What's new

Smudge Pot

His first "bead" didn't connect anything. it just went all the way around on one piece. Lol. That's ok! That's one of my favorite methods of teaching. Here's how. I'll show you once. You try. Nope. Fix it, with advice. Try again. and so on. Experience and re-doing seems to stick.

I want a couple of these things badly. Unfortunately they seem to be $$ to buy used in upstate SC. I would love to see some homemade designs, i know i can slap one together, but i suspect that there are some key engineering specs to make them work correctly.

We gonna find out. No engineering went into this. Just eyeballing it and working with available scrap.

There was a smudgepot left over from my house in Campbell, CA from when it used to be in a fruit orchard instead of a subdivision. Naturally I had to use it.

Used motor oil works very well - though make sure no water gets in it else you are in for a fireball. If it sounds like a deep fryer, close the carb and back away.

I had this happen at KOH and had to utilize all 10 lbs of my ABC fire extinguisher. There is a video of this somewhere on the intarweb.

We gonna find out. No engineering went into this. Just eyeballing it and working with available scrap.

The second I saw your pictures, i remembered my post and was going to ask how it worked. Glad you remembered some of us were interested :flipoff2:

I mean.....i have fire dynamics textbooks and access to process flow modeling software .....bur F that :lmao:

There was a smudgepot left over from my house in Campbell, CA from when it used to be in a fruit orchard instead of a subdivision. Naturally I had to use it.

Used motor oil works very well - though make sure no water gets in it else you are in for a fireball. If it sounds like a deep fryer, close the carb and back away.

I had this happen at KOH and had to utilize all 10 lbs of my ABC fire extinguisher. There is a video of this somewhere on the intarweb.

Oh Snap! Good to know

make sure no water gets in it else you are in for a fireball. If it sounds like a deep fryer, close the carb and back away.

fully fucking that!!

and remember oil floats on water, so you dont know until you are about a 12 pack in and you go "hmm, why's the pot hissing like its cooking fried chicken", then it ERUPTS into a geyser of flaming lava. The INSTANT you hear a crackle, shut the thing down. It gets ugly FAST. Keep the carb pointed away from anything you dont want burned down in case it runs away on you.

I'm waiting for the holder of the video to e-mail it to me, for now here is a dramatized version of water in the smudge pot:

latest?cb=20200410191627.jpg

Why would you put water into it? Put in diesel runs about 6hrs on 5 gallons.Use a few soaked paper towel to light. Shuts off easy enough close the dapper and flip the lid over. Store in dry place I guess for the water.

Last edited:
You never would on purpose, but if your used motor oil has some water in the bottom, it will let you know

I have never had an issue with mine fireballing. It does the fryer sound almost every time I let it run empty, cackles for about 10 minutes then goes out.

If you don't have diesel or something in them they take awhile to light. I just got one, but it only has waste cooking oil in it, and it takes a good amount of time for the propane torch to light it, but one it is lit, it works fine. I am going to start adding a little diesel to mine and later start to add used motor oil to burn some of that stuff off. I have to much in my garage.

Can you burn used synthetic motor oil?

20A2259C-AF9D-4507-B4CF-E6E69FB5D41C.jpeg
89865417-0B78-46D1-9BFD-6A7E2DBFE7B4.jpeg
Cut a few. I gave $85 for my old galvanized one. It does best with diesel. I’ve done a fair amount of wvo in it, but if your air mixture is wrong it is a smoke show. Also hard to light.

Kerosene, diesel, motor oil, power steering fluid, ATF, hydraulic oil, cooking oil. I run everything in mine.

NO GAS, NOTHING THAT MAY HAVE BRAKE CLEANER IN IT!

Also no gear oil. That shit stinks even worse when it burns. :lmao:

If you don't have diesel or something in them they take awhile to light. I just got one, but it only has waste cooking oil in it, and it takes a good amount of time for the propane torch to light it, but one it is lit, it works fine. I am going to start adding a little diesel to mine and later start to add used motor oil to burn some of that stuff off. I have to much in my garage.
have you tried a weed burner?
you know the big fucker that'll freeze up a 20lb tank from too fast of draw-down
I've been using one for starting my woodstove for the last few years, no kindling needed and an instant draft

I burn used ATF in my diesel, synth and conventional seem to burn exactly the same

What website is that? I bought it, couldn't resist for $64 shipped. If my credit card gets hacked I'm blaming you :laughing:
Shit to be honest each time I try to upload pics off my phone and hit post it says put in a url. I went to google, search smudge pot, images, clicked first one that looks original style and copy link. Did t even go to site 😬

I ordered one from them also. I placed the order on 12/23, i received a tracking number on 1/3. It was shipped from China.

Weird that happened. Also weird that on the receipt they sent me it is dated 9/12/20. The purchase I made was on 12/8/20. Working with the credit card company now to dispute the charge.

I'd go to instagram to look but blocked as long as I am in the office.

Weird that happened. Also weird that on the receipt they sent me it is dated 9/12/20. The purchase I made was on 12/8/20. Working with the credit card company now to dispute the charge.

I'd go to instagram to look but blocked as long as I am in the office.

The rest of the world uses day/month/year... so the date they sent is correct

Did yours arrive?

I also bought one from the link listed a couple pages back on 12/8/20. It has not arrived. I've sent 2 emails to enquire about the ship date and have no return information. This is starting to smell funny:confused:

https://www.bownmu.com/smudge-pot-u...tion?msclkid=1e8d11f3cb181042a7894e3eb36c21a8

It has not arrived, but I do have a tracking number LY588444504CN. Looks like it moved on 12-28-20, so maybe it is still OTW. Hard to say with the direct from china shippers.

Oh shit, I was trying to find a pic on phone, accidentally sent a chicom link and now they have 1/4 of the board’s personal info:laughing: Really hope some of you get them and report back good/bad/otherwise. Maybe they will show up 3’ tall. :flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh