What's new

Soft shackles and kinetic ropes

On the subject of factory "recovery" points.

The most important point that we don't know is, what is their idea of a recovery. That's a very wide ranging subject.

Could be as simple as towing down a flat dirt road to dragging a rig buried up to the tub in clay mud. I'm thinking the former is probably closer to what they design for.

Considering they are oem, likely safety factor is built in.

True. But they key is a safety factor built in for doing what?

I'll add...
Ever look at what the screw in recovery loop attatches to From the factory?

They are for the transporter to roll em forward on the mobile parking lot, often just sheetmetal.

I'll add...

They are for the transporter to roll em forward on the mobile parking lot, often just sheetmetal.
Rear ones on Bronco bolt straight to frame. My preferred rear tug point.

Reactions: Clb
I'll add...

That's very vehicle dependent. On my Mercedes E-Class the rear one was bolted into the main frame rail structure of the unibody with some big, beefy bolts. The front I never had apart, and could well be they're generally less strong because of crumple zones and impact structures.

But that rear one, I would have no problem tugging on properly, at all.

Yea the fronts are usually a joke.
I Have not been real impressed by many permanent oe "car" offerings.

Hopefully more are worth using, my tow compay guy wont use em.
Truck /suv points should be idiot proof,( as should they ALL be):laughing:

Yea the fronts are usually a joke.
I Have not been real impressed by many permanent oe "car" offerings.

Hopefully more are worth using, my tow compay guy wont use em.
Truck /suv points should be idiot proof,( as should they ALL be):laughing:
I’m sorry if this hurts the OP or the injured’s feelings but I’m pretty confident in saying that the factory Bronco recovery points were far better than what they replaced it with. I modified a bronco and none of the musings about tow points above apply to it. There isn’t any of this 1/8 garbage being mentioned. The badlands bumper is actually a better part than what people are replacing it with.

And Superdutys for instance. Also have a pretty stout front recovery pair of eyelets. I recently broke a 2019 D60 spider gear doing a reverse pull off of one tow point on my front bumper. I was pulling on a 24,000 pound truck with a combined 40K tow strap. The fancy bullshit bumpers people install with the eyelet welded to the plate fail where the factory ones will take the hardest hit I can possibly dish out over and over. The straps fail before hooks do. And I’d say the same for the GM ones. I also pull dead sideways on the ford ones. Just concluding my 24th winter since the SD came out and I’ve never seen a factory tow point failure. Broken lots of recovery gear over the years though.

Nice
I am unsure as to what and why you quoted me but I believe we're on the same page...

. The fancy bullshit bumpers people install with the eyelet welded to the plate fail where the factory ones will take the hardest hit I can possibly dish out over and over.
What fails? Does the clevis mount rip out of the plate or does the plate just deform/crack? Just curious.

Hooligan
Do you have vid of the Lexus recovery @ the end on met last trip.
That shows a great deal of flex associated with aftermarket parts...

Eta
I have a feeling that this bumper was using some?factory brackets? It looked great did not fail, but flexed alot.

Last edited:
Because this. I’m specifically addressing front factory tow points.

I agree that the stock recovery points are likely 'better' in most cases than much of what we see in the aftermarket, I am still pretty nervous about the amount of structure I see on the 6G Bronco front frame horns (and similar designs like the JK, JL/JT, etc) There isn't really any distribution structure behind these 4-bolt 'pads' that are welded to the end of the frame rails.

Attachments

• 1681337125707.png
    1681337125707.png
    102.5 KB · Views: 26
What fails? Does the clevis mount rip out of the plate or does the plate just deform/crack? Just curious.
Work tried some bumpers that I can’t remember the name brand of. To install it takes a full removal of the original front bumper and tow points. Then they have these nice looking triangle shackle points welded to the face. I thought I had pictures on my phone but I do not.

If you yank on this style bumper real hard the brackets stay bolted to the frame and the entire bumper comes off the truck. This a Fab Four but I don’t think they used F-F on these work trucks. This is just a picture to describe the style of welded shackle mount. My group ripped one of these style off of an F550 last winter.

IMG_5649.jpeg
IMG_5650.jpeg

Brand new/ unused xmas present.
Sorta bummed these are such a small dia. Compared to the rope.

Rethinking having them in the bag, probably will be in the miscellaneous gear section...

Attachments

• 20240301_093116.jpg
    20240301_093116.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 50
Brand new/ unused xmas present.
Sorta bummed these are such a small dia. Compared to the rope.

Rethinking having them in the bag, probably will be in the miscellaneous gear section...
Nice that it has a WLL

Reactions: Clb
I said it wasn’t Fab Four then the one I been waiting on pulled onto location. Guess what brand it is :homer:

IMG_5652.jpeg
I have been around a number of trucks with those bumpers on them. They are not strong and they are highly failure prone. A FJ cruiser I drove for a while had the entire spare tire carrier break loose of the bumper and fall off in the street.

They are the worst junk bumpers, known to man. I would take a Smitty built tube bumper over that.

:tank:

Last edited:
Well there ya go. Please watch it all the way through for the entire picture from point of view at the time with what was known, to the 20/20 hind sight perspective and then followed by a break down of the evidence and what broke. Then the bit at the very end goes into medical considerations as well as communications.

Glad God seen fit to keep him here to relive and tell the tale.

Friggen scary for sure.

Amazing what one stupid overlooked mistake can do. 30 seconds extra to grab the proper kit would have prevented it all.

Regardless of all the BS about the bronco bumper, this wasn't the cause of this failure so get this shit back on track!

Well there ya go. Please watch it all the way through for the entire picture from point of view at the time with what was known, to the 20/20 hind sight perspective and then followed by a break down of the evidence and what broke. Then the bit at the very end goes into medical considerations as well as communications.

Thanks for taking the time to share all of this. If it makes someone take a second to rethink the rigging, then it was 100% worth it on your behalf.

That guy talks slow as shit. I’m gonna need cliffs cause I’m not sitting through an hour of that.
Just speed up the playback speed. :lmao:

Skip to 5:30 and grab a few beers.
Fiancé really enjoyed watching it. I sat through it. I don’t necessarily agree with all the findings that were made in the video. I do agree with Brennan. That radius’s on the D ring mounts are very important. The strength of that soft shackle was dramatically. decreased by going across the sharp edge.

Now I have to go search for a better first aid kit, because lady is nervous.

Top Back Refresh