What's new

Snow Clearing - What kind of Machine?

How do you like that setup? Any issues with how far out in front the blade is? I have a smaller kubota, a 7' plow and a quick attach plate. Plan on cobbling together something similar.
Its awesome. You can feel the leverage of the blade, but it holds just fine. I had to install the third function to angle the plow.

Make sure you have chains. Tractor will just sit there and spin otherwise.

Free 2-stage blower off c-list/marketplace. I'd probably start there since I'm a cheapass. It'll move a snowbank that isn't a block of ice, it just won't do it quickly.

I was given this last spring. Need to clean the carb and put a plug in it before winter.

Attachments

• PXL_20210305_215100596.jpg
    PXL_20210305_215100596.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 28
Really? I figured they won't give a fuck. Running wing blade and all just throws it sideways. Not gonna stop for a driveway. It's a highway.... Not little county road
That's a big maybe, depends on the crew and the lead. Find out where the maintenance shed is they're running out of and take them doughnuts and coffee and ask. :smokin:

Blowers don’t work good in wet heavy snow or ice at all.
You're out of your element. A blower on a tractor (or skid steer) is the answer to the OP's problem. That's what I use, all I use, and the wet heavy stuff throws the furthest. Freeze/thawed/freeze snow berms aren't a problem either, it just chews through them and goes on.

You're out of your element. A blower on a tractor (or skid steer) is the answer to the OP's problem. That's what I use, all I use, and the wet heavy stuff throws the furthest. Freeze/thawed/freeze snow berms aren't a problem either, it just chews through them and goes on.

Your blower will go right through a berm that's hard enough to drive a full size truck on and not make a rut? Serious question

Op a snowblower generally is not going to work on wet snow with ice balls mixed in. You're just going to end up shearing pins and stopping evey 2 minutes to clear clogs. You can get away with fresh wet snow but you have to get the speed just right or you'll bog and jam or snow doesn't get cleared and you jam.
This is not true of a snowblower on a tractor or SS. Walk behind probably, but walk behind blowers are for peasants.

Good to know. How big is your blower? I have one and haven’t gotten to use it in its element yet. Tried to use it once just to use it. Only 2 to 3 inches of slush and it would plug the shoot. Haven’t gotten to hit a foot + of snow with it yet.

I got it because of one bad year and using the bucket on the tractor I was running out of places to put snow once the piles were taller than my FEL could reach over.

Your blower will go right through a berm that's hard enough to drive a full size truck on and not make a rut? Serious question

Yes. I've got a 47" blower on the front of a 455 deere and a 59" blower on the front of a 4300 and either one will chew through a berm like that. 4300 will do it faster because 4wd and more weight but the 455 with weight and chains will do it too. I've opened up driveways in the spring with berms from the county that are ice hard and hip deep. If possible do it when it's warmer and softer but not critical.

I should add that both blowers are controlled with a 2-way cylinder so I an keep them at a fixed height, add down pressure, etc. so the cutting edge can do it's thing. Berms like that are typically only that hard on the top 2-6" crust so once you break through it gets easy.

Keep in mind that a berm from the county plow is relatively small compared to a driveway so even if you have to chip at it a bit it's not that big of a deal.

Good to know. How big is your blower? I have one and haven’t gotten to use it in its element yet. Tried to use it once just to use it. Only 2 to 3 inches of slush and it would plug the shoot. Haven’t gotten to hit a foot + of snow with it yet.

I got it because of one bad year and using the bucket on the tractor I was running out of places to put snow once the piles were taller than my FEL could reach over.
Slush is my favorite, you just need to have enough horsepower to feed the slush fast and create a bit of a "seal" then it really takes off. I can pile slush on the transformer on the power pole.

Slush is my favorite, you just need to have enough horsepower to feed the slush fast and create a bit of a "seal" then it really takes off. I can pile slush on the transformer on the power pole.
I don’t have enough horse power!

Well I think this is becoming a pay the plow dude answer. :lmao: Holy shit beat to death used equipment is spendy right now.

Mid-Size tractors are 8-10k

Or clapped out bigger ones.... 12.5
00t0t_kVfgz7i3sZ0z_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Or 15k
01414_8UYFSf6TXNcz_0gw0co_1200x900.jpg

15k I would buy that 644h in a heartbeat. The H series are my favorite loaders for loading trucks.

15k I would buy that 644h in a heartbeat. The H series are my favorite loaders for loading trucks.
Yeah if I was spending the $ to do it, 5k more for big ass machine seems like no brainer. That one is heated too :flipoff2:

But 15k pays for a lot of plow service I would guess.

Also I am thinking big add diesel machine like that probably wont want to start cold very well....

I'm like three hours south of him and have a 3pt 72" blower on a Nortrac 45XP. It will do it just fine. What it won't eat it will push till it can eat. I found that out when I was testing things out. I was chewing up snow piles I bermed up with my truck only to have them start sliding.

That being said with a F450 I'd go with a 10' Boss DXT.

I'm like three hours south of him and have a 3pt 72" blower on a Nortrac 45XP. It will do it just fine. What it won't eat it will push till it can eat. I found that out when I was testing things out. I was chewing up snow piles I bermed up with my truck only to have them start sliding.

That being said with a F450 I'd go with a 10' Boss DXT.

If the snow isn't being kept up with, especially with a bank from the highway plows, it will be tough to push with anything short of a dozer.

So what about doing something to get the county to not plow a huge berm? Someone mentioned a gate? Is there something about having a legal driveway that would help?

So what about doing something to get the county to not plow a huge berm? Someone mentioned a gate? Is there something about having a legal driveway that would help?
Lol you must not live in snow country. The guys plowing the roads are doing everything they can to keep the roads clear. They do not worry about private driveways. Unless you personally know the guy who’s route it is and make a deal with him your just gonna have to suck it up.

My uncle worked for the county. Every year I would get titty calendars for him to hand out. It got me a lot of favors done by the county. Now They come every winter 5-6 guys to a truck looking for those calendars.

Lol you must not live in snow country. The guys plowing the roads are doing everything they can to keep the roads clear. They do not worry about private driveways. Unless you personally know the guy who’s route it is and make a deal with him your just gonna have to suck it up.

My uncle worked for the county. Every year I would get titty calendars for him to hand out. It got me a lot of favors done by the county. Now They come every winter 5-6 guys to a truck looking for those calendars.

Place I grew up used to get a handful of storms a year, but it would usually melt off within the week. I've spent a lot of time driving up to the snow, on 10-20' of snow pack. I have never really lived in snow country, no, until this year. Curious to see if I loose my love of playing in the snow after 1 season or not. :laughing:

If the snow isn't being kept up with, especially with a bank from the highway plows, it will be tough to push with anything short of a dozer.
This. Key to snow removal is not being a lazy fuckstain. You can't just half ass yourself a single lane after the storm. You gotta clean it up good each time.

It's a main highway, not a rural road or anything.

From what I have seen, they plow the road. Fuck anyone who has a driveway. I don't think they are wrong here. Rolling at 50 with the wing out. Not exactly like they can slow or stop and hit a driveway.

Hence the i have to deal with it. I see a few people near by that appear to shovel a drive or parking spot into the Berm.

Also I am thinking big add diesel machine like that probably wont want to start cold very well....
metered ether start kit is absolutely magical

a can and a 1/4" hose from the cab to the intake will do it too, if you don't have any retards but yourself running it

This is the hard part of not living there....
I do the "shovel in the car, hop out with the hazards on and quickly bust out a parking spot just to get the car outta the road, then walk to the barn and get the worn out massively underpowered blower going" thing and it sucks, the old wore out mtd 5/24 blower does the job just fine though you're stuck in the lowest gear, and pretty oftentimes gotta slip the drive clutch so it goes even slower than that

narrow driveway built up 3-4' above the surrounding will help massively with your snow situation, mine's got a drop on one side and it blows around and doesn't stack up much on the driveway

metered ether start kit is absolutely magical

a can and a 1/4" hose from the cab to the intake will do it too, if you don't have any retards but yourself running it
Full retard mode engaged :flipoff2:
I do the "shovel in the car, hop out with the hazards on and quickly bust out a parking spot just to get the car outta the road, then walk to the barn and get the worn out massively underpowered blower going" thing and it sucks

narrow driveway built up 3-4' above the surrounding will help massively with your snow situation, mine's got a drop on one side and it blows around and doesn't stack up much on the driveway
Exactly what I will be facing

What truck is it?

4x4?

Engage 4x4 and just drive in?

Or

Get a plow for it and mount it a day or night before snowfall & plow your way in?
I was going to say “put a plow on the f450…. The extra weight might fix the tire wear problem. “ :flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh