post tagged with 'Jeep' .... which there are very few because I just turned it on.

If you just want to see F150s .... search for that tag or click it from within a post and find them all.

Clear as mud? :flipoff2:

So it's like this, only without the typing? Why?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 2.53.24 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	2.8 KB ID:	85321

ETA- this is not Instagram. I like it that way.

So it's like this, only without the typing? Why?

ETA- this is not Instagram. I like it that way.

kind of, you can still search for tags. it's a cleaner search as well. A search for 'beadlock' will get you every single post where it's mentioned, using the tag will only get you the topics started about beadlocks and not all the rest of the posts in those topics

Fwiw
i got nuthin for the tagging thing.
but it seems easier to go to ford, or chevy than domestic or foreign!
if I gotta wade thru 15 makes to find the Toyota tech, I'm gunna be bummed.
But I'm not much on puter wizardry...

Last edited:
Hey, we are all here instead of social media because we want things to stay outdated and difficult, don't go trying to modernize this old girl :flipoff2:​​​​​​

Really though, it's EXTREMELY consolidated compared to the other forum. I think foreign and domestic would be too much. May as well just go back to just gen 4x4.

It does seem like the tech sections are kind of a slow burn, but I'm sure they will pick up as time goes on.

Also, I think I voted wrong on accident :laughing:

kind of, you can still search for tags. it's a cleaner search as well. A search for 'beadlock' will get you every single post where it's mentioned, using the tag will only get you the topics started about beadlocks and not all the rest of the posts in those topics

Seems like a solution in search of a problem...

Besides, change is bad, m'kay?

Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 3.05.11 PM.png

Need a Desert Racing forum

and sxs......:homer:

The domestic and foreign seems dumb.

I would consolidate the classified section.
Jeep section needs way less division.
Seems like the Nissin, Mitushi, Isuzu could go into one forum.

Hey, we are all here instead of social media because we want things to stay outdated and difficult, don't go trying to modernize this old girl :flipoff2:​​​​​​

Really though, it's EXTREMELY consolidated compared to the other forum. I think foreign and domestic would be too much. May as well just go back to just gen 4x4.

It does seem like the tech sections are kind of a slow burn, but I'm sure they will pick up as time goes on.

Also, I think I voted wrong on accident :laughing:

I h8 muds classified section is impossible for browsing

threads and never organized enough to really make that work. Can't say how many times I found tech in threads nothing related to the topic.

I think if anything merge the Jeep sub forums into just one Jeep forum like you were discussing a few months ago.

i have a Jeep. I don’t really want to wade thru posts about Chevy, Ford, yota, Dodge, etc. but I wouldn’t mind seeing all the Jeep stuff on one page rather than cycling thru a couple different forums. Would also increase traffic and active posts in the Jeep area.

I h8 muds classified section is impossible for browsing

I thought the old place was poorly organized also.

Axles, tires and wheels was a large majority of the classified traffic. Search for 35" tires and get a ton of 35 spline results, or visa versa. I think axles and tires/wheels could have been separated.

Similar story in vehicles and trailers. Maybe a separate tow rigs/trailers and offroad rig section.

Towards the end it was all pretty dead anyway. A large majority of what I buy and sell is just word of mouth these days. CL and FB are a joke.

I guess I’m not allowed to create new tags. Probably a good call. I definitely wasn’t trying to tag a thread “harddickmakemehorny” or anything

:flipoff2:

I also got denied. I dont have permissions to create new tags, "Jimmyflatratesucks", will have to wait.

If I want to click on tags, I’ll go on Instagram. This is just gheying this place up and making it more like the places that people come here to get away from.

Personal opinion, merging all domestic or foreign would seriously suck. I have a Jeep. I want to see Jeep posts, not Big Gay Truck Land posts :flipoff2:

Consolidation is a good idea. Can we get the TP as a sub forum off shitshat?

Can you make it so we can right-click the "quote" button on a post? I often do that to put something in another tab while I finish the page and then respond, or sometimes put together multiple ones manually to have a multi-quote.

As it is now, I have to remember which post to go back to when I reach the bottom of the page, then right click and open the next page and then scroll back up to left click the quote.

I vote for leaving things exactly how they are. Who wanted it consolidated?

I don't need to wade through a bunch of Jeep posts to get answers to Chevy questions.

Is it possible to require posts in the broader categories to have a "brand" prefix, like the classifieds already have for the states? Then you could use a filter setting to show/hide whatever brands you want.

Top Back Refresh