What's new

Stock Market 2020

good bad or indifferent, noticed i had $2k sitting in the bank (my wife pays the bills so i don't regularly keep up on it) so figured "what the hell" and bought a bunch of XOM @~41/. 'cuz they've currently got just over an 8% Div yield and likely a bit of upside left in them.

i had planned on just padding the BP stuff and i might do that later still. guess i should be an adult and start investing a bit more actively. don't think i'll hit the 100% overall average gain i've seen this year again anytime soon, but if i'm going to have some money just sitting for no reason, better there than elsewhere.

edit: things finally turned down overall today, so while in my head that seems like a reasonable time to buy back in to companies that never bounced as high as everything else, it also probably means i'll end up losing a good bit before winning, if at all :rasta:

Last edited:
Provience take a look at EPD also, 8.574% dividend yield. They have been doing well for me this last month.

just did a little bit of reading on them, sounds like another regional O/G supplier dealio similar to WES and SPH.

i'm down for it, those are the types of people that i like because they aren't entirely market makers, more of market reactors. kind of like small/mid banks they get beat up when the big guys drop despite often having much stronger balance sheets.

edit: if nothing else, this seems like the time to move stuff into long term/div areas until i no-shit have a use for the cash. banking and oil/gas are still lagging behind the pre-covid prices despite DJIA setting records, and i think much of that is related to the pandemic slow paced oil, which is less likely to result in Nat Gas drops based on small O/G's beating earnings estimates and such, while banking is in some weird flux despite strong home sales and high savings rates but i think "the market" is overly concerned about looming foreclosures.

Last edited:
Provience take a look at EPD also, 8.574% dividend yield. They have been doing well for me this last month.

I’m also invested in EPD, it’s still at an investable price IMO. I’m heavy on cash waiting for a correction, or value plays. I’m really waiting for summer when we should see some REO properties start popping up. With a 6 month backlog I’m hoping to score some deals.

ABNB going public today. Should be fun. I predict it fails. People like me and my family have been screwed by hosts canceling our reservation then jacking the price up for the same weekend with no protection for us. "sorry I canceled your reservation due to finding out its a major tourist weekend that weekend and my $25 room can go for $300.

ABNB going public today. Should be fun. I predict it fails. People like me and my family have been screwed by hosts canceling our reservation then jacking the price up for the same weekend with no protection for us. "sorry I canceled your reservation due to finding out its a major tourist weekend that weekend and my $25 room can go for $300.

seems like a very odd time to try to go public.

seems like a very odd time to try to go public.

During a pandemic where travel is discouraged and people are having "super spreader" events at rented homes....yeah it is. They must REALLY be hurting for money.

I won't touch new IPO's at least for a few months, there was definitely some excitement surrounding ABNB, listed around 100, opened over 140. Looking at the early days of FB, WORK, TWTR are probably clues as to how ABNB will track.

Going public because some of the original investors want to cash out, I know someone who has a cost average less than $10. :eek:. And the investment bankers need their pound of flesh, so time to soak the Robinhood account holders, and the GS whales.

What a couple of weeks, took my single biggest daily loss last week when an Iron Condor failed on me, and instead of being patient I panicked, sold the wrong part of the put spread, and took a high 4 figure loss, only to watch the stock dead cat bounce later in the day, and I would have been able to exit slightly green. No good having a trade plan if I cannot stick to it.

Yesterday - GLSI, supposedly found the cure to cancer or something, because it took off at 28, I missed the breakout, and did not want to chase, so only took a 1000 shares, took profits at 35, 40, and just less than 50. Stock went through more than 24 halts (I never trade once it goes over 3, usually), held a partial and watched it get to over 140. Sold most of the remainder at 124, and final this morning at 93. Left around 50K on the table though, and if my buy order had triggered as planned on the breakout, potentially around 5 times that. My mentor went short late in the day and had some butt clenching moments during the last two halts, but covered at 53, he cleared over 100K yesterday.

SLS tried the same thing today, was a 3 buck stock last week, and hit almost 20 today. One of my better trades as far as scaling in and out, and holding a partial as it consolidated then made a late day run - all out for now. SGMO was also a sympathy play, amazing how quickly the numbers run up with a few thousand shares and the stock moves almost $3 in a few hours. Small position left incase we see continuation tomorrow. VERU was another, not often these low float companies go parabolic on sympathy plays, and they can be risky as heck, but when they do go, the pay off is superb. All 3 contributed to a high 4 figure day, even in the face of option losses in WKHS, SPY and a couple others

As mentioned before, JMIA African Amazon, they announced an additional offering last week, stock retracted below 30, and was over 37 today. Tried to load on options but the pull back never caused the premiums to dip enough, down to last few contracts that I paid 0.86/contract and traded over 15.75 this afternoon. Trying to stretch that into the new year so I can start the balance sheet with a massive green number. Hindsight I should have taken a large position, but the stock was less than $10 when I bought Jan 20 calls, and for those high risk plays I only trade what I can afford to lose entirely.

Good to see SPY and the QQQ's consolidate today, but they also tested some low pivots and finished strong. Possibly we see a gap tomorrow, though there is supposed to be PFE news tonight of some sort, and that could affect the open. Looks like the LULU Iron Condor will pay nicely in the morning ,earnings beat but nothing huge, and no forward earnings given may hurt.

FANG names have been on vacation the last couple weeks, suspect we see rotation into those names in the coming days, at least if we want the bulls to keep running.

Holding a very large position (for me) in PLG, for an overnight hold play. New trade format I have been dabbling in, following a stock that trades on a strong trend all day, and closes at or near the HOD with volume in the last 15 mins. Can be a long or short play, though I favor the longs. If this extended move holds into open I will be done trading before 8am MST tomorrow

And just for Norm, I stopped out most of the GOLD position last week when it went below 25. I had set the stop when I had added to the position, did not adjust, and ended up taking the loss. Meh. Between the vibrant market and BTC hitting highs, there is no love for the precious metals, and I don't have the patience to hold. Will rather hedge with some VXX calls, and some SPY puts, and hope I lose my ass on them.

Bagholding does pay off eventually IF you are patient, I have a large BA position in my wife's IRA I did not exit when the SHTF in March, cost average around 220, nice to see them go green last week. Don't think the run in BA will be enough to help some of my leap options positions that are due to expire in Jan, just managing the trade now to take the least loss possible. Flew Southwest on Sunday AUS - DEN and the plane was full, first time I have seen that since March, the flight Thursday though was not half full but that was late afternoon mid week.

You guys in oil and energy are braver than me, I have some USO positions that will cost more to exit than they are currently worth. Jan options expiry day is going to suck (BA, USO, and a couiple others, but the JMIA options will more than make up for it) I may just exercise 5 of the contracts I have so I can add to the equity position and drop the cost average at the same time. Might be the first time I ever exercise call options.

My position on gold is this

we will see a trillion stimulus package this year

we will see at least one trillion stimulus next year

There is some profit taking in gold short term, but this time next year it’s going much higher in relation to US dollars . The US economy might get back on track late next year, but a lot of damage has been done that will take years to recover. 15% of small businesses are already done. The government will continue to print money and interest rates will be low. None of that is good for the mighty dollar.

kind of a crossover from the other thread where we talked about it.

the wife told me the kid has another grand in his savings account, which is where we kind of just dump money periodically. this is what piled up over a few years and turned into the $4k we put into a CD at 2% for him, because it is rock solid and beats the shit out of the .01% or whatever it earned over the few years it was just chillin'. The market is silly high again for whatever reason, but, in general, banking and energy stocks that i've loosely followed for a decade+ because it is interesting are off their pre-covid peaks.

airlines came back, some of the banks came back, retail came back, i don't know anything about tech, but hell it probably came back. so those are the big drivers that seem to have a whole bunch of the energy at the moment. Ignoring WES that i was able to ride from ~$3 to ~$15, and was likely headed to ~<$20 this time this year anyways, it seems to all be generally leveled off.

I strongly believe there is a housing/real estate shoe waiting to drop and the damned communists with their 'free rent' bullshit are doing their damndest to make it happen. While i would love to park that $1k into a bank that i believe will still be around in 15 years, and also why i should probably just be happy with my ~20% gains on WFC and move away from them, i still think the current level of banks is ripe to drop again in the spring or whenever the DJIA decides it wants to head to 25K again. I don't think they will fall as hard, but i'm still hesitant.

energy is still in a supply side glut. this winter is going to be good for mid level energy suppliers even if it is a la nina year and i don't think they will see nearly as big of a drop off in confidence as banking (right or wrong) will with the next 'reset'

so fuckit, SPH who i shied away from when they were sub $10 has been pretty stable at $15 and yeilds just under 8% ann dividend and is still making money. it might bounce around a bit, but for something to just leave for a while, that seems to make the most sense. once things start to really feel like they are broadly dropping again i'll figure out how to set those sell stop things, and use whatever remains to head on in to mid-good sized stable banks.

right, wrong or indifferent, this is why i'm not shy of energy stocks and not smart enough to understand buy options for the inevitable drop of, say KSS, which broke $41/share the other day and i'm still happy i doubled my money selling it in the low $30's

or ALK, which is ~$50 for what i can only believe was the expected airline bailout, so it will or should lag on the sentiment as that becomes (hopefully) less and less likely.

My position on gold is this

we will see a trillion stimulus package this year

we will see at least one trillion stimulus next year

There is some profit taking in gold short term, but this time next year it’s going much higher in relation to US dollars . The US economy might get back on track late next year, but a lot of damage has been done that will take years to recover. 15% of small businesses are already done. The government will continue to print money and interest rates will be low. None of that is good for the mighty dollar.

fully agree on all that jazz :smokin:

I’m also invested in EPD, it’s still at an investable price IMO. I’m heavy on cash waiting for a correction, or value plays. I’m really waiting for summer when we should see some REO properties start popping up. With a 6 month backlog I’m hoping to score some deals.

I'm putting more $ into RKT, I think it's a good buy at under $20.

Thanks to you guys I looked at EPD and RKT a week ago and opened positions in both. Seem like good long-term holdings, which is what I like. Already up nicely on RKT and EPD is up a little.

Not sure what to think on holding RKT when the real estate/mortgage market cool off. But there seems to be no signs of that happening any time soon. Maybe when the Fed starts raising or the 10yr and 30yr Bonds start yielding something it will be time to reassess and maybe take profits.

Last edited:
Thanks to you guys I looked at EPD and RKT a week ago and opened positions in both. Seem like good long-term holdings, which is what I like. Already up nicely on RKT and EPD is up a little.

Not sure what to think on holding RKT when the real estate/mortgage market cool off. But there seems to be no signs of that happening any time soon. Maybe when the Fed starts raising or the 10yr and 30yr Bonds start yielding something it will be time to reassess and maybe take profits.

I am up decently on EPD, GOLD is floundering and I am down a few k. Longer term I think GOLD will be back up later 2021.

yeah RKT worked out, bought just under $20, sold just under $23 the other day.

one of the featured/sponsored articles on my little etrade ticker today was about oil and gas optimism for 2021, so that was comforting that somebody semi-professional at least generally agrees with my sentiments from a few days about the fact that they are likely still undervalued a bit, especially compared to the rest of the markets. but hey, anything can happen and i'll probably cash out in a couple months and blow it all on cocaine instead :rasta:

When this pig pops, it will be epic. I will be shorting it all the way down. I would not be afraid to play, but just use caution because it can and probably will go higher before it crashes.

Shorting has always scared me a bit. The thought of unlimited loss goes against my risk tolerance, to say the least. That said, how do you do your shorting? Buy puts, EFTs, or pure short sales? If you are doing actual short sales, what platform are you using?

Shorting has always scared me a bit. The thought of unlimited loss goes against my risk tolerance, to say the least. That said, how do you do your shorting? Buy puts, EFTs, or pure short sales? If you are doing actual short sales, what platform are you using?

I generally buy short index funds like SQQQ. I am sure there are better ways to buy short options with stops.

When this pig pops, it will be epic. I will be shorting it all the way down. I would not be afraid to play, but just use caution because it can and probably will go higher before it crashes.

i know just enough about shorting to lose my ass.

Last edited:
I generally buy short index funds like SQQQ. I am sure there are better ways to buy short options with stops.

I've actually been watching the SQQQ for about a month now. Still feels a bit too early though with all of the positive things going on to lift the market.

indeed, i'm also not smart enough to do short though, so either i'll figure out that stuff or just sit all cash when it does tank after it has dropped a bit.

for today though, still just hanging out. XOM has done well enough (+~2.0%) to offset all my other dips for the day, so i dunnno :rasta:

I've actually been watching the SQQQ for about a month now. Still feels a bit too early though with all of the positive things going on to lift the market.

Holy shit, that max price in 2010:eek:

SQQQ.JPG

Unlimited loss? please don't tell me you enter a trade and leave yourself at risk with NO stop loss orders? That would be the only way you could possibly have an unlimited loss looming if the trade goes against you. Assuming you are not selling naked calls or something really stupid. Do you actually have a trade plan, or are you just gambling because you "feel" the market is too high?

So many ways to short the market. Pure short sales on equity will depend on what platform you are using as to whether shares are available to short or not. The commission free platforms like etrade, Fidelity etc may not have the stock available to short. Centerpoint always has shorts available, but I doubt you trade enough to warrant a Centerpoint account, and paying commissions

Probably easiest is as Norm suggests and using SQQQ or similar

I try not to let my "feels" cloud my judgement, and while we may all wonder why markets are at or near ATH's and feel it is over-valued, I am not seeing any long term technicals that support this view. I would be extremely careful shorting the market at present, and if you do, and are using options I would be at or ITM with as much time as I could buy.

Full disclosure though - I am hedged with some SPY puts dated March 21, but this is a hedge only, and I expect the puts to expire worthless. Even hard core bears on fintwit are taking a beating at the moment. Know your risk and trade accordingly.

Sounds like some are wanting to gamble on the market being high, rather than execute sensible trades based on sound technicals. Your money, your trade plans, and happy to have you explain why I may be wrong.

Top Back Refresh