What's new

Somewhat shady life hacks

I was selling a $1500 beater, looked nice enough.
Meet the 22-24yo kid at the gas station, his buddy drove him.
He walks around it opens the door, looks inside, asks me how it runs, hands me a deposit and says he'll pick it up tomorrow.
Wow, that was easy.
The next day he's back, with his buddy, with the cash. We square up, never test drove it.
Wasn't a dumb kid, wasn't cocky, but had a pretty easy come, easy go mentality on $1500 cars, so i asked him what's up.

He lost his licence, and it was 8k to get it back.
He painted houses, and made good money.
But not enough to cough up 8k
He'd buy unassuming beaters, get his boss, or his sister to register them.
He could get pulled over, and retrieve from impound once. $600 ish
The second time it was seized for good.
He didn't drive much, and could manage a year or so from a car:homer:

His numbers panned out, he was sharp, he was right, if he caught a common sense judge on the right day, he probably could have worked out a license with conditions of a payment plan. But our justice system is fucked, so he ran with his life hack
My littlest brother ran that hack for over 5 years. He finally got arrested for driving with no license, did some time and is on probation for 2 years. Has his drivers license now after getting on a payment plan. The original issue was for failure to appear in court.

Taking advantage of someone else hack. People buy pressure washers at Northern Tool, use it for one job, screw something up then return it for a refund. Everytime i go to Northern, i look back at the repaired area. There is usually a pressure washer back there for half price. They had a honda powered 3500 psi that normally was $700, marked down to $350. I drug it up front and told them it didnt have hose, wand or nozzles. They took another $100 off. Got it for $250, used the hose, wand and nozzles off the last one i bought. I always check the sale area near the service dept.

I learned over the years dealing with the DMV, that if they tell you that you cant do something without X or whatever, just go home and write that shit out yourself and come back the next day.
Title signed wrong? Fill that shit out the right way with white out
No signature from seller? Sign it yourself
No bill of sale showin you paid $1000? just write one out
“Oh. He’s out in the car, he had knee surgery, I will run out there and get him to sign it , be right back !”

Shush now dammit. This thread started out on a pretty good roll with all the fucking thieves posting up and ya'll shamed them so much they quit talking about it. Iffen you can hold your tongues a bit, we might get a whole "nother new batch of fucktards to post up and then we can shame ALL of them at once.
I like a good public shaming.

My littlest brother ran that hack for over 5 years. He finally got arrested for driving with no license, did some time and is on probation for 2 years. Has his drivers license now after getting on a payment plan. The original issue was for failure to appear in court.
That is if you HAVE ever been issued a license. If you’re an illegal immigrant you just get the “driving while unlicensed “ ticket. Which is usually cheaper and isn’t connected to any name so there is no piling on charges the next time you get the same ticket.

That is if you HAVE ever been issued a license. If you’re an illegal immigrant you just get the “driving while unlicensed “ ticket. Which is usually cheaper and isn’t connected to any name so there is no piling on charges the next time you get the same ticket.
Can't put points on something that doesn't exist.

Did I post about coffee from truck stops in this thread?

Anyways, I spend about $1000/week in fuel at a couple different large chain places. I have my own tumbler I use for coffee. The big chains charge $2+ for refills. I usually get fuel, go in for a receipt fill up my cup and walk out. Sometimes if I don't fuel I'll walk up to pay and the clerk willl tell me don't worry about it.

Smaller independent places that don't overcharge and actually have good coffee, I pay for it and usually buy something for breakfast too.
Your way to justify your coffee theft is interesting. “I spend $XXXX on diesel as a super trucker so I fee ok stealing $2 coffee.”

Reactions: DMG
I think O’Riellys will keep that record for you if you sign up for their rewards card and have it scanned when you make a purchase.
Also if you buy a lot of parts you can get a commercial account and get some discounts.

Not shady, but I fight EVERY ticket, no matter what. I extend and extend to the limit of the law, then schedule a court date. I've had almost a dozen dismissed from the cops failing to appear.
In my state you can do that and then have the case transferred to state court , where the cop won’t be able to predict the court date weeks in advance . Plus the prosecutor and judge don’t work for the greedy money grubbing podunk town that the cop works for , and if you do get found guilty the state gets the fine , not the town .

Reactions: DMG
Local toll road still takes coins. Once rona hit, they stopped keeping the booths manned but still take coins. The booths have a reject slot and are only cleared out x many times a day since the booths are no longer manned.

Some foreign currency and car wash tokens, but plenty of regular change in there. Probably pulled out $200 since rona started, plus my other techs hit them up sometimes also.

One tech got 10 silver quarters from it a few months ago.

Last edited:
Pray tell what is that threshold? On a per month basis for example?
I still use the account they got at work and I think I'm the only one, the office guys hate them for some reason
so really, just set up an account, they won't delete it when they realize that you don't buy anything most months

don't bother with napa though, as all of their stores are privately owned, so if you've got an account at one store it won't be any good when you're 50 miles away

I still use the account they got at work and I think I'm the only one, the office guys hate them for some reason
so really, just set up an account, they won't delete it when they realize that you don't buy anything most months

don't bother with napa though, as all of their stores are privately owned, so if you've got an account at one store it won't be any good when you're 50 miles away
Not every store is a franchise, some are corporate-owned but yes, usually. IF you would like to call your 'home' store first and have the store you are standing in bill your home store, most will let you do that. They get grumpy sometimes, though. I have done that several times. It's a PITA though.

O'Reilly's is nice because as long as a manager or senior shift employee is in the store you can just give them your account number and have them load it in their system. I have done this in about 6 different states now. I did learn that any outside account that they manually loaded drops out after 6-12 months if not used.

Beats me .
We have Six cars , we are in the store so much they asked us what ship we worked at.
When I said we just owned six old cars the manager said they’d set us up a commercial account so we could get the discount .
My 16 yr old was in there so much the manager offered him a job since he knew more about cars than all their employees combined .

Also if you buy a lot of parts you can get a commercial account and get some discounts.
Or just ask for the commercial discount. Most places Ive lived Ive been in the local parts houses enough that half the time they just give it to you.

Fuck, Vatozone has shit under my phone number from 20 years ago. Even stuff purchased in Mexico is warrantable in the states.
I tried that with a chain of U-pull junkyards. I bought shit at the Canada one just to say I did and tried to return it at the Bangor one. The desk lady was highly amused but said no. :laughing:

I still have those Tercel tail lights kicking around if anyone wants them.

There is usually no minimum but you get a better pricing tier if you buy more. The fucked thing is that on the best pricing tier at Advance (for example) you probably can buy the parts cheaper if you buy them online with the 25% off coupon that they often give on their site.

I tried that with a chain of U-pull junkyards. I bought shit at the Canada one just to say I did and tried to return it at the Bangor one. The desk lady was highly amused but said no. :laughing:

I still have those Tercel tail lights kicking around if anyone wants them.
Just hang o to those Toyota parts and see if they infect your other cars with reliability :flipoff2:

Beats me .
We have Six cars , we are in the store so much they asked us what ship we worked at.
When I said we just owned six old cars the manager said they’d set us up a commercial account so we could get the discount .
My 16 yr old was in there so much the manager offered him a job since he knew more about cars than all their employees combined .
My dad had a account at the local Kar Kare (car care) for something like 30 years, before they went out of business.

One day my dad goes in there to get something and they ask if it's for his son? Hes asks why? Because he gets better pricing. Lol. I got better pricing on my dad's account.

O'Reilly's is nice because as long as a manager or senior shift employee is in the store you can just give them your account number and have them load it in their system. I have done this in about 6 different states now. I did learn that any outside account that they manually loaded drops out after 6-12 months if not used.
My friend pulled in his (actually his tech college's) account to my local O'Reilly. It's a cash account, but they still get a pretty good discount on most things.

One thing I found though is that commercial accounts don't get the advertised sales prices. I was buying a bucket of hydraulic oil that was in the sales ad and it was ringing up at full price. She couldn't figure out why and was about to override it and then took it off the account and it showed the sales price.

My friend pulled in his (actually his tech college's) account to my local O'Reilly. It's a cash account, but they still get a pretty good discount on most things.

One thing I found though is that commercial accounts don't get the advertised sales prices. I was buying a bucket of hydraulic oil that was in the sales ad and it was ringing up at full price. She couldn't figure out why and was about to override it and then took it off the account and it showed the sales price.
I can confirm the lack of on sale pricing for commercial accounts. I believe it’s their way of making up for the discount, figuring that you’re in a hurry and not going to check. I either decline having them run it through the account, or go elsewhere. Our local Napa usually buys pallet loads of popular on sale products and extends the sale price until the pallet is gone. If you are a commercial account and need bulk quantities of something they will offer a discount whether a sale is going on or not. O’Reillys won’t do that type of deal that I’ve found.

In college, I was dirt poor. Like 25 cents a day food budget poor. The school had ROTC so we'd get the Master Sergeant to score us cases of C-rations.

Joined the Crew team because they got free steak dinners twice a week in the school cafeteria.

School cafeteria had small, medium, and large size cups. You were allowed to fill them with anything (soda or milk) and that was the price. I'd stuff my large cup with cheeseburgers.

Finally befriended the cashier. I'd hand her a dollar and she'd give back four quarters in change.

Good times.
This is the spirit of the thread I think, bravo!

One good hack that will
Be coming soon is figuring out how to have your parents transfer the title of their real
Estate and property into a trust , or LLC instead of their name , so you don’t inherit the property and have to pay sniffy Joe’s huge capital gains inheritance tax.

if you become the trustee or new owner of the LLC it should avoid the democrats being able to steal half of your parents lifetime of savings .

Top Back Refresh