What's new

Smudge Pot

Cool! We were camping with one this weekend and I told the guy that mine had the bottom damper and I had never seen another one that had it.

So we know there's at least 2 of them out there. :laughing:
3. I have a smaller really heavy duty one I found this summer that has one too.

Left it sitting out on the patio..... Water is scary. Smoking out of the edge of the pot, and it looks like it overflowed a bit...

Running half oil half diesel

20211113_153257.jpg

Ok so say someone got water in..... How does one get it out? :lmao:

Ok so say someone got water in..... How does one get it out? :lmao:
I'd try the vacuum oil sucker dingus that you'd use to suck oil out of things like lawn mowers and brake master cylinders

tip the pan so the water collects to one side, then suck on the bottom of there until it draws oil instead of water

Annnnnd it's out. I have lots of nasty diesel oil spatter everywhere :lmao: but sounded like fryer till it went out. (it was running on diesel)

This is listed for sale.

Not sure if the suggested fuel is a guess or not.

CNR Vintage Railway Boxcar Heater/naptha or alcohol fuelled $100.00

249543078_4442932485826181_4547468827529871307_n.jpg

This is listed for sale.
Not sure if the suggested fuel is a guess or not.
CNR Vintage Railway Boxcar Heater/naptha or alcohol fuelled $100.00
well, I'm sure you'd feed it alcohol when you're using it inside something that you don't want full of stink
shorter stack might not burn heavier oil as well?

the old milsurp water heaters have interested me in the past, I've got an old stock tank heater that's pretty similar in operation to those guys

well, I'm sure you'd feed it alcohol when you're using it inside something that you don't want full of stink
shorter stack might not burn heavier oil as well?

the old milsurp water heaters have interested me in the past, I've got an old stock tank heater that's pretty similar in operation to those guys
Neat. Another thing I didn't know existed. I've seen underwater wood stoves for hot tubs.

I have never seen one of these in person so I don’t know how heavy the metal has to be. Could I cut down a spare 55 gallon drum to make the base? How thick should the pipe be?

I had the exact same idea. And I got the base made, but haven't had time to complete the rest yet.
DSCF0520.JPG
That is exactly what I am thinking.

I spent some time last weekend and then today, and finished it - except for putting the lid on a hinge and the heat deflector for the top. But it works! It does not get as hot as some you guys have posted, so it may need a few tweaks.
Smudge Pot Rotated.jpg

I have a couple of buddies rounding me up some discarded semi stacks to use as pipe. Should look cool too.

I spent some time last weekend and then today, and finished it - except for putting the lid on a hinge and the heat deflector for the top. But it works! It does not get as hot as some you guys have posted, so it may need a few tweaks.
Smudge Pot Rotated.jpg

Your stack looks too tall and is probably hurting you a bit.

Not that you need to get these things red hot and shooting 15' flames. :laughing:

Not that you need to get these things red hot and shooting 15' flames. :laughing:
i wouldn't think the stack height is hurting it. usually you can hide problems with a bigger stack.

i think its the base of the stack doesn't have the cone shape to it. the cone helps create turbulence to mix the fuel and air. probably dont really even need to make it coned, but neck down the open space at the bottom.

i've messed around making one out of scrap, but never followed thru on finishing it. so i may be full of crap

It was always my understanding that taller stack means better draw. That's why I put the extra section of pipe on top. It can't hurt to try it without that next time I play with it.

I know it doesn't NEED to be red hot but I like options!

i think its the base of the stack doesn't have the cone shape to it. the cone helps create turbulence to mix the fuel and air. probably dont really even need to make it coned, but neck down the open space at the bottom.
Making it a cone was way too much extra work, so I hope that's not it. But you could be right.

It might be possible you need a bigger intake, with the taller stack. Is it burning clear, or does it smoke once warm?

It seemed pretty clear, but I didn't pay particularly great attention.
But I can try that too, easily. I can just pull the little drum bung out in addition to the intake.

Does fuel density make a difference? I was burning probably ~75% waste motor oil.

It seemed pretty clear, but I didn't pay particularly great attention.
But I can try that too, easily. I can just pull the little drum bung out in addition to the intake.

Does fuel density make a difference? I was burning probably ~75% waste motor oil.
I haven't had good luck burning straight oil, but adding a gallon or two of old diesel has worked well.

What you're burning makes a big difference. Straight diesel I can get it hot easily. I managed to bring mine on a wheelin trip and burned mostly motor oil. I had to have the vent open much more than I do with diesel just to keep it running.

Wasn't as hot as diesel but it managed to keep us warm for 2 or 3 hours till the fire got going good.

20211126_190637.jpg

The SmudgePotDirect smudge pot I got my brother for christmas worked flawlessly on its new years eve test run. I put 5 gallons of diesel in it around 8 and it was still going strong wide open at 2am when we went to bed. I did have to chip it out of the ice on the lake the next morning though, melted in a couple inches :homer:

Side note: no need for a torch when lighting off fireworks, it was hot enough to start the fuses

As I sit here by my pot listening to it crackle I figured I should put up a post about how boil over happens since I haven't seen anything to explain it to everyone.

Attachments

• PXL_20220116_230544514.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220116_230544514.MP.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 104
  • PXL_20220116_234411725.jpg
    PXL_20220116_234411725.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 102
Boil over is occurring because we end up with various liquids in they pot with dieting boiling points.

The industry example for this is an diesel tank during a refinery fire. The tank catches fire and had vapor boiled off of the surface. As for fighting water is put onto the tank watter ends up sitting in the bottom of the tank. As the flammable levels decreases eventually there is a limited amount of the diesel left. At this point the whole diesel mass rises about the boiling point of water (roughly 9" of thermal penetration). While the diesel is still liquid with a pool for in the surface the water below it starts to boil causing frothing and foaming fire overflowing.

Our pots are the same. When it's full, you could have an inch of water in the bottom and you might not manage to boil it. However when you get down to 2" of diesel and the pot is ripping the water may begin to boil.

This also can happen if you have a mixture of heavy oil, kerosene, gasoline and you exceeded the boiling point of one of the less volatile components of the mixture as it separates. This is because of the drastically varying boiling points of the cuts involved.

I don't worry much about the various mixed flammable but do want to ensure I don't get water buildup. As such I will start tilting the pot to a side and using a little pump to suck from the low point till I have oil/fuel whenever I think I BB have water in the pot. It should be easy to see when you get the water as water/oil stratify.

I apologize if this was imperfect but fuck it, I'm off the clock and drinking.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh