What's new

Spinoff: Who daily drives old vehicles?

April through October, again, because rust belt.
I make it a point to only have one truck with rust.
Wing windows and floor dimmer.

IMG_2018-07-20_08-23-38.jpeg

So some of these old rides are :smokin: What happens when some inattentive fuckstick playing with their phone smashes your vintage sheetmetal that isn't available in a scrapyard anymore?

I'd be pissed.....this keeps me from trying to DD anything even remotely not a throw away appliance car.

I drive my J300/M715 as much as I can.

Last November I drove it from Connecticut to Seattle, then to San Diego... Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas... Then to Florida and back to Connecticut. 11,000 miles in 3-1/2 weeks. 18 MPG :flipoff2:

IMAG1375.jpg

IMAG1470.jpg

IMAG1332.jpg

Last edited:
DD'd my 76 911 all winter long, (no AC, no bueno in Vegas summers). It had manual steering, manual brakes and originally had wind wing doors until I replaced them with more modern power doors.

X6100tmp.JPG

So some of these old rides are :smokin: What happens when some inattentive fuckstick playing with their phone smashes your vintage sheetmetal that isn't available in a scrapyard anymore?

I'd be pissed.....this keeps me from trying to DD anything even remotely not a throw away appliance car.

What happens when some inattentive fuckstick playing with their phone smashes your vintage sheetmetal that isn't available in a scrapyard anymore on the 1 day a year your drive your garage trophy? What if? What if? What if?

Id rather enjoy it and risk it.

What happens when some inattentive fuckstick playing with their phone smashes your vintage sheetmetal that isn't available in a scrapyard anymore on the 1 day a year your drive your garage trophy? What if? What if? What if?

Id rather enjoy it and risk it.

That's what I did. Drove it 160,000 miles in 21 years. It was perfect when it came out of the paint shop, but eventually I had to repaint the hood, bumper and air damn from rock chips. You can either worship them or drive them.

Got too many vehicles to consider anything a true daily, and also road salt... However, these two get a lot of miles per year

1988 F150, straight six, 5 speed. Pretty modern by my standards, it has efi and intermittent wipers! But, still has wing windows and foot dimmer.
2021-03-22 20.02.17.jpg

1970 Charger, 318, 5 speed. Entire car was gone through after I got the sort of rolling chassis. Mostly junkyard parts, magnum motor, Dakota nv3500, ford 8.8 rear. Built it to drive, not look shiny. Made a hitch for it, people don't know what to think when you pull a trailer.

2021-03-22 20.04.49.jpg

My 92 f250 450k miles with a zf5 crank windows and a idi. Qualifies for a classic license plate this coming year. I put 20k a year on it as a dd, my company work truck and hauling trailers. I would drive it out of state right now no question
PXL_20201106_190352392.jpg

summertime count?

Winter time count? I only have this around as my winter or hunting beater now. 92 so it’s a first year of things such as diimmer switch on the column off the floor. Best snow/ice machine I’ve ever owned. When the roads are absolutely shit, this is what we drive. It will both go, and stop on our snow packed or icy roads. It was my only wheels for several years after I got divorced. The a/c doesn’t work anymore so I don’t drive it much when it’s hot.

Last edited:
fuckin loved driving my 85 ltd
granted it checks absolutely none of the boxes, but it's the oldest thing I've driven daily because rust killed off all the interesting cars up here
got it free when the front struts rusted out and one of the front wheels folded outwards
5.0, built c4, megasquirt, hx40 (later a 71mm borg), welded 8.8 and a quiet muffler
no subframe connectors, lots of structural rust, and a downpipe that's close enough to the starter that you gotta wait 6 hours after you shut it off for it to start again

I'd still be driving it if 10 mpg didn't suck so hard. Surprised the shit outta one of them turbo mustangs when they first came out, haha. Did absolutely great in the snow and ice with the welded rear. Kinda sucked, whenever I was driving it I'd see hooligans in VWs and hondas, whenever I was driving the compound turbo golf I'd see hooligans in mustangs.

Last edited:
Yep, I love driving my old junk everyday. I actually hate newer vehicles, especially any that are electric throttles. Can't stand it. Current daily driver is a 72 scamp. Slant six, manual 4 wheel drums, still running a points distributor too. Has a butt ton of rust. Water literally pours into the trunk by the gallon when it rains, front floors get wet too. Wipers don't work so it makes it interesting when it lightly sprinkles or rain. I just stick my arm behind the instrument cluster and kinda yank on the linkage to wipe once. Hah. It's gonna get a turbo in the next couple weeks. 36hp is fun and all but I need at least 50rwhp.

lfX5tKNh.jpg

o4966pDh.jpg

What happens?
You spend $10.000.00 of their $$$ redoing the ltc damage done (note the raw steel fender on that Shovel)!
Cuz they don't have an appraiser knowledgeable in that field.
Pat nice 80"!

1971 FJ55 until I blew a rod:homer:

It covers at least wing windows. I got no time for the rest of your list( I'm EFI, front/rear power DB, power steer) :flipoff2:
At work hanging with the other old car:

In the fast lane setting the flow of traffic:

windwings... they are called windwings....

Been driving this Geo every day since I got it and lifted it. 91’ with 170,000 miles on it. Needs a belt, water pump, and clutch fan job, but it can wait. :flipoff2:

Also need to put some street tires on this tank.

For the boxes the thing has manual steering and a distributor, but not points. 5 speed manual with big SXS tires is way harder to drive than the 84’ Bronco with dimmer switch on the floor and wing windows.

A14A6C48-E649-4482-9DF0-943B3D71DBFF.jpeg

Last edited:
Only ticks the carb box but it is 36 years old

I love it man! Only Ford I've ever owned was a 1984 Mustang GT350. It probably had the weakest 302 ever in it, but damn I still loved it. I'm really hoping to get another fox body one day, would actually prefer a 4 eyed car. But if it doesn't come with a good 302, I'll probably put a Mopar engine in it.

Guess it's because I was born in 81, so of course the most badass/fastest street cars at the time I was a young teenager was fox bodies. I've lost count of how many bad ass FB cars I rode in as a teen, and even got to drive a few of them. Even though I am a Mopar guy through and through, I will always have a soft spot for a nice FB.

Just daily drove my 71 k20 for 2 weeks. I hit a huge pothole in my regular dd and bent/cracked 2 rims. I drive way to far to dd it regularly. 4 speed manual in stop and go traffic and over $30 dollars a day in gas gets old in a hurry. But after sitting for 2 years, it never missed a beat other than clogging the fuel filter.

Yep, I love driving my old junk everyday. I actually hate newer vehicles, especially any that are electric throttles. Can't stand it. Current daily driver is a 72 scamp.

I feel the same way, I have a pretty nice '03 chevy truck that has not moved since I got the Ranchero on the road. Mine probably makes about 36 HP too but its main problem is that it is gear bound to side streets, 55 mph is around 3000 rpm. On the plus side it looks like it is getting over 20 mpg so far- about double what my 6.0 chevy would get.

Top Back Refresh