What's new

Snow Clearing - What kind of Machine?

I drive over that berm in my jeep all the time. Quit being a pussy, sack up and drive over it. :flipoff2:

Take video.
Free pints?!?!

*if you tow me out?

We are talking long wheel base F450 RV here. 15k lbs

Free pints?!?!

*if you tow me out?

We are talking long wheel base F450 RV here. 15k lbs
Full send. Call me I'll come yank you out.

Funny story I got my dually stuck up there past skykomish on the 6066 road when we were sledding and shooting guns.

Truck made it up there fine but the sun came out and changed the snow. I chained up all 4 corners and chugged out of there. Got stuck in the berm you are talking about and the truck started sliding off the road.

A couple guys with a first gen pathfinder yanked me out after a shit load of digging. It was a long shitty day up there.

For real, what about one of those plastic sheds to cover it next to the fence, and a walk behind snow thrower?

Full send. Call me I'll come yank you out.

Funny story I got my dually stuck up there past skykomish on the 6066 road when we were sledding and shooting guns.

Truck made it up there fine but the sun came out and changed the snow. I chained up all 4 corners and chugged out of there. Got stuck in the berm you are talking about and the truck started sliding off the road.

A couple guys with a first gen pathfinder yanked me out after a shit load of digging. It was a long shitty day up there.

For real, what about one of those plastic sheds to cover it next to the fence, and a walk behind snow thrower?
For an every weekend (or every other weekend) thing getting stuck pisses ladies off...and shoveling gets old.

I. Haven't seen shed things, but I'm more worried about snow plow Bern rather than snow fall

What truck is it?

4x4?

Engage 4x4 and just drive in?

Or

Get a plow for it and mount it a day or night before snowfall & plow your way in?
F450 based rv.... Not wanting to add plow if I can help it. When that bitch gets stuck it sucks

For an every weekend (or every other weekend) thing getting stuck pisses ladies off...and shoveling gets old.

I. Haven't seen shed things, but I'm more worried about snow plow Bern rather than snow fall
That's why I was saying a used walk behind gas powered snow blower. Get a small shed to store it in next to the fence/gate and plow away when you get home.

Or find an old used truck with a plow.

Depends on how much you want to spend. A v plow on a old truck and park it by the drive. Park trailer and walk in to plow truck, plow out drive and clean up street. If you can just pushing straight across the street and into the opposite ditch is easiest. Grab truck/trailer and drive up driveway. I will say that wet snow is a bitch to plow even with a won ton and 3k of salt in the back it will push you around. Once it gets a few freeze thaw cycles its a real bear.

If you want quick and easy...
images (9).jpeg
I love that. I need one :smokin:

That's why I was saying a used walk behind gas powered snow blower. Get a small shed to store it in next to the fence/gate and plow away when you get home.

Or find an old used truck with a plow.
Blower may be the answer..... I just don't know. Shed on property, just not sure how big. But that's an easy fix.

Frozen berms you need weight and loader. Plows are good for pushing snow into piles but not so much on frozen berms. I plow about 1/3 of a mile driveway with a SxS and plow, I have to really keep up. Much more than 18" and it's a struggle. Forget moving frozen berms with it.

An old tractor with chains and a loader would probably work.

Frozen berms you need weight and loader. Plows are good for pushing snow into piles but not so much on frozen berms. I plow about 1/3 of a mile driveway with a SxS and plow, I have to really keep up. Much more than 18" and it's a struggle. Forget moving frozen berms with it.

An old tractor with chains and a loader would probably work.
Thank you.

Get an old shitty truck with a plow. Throw some chains on, don't worry about the brakes, lights or floor boards. Heater is optional bring wild turkey for a substitute.
Think of it as an adventure.

Keep it simple. Talk to the plow driver and chances are that he will push it back for you. I plowed for the state for years and if the land owners were friendly and cool I’d help them out. All he would have to do is straight blade it passed your drive then angle it again.

Keep it simple. Talk to the plow driver and chances are that he will push it back for you. I plowed for the state for years and if the land owners were friendly and cool I’d help them out. All he would have to do is straight blade it passed your drive then angle it again.
Really? I figured they won't give a fuck. Running wing blade and all just throws it sideways. Not gonna stop for a driveway. It's a highway.... Not little county road

I’ve done quite a lot of what your description needs over the years.

I’ve used almost everything mentioned but lasers, and bribery.

A plow truck has its limits. It can bust through a bank, but ya gotta take little bites on angles that break off parts at a time. Looks to tight where your at for that. But, if you can get over it, and work it from the highway you can try that technique.

But you said easy, least effort.

The loader, tractor idea is good. They need chains to push anything really. Get sketchy sliding down hills. Don’t plow so well, but a rear blade can do that.

