What's new

Steering and brake upgrades for older tow rigs

When shopping for a hydroboost, keep in mind that depending on the application, the power piston inside varies. A unit from an Astrovan or a smaller van has a smaller piston than a unit from a F-450 or larger vehicle. For this application, I would not bother with the smaller type.

Steering wise, when I added hydro assist in my M715, I was surprised by the improved road manners. Steering became more precise, less side to side axle displacement, added damping and much lower stress on the steering box.

When shopping for a hydroboost, keep in mind that depending on the application, the power piston inside varies. A unit from an Astrovan or a smaller van has a smaller piston than a unit from a F-450 or larger vehicle. For this application, I would not bother with the smaller type.
really? I thought the split was between the automotive sized ones and the medium truck "hydromax" sized ones with the battery powered backup motor

I think there's more graduations in size. If one was to check into 80/90's chev trucks, hydroboost shows up in the full range from Astrovan, 1/2-ton thru to P30HD/3500HD class (i.e. 10-lug 4wheel disc).

So I went to put the hydroboost, booster on and the reman didn't come with a mounting plate. Not a huge deal, as it looks like I can literally just drill 5 holes in a plate.

Looks like the hydroboost plate sets it up higher, which is where the push rod misalignment comes from. I can lower it when I make the plate, to line it up with the vacuum nub, or take the extra time to move the push rod hook up for more leverage. Those who are running it without moving the nub, is the pedal stiff? Worth the time to move it 1/2"?

Edit: after doing some reading and looking at my fucked up worn out pedal assembly, I'm going to order a new one (~$100-150). Since it will be out, I'll move the pivot up and do the hiem on the clutch master. I did replace the nub on the clut h arm with a welded on bolt and nylock, but the bushing shit out in like 5 miles, not sure how the factory ones made it for the first 300k miles.

Last edited:
Well, I'm about to send this borgeson garbage back. I forgot how much I don't like the little set screws they use and the slip part doesn't slip at all, so I can't install it.

So, what's the best factory model hydroboost? Biggest accumulator, biggest piston?

I am hearing blue accumulator with the large piston.

Anyone have a truck model, like say a 2012 Ford F350 Diesel?

Provience arse_sidewards

Y'all had a great thread on the place that shall not be named.

As far as I’ve read, hydroboosters have same size piston, regardless of make model or year.

I’m not sure about accumulator. I’d think they’re all the ‘same’ too unless there’s some unicorn truck with long pedal stroke, larger accumulator to match the volume required to provide brake assist without engine running at least 1 to 2 times? And/or stronger spring inside where a truck have higher factory power steering pump maximum pressure?

My experience with hydroboosts(?)... F-superduty, P30HD, 3500HD fit a master cyl with a fatter snout. That usually corresponds to a larger bore piston in the master.

HTH

So I got the Tru k back together a while back but haven't been driving it much because I need to drop the money on 2 new batteries :homer:

I'm not sure if using a flat plate and/or my pin placement on my pedal arm is the culprit, but the brake pedal is very high, ~1.5" higher than the clutch :laughing:

I figured with the motion ratio that 1/4" at the booster should move the pedal quite a bit down. My first idea is a piece of 1/4" rubber between the firewall and booster plate. If thats not enough, I'll have to cut up my plate and add an offset to it like the factory one.

Other than that, the steering and brakes are vastly better. Next step will be some new TRE's and rotors/pads. I may look into some upgraded factory rotors so I don't have to dive into the bigger brake rabbit hole.

So I'm leaning towards swapping 99-04 F550 knuckles onto my axle, ditching the dually adapters and running 8x170 wheels (with a 10.5 to match the rear)

Also curious what size wheels I would need for this. Hoping 18s and not 20s.

The other option would be 13+ rotors and calipers. Has anyone compared the 13+ calipers to the 08-12?

So I'm leaning towards swapping 99-04 F550 knuckles onto my axle, ditching the dually adapters and running 8x170 wheels (with a 10.5 to match the rear)

Also curious what size wheels I would need for this. Hoping 18s and not 20s.

The other option would be 13+ rotors and calipers. Has anyone compared the 13+ calipers to the 08-12?
I did 2013 rotors, calipers and knuckles on my 2005 front. Didn't get pics of the old, but can take measurements if you like? I did fit 18's on it and they're big bitches.

What does the 99-04 F550 knuckle gain you? I have a complete 2004 F550 front here.

Last edited:
The 99-04 450/550 knuckles have the caliper mount bosses spaced out for a larger rotor.

I did 2013 rotors, calipers and knuckles on my 2005 front. Didn't get pics, but can take measurements if you like?

Weird because I remember reading that 95?-04 had the same caliper bolt spacing as 08 to atleast 12, but that 05-07 was different. TrailTamer ?

Can you compare your 13+ stuff to anything else?

What does the 99-04 F550 knuckle gain you? I have a complete 2004 F550 front here.

The ability to run the F550 14.5" brakes. The plan would be to just run regular srw UB setup, unless I'm missing something?

Also, you would be a good one to ask, what is the smallest wheel you can run srw with the 99-04 F550 brakes? Most seem to just go 20s, but I'd like to use 18s.

The 99-04 450/550 knuckles have the caliper mount bosses spaced out for a larger rotor.

Yes, I have found that to be pretty clear. I wasn't sure on the 05+ 450/550 vs 250/350 though. I know the knuckles are larger, so I'd imagine the caliper mounts are further out as well.

Is where I got most of my info from.

To be clear, I was trying to learn, not cast doubt.

I have had 18's on my 2013+ F350 brakes, which are bigger than the 2003 F550 brakes, but they do have a different offset than the 1999-2004 wheels

Yes, I have found that to be pretty clear. I wasn't sure on the 05+ 450/550 vs 250/350 though. I know the knuckles are larger, so I'd imagine the caliper mounts are further out as well.
The ears are further apart between those two examples.

Is where I got most of my info from.

To be clear, I was trying to learn, not cast doubt.

I have had 18's on my 2013+ F350 brakes, which are bigger than the 2003 F550 brakes, but they do have a different offset than the 1999-2004 wheels

I think we're all learning here. I'm not 100% sure that I can mount the 99-04 F550 knuckles on my 97 axle, but everything I've read says that the inner C's are the same for all those "pre 05" BJ D60s.

Maybe looking at 13+ rotors and calipers would make more sense as it would be slightly less of a hodge podge.

You say the 13 F350 rotors are bigger than the 04 F550? Or is it just the caliper design is bigger and bulkier? From what I've read they're 14.53 and 14.36 or something very close.

I think we're all learning here. I'm not 100% sure that I can mount the 99-04 F550 knuckles on my 97 axle, but everything I've read says that the inner C's are the same for all those "pre 05" BJ D60s.

Maybe looking at 13+ rotors and calipers would make more sense as it would be slightly less of a hodge podge.

You say the 13 F350 rotors are bigger than the 04 F550? Or is it just the caliper design is bigger and bulkier? From what I've read they're 14.53 and 14.36 or something very close.
1643241048700.png

According to this, you're right., I am not sure you can fit the later knuckles on the earlier axle either... I think they have a different ball joint spacing and use different ball joints (same as the 2005 and later) Doesn't help me either, I was looking for bigger brakes for the 2003 Ford F550 I have here.

So now we're down to making the later model, bigger brakes fit. Looking for ear measurements and rotor offsets now. Yes, the later rotors are bigger.

According to this, you're right., I am not sure you can fit the later knuckles on the earlier axle either... I think they have a different ball joint spacing and use different ball joints (same as the 2005 and later)

From what I have read, 95-04 is the same inner C F250-550, as well as 94-02 dodge. Same C that currie and dynatrac have been using for a while. I fully understand the 05+ knuckle sizing.

Doesn't help me either, I was looking for bigger brakes for the 2003 Ford F550 I have here.
So now we're down to making the later model, bigger brakes fit. Looking for ear measurements and rotor offsets now. Yes, the later rotors are bigger.

Since they all use the 8x170 patter on the UB, fitting 05+ F550 rotors may be easy, calipers is a whole different can of worms.

What are the diameter of the 13+ F250/350 rotors?

You’re going to get talked into a frame off on this thing soon. :flipoff2:

If I was smart, I'd find a 05+ CCLB Ford 4wd chassis with a Zf6, then put the 12v and my body on.

But, as most know, I'm not that smart :laughing:

But now you’re going to start looking. :laughing:

Since they all use the 8x170 patter on the UB, fitting 05+ F550 rotors may be easy, calipers is a whole different can of worms.
The 05+ 450/550 rotors and UBs are 10x170mm No joke. I have samples.

YotaAtieToo

95-97 OBS F350 D60s’ caliper mounting holes are same as Super Duty’s 1999-2004 D50/60 (99-04 calipers will bolt on 95-97 knuckles, but not advised as pistons can fall out when pads run thin…)

Dana/Ford used shorter caliper mounting bolt holes at least during the 05-12 before going back to 95-04 mounting’s bolt mounting holes distance/spacing.

I want to say we can direct bolt-on the +13’s big 14” brakes to 99-04 knuckles via rotors and calipers. I don’t have parts on me to confirm, though. Can someone on here try and get back to us????

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh