What's new

Somewhat shady life hacks

Can’t you shorten the filler tube where it enters the tank on them to reduce the air space for expansion? Not the best idea when filling up on a hot day if it’s not being driven far but meh.
there's actually just a vent valve deal that you rip out of the filler neck
its positioned such that it vents the filler neck when the cap presses against it
you just rip it out and the whole tank is usable space

The tolls here take a pic of the windshield too and will send you a pic of the registration sticker in the mail along with the ticket.

They went to the dated and special dealer tags here a few years ago. Everyone just moved to "TEST DRIVE" tags. Yeah, I'm sure your on a test drive with 3 baskets of laundry and a full grocery trip in the back seat.

Gas station rewards card, get points buying a gas gift card, get points for using it at the pump. It's been foever since I tried that one.
Maverick gas stations give you points for being a rewards member. If you sign up for the Nitro card you get 6 cents off gas, but you get less points per gallon. I think they caught on to your scam, but maybe not. Seems like a lot of effort to use points and buy a chance to win a free truck they never announce the winner of.

EDIT: Don't ever hire a pool/spa guy. Make a thread here and ADD will help out.

Most of mine aren't that bad IMO

We remodeled the basement and you're supposed to take all construction materials to the dump. I spread it out over about 4 weeks and just filled my trashcans with contractor bags till it was all gone. I've seen where they take the construction stuff and it goes to the same pile as the regular trash.

Same with a tire and rim they wouldn't pick up. After two tries I just shoved it into one of the trashcans and put a bag on top of it.

In NC, I needed a weighted tag because I ran a 3/4 ton and towed a lot. The DMV lady knew me because her son worked for me. She gave me a regular passenger tag because she used the shipping weight of the truck. Saved me $130 a year.

I heard this one the other day, a guy said this old man was fixing to crush a van. He pulled it into the back yard and started hosing down the seats. When asked what the hell he was doing he said the seats soak up the water and add more weight.

In TN, I bought a jon boat and trailer from a guy. I went to register it and the guy asked for the titles. I told him I didn't have either. He said the best thing to do was to put an asterisk at the bottom of the BOS and write "trailer not included". That way I didn't have to go through the hassle of filing for that too. Trailer tags aren't required in TN as long as you're pulling it with a TN vehicle. Maybe that will save someone some trouble in the future.

Most tolls read from a ~45deg angle above the vehicle. The mounting specs are all over the internet if anyone needs to verify whether their license plate is sufficiently visible. It is definitely possible to build a rear bumper that can be read by a cop sitting in a cruiser (and therefore won't get you pulled over) but is very hard to read from the angles at which toll highway ALPRs are typically mounted.

I have the plate in my M715 under the tailgate between the bumperettes and I am yet to get a NY toll charge.

520F1A15-BADA-4A52-A34A-6B3394F3A0C7.jpeg

:laughing:

When I was broke a few years ago I would take the tag off the back of the car and stick it in the back window when I got to FL so i could ride through all the toll roads without paying.

I'm not proud but I did it a few times a year.

Gas station rewards card, get points buying a gas gift card, get points for using it at the pump. It's been foever since I tried that one.
I do that at Christmas with Kroger. Buy all my gift cards there, get 2-4x the points back.

Kroger used to not limit how much you could get of on gas either. Had a buddy do that when he was building a deck, put his estimate together, went to Kroger and bought what he needed in Home Depot gift cards. Ended up paying like 50 cents per gallon for gas and had family bring his other cars so he could fill them all up in one transaction. :laughing:

Enterprise will sell you an engine or transmission for about $100 dollars with exchange, but you have to do the exchanging yourself.
Who was it that had the newish GM transverse engine SUV shitpile that was on the verge of eating itself? That would have been a great candidate for that kind of swap.

I just remembered one from 30 some years ago.

We used to go and do a test drive on a used truck when we needed to move. I never did it but a friend used to test drive a like model but newish so he could swap out a bad battery.

When on vacation eat an fancy restaurants and dress accordingly. Before you get the bill get up in singles or pairs and go to the restroom (but actually leave).

When on vacation eat an fancy restaurants and dress accordingly. Before you get the bill get up in singles or pairs and go to the restroom (but actually leave).
I thought you were supposed to smuggle a dead cockroach in and throw it on your plate when you're just about done eating.

Everyone else just puts a license plate protector on them and waits for the sun to turn it yellow.
Apparently they are illegal in washington. I got stopped on 2 different rigs with them and they were clear in good shape. Cop was nice enough, gave me a verbal warning and asked me to take it off when I got to my destination.

Controlling situations

Get pulled over for speeding, ask for a warning or a non moving violation, before he walks back to his car, be polite enough, then "if you happen to have a warning or finite resources left in your book, I'd sure appreciate it"

I forget the exact context, but another time it was something along the lines of "I'm sorry I didn't realize I was wasting finite resources":laughing:

I'm not sure what other states have, but in AZ it's like 1/3-1/2 of a lower level speeding ticket, non moving violation, but the cop gets credited for the stop and the ticket, he knows you aren't going to fight it, and there's some revenue generated, everybody is happy enough

This is something the new power tailgates are actually good for. Stick the front plate on the dash, flip it as you approach the toll and lower the tailgate. Might need a tune to let you do that while moving.

Most tolls read from a ~45deg angle above the vehicle. The mounting specs are all over the internet if anyone needs to verify whether their license plate is sufficiently visible. It is definitely possible to build a rear bumper that can be read by a cop sitting in a cruiser (and therefore won't get you pulled over) but is very hard to read from the angles at which toll highway ALPRs are typically mounted.
My girlfriend used to ride on the back of my dirt bike with me. And they used to shut down the free bridge from Louisville over into Indiana so as we went passed the toll bridge, she would just reach her hand back and cover the plate. It was wrong, but they kept shutting down the non-toll bridge and all I was doing was going to watch the sunset where you could actually not be obstructed from all the tall buildings in the city and there was a nice little park without many people next to the river.

When I was going to college I was working at a car dealership. When I would drive to class I always used a dealer tag and would park in visitor parking which was close to the class rooms. I accumulated a ton of parking tickets but sadly didn't save them...
When I was still going to college I would park my company truck with the logos on it next to the swimming pool. They thought I was there to service it, not to actually attend class. Only got ticketed twice for it

Controlling situations

Get pulled over for speeding, ask for a warning or a non moving violation, before he walks back to his car, be polite enough, then "if you happen to have a warning or finite resources left in your book, I'd sure appreciate it"

I forget the exact context, but another time it was something along the lines of "I'm sorry I didn't realize I was wasting finite resources":laughing:

I'm not sure what other states have, but in AZ it's like 1/3-1/2 of a lower level speeding ticket, non moving violation, but the cop gets credited for the stop and the ticket, he knows you aren't going to fight it, and there's some revenue generated, everybody is happy enough
Got out of a ticket once by answering the officers question directly.

Do you know how fast you were going?

No, but I wasn’t going any faster than the guy in front of me.

Got off with a warning.

That usually doesn't work. They usually says something like "we can't catch them all. Here is your ticket"
I can attest to that. Freeway moving at 75, all of us, no one doing anything to stand out. Pass an on ramp, CHP enters the freeway right behind me, lights on, I get the ticket for 10 over. My "you do know we were all going the same speed?" didn't even generate a response.

Apparently he had an issue with folks fucking with him in court or something. Had me stand by the rear of my car so the license plate was visible and took a pic.

That usually doesn't work. They usually says something like "we can't catch them all. Here is your ticket"
This. They've already decided whether you're getting a ticket or a warning before they turn on the lights. The only way you're changing that is if they profiled you wrong. So if you own a fleet of tweaker looking vehicles and are respectful and well kept you'll wind up with a pretty good track record because you'll get profiled and stopped a lot and the cops will see the lack of open beer cans, drug paraphernalia, etc, etc and be like "nope, not the kind of guy I'm looking for" and hand you a warning. Or if you are all over the road because you're 2k over GVW and it's 1am on a Saturday they'll stop you and let you go with a warning when it's clear you're not the drunk they're looking for.

Top Back Refresh