What's new

Snow Clearing - What kind of Machine?

Java230

???
Member Number
Looking at a rural lot, just for ski acces/rv parking really, but its accessed off a highway. DOT will plow a bern over the driveway, whats the best for just cutting thru a berm? 4-6' at worst probably. Driveway is short and should not need too muich, its just the access.

I was thinking 4x4 kubota style loader or bobacat maybe? ATV with plow? My concern is that the bern is gonna be concrete after plowing.... Want lowest $$ that will actuially work.

Thoughts?

You need big power and weight to just punch through drifts like that especially if they're frozen plow banks. Pretty much any machine that you can move with a non CDL truck will do it but you'll be breaking up the banks, scooping into the loose material, and moving it somewhere else. Our Deere 210c is a midsize backhoe and it won't push anything over a foot, you just end up pushing until the buckets full and then turning so you can dump off the side of the road. Plows and dozer blades will go continuously but a dozer is kind of limited for the rest of the year.

Skid steer or a compact tractor will work well and be worth having for when they're isn't snow on the ground. It'll just take a little time to break up those banks. Or a $500 plow truck, heat and a radio isn't a bad thing to have

8B036A45-1BB0-44D0-94DA-069EEBCE4F91.png

You need big power and weight to just punch through drifts like that especially if they're frozen plow banks. Pretty much any machine that you can move with a non CDL truck will do it but you'll be breaking up the banks, scooping into the loose material, and moving it somewhere else. Our Deere 210c is a midsize backhoe and it won't push anything over a foot, you just end up pushing until the buckets full and then turning so you can dump off the side of the road. Plows and dozer blades will go continuously but a dozer is kind of limited for the rest of the year.

Skid steer or a compact tractor will work well and be worth having for when they're isn't snow on the ground. It'll just take a little time to break up those banks. Or a $500 plow truck, heat and a radio isn't a bad thing to have

Likely is a foot.... but more can happen. I am fine taking buckets worth and dumping it to the side, need to clear 10' wide to get rv thru. Its uphill to the highway, truck is possible. But shotty beater truck sound like PITA on friday night.

How big of an area and how frequent? What kind of snow do you get?
Concrete. Wet sloppy shit, plus already shoved off road by DOT plow.

How muvh salt for a 10'x3'x3' pile?!:lmao:
a fair amount.
wait till it melts holes down into the big ass ice drift.
then try removal.
if I salt the shit left by the snow plow I deal with it pretty easily with a 40 year old ariens snow throw. Rubber paddles screwed to the second stage impeller keep it from clogging.

a fair amount.
wait till it melts holes down into the big ass ice drift.
then try removal.
if I salt the shit left by the snow plow I deal with it pretty easily with a 40 year old ariens snow throw. Rubber paddles screwed to the second stage impeller keep it from clogging.
I want to pull up friday night, blat thru plie so I can park my truck. Not too much fucking around.

I have a kubota 3901L with 4x4 FEL for just what you described OP. It’s still a little light but being able to point the bucket down helps to be able to cut under the frozen berm. Have a blade for it but the blade doesn’t work for more than a couple inches.

I’ve also got a Ford 1500 4x4. It’s so light it’s pretty much useless for anything more than mowing. I have a snow blower for it but it hasn’t snowed enough to use the blower since I bought it.

I have a kubota 3901L with 4x4 FEL for just what you described OP. It’s still a little light but being able to point the bucket down helps to be able to cut under the frozen berm. Have a blade for it but the blade doesn’t work for more than a couple inches.

I’ve also got a Ford 1500 4x4. It’s so light it’s pretty much useless for anything more than mowing. I have a snow blower for it but it hasn’t snowed enough to use the blower since I bought it.
25k for a tractor adds cost to the lot..... its onlt 1.37 acre

I was wondering about blower...

Depends on how much you want to spend. A v plow on a old truck and park it by the drive. Park trailer and walk in to plow truck, plow out drive and clean up street. If you can just pushing straight across the street and into the opposite ditch is easiest. Grab truck/trailer and drive up driveway. I will say that wet snow is a bitch to plow even with a won ton and 3k of salt in the back it will push you around. Once it gets a few freeze thaw cycles its a real bear.

If you want quick and easy...
images (9).jpeg

Depends on how much you want to spend. A v plow on a old truck and park it by the drive. Park trailer and walk in to plow truck, plow out drive and clean up street. If you can just pushing straight across the street and into the opposite ditch is easiest. Grab truck/trailer and drive up driveway. I will say that wet snow is a bitch to plow even with a won ton and 3k of salt in the back it will push you around. Once it gets a few freeze thaw cycles its a real bear.

If you want quick and easy...
images (9).jpeg

Our neck of the woods it’s illegal to push snow across the road. You will get ticketed if you do it .

Top Back Refresh