31ED2B07-6748-443A-B68B-EAE578C281E0.png

I’ve used one of these to build a private snowboard park. Worked ok for flatter areas without snow tracks. With snow tracks it would be unstoppable. Not cheap. Always started in cold, but was a fresh machine.

128204C0-B57E-4FC0-AD09-7D50246BB45C.png

Makes me think a cheap skid steer with chains might just do ya. You don’t have a lot to move by the looks of it. A plow blade to change out after bucket needs would speed things up 3x.

Everything is a bitch in the cold.

Everything after minus -20 Canada’s might need a fresh warm battery brought to it, and maybe more. Either, Salamanders, etc. But, if stuff is kept in decent repair always try starting first. I’ve been surprised more then not that shit starts super cold. Just always have the stuff if needed.

Finding a local with equipment that’s trustworthy looks real appealing. If there is any. Over pay them by double, or triple and ask for confirmation pics before you leave if their woods-drunk most of the time types.

5-10 k in equipment costs could get you years of hands off and zero effort on this problem, but if you want the toys I get that too.

I’ve done quite a lot of what your description needs over the years.

I’ve used almost everything mentioned but lasers, and bribery.

A plow truck has its limits. It can bust through a bank, but ya gotta take little bites on angles that break off parts at a time. Looks to tight where your at for that. But, if you can get over it, and work it from the highway you can try that technique.

But you said easy, least effort.

The loader, tractor idea is good. They need chains to push anything really. Get sketchy sliding down hills. Don’t plow so well, but a rear blade can do that.

31ED2B07-6748-443A-B68B-EAE578C281E0.png

I’ve used one of these to build a private snowboard park. Worked ok for flatter areas without snow tracks. With snow tracks it would be unstoppable. Not cheap. Always started in cold, but was a fresh machine.

128204C0-B57E-4FC0-AD09-7D50246BB45C.png

Makes me think a cheap skid steer with chains might just do ya. You don’t have a lot to move by the looks of it. A plow blade to change out after bucket needs would speed things up 3x.

Everything is a bitch in the cold.

Everything after minus -20 Canada’s might need a fresh warm battery brought to it, and maybe more. Either, Salamanders, etc. But, if stuff is kept in decent repair always try starting first. I’ve been surprised more then not that shit starts super cold. Just always have the stuff if needed.

Finding a local with equipment that’s trustworthy looks real appealing. If there is any. Over pay them by double, or triple and ask for confirmation pics before you leave if their woods-drunk most of the time types.

5-10 k in equipment costs could get you years of hands off and zero effort on this problem, but if you want the toys I get that too.
Finding someone else to deal with it may be the cheapest option....

Highway is too busy to he plowing perpendicular to it off the road i think. Which makes me think loader type. Bobcat would be sweet but big $$

Finding someone else to deal with it may be the cheapest option....

Highway is too busy to he plowing perpendicular to it off the road i think. Which makes me think loader type. Bobcat would be sweet but big $$
The equipment to do it the way you want is not cheap. If it’s cheap, it’s not easy. But, if your handy like most on here just build it.

Another vote for "literally anything with a bucket and buy yourself a set of tire chains"

I bought two, one diesel one gas. Paid about 5k each.
Those are 10k machines now because inflation. I'm still watching the market. They used to be everywhere 3k-6k now they've all doubled or more in price.

ezgif-6-492376d5aecc.gif

20201204_160435.jpg

That's my setup. But I'd think a heft lawn tractor with weights, chains, and a half way decent snowblower should do the trick.

edit: wet snow- that may suck, but you just have to take it easy
How do you like that setup? Any issues with how far out in front the blade is? I have a smaller kubota, a 7' plow and a quick attach plate. Plan on cobbling together something similar.

I sometimes get 4ft drifts in my driveway when we get 3 inches of snow. County trucks can leave a 8 inch ridge at the side of the road. County trucks can leave 8ft icebergs where they push snow. Neighbors who pay trucks to clean their driveways can get 4ft icebergs towards the end of winter as their driveways shrink to a path that laugh at the 1 ton plow trucks. Neighbors with walk behind blowers have their paths shrink up to nothing at the end of winter as their blowers just climb on the piles. I have cleaned it all up for decades with a Deere 425 with 2 stage 4ft blower. Its impossible to put too much weight on it until the aired down tires go flat, then air them up a bit. I welded tabs on the snowblower so I can pile it down with barbell weights to keep it from climbing. I have chains but have never used them, I don't want to chew up concrete. Sometimes the shear bolts last a couple of hours, sometimes a few weeks. Bolts change out in a couple of minutes. Many of the suggestions here seem to come from people who have never moved snow

Top Back Refresh