What's new

Spinoff: Who daily drives old vehicles?

mjlogan88

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
GA
Spinoff from the Ford w/o computer thread. Not just drive it to coffee on sundays but drive it to work and errands every day of the week

Must have been originally equipped with at least 2 of the following to qualify

Wing windows
Dimmer switch on the floor
Manual Steering
Manual brakes
Front drum brakes

I'll go first- '62 Ranchero 170 6cyl 4 spd.

IMG-5242.jpg

Last edited:
I dd my 1972 c10 anytime of the year there is no salt on the roads. I put ps and power brakes on it. It was getting old without it. Pulled the points out and put a hei distributor in it. I put 10k a year or so on it. Just pulled it out of the garage last weekend and changed oil. I’m doing parts runs today with it lol.

Click image for larger version Name:	418B486C-877D-4CA8-9BDB-B2C13711FCAF.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	170.0 KB ID:	353526

Must have at least 2 of the following to qualify

Wing windows
Manual Steering
Manual brakes
Front drum brakes

I guess old varies by region? I'd consider my 94 IDI old but it only has vent windows, but I'm in the NE where everything rots away.

1971 FJ55 until I blew a rod:homer:

It covers at least wing windows. I got no time for the rest of your list( I'm EFI, front/rear power DB, power steer) :flipoff2:
At work hanging with the other old car:
camaro55.jpg

In the fast lane setting the flow of traffic:
GreenPass.jpg

I guess old varies by region? I'd consider my 94 IDI old but it only has vent windows, but I'm in the NE where everything rots away.

Rust belt guys get a pass for obvious reasons. IDI is close enough, you've got wing windows and a what would be considered the "carb" of injection pumps.

Basically just wanted to see what cool old stuff people are commuting in

I dd my 1972 c10 anytime of the year there is no salt on the roads. I put ps and power brakes on it. It was getting old without it. Pulled the points out and put a hei distributor in it. I put 10k a year or so on it. Just pulled it out of the garage last weekend and changed oil. I’m doing parts runs today with it lol.

filedata/fetch?id=353526&d=1616434056

I so dig your Chevy. what's with the hood having paint on one side and patina on the other?

My first truck was a '70 C10 long bed. not a straight body panel on it. it was a local farm truck that I bought for $700 with less than 70k on it. I would love to kick my 16yo ass for wrecking that truck.

1971 FJ55 until I blew a rod:homer:

It covers at least wing windows. I got no time for the rest of your list( I'm EFI, front/rear power DB, power steer) :flipoff2:

Tweaked the requirements to cover you, dig the pic in the fast lane :smokin:

Tweaked the requirements to cover you, dig the pic in the fast lane :smokin:

It is a fun daily driver except for the fact that everyone gets their panties in a wad when I pass them. I've lost count of the people I've passed while I'm doing 70mph that decided to bump their speed to 75mph:rolleyes:

I DDed this thing for a few years before I had to sell it because my wife wouldn't ride in it with me. 1981 VW caddy with 16v motor swap, gti transmission and some choice maserati biturbo rims. :laughing: Wind wings glued shut to prevent the annoying whistling they had been giving off when I got it. It sounded like an angry kazoo and was fun as hell to drive. Kind of miss it, but my wife still talks shit about it.

t6jNlWth.jpg

Does my '96 Tahoe count? NJ salt air and salt roads don't lend well to older cars around here, unless garage kept.

I so dig your Chevy. what's with the hood having paint on one side and patina on the other?

My first truck was a '70 C10 long bed. not a straight body panel on it. it was a local farm truck that I bought for $700 with less than 70k on it. I would love to kick my 16yo ass for wrecking that truck.

no idea. Someone must have started to restore it and sanded half the hood and cab. I bought it like this. No plans on changing anything lol.

Click image for larger version Name:	20180924_183014.jpg Views:	0 Size:	400.8 KB ID:	353590
Manual steering and a 38/38 weber carb but I bet this rig beats your ass worse than a clapped out 62 galaxy. All urethane bushings, slammed as fawk with 1 ton torsion bars and sway bars with stuff shocks makes it an absolute riot if your kidneys can hang. :laughing:

Last edited:
Does my '96 Tahoe count? NJ salt air and salt roads don't lend well to older cars around here, unless garage kept.

I'm driving shit that's a few years older and I live a few states north of you.

So no. :flipoff2:

Well i'm DDing a 72 K10 right bow, it has power steering and brakes and front discs but ticks every other box. I pass other vehicles regularly on a 65 MPH 2 lane Highway with it too. Have to remember to cancel the left turn signal, it stays on and the right signal only works if you hold it. Fixing that's on the list but low priority.

Spinoff from the Ford w/o computer thread. Not just drive it to coffee on sundays but drive it to work and errands every day of the week

Must have been originally equipped with at least 2 of the following to qualify

Wing windows
Manual Steering
Manual brakes
Front drum brakes

I'll go first- '62 Ranchero 170 6cyl 4 spd.

I'm surprised you still aren't rocking that IDI with the camper.

Ditto rust belt here. I would if I could, but for now, drive what is disposable and save other vehicles for summer.

I've had this since 2017 and it was my only vehicle until last May. I bought a 2012 Lexus IS250 for the MPG and to have something to drive while working on the truck (occasional 1.5-3 hour trips) but it's often gone 2-4 weeks without being driven.

The truck is a 1978 F150 4x4 regular cab short bed, 400/c6/np205 stock (but rebuilt) axles and gearing. Everything mechanical has been rebuilt/replaced except the transmission and transfer-case. Has some rust problems but that's the lowest on my priority list. I have a Vintage air kit on the way, next up is hydro-boost. Waiting for a contract renewal and I'll sell the Lexus to buy a tow rig and start the 1-ton-and-40's swap on the F150 (already have the axles).

PXL_20210114_024727292.NIGHT.jpg

summertime count?

Absolutely. Love those Novas

I realize other states have things like winter and salt. Just trying to weed out the garage queens. Some bitchin stuff so far, keep them coming

Top Back Refresh