What's new

Stupid stuff you see at work...

Bringing this back up... Full size 25' tape measure on the ways for reference

IMG-5420.jpg

IMG-5418.jpg
WOW.

Spindle break? How?

Need more pics of that, and more details. What was being built? Bed length?

Break looks like overhanging load, probably just overloaded a few times too many.

Still pretty impressive. I'm sure that made a good noise when it went.

WOW.

Spindle break? How?

Need more pics of that, and more details. What was being built? Bed length?
26" dia x 240" long solid aluminum. We turn them down after casting to customer specified diameter for forging or extrusion. Just ripping bark off trees basically. These poor old lathes run 24/7/365.

Spindle broke. I'll grab a couple more pics tomorrow when we pull it apart. The smaller spindles fatigue as the billets have a bunch of runout in as-cast condition. I'm talking inches of runout sometimes. That's a mid-sized lathe here, largest diameter we turn is 42" x 240"

iirc ain't you the guy with a whole passle of huge lathes, and when they shit the gears outta the headstock they get a big chain drive glommed onto them?

Two weeks ago I implemented a loaner set up for servo motors. Jumped through hoops to make it happen, went to maintenance and asked for a crate that would be up to the par of shipping all the fuck over. I get one, question it but am told (despite what I know) it is good. Send it to CA with a loaner, they send theirs back for service work. I pick it up out of the golf cart (shipped to different building) and bottom falls out. $40,000 Servo slide falls on the floor! Fuck me right.

Today a PM gets an email with specs for a decoiler. Customer wants 10k lb capacity. We offer 3500/5000 lb options as standard. She askes if our 3500lb cap decoiler can handle the customers 10k lb material.... Yea how is that engineering degree panning out...

I would post photos but like my job- despite this shit.

Common sense is not common enough

Your not kidding!

I had to look a couple times to find the tape measure. I was looking for something MUCH bigger thinking that was a "normal" size lathe.

Yup, I was like " dumbass mentioned a tape measure, then didnt include the pic with a tape mea... holy shit"

26" dia x 240" long solid aluminum. We turn them down after casting to customer specified diameter for forging or extrusion. Just ripping bark off trees basically. These poor old lathes run 24/7/365.

Spindle broke. I'll grab a couple more pics tomorrow when we pull it apart. The smaller spindles fatigue as the billets have a bunch of runout in as-cast condition. I'm talking inches of runout sometimes. That's a mid-sized lathe here, largest diameter we turn is 42" x 240"

we have a local guys that extrudes aluminum. I always wondered why the billets look like they were turned, because they are lol. He only has little presses 8” 10” 11” 12” according the the signs on the road.

Form die.

The round shiny things are lifters and belong there.

The bolt, not so much.

In all fairness it’s only an inch too long…

aaa.jpeg

Last edited:
iirc ain't you the guy with a whole passle of huge lathes, and when they shit the gears outta the headstock they get a big chain drive glommed onto them?

Yep, we use belts though. Chains don't slip when the operators try and rip a 2" cut

we have a local guys that extrudes aluminum. I always wondered why the billets look like they were turned, because they are lol. He only has little presses 8” 10” 11” 12” according the the signs on the road.
Good chance they came from here or our GA facility.

as a former machinist that gave me the heebie jeebies seeing that chuck broken off with the material laying on the ways. how much noise did that make when it broke? what RPM was it turning? if i was the operator I prolly would have crapped myself. :laughing:

as a former machinist that gave me the heebie jeebies seeing that chuck broken off with the material laying on the ways. how much noise did that make when it broke? what RPM was it turning? if i was the operator I prolly would have crapped myself. :laughing:
350 RPM. You could probably hardly hear it over the rest of the noise in the plant.

I bought a cclb f350 rolling chassis that came from west Texas, had a cab fire, upon further inspection, it also has a broken t case, front yoke, and a brake line wrapped around the front drive shaft. I'm kinda curious which happened first:homer:
Since pretty much the same carnage happened to my Jeep while I was driving gown the road at 60 mph. I can tell you that the ujoint at the rear of the front driveshaft/transfer case was the 1st thing to let go, which then caused the rest of the damage. It also ripped out the fuel line on my Jeep. I was very lucky that it did not catch on fire since the shaft was flopping around and putting off all kinds of sparks.

Fucking deckhands

Attachments

• D031E29D-499C-4966-B20A-07DF3352B168.jpeg
    D031E29D-499C-4966-B20A-07DF3352B168.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 514
Yep, we use belts though. Chains don't slip when the operators try and rip a 2" cut
Pics of bigass belt?
Toothed I'd assume.

That break looks really discolored, like it was broke 90% of the way through for a very long time.

Pics of bigass belt?
Toothed I'd assume.

That break looks really discolored, like it was broke 90% of the way through for a very long time.
Toothed belts don't generally slip either (unless you do something really stoopid with a huge lathe I guess).

electric cord thrown on the ground next to the water while a rope is in the cord hanger
BINGO!!
I built the hanger originally because they wrapped the cord and line around that stainless box which has controls for the power reels(fuel/water/sewage) below deck. Then the next day I came out to find it all laying on the deck. Made the hanger to keep this from happening anymore. Wrapped the shore power cord around it and then the line on top so they could see what it was for. Came out 2 days later to find that. Deckhands are lazy as fuck and just as mindless. Some have a head on their shoulders but most are mouth breathers. Re wrapped it up yesterday. Boat at that berth isn’t running this week so we shall see what it looks like next week. When I first started here I never understood why my friend(who worked here til a year ago) despised deckhands so much. It didn’t take long to see why.

Top Back Refresh