What's new

Stupid stuff you see at work...

Remember the 90s TV show called Get a life?

A 35yr old adult male with a paper route living with his parents?

That was basically Ron, but with machinery.
I worked with one of those, late 30's and his peak was changing oil at the Ford dealer. Missing at least one finger due to a fireworks "incident" and would always tell us about how he "ain't no felon" despite very much not having any gun rights after shooting his wife's car during an argument.

I worked with one of those, late 30's and his peak was changing oil at the Ford dealer. Missing at least one finger due to a fireworks "incident" and would always tell us about how he "ain't no felon" despite very much not having any gun rights after shooting his wife's car during an argument.
That was a reminder I could have done without. Worked with a fucktard missing his thumb and most of his forefinger down to a nub on his left hand. Wow, that must have been a bad one. No, he says, it was two. The first time was working in an ice plant and he stuck his finger up in an auger to clear a jam. Well that was fucking stupid. Yeah it was but not as stupid as running a Skilsaw across my thumb.

Watching him try to use a grinder was painful.

That was a reminder I could have done without. Worked with a fucktard missing his thumb and most of his forefinger down to a nub on his left hand. Wow, that must have been a bad one. No, he says, it was two. The first time was working in an ice plant and he stuck his finger up in an auger to clear a jam. Well that was fucking stupid. Yeah it was but not as stupid as running a Skilsaw across my thumb.

Reminds me of a guy I once worked with that was missing a thumb. First time the thumb was cut off was from a table saw mishap. No big deal, dr’s re-attached it and all was good. Second time was when he had the amazing idea to hold a small piece of wood while another guy used a hand-held router to trim it. There was no re-attaching that mess. Same thumb as first time too.

I’m sorry but if a supplier is supplying shit doesn’t that make the contract null and void. Either you provide fuel that will work for us or I go buy from someone else. Is this a .gov operation?
I don’t know the details so I’m not going
to speculate. As for the 2nd question, Technically yes it is
Seems like that setup is doing what it's supposed to do. How fine are the filters?
Yes it’s definitely doing it’s job. Filters on the boats are lasting much longer and haven’t had to change them every few days like before. Looked up the part number on the filters and they are 4 micron.

There is a guy that did flooring jobs for us(epoxy decorative stuff) that had like 2 mangled fingers on one hand and that was it. Apparently when he was younger he held an m80 and didn’t get rid of it in time or it went off prematurely or something. Wasn’t pretty to look at

I saw a guy working with some brick masons that would load bricks into a bucket and hoist the bucket up to the masons on the scaffolding. The bucket was attached to a rope and went over a pulley up top.
The guy doing that had no thumbs and three fingers on his right hand!:eek:
I never learned what happened to him.

I saw a guy working with some brick masons that would load bricks into a bucket and hoist the bucket up to the masons on the scaffolding. The bucket was attached to a rope and went over a pulley up top.
The guy doing that had no thumbs and three fingers on his right hand!:eek:
I never learned what happened to him.

I knew a brick layer that was missing his middle and ring finger @ the palm on his left hand. Never skipped a beat after a year or so. Took them off with a skill saw

Where are you getting coils from? Or are you guys producing them?
Forgot to reply to this.

We buy from coils plus and another outfit I disremember the name of for other stuff.

We have a single press that can use 120K plus pounds in a 24hr shift. Probably 20 other presses also thrown in the mix.

05AEE37B-0DE9-4C9E-8867-A0DF1C67A036.jpeg

Boss: what do you think we should do?
Me: leave it on the truck and have them send another one
Boss: nah, we can’t do that. Unload it and inventory all missing parts with this parts breakdown I printed instead of the actual contents of the boxes.
Me: ...........great.

it’s a total no win situation. Maybe it’ll work. We’ll see I guess.

Would leave on truck, email pic to manufacturer. Let them sort it out. If manu inspects it, says it works, repacks and it shows up not looking like a yardsale, I would then unload it. I tend to think the manufacturer would be pissed thier stuff shows up to the client like that. Trucking companies suck and are just getting worse.

Agreed. There is no way I would have signed for that with out talking to manufacturer. Trucking companies love guys like your boss.

Reactions: Clb

Boss: nah, we can’t do that. Unload it and inventory all missing parts with this parts breakdown I printed instead of the actual contents of the boxes.

Inventory the part number for the whole thing and send the company a bill. I rejected a flammable cylinder cabinet because it had a big scratch in the back side of the aluminum. It was all the way from New York. You pay for something unfucked up and expect nothing less. Don’t take damaged goods

Last edited:
depends on the circumstances

easy for an employee to say fawk that shit send it back, if the employer needs it yesterday to make money and its only small parts missing/broken that can be ups overnighted then it makes more sense to take possession of it and start getting it installed/ready to be used. a lot of industries also have months long backlogs on things, if you send it back are you gonna get a replacement any time soon? lots of factors play into making decisions

if youre not in a hurry to put it to use then yea send that shit back

wtf is it?

I used to work for an aftermarket brake parts manufacturer, out R&D office was on the second floor. We had a new guy moving some sample dually rotors back downstairs one day…he had 5 of ‘em stacked on a hand truck and I see him heading for the stairs dragging the hand truck behind him. Luckily I got him stopped by the time his feet touched the send step, or that 500lbs of rotors would have aided his descent significantly.

I used to work for an aftermarket brake parts manufacturer, out R&D office was on the second floor. We had a new guy moving some sample dually rotors back downstairs one day…he had 5 of ‘em stacked on a hand truck and I see him heading for the stairs dragging the hand truck behind him. Luckily I got him stopped by the time his feet touched the send step, or that 500lbs of rotors would have aided his descent significantly.
:eek::laughing:

You are way too kind:lmao:

I move 300-500lb on a hand truck fairly frequently. Down stairs is no big deal so long as you come to a stop on each stair and the stairs can take it.

There is no dually truck rotor that weight 100lb. 50, maybe. Nothing bigger than a step van or motorhome chassis is using an integrated hub and rotor.

Sounds like we've found the office safety nazi.

easy for an employee to say fawk that shit send it back, if the employer needs it yesterday to make money and its only small parts missing/broken that can be ups overnighted then it makes more sense to take possession of it and start getting it installed/ready to be used. a lot of industries also have months long backlogs on things, if you send it back are you gonna get a replacement any time soon? lots of factors play into making decisions

wtf is it?
It’s a very over complicated lift gate.

only a couple things missing/broken. No big deal. 🤣

0669AED7-2C3F-47D5-8D3A-51207978E09A.jpeg

I was going to say, 500lbs and a stairs is no big deal, and also that 100lbs/rotor seems excessive but wtf do i know?

I can see a shitshow of rotors banging/bouncing/rolling down the stairs after they throw themselves off the handtruck on the 3rd stair though.

I was going to say, 500lbs and a stairs is no big deal, and also that 100lbs/rotor seems excessive but wtf do i know?

I can see a shitshow of rotors banging/bouncing/rolling down the stairs after they throw themselves off the handtruck on the 3rd stair though.
Yeah that's about the only thing I'd be worried about. But if they nest well enough to survive the first stair they're probably fine.

taking the hand truck down the stairs wouldn't be too bad if he had the truck on the stairs below him. I would think him going first and pulling the hand truck down after him would be a quick way to get runthefuckover! lol

wtf is it?

It is easy for management to authorize unload of damaged goods as they wont be the one that has to track down missing items, figure out how it was supposed to be installed and get it working. Quite often, the time it takes to do all that exceeds the time to ship back to manuf and return. All the while, it is in the way and soaking up manpower tracking down parts and fixing the thing. The lost costs to unloading a trucking abortion usually exceed any "get r dun" hope that might be. Well, unless you are taking delivery on something like bar stock that really cant be damaged. I am assuming we are considering complex assemblies.

When you say "only small parts missing", that is exceedingly difficult to determine when a complex assembly is still in the truck and obviously not "as shipped". Unloading is a crapshoot, where you are hoping it is only a few small parts missing, but it could be complex controllers and such smashed. Since the shipping contract is between the trucker and the manuf, you have no recourse other than to refuse delivery on a damaged item.

Would leave on truck, email pic to manufacturer. Let them sort it out. If manu inspects it, says it works, repacks and it shows up not looking like a yardsale, I would then unload it. I tend to think the manufacturer would be pissed thier stuff shows up to the client like that. Trucking companies suck and are just getting worse.
That would make sense. But the people transporting do not really have a way to deal with it that way. you take it, note the damage. and start a claim. We run into this at my work all the time since we have a parts dept, and a LOT of shit comes here by freight.

I used to drive a delivery truck (once) I find it AMAZING how these companies ALLOW the blatant disregard for the products they cary!
At least every third box I get bigger than a basketball or over #5 looks like they gave it to the amco monkies to play basketball with!
NO Way that delivery was complete!

I had a DoAll 916 saw show up alot like that a few years ago.

IMG_20160722_105147816_HDR_zpshojahsva.jpg
IMG_20160722_105206357_HDR_zpsvzwu242k.jpg

I refused it. Driver looked like he was going to get fired unless I signed for it. He had me talk to his boss on his phone for him explaining I wanted nothing to do with the mess their company made.

A new one showed up a week later. It put us behind a little, but less than accepting that mess and fixing it.

I had a DoAll 916 saw show up alot like that a few years ago.

IMG_20160722_105147816_HDR_zpshojahsva.jpg
IMG_20160722_105206357_HDR_zpsvzwu242k.jpg

I refused it. Driver looked like he was going to get fired unless I signed for it. He had me talk to his boss on his phone for him explaining I wanted nothing to do with the mess their company made.

A new one showed up a week later. It put us behind a little, but less than accepting that mess and fixing it.
Was that a brand new saw and it showed up scratched all to hell and mashed?:eek:

That would make sense. But the people transporting do not really have a way to deal with it that way. you take it, note the damage. and start a claim.

How are you going to start a claim? Shipping contract doesnt include you. Which is why the shipping co wants you to offload and sign for it so badly. As soon as you do, the problem is yours, the shipping contract is complete and they can claim full payment. Meanwhile, you are stuck dealing with the problem instead of the dummies that seem better at damaging than trucking. Trucking keeps finding new and lower levels of competency because people continue to allow them to do so. Hold them responsible for their incompetency by denying delivery, then the company you purchased from has full right to file claims against the trucking company.

Was talking with co-workers the other day while we were surmising the location of an oversized item the trucking company "lost" and were imagining a trucking yard somewhere with an endless amount of random items that were never delivered or damaged and undeliverable. Island of broken toys.

How are you going to start a claim? Shipping contract doesnt include you. Which is why the shipping co wants you to offload and sign for it so badly. As soon as you do, the problem is yours, the shipping contract is complete and they can claim full payment. Meanwhile, you are stuck dealing with the problem instead of the dummies that seem better at damaging than trucking. Trucking keeps finding new and lower levels of competency because people continue to allow them to do so. Hold them responsible for their incompetency by denying delivery, then the company you purchased from has full right to file claims against the trucking company.

Was talking with co-workers the other day while we were surmising the location of an oversized item the trucking company "lost" and were imagining a trucking yard somewhere with an endless amount of random items that were never delivered or damaged and undeliverable. Island of broken toys.
You contact the vendor who is the customer. We do it all the time.

Top Back Refresh