What's new

Spinoff: Who daily drives old vehicles?

Does it have points and shit? No because it is a luxury automobile and was ahead of it’s time :flipoff2:

Is it old? Hell yea it’s old.

Click image for larger version Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	293.7 KB ID:	354661

I drive it every day. About 300k and counting. I have a major trans leak that I need to figure out before hurting something by running it low. I’m afraid it’s the torque converter, which might cause an oil leak to snowball into an LS swap.

Does it have points and shit? No because it is a luxury automobile and was ahead of it’s time :flipoff2:

Is it old? Hell yea it’s old.

I drive it every day. About 300k and counting. I have a major trans leak that I need to figure out before hurting something by running it low. I’m afraid it’s the torque converter, which might cause an oil leak to snowball into an LS swap.

What year is that? I think I'm gonna buy a '95 here soon from a good family friend who probably going to have to move into assisted living due to dementia issues (no, it's not Joe Biden). He's owned it since new and it's been meticulously maintained.

What year is that? I think I'm gonna buy a '95 here soon from a good family friend who probably going to have to move into assisted living due to dementia issues (no, it's not Joe Biden). He's owned it since new and it's been meticulously maintained.

1988. My grandmothers neighbor had it parked on the street for years inop. I mentioned that I’d be interested if he ever wanted to sell it. Someone reported it as an abandoned vehicle, the city was going to impound it and charge this guy $350 to get it back.

My grandmother saw the sticker on the window that the city installed and investigated. The guy said he would sell it to her for what the city wanted, $350. She called and asked if I wanted it at that pride, I asked her if she heard the numbers correctly, she said yes. I called into work, hooked up the trailer, and hauled ass :laughing:

Getting it on the road took a major cleaning, a cooling system, a fuel pressure regulator, a set of injectors, a cold start sensor, a tcase rebuild, tires, and brakes.

/derail

The downside of old stuff, shit breaks randomly. Heater core just sprung a leak in the 72. luckily close to home when I noticed no heat and saw the temp spiking. Actually found one at an advanced auto 70 miles away and installed it. Took some remaking of mounts since the tanks were different but it was only down for 1 commute.

1988. My grandmothers neighbor had it parked on the street for years inop. I mentioned that I’d be interested if he ever wanted to sell it. Someone reported it as an abandoned vehicle, the city was going to impound it and charge this guy $350 to get it back.

My grandmother saw the sticker on the window that the city installed and investigated. The guy said he would sell it to her for what the city wanted, $350. She called and asked if I wanted it at that pride, I asked her if she heard the numbers correctly, she said yes. I called into work, hooked up the trailer, and hauled ass :laughing:

Getting it on the road took a major cleaning, a cooling system, a fuel pressure regulator, a set of injectors, a cold start sensor, a tcase rebuild, tires, and brakes.

/derail

Nice score! I'm not sure how much they're gonna want for his but I'm thinking they'd be willing to sell it to me for quick and pretty cheap. They have a lot of stuff to wade through in terms of the home furnishings, selling the $1M+ house (in an area where the median house is around $200k), etc. They'll probably value just getting it off their hands as quickly as possible. I don't want to rip them off. I'd be willing to pay them fair market value, but not the $12--16k I'm seeing the things list for on FB Marketplace. I'm just not sure if that's what they're actually selling for or if that's people just trying to shoot the moon. I'd be willing to give them somewhere in the $5-6k range.

those are some nice vehicles. I am way jealous.

here in the rust belt where we park them all winter it is a ritual to get stuff out and moving again. It is really hard on something, especially the older stuff to sit like that. It sucks.
Much easier to maintain and keep dependable with daily driving.

Nice score! I'm not sure how much they're gonna want for his but I'm thinking they'd be willing to sell it to me for quick and pretty cheap. They have a lot of stuff to wade through in terms of the home furnishings, selling the $1M+ house (in an area where the median house is around $200k), etc. They'll probably value just getting it off their hands as quickly as possible. I don't want to rip them off. I'd be willing to pay them fair market value, but not the $12--16k I'm seeing the things list for on FB Marketplace. I'm just not sure if that's what they're actually selling for or if that's people just trying to shoot the moon. I'd be willing to give them somewhere in the $5-6k range.

They're selling for stupid money, I know someone who spent either 15 or 18 on an FJ60 with a clean body, marginal drivetrain with a 5 speed swap. FJ80s are in a similar boat.

Increasing fuel prices might affect them, but I honestly don't think it will be by much. The land cruiser enthusiast crowd is hard core about spending money. Wheeling, not so much.

They're selling for stupid money, I know someone who spent either 15 or 18 on an FJ60 with a clean body, marginal drivetrain with a 5 speed swap. FJ80s are in a similar boat.

Increasing fuel prices might affect them, but I honestly don't think it will be by much. The land cruiser enthusiast crowd is hard core about spending money. Wheeling, not so much.

Yep. Just hoping they'll be willing to sell it to me for something reasonable to get rid of it quick and not deal with a bunch of tire kickers.

This was my only car for a few years.

All the things that made it cool at the start of those few years made it annoying at the end.

Much better as a "Sunday car" than a daily commuter.

IMG_20120829_142248.jpg

Me, although I do not really consider them old: 1988 K1500, 1990 YJ, 1995 Lumina APV.

Top Back Refresh