What's new

Stupid stuff you see at work...

But that's only six axles of parking brake

Ok whatever :laughing:. Still should've held that f'er.

He moved earlier up next to the perimeter So he's not able to roll down again.

The carnage that would've happened if that trailer didn't hook hard left. So bad.

And I completely forgot to swap the sd card on my dash cam to save the video :homer:

Just because that combo has self adjusting slack adjusters doesn't mean they have ever been greased, or checked, or ( gasp ) adjusted.

Self adjusting doesn't mean zero maintenance.

Also, big truck brakes are not duo-servo like on a pickup. Forward or backwards there is no mechanical advantage. They should hold the same either direction.

Just because that combo has self adjusting slack adjusters doesn't mean they have ever been greased, or checked, or ( gasp ) adjusted.

Self adjusting doesn't mean zero maintenance.

Also, big truck brakes are not duo-servo like on a pickup. Forward or backwards there is no mechanical advantage. They should hold the same either direction.
This is the problem. My crusher has old school manual adjusts so we adjust them grease the s cams before ever trip.

Events today bring this one back to mind.
Another "tech" whos been here 30+ years is helping one of the new hire green kids, kids real new other than little bit of work on his own stuff kinda deal. See them hook up a/c machine to a truck in morning and working on it, after lunch i notice they been just kinda standing looking at the machine for quite some time, finally i go over and check in, they say alls fine and just waiting for the machine to finish charging system, i look and it only shows like 0.012 lb charge and not moving, look down and the valves on machine are turned off🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️. Help get them thru that while mess.
Now come today they had truck back in that they both messed with in fri and said a/c dont work again, come to find out they charged it fri and just sent it out, now its got no charge. What do they do?? Charge it and say its good,two hrs after they sent it back in dead. Fuckers just think it needs charged back up and have zero clue how much money they are wasting and no idea where to even begin to check it for a leak. And remember the old dude been here 30+years, now you know why he just does trailers and simple shit.

When he fired it up, I said "dont release the brakes and try to take off. He let out the clutch and gave it some fuel and it almost stalled the truck and wouldn't move. I then watched all the S cams on the trailer axles move back and forth as he released and set the brakes.

He said he's gonna go deliver in Virginia and then put it in the wind back to Mo before the CVSA brake inspection week starts :laughing:

Only thing that makes any sense to me is that he did forget to set the air and it popped when it jackknifed. If it held against the truck pulling like that there's no way it would have started rolling with the brakes applied.

20220821_144109.jpg

Fuck i hate people.

Brakes can have more forward holding power than backward power.

Irrelevant for semi air brakes, and even for self energized brakes that are that way, it's not such a big difference that it shouldn't be able to hold a reasonable load on what looks like a pretty minimal grade.

Small maybe he just set the tractor brakes and not trailer, had it happen before to me and some old school guys get stuck in winter ice mode and dont set trailer brakes without even thinking.

It is simple, on air brakes, no air no go, out of adjustment , no hold or little stopping/ holding power .
1661266361038.png

So I manage our CAPEX projects for our plant. Today our plant manager walks in and asks if I have a wash bay on my 5 year plan.

Of course I say no because no one has ever asked me to put one on the list.

So I start asking questions about this thinking he just wants a concrete pad and some ramps so you can wash the bottom of haul trucks. Nope, full on heated wash bay with drainage that you can use in January.

Quick in my head estimate says that's a $250k project to be able to wash a CAT 770 truck indoors. He comes back with we were thinking this would be like $100k and I don't think we need it big enough put a haul truck in.

Of our non-light vehicle rolling stock 1/3 of it is haul trucks, why would you spend that much money not to be able to wash them? If this is about the little equipment that production isn't cleaning we already have a bay in our garage where you can wash that stuff.

He followed that up with a call 20 minutes later asking why we are spending $70k on a transformer that he signed the capex request for 3 weeks ago. Some days the fact that he keeps our corporate overlords out of our hair just isn't enough.

An obstacle course to keep my siblings out is one thing, a ramp at work to drive across is an very different thing...

Aaron Z
you new to the new job sites?
I'm surprised that the operator didn't try this at full extend the trebuchet themselves onto the horizon

this is the fun stuff where no one gets hurt

now go make this guy a proper obstacle course :grinpimp::laughing:

Why go that high vs just going up to the height of the other floor?

Aaron Z

Protecting the edge of the finished slab. And to make the transition from the sloped finished slab, to the flat slab on the other side easier.

They just did it again too, plumbers this time. The other lifts will go over it no problem. I had to lift it with a Burke bar, jam 2x4 under the tires, and tell them not to try again.

Protecting the edge of the finished slab. And to make the transition from the sloped finished slab, to the flat slab on the other side easier.

They just did it again too, plumbers this time. The other lifts will go over it no problem. I had to lift it with a Burke bar, jam 2x4 under the tires, and tell them not to try again.
Seems like 2-3" of height over the new slab would be plenty, but that looks to be 5-6" over the new slab.

Aaron Z

Top Back Refresh