What's new

Stupid stuff you see at work...

New CTL marketing campaign...

1715199380400.png

8.3 natural aspirated Cummins. That cracked exhaust manifold is supposed to be liquid cooled but it don’t hold liquid no more.
Never seen a liquid cooled on a non-marine engine.

Is that for some sort of actual cooling related reasons or to get the heat into the coolant and out of the enclosure like it is in a marine engine?

Never seen a liquid cooled on a non-marine engine.

Is that for some sort of actual cooling related reasons or to get the heat into the coolant and out of the enclosure like it is in a marine engine?
It’s to keep radiant heat down on other things. The constant radiant heat kills coolant hoses, alternators, spark plug wires. I wouldn’t doubt that liquid cooled manifolds exist for our uses because of marine applications first though. I’ve always assumed our liquid cooled manifolds exist because they put these engines in commercial boats somewhere. The exhaust temp averages 900° and that temp 24 hours a day likes to crystallize things like the valve cover gaskets and other soft seals nearby.

I'm a contract R&D lab tech for a company who does lots of navy/dod/darpa stuff. I also act as the general get shit done guy. When I got into the lab yesterday one of the staff engineers gave me the keys to a knew building I guess we are relocating to on the same campus and told me to assess it.... Yeah.... Our current lab is in a very nice building, full climate/humidity/air quality controls that's important for our work since a bunch is about generating drinking water. I guess they think I can make this shithole work. There's not one fully intact wall panel or roof section
20240507_100959.jpg

20240507_100449.jpg

Got a nice view from the outside I guess?
20240507_103358.jpg

Screw that. The other department that is in such a hurry to get your space should go into garbagecanville.

I'd start confirming acceptable temperature and humidity ranges for reagents and lab equipment. Find a reason to not move into that junk.

I do ag research in unconditioned pole barns and fields and would refuse to move lab equipment into that.

Screw that. The other department that is in such a hurry to get your space should go into garbagecanville.

I'd start confirming acceptable temperature and humidity ranges for reagents and lab equipment. Find a reason to not move into that junk.

I do ag research in unconditioned pole barns and fields and would refuse to move lab equipment into that.
What blows is the other department (the .gov) can kick us the fuck out at a moments notice. I guess they are putting a 150 foot long steam debarking machine in where our lab is currently.

Edit: I'm laughing at garbagecanville. Lol. I had the grounds supe on the phone and was asking about water and power, hes like yep. Do what you have to do.... Uhh. Okay. What about all the garbage cans? It's your problem if you are taking the building..... Fuck.

Last edited:
What blows is the other department (the .gov) can kick us the fuck out at a moments notice. I guess they are putting a 150 foot long steam debarking machine in where our lab is currently.

Edit: I'm laughing at garbagecanville. Lol. I had the grounds supe on the phone and was asking about water and power, hes like yep. Do what you have to do.... Uhh. Okay. What about all the garbage cans? It's your problem if you are taking the building..... Fuck.
Move the garbage cans into your old building :evil:

If you have a local residential trash collector I’m sure they would pick up the lot of them for 5-10 a can.

They charge 20 deposit and a dollar a month rental here on cans if you don’t provide your own.

Top Back Refresh